Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Austria v Ireland Match Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5859606162 63>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 12:17am
Credit?

It's just two games since he was derided as Trap with a Derry accent.

We're still relying on luck imo. Luck that Serbia didn't batter us in Belgrade, luck that Georgia didn't score 3 before half time in Dublin, Luck that Austria gave up after 15 minutes in Vienna, luck that Georgia and Serbia nicked second half points from nowhere in Cardiff.

Luck only gets you so far, and you don't qualify after 4 games. At home, we'll be the ones expected to go and win games, and all it takes is the luck to run out once and suddenly the group is anyone's again.
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.
Sponsored Links

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 12:31am
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Credit?

We're still relying on luck imo. Luck that Serbia didn't batter us in Belgrade, luck that Georgia didn't score 3 before half time in Dublin, Luck that Austria gave up after 15 minutes in Vienna, luck that Georgia and Serbia nicked second half points from nowhere in Cardiff.

Luck only gets you so far, and you don't qualify after 4 games. At home, we'll be the ones expected to go and win games, and all it takes is the luck to run out once and suddenly the group is anyone's again.

You're a gas man Planning.

I actually agree with you that we've been incredibly lucky to have gotten away with Austria, Georgia and Serbia hitting the woodwork at vital times and the table doesn't tell the full story but it seems that you cannot bear O'Neill that much that you won't give him credit for anything since he took charge.

Seeing as you're a results man.

Bottom line we beat Germany,Italy,Bosnia and Austria under O'Neill in vital games and no one of any real significance under Trap.

That's the truth of it and it just looks like you''re allowing your own irrational dislike of anyone but Trap to wanting to see our team do well.

There has to be some part of you that wants us to lose against Wales so you can post your diatribe towards our manager.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Missy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Missy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 12:41am
Luck has nothing to do with it. Every team we play our opposiitionhas an off day.
We were lucky to give away a penalty in Serbia and lucky that Austria finished with 10 men. Sure we had that much luck we gave Serbia and Georgia some too so they would draw with Wales.[EMAIL= ][/EMAIL]
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 12:56am

Credit?

^^^ Absolutely 100 percent honest to god RAGING that we won.

Luck that Georgia didn't score 3 before half time in Dublin - Georgia nicked points from nowhere in Cardiff LOL i love that assessment of how each game went respectively

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 18 Nov 2016 at 1:02am
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 1:00am
Good man planning. Thought you'd gone a bit quiet since the match. But then I saw that the Clown Convention was on this week so that explained why u were too busy to post.

You told us we'd be found out in this game. We weren't.

In your view, when we do badly, its MON's fault; when we do well, its luck.

Give us a break.

I bet youre still gonna claim that 2011 was a better year than 2016!

Edited by rolo - 18 Nov 2016 at 1:02am
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 2:19am
I don't want Ireland to lose any game. It certainly wouldn't surprise me if we didn't beat Wales here, we're at home and this time the onus is on us to win. I expect it to go similar to the Scotland games last time.

Like I said, two games ago MON was Trap with a Derry accent. It's three games since we completed one pass per minute. Qualifying is not about winning games, it's about getting results. We were not expected to beat Germany or Austria or Serbia, so we could sit in our own half and look to hit on the counter. At times it's worked. At other times like at the Euros, the tactic fell flat on it's face, where two of the four games were lost and two points were needlessly thrown into the Seine.

There are 6 games to go. The win in Vienna will only mean something if we get over the line.
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 8:49am

I don't want Ireland to lose any game under O'Neill. It certainly would be a pleasant surprise if we didn't beat Wales here, we're at home and this time the onus is on us to win. I hope it goes similar to the Scotland games last time.

Just had to use a google translate on your bullsh*t post.

It clearly sickens you that we're doing well under O'Neill and in a great position. Why don't you just admit you cannot stand O'Neill who used to play for the 'Brits in Green'  

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 9:03am
I would disagree. We didn't get lucky in Austria, we deservedly beat them. Hitting the woodwork is missing the target, just like Walters did with the best chance of the first half.
We got lucky when beating Germany at home last year and Holland at home in 2001, but not last week IMO
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 9:15am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

I would disagree. We didn't get lucky in Austria, we deservedly beat them. Hitting the woodwork is missing the target, just like Walters did with the best chance of the first half.
We got lucky when beating Germany at home last year and Holland at home in 2001, but not last week IMO

"Hitting the woodwork is missing the target"

Haha brilliant, makes sense alright. Best thing I've heard on here.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 9:32am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

It still doesn't take away from the fact like Walters both sides were lucky not to concede. No harm in admitting that as it doesn't take away from a completely deserved win.

It does in Planning's alternative universe though LOL
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 10:02am
The luckiest I have ever seen us being was against Holland in 2001 and Russia in Moscow 2011.

Germany had an off day last year but we got our tactics and team selection spot on. It wasn't luck!

A lot of teams who have a decent Euro's/World Cup have a hangover at the start of the next set of qualifiers and arguably our 90 minutes v Serbia and the 1st 45 minutes against Georgia, was our hangover and we are through the back of it now.

Credit doesn't have to just go to MON, it should go to the whole squad, coaching staff, MON and Keano. There is clearly a great team morale and a lot of self belief about the squad now that was lacking for a long time.
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 10:03am
You create your own luck, bounce of a ball etc maybe it's through sheer persistance and bloody mindedness and we've gotten through these games. 

It was luck that gave the Serbs a pen, luck that Hoolahan missed a one-on-one v Italy, luck that Walters missed a sitter in Vienna, luck that we hit the woodwork 2 or 3 times against Georgia was it? No, that's all just bad play I'm sure. But when the opposition play poorly or miss a sitter or hit the woodwork, we're the lucky ones.

The team are playing better, there's more confidence in themselves you can see it when you're looking at them, they believe in eachother. We're no world beaters and I still think we went into our shells terribly against Serbia, but we're clear at the top of the group and that is not just down to luck.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 11:25am

Like I said, two games ago MON was Trap with a Derry accent.  

"I had more fun gloating and calling him sh*t two games ago, therefore two games ago he was Trap with a Derry accent"
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 11:45am
Originally posted by notpropaganda73 notpropaganda73 wrote:

You create your own luck, bounce of a ball etc maybe it's through sheer persistance and bloody mindedness and we've gotten through these games. 

It was luck that gave the Serbs a pen, luck that Hoolahan missed a one-on-one v Italy, luck that Walters missed a sitter in Vienna, luck that we hit the woodwork 2 or 3 times against Georgia was it? No, that's all just bad play I'm sure. But when the opposition play poorly or miss a sitter or hit the woodwork, we're the lucky ones.

The team are playing better, there's more confidence in themselves you can see it when you're looking at them, they believe in eachother. We're no world beaters and I still think we went into our shells terribly against Serbia, but we're clear at the top of the group and that is not just down to luck.

Clap 100%.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 11:46am

Spot on. We have momentum and a belief in ourselves. Before Germany at home last year, we hadn't beaten a team ranked higher than us since Holland in 2001. Now we've beaten four. Those results are much more valuable than any perceived luck.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 11:54am
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Clap 100%.

Absolutely spot on. Apparently we're the luckiest team in world football. Nobody ever remembers the luck that went the way of the other team. We're no more or less lucky than any other nation. 

It seems for us not to be "lucky", a team playing us would have to play 10/10 performances from every man on the pitch, zero errors whatsoever, and convert every single decent chance they get. And of course beat us. Which is precisely what some people want so they can get on their 'I told you so' high horse, so i can understand why it's easier to beat the drum that we are somehow lucky.

but when youre arguing with someone who says that Georgia were 'unlucky not to score 3' in Dublin when they offered very little apart from one good chance, and got a point from Wales 'out of nowhere' where they missed 3 or 4 genuine sitters in the second half and were all over Wales, there really is no point. There were people on here saying Moldova were 'unlucky' that they didn't get the crucial third goal and go on to win the match, that their lack of play somehow warranted ffs

If you were to look at it through that lens, genuinely no team in the history of world football has deserved to win any competition they have ever won. because they were lucky at some point in it.

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 18 Nov 2016 at 12:02pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 12:13pm
The best team usually wins in football because the best team take more of their chances, why people bother responding to Planning at this stage is beyond me, the George Costanza of YBIG.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 12:17pm
Honestly, the last game i can remember that we were genuinely lucky to get what we did, as in the feeling that "we are jammy cxxts who have just robbed these" is MON's first competitive game in charge against Georgia away, McGeady 2-1. I would have said it about Scotland in Celtic Park had it finished 0-0 too which of course it didn't. 

The rest of our results, win lose or draw have been largely fair. We are top of the group because we are battling through every game, keeping our heads in the decisive moments, with an incredible work ethic, good decision making, and most important of all self-belief. Are we a great side? No. Do we play great football? No. But you dont have to be a great side who plays great football to succeed in relative terms in international football. We are extracting the absolute maximum from our available resources right now, which is the best we can do. And that's got us this far  

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 18 Nov 2016 at 12:18pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5859606162 63>
  Share Topic