Austria v Ireland Match Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 63>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Austria v Ireland Match Thread
    Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 2:52am
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Last campaign: This campaign:

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

pure and simple...under Trap...under Trap...under Trap etc etc etc.

Originally posted by Darraghn92 Darraghn92 wrote:

Don't forget under Trap

Well we can in this case, as he was not in charge for any of the games I posted. Now the results are someone else's responsibility.
Sponsored Links

Skripi91 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skripi91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 8:48am
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by Peter Stöger Peter Stöger wrote:

Footage of the last time we beat Austria in '63, British Pathe ffs LOL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ShVGIk1Gec

The auld lad was at that match. Look at the huge crowd when we equalize

As if you'd get away with that these days.

There's no way Dalymount Park held 45,000 fans then or at any other point in its history. Very reminsicent of the infamous game in February 1985 against Italy when there were 40k plus inside the ground - it's almost a miracle we didn't have a Hillsborough of our own along the way.

Absolutely crazy to watch footage likes this.
People running on the pitch after ervery goal or guys sitting on the floodlighits or near or even on the sideline.
Imagine stuff like this todayLOL

Edited by Skripi91 - 21 Nov 2016 at 8:49am
The Euros gonna hear the Irish ROAR
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2016 at 7:42pm
Couldn't make the Austria trip last week due to various commitments but having finally got to see the full game on Friday, here's my few thoughts on a brilliant victory!

http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/2016/11/wien-ner-alright.html?m=1
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
orourkeda View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orourkeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2016 at 4:31pm
https://www.orourkeda.blog

Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2016 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Footage of the last time we beat Austria in '63, British Pathe ffs LOL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ShVGIk1Gec

There's no way Dalymount Park held 45,000 fans then or at any other point in its history. Very reminsicent of the infamous game in February 1985 against Italy when there were 40k plus inside the ground - it's almost a miracle we didn't have a Hillsborough of our own along the way.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2016 at 9:56am

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Missy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Missy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2016 at 8:06am
Robbie missed a 1 V 1that night with Quinn screaming for the ball to tap into an empty net.
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2016 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by Hickster74 Hickster74 wrote:

That Macedonia goal was horrible..worse was all the c#nts after the whistle 'Sure, aren't we in the play-offs'

I just knew we hadn't a hope in the playoffs.  Just a total sickener and flight home delayed for what felt like hours and hours too.  They were missing 8 players.  We should have been out of sight. 

Mick McCarthy was very very lucky to survive that night but obviously glad he did given what happened in the next campaign.  And no sorry I'm not going to put anymore in writing.

Denis Irwin's last cap too great player.    
Hickster74 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hickster74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2016 at 12:02pm
That Macedonia goal was horrible..worse was all the c#nts after the whistle 'Sure, aren't we in the play-offs'
"Perhaps the reason that they did not consider the worst, was because discussion of such cases would have cast suspicion on the planner as being a "saboteur". Paranoia was rampant throughout."
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2016 at 11:24am
Macedonia was the worst for me too.  A team we should have hammered and to be hit by such an avoidable sucker punch.

Sure we were cheated out of a place in a World Cup by Nazare and possibly also to a lesser extent in 09 by Henry but Skopje 99 was a real low.   

Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2016 at 10:41am

Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

We had a serious team back around '02, easily on a par with, for arguments sake, the Croatia of today. Lots of very decent lads playing up near the business end of the biggest leagues in the world and a sprinkling of genuine world class talent. We have nothing like that today. I would back our lads today with the belief they have to go out and take points off anyone on their day, but in a hypothetical 2 legged playoff between Ireland 2002 and Ireland 2016, the '02 lads would be very heavy favourites. What this team is accomplishing given its limitations is an extremely impressive achievement.

Let's not get carried away here, our only world class player in 02 was walking his dog.

In fairness,he's right, in 02 we had Given, Kelly, Harte who'd played Champions League over the previous few seasons and Robbie Keane who played a couple of games in it for Inter which cup tied him for the Leeds semi final run. We had Duff and Finnan who'd go on to play in it the next few seasons. We had Staunton and Quinn who'd won leagues and other trophies in England and been part of Jack's team. And a couple of others, like McAfee and Holland who had European experience in other competitions. No comparison with today's team or Trap's squads for that matter. Both O'Neill and Trap did well with that was at their disposal. MON has the edge now due to the wins v Germany, Bosnia, Italy and Austria which are better than any competitive results Trap was able to achieve. I'd argue O'Neill has had better luck (3rd place finish in qualifying and in finals being enough, facing an Italy team with nothing to play for, not having the likes of a Henry handball to deal with etc) but we're on an upward curve at the moment whereas with Trap our best campaign was actually the first one despite qualifying in our second.

Interesting auld debate this. While I have great respect for McCarthy and the team of 02, it has to be remembered that (excluding his last two matches for Euro 2004) we only had that one good campaign from 96 to 2002. Those defeats in Belgrade, Bucharest, Brussels and Zagreb not to mention the games in Macedonia are a testament that we had a serious lack of composure away from home in the McCarthy era. Far too many soft late goals and while the football was great, it's all about results. You can argue that he was partially rebuilding a team after the Charlton era but then you could say O'Neill has the same handicap if not more today. 

Here's one typical goal from that era that I couldn't see happening today http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcwJm87ycY4

The soft goals continued right up until Trap took over. I take it for granted now that we are unlikely to concede that soft a goal where a harmless pass somehow bobbles its way through our defence, there were a lot of sickening goals like that for a very long time. Indeed that was the praise of Trap in the early goings of his first campaign where a lot of us said "alright, we're not setting the world alight going forward at all, but at least we've cut out the soft goals". In fact there was no 'at least' about it, that was a huge thing for us at the time the fact that we had become hard to break down again. We were leaking sh*t goals like a sieve for about 6 years. The one Ireland game i will never forget for the sheer horror of it was the 2-2 draw at home to israel. How does a c**t score a header from outside the f**king box Dead

Couldn't really make any comment on the rest of McCarthy's time before the '02 campaign as i was too little a lad to watch it Embarrassed I had just gone 8 years old and my old man wanted to take me to my first Ireland match at Lansdowne which the mother said no way no how (for what reason i've no idea, id have thought that's a reasonable enough age) and he backed down. That match was against Holland. Being sickened for nearly 15 years over that fact wasn't fun LOL

Jaysus that's bad form, hope he divorced her LOL The Dutch game was special for me in that about a year after it my old man who introduced me to the bug passed away prematurely and there was nothing sweeter than celebrating that McAteer goal with us and laughing as Van Gaal resorted to long balls Tongue

I thought you were slightly older, but it's probably just as well you missed out on the Euro 2000 campaign, 45 seconds left in injury time to automatic qualification DeadDeadDead We ended up drawing Turkey in the playoffs

The late soft goals continued in the Trap era as well, see Italy at home and Austria home and away for example. Very harsh to say McCarthy only had one good campaign, he got us to 2nd place in all 3 campaigns, the first where he had a huge rebuilding job and we unluckily missed out in a play off v Belgium, the 2nd where, as you say, we were seconds away from topping a group with Croatia, who'd just finished 3rd in the World Cup and a very strong Yugoslavia team. Again unlucky in the play off v Turkey. And then finally splitting Portugal and Holland by which time he'd completely rebuilt the team. The 2nd and 3rd campaigns were far tougher groups than this campaign or the last and there was no comfort blanket of 3rd place getting a play off. In fact, had the same WC qualifying rules been in place in 98 and were under Jack, we'd have qualified for 98 in second, the only group we've ever topped in qualifying remains Euro 88.

That Macedonia goal remains the biggest kick in the stones I've ever had following Ireland, still sickens me thinking of it.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Peter Stöger View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2016 at 3:29am
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2016 at 3:10am
We'll prepare and go, and do our best
we'll put 'em under pressure
The game is about being effective
Being aggressive winning the ball
Getting on with the play
We'll put 'em under pressure

It's not going to be easy for us
But it's not going to be easy for them either
We inflict our game on other people
Put 'em under pressure

How that rung true against Austria ClapClapClap
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2016 at 2:23am

We had a serious team back around '02, easily on a par with, for arguments sake, the Croatia of today. Lots of very decent lads playing up near the business end of the biggest leagues in the world and a sprinkling of genuine world class talent. We have nothing like that today. I would back our lads today with the belief they have to go out and take points off anyone on their day, but in a hypothetical 2 legged playoff between Ireland 2002 and Ireland 2016, the '02 lads would be very heavy favourites. What this team is accomplishing given its limitations is an extremely impressive achievement.

Let's not get carried away here, our only world class player in 02 was walking his dog.

In fairness,he's right, in 02 we had Given, Kelly, Harte who'd played Champions League over the previous few seasons and Robbie Keane who played a couple of games in it for Inter which cup tied him for the Leeds semi final run. We had Duff and Finnan who'd go on to play in it the next few seasons. We had Staunton and Quinn who'd won leagues and other trophies in England and been part of Jack's team. And a couple of others, like McAfee and Holland who had European experience in other competitions. No comparison with today's team or Trap's squads for that matter. Both O'Neill and Trap did well with that was at their disposal. MON has the edge now due to the wins v Germany, Bosnia, Italy and Austria which are better than any competitive results Trap was able to achieve. I'd argue O'Neill has had better luck (3rd place finish in qualifying and in finals being enough, facing an Italy team with nothing to play for, not having the likes of a Henry handball to deal with etc) but we're on an upward curve at the moment whereas with Trap our best campaign was actually the first one despite qualifying in our second.

Interesting auld debate this. While I have great respect for McCarthy and the team of 02, it has to be remembered that (excluding his last two matches for Euro 2004) we only had that one good campaign from 96 to 2002. Those defeats in Belgrade, Bucharest, Brussels and Zagreb not to mention the games in Macedonia are a testament that we had a serious lack of composure away from home in the McCarthy era. Far too many soft late goals and while the football was great, it's all about results. You can argue that he was partially rebuilding a team after the Charlton era but then you could say O'Neill has the same handicap if not more today. 

Here's one typical goal from that era that I couldn't see happening today http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcwJm87ycY4

The soft goals continued right up until Trap took over. I take it for granted now that we are unlikely to concede that soft a goal where a harmless pass somehow bobbles its way through our defence, there were a lot of sickening goals like that for a very long time. Indeed that was the praise of Trap in the early goings of his first campaign where a lot of us said "alright, we're not setting the world alight going forward at all, but at least we've cut out the soft goals". In fact there was no 'at least' about it, that was a huge thing for us at the time the fact that we had become hard to break down again. We were leaking sh*t goals like a sieve for about 6 years. The one Ireland game i will never forget for the sheer horror of it was the 2-2 draw at home to israel. How does a c**t score a header from outside the f**king box Dead

Couldn't really make any comment on the rest of McCarthy's time before the '02 campaign as i was too little a lad to watch it Embarrassed I had just gone 8 years old and my old man wanted to take me to my first Ireland match at Lansdowne which the mother said no way no how (for what reason i've no idea, id have thought that's a reasonable enough age) and he backed down. That match was against Holland. Being sickened for nearly 15 years over that fact wasn't fun LOL

Jaysus that's bad form, hope he divorced her LOL The Dutch game was special for me in that about a year after it my old man who introduced me to the bug passed away prematurely and there was nothing sweeter than celebrating that McAteer goal with us and laughing as Van Gaal resorted to long balls Tongue

I thought you were slightly older, but it's probably just as well you missed out on the Euro 2000 campaign, 45 seconds left in injury time to automatic qualification DeadDeadDead We ended up drawing Turkey in the playoffs

edit according to the commentator there was 3 minutes injury time, so in other words 4 seconds left to play when then ball went out for a corner, ,4 seconds from qualification Shocked
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2016 at 2:20am
If anyone wants to watch 9 minutes of highlights from Vienna '95 this footage is fairly good quality: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iy-qQR4okk
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2016 at 2:17am

OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2016 at 1:55am

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 19 Nov 2016 at 2:05am
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by bogball88 bogball88 wrote:

Is there anywhere you can view a full re run of the match?
RTE player. If youre blocked from viewing it in the black North, download an app called hola that will get you around that issue

Clap - Thanks Sham.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 63>
  Share Topic