You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Europes Best and Worst Airports

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randyrandolph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 3:10pm
agree with lots of points above. 

always enjoyed derry airport for the pints before you step onto the plane. you can get from front door to departure in a few minutes too.

kerry airport is another favorite of mine.

in the uk inverness is my favorite smaller airport. beautiful scenery going in and out. 

of the london ones prefer heathrow T5. Stansted has made improvements and is now quick on arrival but it is still a horrible experience.

i love airports.

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by randyrandolph randyrandolph wrote:

always enjoyed derry airport for the pints before you step onto the plane. you can get from front door to departure in a few minutes too.

in the uk inverness is my favorite smaller airport. beautiful scenery going in and out. 

of the london ones prefer heathrow T5. Stansted has made improvements and is now quick on arrival but it is still a horrible experience.

i love airports.

ConfusedConfused 
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

Originally posted by Blue Man Blue Man wrote:

Byrner, whats your favourites? Im bloody intrigued
Good point BM, I thought Byrner would have loved a thread like this LOL

I liked Hong Kong and Singapore while transiting to and from Australia 7 years ago.

Warsaw Modlin has to be the worst one I've been to, I'd have hated to have been stuck there for hours with a delayed flight.

I'm sure Lyon airport will be nice when they've finished the work on it but all I saw of it when coming home from the Euros was a series of portacabins and temporary walkways. And as mentioned, quite expensive to get to. Taxi from my hotel (6am flight so had no choice) to the express tram stop  outside Part Deux station and the express tram came to about €30 altogether. Angry 

I had a quick scan last night through the thread, id echo most points from a costumers point of view obviously I have other experiences in various airports from ATC, ground crew etc.

Singapore is possibly the best in the world, outstanding gym etc Dubai is also pretty astonishing. Modlin is possibly the worst I have ever encountered in terms of facilities and security the fact I was able to get a 2 litre bottle of Coke through is scary... Dubrovnik is pretty relaxed with their security also but not to that level. BA's terminal is fantastic, T4 a nightmare LOL

Personally i like quieter airports, i.e. Belfast City, Dublin, Belfast and now Southampton which later tonight I board a flight to Belfast for a few days less queues less hassle in general i.e. Gatwick when a passenger lands with Easy, RYR, Jet2? I think now also, they will have a 15-20 min walk to the exit.. Madness. I love CDG, its a magnificent sight, on approach.. lovely, New York shocking, just behind LAX for the worst ATC going. 

Airports will continue to improve and grow due to passenger demand, i.e. RYR released a statement yesterday which suggested they are looking close to 1000 pilots FO's in the coming year, Easyjet 500 FO's Jet2 (not sure on the exact number 200/300?) Thomson, recruiting, BA well on average we've had 30-40 a month from Easy recently.. there has never been a better time to get into the industry there simply isn't enough cadet pilots at the likes of CTC,CAE,FTE the three main schools. I'd expect a lot of airports to upgrade their facilities as Dublin have/intend to do and Belfast international who very recently had a major overhaul.

Bob, Commercial Pilot training is roughly 14 months... depending on what airline the cadet get type rated at. 

Edited by SByrne24 - 05 Oct 2016 at 3:28pm
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 3:27pm
I cant understand the hatred for Stansted.

My sister lives nearby so I use it a lot.

It's a fcuking airport, I dont eat there, shop there, drink there - I use it because they have airplanes there. Get in and get out.

I like Madrid airport.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 3:29pm
Stansted is a shocking airport as is Luton, drab miserable.
sullo-bohs View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sullo-bohs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 3:30pm
Addis Ababa is perhaps the worst airport known to man, the staff in the cafe's could not give any less of a fu*k if they tried, think I had to pay €7-8 for a plate of cold chips which took about 25mins to arrive and asking them for anything like a drink sure ye may as well of told them their mother was a ***t.

Also washing my hands whilst someone washes their feet beside me was an interesting experience, I understand cultures and prayer time for some people but surely they can wash their feet in a more easier and hygienic way.

Then the airport staff give the shop/cafe staff a good run for their money in terms of how helpful they are, and for what its worth the poxy national airline are a disgrace. Phew...rant over. 
"Napoleon chose his generals because they were lucky, not because they were brave"
randyrandolph View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randyrandolph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

It's a fcuking airport, I dont eat there, shop there, drink there - I use it because they have airplanes there. Get in and get out.

I like Madrid airport.

half the problem with stansted is the name, London Stansted. It's not London. It's not even close. It should be called Essex airport if anything. or just Stansted. but not london. by the time you get there on the poxy train from liverpool st you've already had a miserable experience. it stops in tottenham for christ sake. nothing should ever stop in tottenham. 
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randyrandolph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 3:34pm
gatwick recently built a nandos which puts it up there with Singapore, which i agree is a fantastic airport.

500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randyrandolph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

i love airports.

ConfusedConfused 
ConfusedConfused
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

What other airports allow smoking beyond security cos Newcastle can't be the only one surely.

When I went to Alcudia last month and saw the smoking sign I almost burst into happy tears, smokers will know what I mean by when once you're past security the wait for the next cig is never ending 

There is a beer garden in Dublin airport past security where you can smoke. Used to love it when I was on the lovely lovely fags
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 3:41pm

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

i love airports.

ConfusedConfused 
ConfusedConfused
I just don't understand it, an airport is my idea of hell.
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 3:42pm

I like Madrid airport.

half the problem with stansted is the name, London Stansted. It's not London. It's not even close. It should be called Essex airport if anything. or just Stansted. but not london. by the time you get there on the poxy train from liverpool st you've already had a miserable experience. it stops in tottenham for christ sake. nothing should ever stop in tottenham. 

LOL  - Perfect.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 3:50pm
What be your favourite and worst airport from a pilot pov Byrner I'd be interested
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 4:03pm
Interesting question, some airports are challenging Madeira for example is a curse from what I've seen and been told, manual flying similar to Gibraltar, airports like that are fun. From a scenic perspective a lot of the American big cities as you'd expect, Vegas (in the evening) , NYC, Boston RY27 in particular. I despise LAX, absolutely hate the place.

I've a friend who recently joined Thomson on the 787 the views they see heading towards the Caribbean are beautiful.

Edited by SByrne24 - 05 Oct 2016 at 4:06pm
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 4:12pm
Interesting video in terms of the Funchal.

Would majority of airports you fly into though be programmed in the plane ?
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 4:15pm
Another BS Sbyrne fact, crew use different security to everyone else and can take through 2l bottles, including in Dublin

Source? I worked in the airport and used to do it
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 4:15pm

I like Madrid airport.

half the problem with stansted is the name, London Stansted. It's not London. It's not even close. It should be called Essex airport if anything. or just Stansted. but not london. by the time you get there on the poxy train from liverpool st you've already had a miserable experience. it stops in tottenham for christ sake. nothing should ever stop in tottenham
Apart from Man City's unbeaten run in the EPL. TongueLOL

Sorry for going off-topic for a moment there but I just couldn't resist that one. LOL

Any particular reason you hate LAX Byrner?

Edited by ConorMac77 - 05 Oct 2016 at 4:26pm
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Another BS Sbyrne fact, crew use different security to everyone else and can take through 2l bottles, including in Dublin

Source? I worked in the airport and used to do it

In fairness, he doesn't say he was flying as crew on that occasion. Also, if he works for BA, it would make sense that he wasn't flying as crew in or out of Modlin, where BA don't fly.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 05 Oct 2016 at 4:18pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic