You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Europes Best and Worst Airports

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by eire32 eire32 wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Oh and a special mention to possibly the worst is Stockholm Skavsta or whatver the one in the middle of nowhere is called.

Was that the kip we had the run in With our Turkish taxi driver friend?

No that was the other one in the middle of nowhere. Stockholm Arlanda is a fine airport and coyne will be happy to know it too has a bus stop type of smoking arrangement in departures.

London Gatwick (especially south terminal) is one of the best airports in the world. Quick and efficient security and pleasant environment in departures however it loses a points for the lengthy of time from pulling away from gate to takeoff. it really needs a second runway. Heathrow is a great airport although I've only used terminals 2/3 and 5.

London Stansted is a dump and pretty much the opposite of Gatwick. Prestwick falls into the same category.

Oslo Torp has little going for it but if you've time then head to the town of Torp. A beautiful town by a fjord.

Milan Malpensa is also another dump.

Edited by colemanY2K - 04 Oct 2016 at 7:55pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 8:14pm
Now you're talking.

My favourite airport in Europe is probably Oslo Gardermoen airport, lovely place altogether, good service, good array of shops and food and so on - although Barcelona is a close second. Vienna airport is nice enough for the same reasons. Schiphol is very good. I'd actually include Dublin T2 as one of the nicer ones as well if it weren't for the fact that you've to basically walk from there to T1 for your flight in reality. Most of the German airports are lovely with a notable exception.

Some middling airports are the low-cost airline ones that are actually quite nice for small places - Brussels Charleroi is a nice one like that, as well as a decent few of the UK airports that aren't in London - Liverpool and Newcastle would come to mind.

The worst airport i've been in Europe by a mile is Paris Beauvais. Anyone who has been there will attest to that. An absolute sh*thole that's two hours outside where i need to be. There are also some of the low-cost ones where there's just nothing there at all like Krakow, Bratislava, Oslo Rygge (also miles away). Leeds Bradford an appalling sh*thole as well. The exception to the German rule is Berlin Schonefeld - an absolute dive of a place. 

Then there are ones that don't neatly fit into any of those. Budapest, if you're getting an Aer Lingus flight i'm sure is lovely, it's a great airport, but i've only ever got Ryanair and Wizzair from there so they make you stand in a shed for about 2 hours before you can board. Also brussels Zaventem, i was there a couple months ago; looks nice but security (understandably) ramped up to the nines makes it difficult to get around in it

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 04 Oct 2016 at 8:15pm
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Now you're talking.

My favourite airport in Europe is probably Oslo Gardermoen airport, lovely place altogether, good service, good array of shops and food and so on - although Barcelona is a close second. Vienna airport is nice enough for the same reasons. Schiphol is very good. I'd actually include Dublin T2 as one of the nicer ones as well if it weren't for the fact that you've to basically walk from there to T1 for your flight in reality. Most of the German airports are lovely with a notable exception.

Some middling airports are the low-cost airline ones that are actually quite nice for small places - Brussels Charleroi is a nice one like that, as well as a decent few of the UK airports that aren't in London - Liverpool and Newcastle would come to mind.

The worst airport i've been in Europe by a mile is Paris Beauvais. Anyone who has been there will attest to that. An absolute sh*thole that's two hours outside where i need to be. There are also some of the low-cost ones where there's just nothing there at all like Krakow, Bratislava, Oslo Rygge (also miles away). Leeds Bradford an appalling sh*thole as well. The exception to the German rule is Berlin Schonefeld - an absolute dive of a place. 

Then there are ones that don't neatly fit into any of those. Budapest, if you're getting an Aer Lingus flight i'm sure is lovely, it's a great airport, but i've only ever got Ryanair and Wizzair from there so they make you stand in a shed for about 2 hours before you can board. Also brussels Zaventem, i was there a couple months ago; looks nice but security (understandably) ramped up to the nines makes it difficult to get around in it

TBF Krakow has got a revamp and the rail link to the city is the business, still needs better food outlets
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 8:36pm
Dublin used to be among the worst airports, until the second terminal came along. The place was organised chaos and far less accessible from a transport pov. Now
the second terminal resembles more like a modern airport of a major European city. But it still lacks a rail link which is standard practice throughout any Western European capital. It also has no translations whatsoever to cater for non English speakers. While English is the first language of aviation worldwide, the DAA should realise that not everyone going through it speaks it fluently.

Vienna used to be the worst airport, with it's crazy and complicated Arrivals Areas, and tedious security scans at every Departure gate. However the Arrivals area has improved recently.

Moscow Domodedovo Airport is an obstacle course of Rules and Regulations. You won't get in or out unless you pass every single one. Visas take ages to sift through, while cash can't be changed without identification. Then it all has to be got rid of before you leave. Fail to comply and you face further interminable delays.

Paris CDG is the unluckiest airport I've ever been in, and any trip I've been on that involves going through that airport, has always encountered an unexpected issue somewhere along the line.

Munich Airport is probably the best I've been to. Spacious, comfortable, efficient, with raillinks, and very easy to get to, from, and around.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 9:28pm
Belfast international - sh*te hole but at least now the toilets are nice - God help anybody stuck there for any length of time

Stansted - grand don't mind it at al apart for the frigging delays but not a sbad as Gatwick

Gatwick South - fair if your flight is on time, if not expect to spend 30 mins driving around waiting for a take off slot

Gatwick North - terminal itself is ok gate 55;s sh*t holes with precious little seating , poor mobile signal and guanrenteed delays

Luton  - grand to fly into sh*t to fly out of

Heathrow - was pleasantly surprised when I meet up with the Hornets I think in Terminal 2 on way to srajevo  - very nice and security staff very pleasant

Special mention to Chicago O Hare ( yeah I know its not in Europe but whatever terminal I was in flying home  fuk all before security and a drinks cart after security )  disgrace
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 9:52pm
Paris Beauvais is bad, woefully organised and small. La Rochelle is even worse mind, you couldn't swing a cat in there. Typical terrible Ryanair spots in the arsehole of nowhere half the time.

irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 10:19pm
Paris Orly and Barcelona are lovely airports. Paris beauvais is a kip as stated but Modlin Warsaw and that shed in La Rochelle run a close 2nd and 3rd for me like a construction site.
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

Worst Airport was Waterford, it was like a cafe withna metal detector. Best was Copenhagen, in and out in five minutes and only ten minutes from town.

I'm going to take issue with this, and not just because I'm from here. There aren't many airports ya can rock up to with the plane out on the tarmac spinning the propellers (not big enough for jets) about 20 minutes before take off & still get on to it with little more than a ' Jaysus lads, ye cut it a bit fine, try & be on time next time' .

If its pubs or cafes or shops yer after, then, yes, it is a terrible airport. If yer looking for the shortest security queue anywhere outside of owning yer own private jet, or an airport that you can go from front door to plane in 20 minutes, its the best one I've ever been in & I wish they were all like that. Airport currently has no flights to anywhere after VKM (I think they were called, Belgian crowd) pulled their last route (to Birmingham I think) nearly a year ago & future looks bleak enough unless they get another carrier in, and there aren't many carriers operating planes small enough to land there & have a viable route, nearly all the small ones have been tried at this stage. 

Best ? Singapore, and if its shops & pubs you want, you won't go wrong there . Generally prefer the Ryanair ex-military airfield type ones as they are inevitably quieter, with generally less fcuking eejits fluting about the place, any of the smaller ones really, some nice examples in Poland, Gdansk, Poznan, Wroclaw, Krakow are all decent airports. 

Worst ? Paris CDG. Won't hear of anything else, though I'm not fond of Luton, mainly due to the fact it seems so miserable, and its always raining outside, and tis miserable. And you always end up in that ridiculously crowded main departure place for an hour while waiting on your gate to appear on a screen, before you are eventually ushered down some dull, dingy corridor to a tiny waiting room that hasn't seen paint since 1973 before heading out, in the inevitable rain, to a quarter mile walk across the tarmac in the dark. 

Dublin I have to say has improved massively, though I do think it still has ridiculously long security queues at times, and an odd time, passport checking can be slow on the way back in. Improve those 2 things, and it is probably one of the best for the sheer amount of passengers it handles. 

And seeing as I'm replying to a Cork chap, can you or someone else tell me exactly why it is that you wait forever for a checked bag to arrive at the carousel in Cork, especially on a nighttime flight ? Inside the terminal & through passport control in 5 minutes, wait an hour for the bag. WTF is all that about, the plane is beside the f**king building. Other than that, a grand airport too. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Now you're talking.

TBF Krakow has got a revamp and the rail link to the city is the business, still needs better food outlets

Aye i was in it a lot of times but the most recent is when it was still being done up!
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 11:10pm
Cork Airport, again handy enough airport but security dosnt open till 5am. ( 4.30 in peak season i think) so if your looking for pre flight pints on an early flight you will have to sup them fairly fast. Dont normally do the checked in bag thing but did coming back from the euros via Amsterdam didnt think the wait was that long the only thing i would say customs do seem to be sticky enough up there alway looking for cigs on the flights from the canary islands and weed from Amsterdam.
Passport control is a breeze and myself and a friend swapped passports once and still got waived through. The lack of use of airbridges is a pain in the hole too.
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 11:11pm
Dublin: can't remember what it's like, even though I used to work there
Shannon: dat's not Limerick Cidday
Heathrow: grotty
Manchester: cramped, grotty and sarky
Edinburgh: ahreet big mon
Gatwick: where's the train?
Belfast City: whisssstle stop airport in Ulsssster
Stansted: drunk, sober, and then back to drunk again
Liverpool: khlass, deadly, likhe
Newcastle: champion
Sschiphole: yeeeash, I like, I like
Stockholm Arlanda: snowy
Stockholm Skavsta: doesn't exist
Gdansk: squareheaded
Krakow: a nice taxi drive out, didn't have time to get the train
Prague: swish - bus to metro sucks
Tallinn: sh*t food, like everywhere in Estonia
Geneva: boring, like everywhere in Switzerland
Barcelona: big
Girona: you can smoke
Palma: big, rusty coloured stone
Lanzarote: hell
Abu Dhabi: too tired to remember
Sydney: upside down

de scientist View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote de scientist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 1:51am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

Worst Airport was Waterford, it was like a cafe withna metal detector. Best was Copenhagen, in and out in five minutes and only ten minutes from town.

I'm going to take issue with this, and not just because I'm from here. There aren't many airports ya can rock up to with the plane out on the tarmac spinning the propellers (not big enough for jets) about 20 minutes before take off & still get on to it with little more than a ' Jaysus lads, ye cut it a bit fine, try & be on time next time' .

If its pubs or cafes or shops yer after, then, yes, it is a terrible airport. If yer looking for the shortest security queue anywhere outside of owning yer own private jet, or an airport that you can go from front door to plane in 20 minutes, its the best one I've ever been in & I wish they were all like that. Airport currently has no flights to anywhere after VKM (I think they were called, Belgian crowd) pulled their last route (to Birmingham I think) nearly a year ago & future looks bleak enough unless they get another carrier in, and there aren't many carriers operating planes small enough to land there & have a viable route, nearly all the small ones have been tried at this stage. 

Best ? Singapore, and if its shops & pubs you want, you won't go wrong there . Generally prefer the Ryanair ex-military airfield type ones as they are inevitably quieter, with generally less fcuking eejits fluting about the place, any of the smaller ones really, some nice examples in Poland, Gdansk, Poznan, Wroclaw, Krakow are all decent airports. 

Worst ? Paris CDG. Won't hear of anything else, though I'm not fond of Luton, mainly due to the fact it seems so miserable, and its always raining outside, and tis miserable. And you always end up in that ridiculously crowded main departure place for an hour while waiting on your gate to appear on a screen, before you are eventually ushered down some dull, dingy corridor to a tiny waiting room that hasn't seen paint since 1973 before heading out, in the inevitable rain, to a quarter mile walk across the tarmac in the dark. 

Dublin I have to say has improved massively, though I do think it still has ridiculously long security queues at times, and an odd time, passport checking can be slow on the way back in. Improve those 2 things, and it is probably one of the best for the sheer amount of passengers it handles. 

And seeing as I'm replying to a Cork chap, can you or someone else tell me exactly why it is that you wait forever for a checked bag to arrive at the carousel in Cork, especially on a nighttime flight ? Inside the terminal & through passport control in 5 minutes, wait an hour for the bag. WTF is all that about, the plane is beside the f**king building. Other than that, a grand airport too. 

Concur with Deise

Favourite is defo Singapore! Has absolutely everything! Dubai not fair off either along with Amsterdam. 

Worst: Perth, Darwin and Istanbul is an absolute hell hole. Helsinki is an expensive sh*t hole also with one bar. Abu Dhabi is another hell hole! 

coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 4:15am
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Palma: big, rusty coloured stone

Hated the size of it, my baggage collection place was 40 mins walk from where I got into the Airport

Speaking of baggage collection it's the only downside of Newcastle airport, they typically put multiple flights onto a single baggage collection conveyor belt if they land at the same so you end up with about 200-300 people doing what looks to be like a big mass version of Bruce Forysth's Generation Game where you had to remember the items going along the belt LOLDead
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 8:55am
On a worldwide note, Singapore miles ahead of anywhere else and Cairo was like Beauvais except on a much bigger scale.

Edited by kevincronin2000 - 05 Oct 2016 at 8:55am
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 9:37am
Really like Frankfurt Am Main plenty to do while you wait, Beauvais as already stated I've seen morgues with more life
Darraghn92 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darraghn92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 9:37am
Corfu is definately the worst airport I've ever been in. Followed closely by Treviso Airport near Venice. Schiphol, Budapest and Barcelona (3 euro cans and pints) are good
d13dave View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d13dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 9:44am
Best: Copenhagen, Schijpol, Dublin and most German Airports

Meh: Heathrow, Dublin, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Manchester

sh*tholes: Charles De Gaule, Beauvais, Termini, Mykonos, Leeds Bradford

Some disgraceful American/Canadian Airports: Kennedy, LAX, Newark and Toronto - absolute dumps. f**king pidgeons flying around Kennedy sh*tting everywhere

Do like Atlanta though for a layover to west coast. a million different food places
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 10:27am
Vienna is a nice one while you are waiting for a connection.
Comfortable seats that you can lie down and stretch out on.
The dark side.. And the light
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic