You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GAA Hurling 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 40>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2017 at 7:44pm
Good interview with Deise manager Derek McGrath in Examiner today. A lot of this interview is responding more to local criticism than national punditry, though he does point out some shortfalls in that too. 

Not that I would expect supporters of other counties to particularly care, but he is on the money in what he says about sections ( I would refer to them as a large minority) of our fans, some expect us to play like the U21 AI winning team, making no allowances for the fact at the higher level, the opposition simply don't let you play like that, and secondly, other than Tipp, it was a weak U21 championship last year in which we basically only got one test (Tipp) & simply steamrollered the rest, it is unrealistic to think that all the lads in Tipp & KK with multiple AI medals will simply roll over & let that happen at senior if & when we meet them. 

Good read though, and what all the naysayers of him forget is that any decision he makes as regards stepping down will likely be his alone (correctly in my view), there are elements of the CB not his greatest fans (he even has a little cut off them in this interview as regards funds), but probably more importantly (this isn't mentioned in the interview), he would have the support of the financial backers of the CB, which even in the ahem, democratic GAA, counts for a good bit more than the lads in the stand saying ''It should be 15 on 15'' repeatedly.........

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 11:31pm
Just in case it gets lost in the other thread, Kilcruise has set up the YBIG hurling league predictions yoke for this year;

Originally posted by KILCRUISE KILCRUISE wrote:

Grand job, I had just set up a football one meself but no bother I will join the one above that you have Borussia.

I have set up a HURLING on e and  it is called 'YBIGHurl17'. League's ID code is: k2aDplOdtVyP

Good luck

reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2017 at 9:59am
The hoor got in before me. Just set up the league yesterday but didn't get around to posting. Makes f all difference as the other hoor from Waterford will win it again!
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2017 at 10:02am
8 so far signed up.

cm79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
Cawhil cattle caaaaal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cm79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2017 at 4:57pm
Nearly time for the big match of the day Wink

Should be a cracker and hopefully St. Thomas can do the business.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2017 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by cm79 cm79 wrote:

Nearly time for the big match of the day Wink

Should be a cracker and hopefully St. Thomas can do the business.

Not a bad game at all, good fightback from St Thomas, probably left themselves with too much to do after 1st half. On that showing Ballyea will take some beating, it wasn't all the Tony Kelly show today either. 

sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 12:12pm
I really like this Ballyea team. Having come back from the dead against Thurles Sarsfields they nearly got caught themselves this time but thoroughly deserved to win over the 60 minutes.

They have a bomb scare of a goalkeeper though - you'll know him by the tights, the trademarked calling card of the sh*t goalkeeper in all field sports with a net. 

I can't wait to see the great Tony Kelly* rampaging through Croke Park in a club final. 

He'll be unstoppable. 

*Or "Rolls Royce", as I shall refer to him from now on.
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 2:46pm
so the league kicks off on Saturday. Have a feeling a lot of teams will be using the league to make a statement and others will be using it to try out a few new players. Have a feeling either Kilkenny, Tipp or Galway will win it. 

1A will be very competitive once again with Clare, Cork, Dublin, Kilkenny, Tipperary and Waterford in it. On paper Dublin and Cork seem to be the weaker teams in the division but will be both troublesome too face. Suggestions coming from the Clare camp is that there raring to go and will play with a new open style. Derek Mcgrath has stated he is not taking the league as importantly as previous years and will try out his squad. Cody has used some of his top players in there victoious Walsh Cup campaign signalling that they are going for this league. Tipp have not played in any pre season tournament but have been playing challenge matches and everything is going well in the camp

1A games this weekend
Dublin vs Tipp (Sat 11th Feb 5pm)
Cork vs Clare (Sat 11th Feb 7pm)
Kilkenny vs Waterford (Sun 12 Feb 2pm)

1B again will be very competitive with Galway, Limerick and Wexford all gunning for promotion to 1A. Wexford now under the management of Davy Fitz will be no pushovers and face both Limerick (H) and Galway (A) in there first 2 games. Limerick will want to finally gain promotion after years of failing to do so but Galway will want too go straight back up (all teams that were relagated from 1A the previous year have gone straight back up the next year). Kerry will want too improve on there impressive 2016 campaign. Laois and Offaly will want to avoid relagation

1B matches this weekend
Offaly vs Galway (Sun 12 Feb 1pm)
Wexford vs Limerick (Sun 12 Feb 2pm)
Kerry vs Laois (Sun 12 Feb 2pm)

other fixtures

Allianz HL Division 2A round 1
Antrim v London, Corrigan Park, 1pm
Armagh v Kildare, Athletic Grounds, 1.15pm
Westmeath v Carlow, TEG Cusack Park, 2pm

Allianz HL Division 2B round 1
Roscommon v Wicklow, Athleague, 12.30pm
Meath v Down, Pairc Tailteann, 1pm
Mayo v Derry, MacHale Park, 2pm

Allianz HL Division 3A round 1
Donegal v Louth, Letterkenny, 2pm
Tyrone v Monaghan, Healy Park, 2pm

Allianz HL Division 3B round 1
Longford v Fermanagh, Glennon Bros Pearse Park, 2pm

reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 8:36pm
Any latecomers should get their predictions in tonight or tomorrow morning.Deise looking to take back his title after unseating the rider at the last fence in last years comp..
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 6:20am
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

Any latecomers should get their predictions in tonight or tomorrow morning.Deise looking to take back his title after unseating the rider at the last fence in last years comp..

Taking my cue from Derek McGrath & pretending to not be overly bothered by the early rounds of the league, at least til it gets a bit serious. Which, last year, was after week 1, when I ended up 2nd bottom after week 1. To be honest, I was fed up of the exotic foreign holidays anyway after winning 2 in a row, and I'm still surprised JSL made it back from Aleppo in one piece, or at least it seems he did, maybe they have wifi in whatever prison he is in over there. 

Tonight's games were grim enough viewing, particularly for Superdub & Bohsfan, Cuala lads & injuries aside, that does not look like a team equipped to stay out of the bottom 2, even at this early viewing. A bit like ourselves, Clare will be relying on their home form to stay out of that 2 as well, though it has to be said no matter how bad anyone thinks Cork are, they are always difficult to beat in Cork, not that tonight's Clare ever looked like doing so. 

Not overly optimistic for tomorrow, we haven't won in Nowlan Park since 2004, both teams ( have a feeling there will be changes on both starting line ups too) have named a maybe 2/3rds strength team, though on paper, our bench does look a bit stronger, it may prove the difference if the game is close at 50/60 minutes.

As for an overall winner, I would take a punt on Galway being the 3rd team in a row to win league from 1B, that is, as long as they don't meet Waterford (Kryptonite to Galway teams) in the QF's or later, though, unlike us, they are certainties to get that far. 

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 4:30pm
Opening bars of the Italian National Anthem was played before Cork and Clare last night at Pairc Ui Rinn before someone realised the mistake and promptly stopped it and put on Amhran Na BhFiann

Edited by Denis Irwin - 12 Feb 2017 at 4:31pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Opening bars of the Italian National Anthem was played before Cork and Clare last night at Pairc Ui Rinn before someone realised the mistake and promptly stopped it and put on Amhran Na BhFiann
Sure them inbred Cork koonts would not even know the difference
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 4:39pm

It's way better than our anthem. They should have just played on.

Thick Cork coonts
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

Sure them inbred Cork koonts would not even know the difference

"The Real Capital" Indeed
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 4:53pm
Langers

Anyhow, no shock in Div 3A today im glad to say as Monaghan went to Tyrone and won comfortbaly enough on a scoreline of 3:15 - 1:11
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 5:33pm
Offaly got some hiding off Galway. Beaten 6-23 to 1-12

Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 7:33pm
Good win for Waterford today but we reverted back to the sweeper tactics in the second half which almost cost us the game. We face a tough challenge at home to Tipperary next weekend who had a huge win over Dublin

Cork cud be a surprise package this year after they had a good win over Clare

In 1B Wexford and Kerry with a brilliant comebacks against Limerick and Laois today with Galway destroying Offaly
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 9:33pm
Good win in a poor game today for us, have not won there in a long time and any victory over KK isn't to be complained about. Decent first half, 2nd half was a lot tougher on us with KK congesting the midfield, our lads joining them in a load of rugby type rucks for the ball, usually resulting in a free one way or another. It wasn't exactly pretty on the eye and there were not too many outstanding points scored from play either. 

Scoring only 4 points in 2nd half, regardless of wind assistance, won't be anything near enough to take a game to Tipp next week, but hopefully the players will be up for partially amending last years horror show in Limerick. KK were well off form today, they didn't do a whole lot of hurling, more straight balls down the middle for the entire game, then contested by 4 or 6 lads, I dunno is this a new tactic from them or if it was simply a bad day, but you would have expected a bit more in terms of running & creating options from them. 

Other results, good win for Wexford (that's likely Limerick stuck in 1B for another year) , Offaly are simply gone to the dogs & a good win for Kerry V Laois, another team looking like they are going backwards. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 40>
  Share Topic