You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GAA Hurling 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 40>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 5:26pm
Kieran Kingston stepping down as Cork manager
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 6:38pm
Didn't see that one coming, although there were rumours after the AI SF. Pat Hartnett, one of his selectors, stepped away earlier in the week. He did a very good job there in a short time, transforming them from a team that had lost their way after 2013 to Munster champions & AI semi finalists. 

A vital appointment for Cork coming up, either they get the right fella & kick on, or get the wrong fella, take a step back and lose another year or 2, and that is something that wouldn't go down well in Cork after this years resurgence. Would Sully be interested, or does he really only do similar to what Dan does for us, more a motivator than technical coach ?. The Cork public would be behind him anyway, but I wouldn't know anything about the man personally, he may not even be in the frame for it, or be the type of manager they need. 

Eddie Brennan has also stepped away from the KK U21's as well. seeing as he got them to an AI final & lost it, it is hard enough to read anything else in to it other than he doesn't see too much coming through that would enable him to go further. If he did have any designs on replacing Cody eventually, he will likely have to do a job with a Laois, Offaly or Carlow at some point. This particular audition didn't turn out too well for him, but at least he gave it a go, most of his ex teammates are on TV telling other counties how they should be playing hurling. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 7:02pm
What do ye reckon about him with Dublin, Deise ? Would be a credibility booster for him if he got them back challenging in Leinster
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 7:17pm
Healy was the one who mentioned that link, I didn't see it anywhere, maybe he has heard something, or I missed it, haven't a clue. I think either of the Galway men Mattie Kenny or Anthony Cunningham would be Dublin's best bet, after a few seasons with Cuala and an AI title, Kenny surely knows every good club player in Dublin, he has intercounty experience as a selector with Galway in recent years, can't see why they would look past him.  If they have to, Anthony Cunningham wouldn't be the worst fella to turn to. 

Just because he wasn't the right man for Galway doesn't mean he can't do a job for Dublin, they are 2 teams at different stages, and overall, he has a good record, especially at club level. Eddie B, I think that would be a gamble. Losing to Westmeath in Leinster isn't something many KK people would like on their record, no disrespect to Westmeath, who are the most improved 2nd tier team of recent years. This years U21 wasn't particularly good, neither was last years, only difference being last year had one outstanding team in Waterford, this years has merely had one very good one in Limerick, nothing particularly special. 

Not a lot you can do at that level if you haven't the players, and KK didn't have them, and getting to an AI final is good going for a rookie manager, but ye would essentially be appointing him on the back of his TV punditry, I think from a Dublin point of view, there are better & safer choices out there. 

AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 1:32pm
Dunloy beat Cushendall in the Antrim Club final yesterday.

Everyone knew this Dunloy team was coming - Bunch of minors that have been winning all before them and already experienced serious success with schools and colleges.

The thinking was - just a year too soon - but by all accounts they were tremendous. Looking like the start of a period of serious domination.

Hopefully these lads transfer it to County level as its an unreal style of quick forward play - hopefully the backbone of the Antrim side for the next decade
@AntrimMan85
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 2:05pm
Buff Egan covered the day very well on snapchat LOL
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Buff Egan covered the day very well on snapchat LOL
yeah his coverage was tantalising,capiche.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 11:40pm
Bit more to the Cork/Kingston thing than meets the eye it seems, there were disagreements over the past year about expenses, the Cork CB vetoed his idea of bringing the squad to the AI final and a few other small time attempts to undermine him. The Examiner kind of hinted as much today with Ml Moynihan asking ''Did the CB do enough to keep him'' without mentioning the issues in too much detail. 

Frank still rules. 

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Bit more to the Cork/Kingston thing than meets the eye it seems, there were disagreements over the past year about expenses, the Cork CB vetoed his idea of bringing the squad to the AI final and a few other small time attempts to undermine him. The Examiner kind of hinted as much today with Ml Moynihan asking ''Did the CB do enough to keep him'' without mentioning the issues in too much detail. 

Frank still rules. 

Even though every Inter-County player (depending on code) gets two free All-Ireland tickets?

Seem's very strange!!! 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 9:21am
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Even though every Inter-County player (depending on code) gets two free All-Ireland tickets?
The players have to pay for them, €80 a pop.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 9:36am
Indo reporting Pat Gilroy for the Dublin job with Anthony Cunningham as part of the ticket

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/pat-gilroy-set-for-dubs-hurling-hotseat-and-will-have-a-wellknown-coach-in-his-backroom-team-36169026.html

Edited by Denis Irwin - 26 Sep 2017 at 9:37am

SuperDub View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Indo reporting Pat Gilroy for the Dublin job with Anthony Cunningham as part of the ticket

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/pat-gilroy-set-for-dubs-hurling-hotseat-and-will-have-a-wellknown-coach-in-his-backroom-team-36169026.html

I heard on Friday that it might be Pat Gilroy and Mattie Kenny. I was in Galway at the weekend and mentioned this to a few of the cousins and they said they would be surprised if this was to happen. as hey couldn't see Kenny working with Gilroy so it's looking more like that it will be Gilroy and Anthony Cunningham.

Edited by SuperDub - 27 Sep 2017 at 6:57am
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 11:32pm
Is it all a bit unnecessarily left field though ? I know Pat Gilroy has won a football AI as a manager, and has some background in club hurling coaching, but the history of lads with a football background becoming successful hurling managers is a short one (and vice versa). Is there an element of the CB thinking the Dublin players will connect better with a Dublin voice after years of outside coaches? 

JBM was a dual player, but JBM is a bit of an exception in nearly everything he did. Denis Walsh, primarily a football coach (though did win a Waterford county championship with Ballygunner in hurling, mind you, I'd nearly fancy meself to do that these days) who was manager in Cork after one of the strikes, didn't last too long there. 

Be an interesting appointment anyway, only good thing for Dublin is it will hardly get any worse, whatever happens. 

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 11:36pm
Going back a good bit but Kevin Heffernan won a Dublin SHC as manager with Vinnies IIRC. Gilroy a great man manager by all accounts too so DCB maybe looking at this as a joint managerial type of thing (with clearly defined roles for Gilroy and Cunningham)

Edited by Denis Irwin - 26 Sep 2017 at 11:37pm

sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 11:46pm
Tessio is a terrific addition to the ticket.

Himself and Pat should work well together.
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 11:55pm
Dublin would have a serious hurling team if they got some of the footballers on board (tbh what else do they have to achieve in the football they've won 3 in a row)
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 12:18am
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Dublin would have a serious hurling team if they got some of the footballers on board (tbh what else do they have to achieve in the football they've won 3 in a row)

Go one further than Kerry and win 5 in a row

PJIRELAND View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PJIRELAND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 1:17am
'but the history of lads with a football background becoming successful hurling managers is a short one (and vice versa)'
Might be a short one but a successful one. Sean Boylan
YBIG Fantasy Football Champion 2013/2014.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 40>
  Share Topic