You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GAA Hurling 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 40>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 1:21pm
Gizzy Lyng believes that the sweeper system represents the ultimate distrust in the potential of human beings.

This is the third time these Wexford and Waterford teams have met in championship action over the last few years.

Or, to abbreviate it, WWIII.

Today two sweeper systems battle to avoid destruction. 

Here, the influential documentary-maker Adam Curtis expands on Gizzy's theme.

"The Power of Hurling Nightmares"

by Adam Curtis

"But hurling was about to enter a new and terrifying phase, driven by the vision of savage hurling men. And for the roots of that vision we must return to the dark days of the Cold War. The sweeper system grew out of a dystopian vision of the potential of human beings. Savage hurling men began to believe that, left unchecked, a powerful full forward line could level whole counties in five seconds flat.

The roots of this idea began in Waterford, who vowed that the terror unleashed during the 2011 Munster final must never, ever be repeated. They vowed that the lessons of that catastrophe had to be learned by future generations. To prevent such a disaster from from ever happening again, hurling technocrats devised a new system based on statistics and probability, where midfielders or even forwards would act as extra defenders, and thus stop such destruction. This new doctrine was called, simply, "The System".

But then the strangest thing happened. Details of "The System" were leaked to other counties, who started copying it. "The System" was to then lead to unintended and terrifying consequences that not even the most savage hurling man could have predicted.

It soon became apparent that when two teams simultaneously used "The System", both teams stopped attacking. And by stopping both teams from attacking, an idea that was designed for self-preservation was, paradoxically, to lead to the one thing that savage hurling men feared the most.

"The System" would lead to the exact scenario of mutually assured destruction that would destroy the game of hurling forever."

reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 6:35pm
Waterford too cute and too strong for Wexford but sending off could be fatal for Waterfords AI ambitions.
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 3:26am
You head to Cork for a few hours and come back to find Michael Duignan has somehow got hold of Sid's YBIG account. 

Ugly, negative game & didn't expect too much else, but came out the right side of it, roll on the SF's. Much the same as last year really, not in any great form, won't be given too much of a chance V Galway or Cork, but we fear neither. 

I see Davy went on a rant about Duignan & Shefflin earlier on, the inconsistency of analysis is something I have been harping on about all year, yesterday, we had Tipp & Clare play a more traditional game, and truth told, it wasn't much better than today's effort, as Reddladd said earlier. Not a peep out of the 2 buckos about that one though, I suppose the result (one of the traditional hurling superpowers winning) made any criticism null & void. 

They are perfectly entitled not to like it, or express an opinion that ''playing like that won't win an AI'', but a bit like what Sid hinted at, I think there is an actual fear there from someone who played on the best team of all time, and one of KK's greatest fans who isn't from Kilkenny, that someone, some day, just might win an AI playing like that. 

Something worth noting, the traditionalists of the time said Ger Loughnane (and later Liam Griffin) was mad having lads running up hills in Clare/Wexford on Christmas day & the like. Donal O'Grady was mad to think the FB line could take a short puckout from the keeper & pass upfield in a zig zag fashion all the way to the FF line. The traditionalists were wrong then*, and they are probably going to be proved wrong in one of the next few years too. 

*Half wrong, the Offaly team of the 90's, my absolute favourite non-Waterford hurling team ever, still won 2 AIs while on the beer & smoking fags, but I'm not sure anyone can really explain that, they were really just a one off collection of headeballs & hurling genius. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 3:32am
Oh aye, Stade De Frank is fantastic, seriously impressive and a credit to Frank & Cork GAA. If they want to name it after him, fair enough, they'll get my vote. 

reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 8:55am
Galway v Tipp same as last year and Deise v Cork, same set up as last year with Cork instead of KK.

I'll go for Galway and Waterford if De Burca's card is rescinded and he can play. If not Cork get my vote!

Edited by reddladd - 24 Jul 2017 at 8:58am
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 9:16am
Any idea when tickets go on sale for Waterford v Cork? Lad in work looking to know
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 9:23am
You could start buying them today i'd say. tickets.ie will be selling them or call direct t oticket office on Dorset st. Waterford V Cork is on August 13th.
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 9:25am
Cheers reddladd Thumbs Up
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 11:34am
Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

Any idea when tickets go on sale for Waterford v Cork? Lad in work looking to know
Won't sell out anyway - no rush
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 11:35am
Semis rarely sell out. Planning on going to both should be good games

Edited by Denis Irwin - 24 Jul 2017 at 11:35am
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 12:48pm
Yeah won't sell out he just wants to get a decent seat. That Tickets.ie just randomly chooses you a seat though which is a nuisance. Only offered me tickets behind the goal in the Dubs league games and there were feckin loads of seats in Hogan and Cusack on the night
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 12:51pm

Yeah won't sell out he just wants to get a decent seat. That Tickets.ie just randomly chooses you a seat though which is a nuisance. Only offered me tickets behind the goal in the Dubs league games and there were feckin loads of seats in Hogan and Cusack on the night

Ye can get them in SuperValu and Centra. Got tickets for the last 2 Dublin games in SuperValu both in the Hogan.
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 1:31pm

You'll be able to pick seats on Ticketmaster in a few weeks. Best seats (sideline lower tier) will go to clubs and county board tho.

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

Galway v Tipp same as last year and Deise v Cork, same set up as last year with Cork instead of KK.

I'll go for Galway and Waterford if De Burca's card is rescinded and he can play. If not Cork get my vote!

Happy enough with draw, hopefully we won't be as bad V Cork the next day. TDB, it really depends on what the linesman said in his report, as Donal O'Grady said on Sunday Game last night. From what I could see of the poor enough TV footage of it, TDB stuck an arm out behind him & made minor contact with Harry Kehoe's helmet, he certainly didn't go to interfere with it deliberately, and all that after Kehoe initially fouled him (which the linesman seems to have ignored). 

Be surprised if he doesn't get off, and unlike Mullane in '04, they will be appealing this one to wherever they have to, there is feck all to be gained from playing by the rules & just accepting a ban, as we found out the hard way in 04. The Dublin footballers, with their multiple Diarmuid Connolly related appeals over the years, would probably agree. 

All wouldn't be completely lost, Darragh Fives can play that TDB role, but it would somewhat negate him in an attacking sense, while the likely defensive replacement for Fives (Shane Roche, Kieran Bennett or Stephen Daniels) would lack big game experience, difficult to say how one of them would go in a big game. 

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 2:07pm
The sweeper system & analysis again. I think the tide might be turning on this one. Jackie Tyrell & Ken McGrath were very vocal in their opposition of it after the game we lost V Cork. Jackie did a complete U-turn on it after Wex beat KK, while last night on Sunday Game, neither were overly critical of it, with Ken merely noting he would be more of a traditionalist. 

And today, Cyril Farrell, an innovative coach himself in Galway back in the day, comes out & says this;

He is the first of the well known pundits to say it outright, but he won't be the last. 

Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 7:23pm
Happy too win yesterday but it wasant a classic game by any means. Im always frightened playing Wexford (frightend against any team Waterford plays tbh LOL) but thankfully we won it in the end not playing extremely well. De Burca getting sent off was a disaster and we will miss him dearly for the semi final. Hopefully he will appeal it and be succesful. So its Cork again in the semi we can never be as bad as we were against them in June but its not going to be easy, Cork hurling is in a fantastic place atm and they believe there going all the way this year.  Nobody gave Cork a chance this year but they went on too win munster and they have a very good chance of winning Liam Mccarthy too. Happy that we have just under 3 weeks too prepare. Cant wait for it and the whole of Waterford will go insane if we make the final

Have a feeling Tipp will beat Galway but again its a 50/50 game. Although Galway won Leinster they havent been tested really yet and no better team too test you then the All Ireland Champions. 

Im going for a Tipp vs Cork final with Tipp winning it 

Under 21 Munster final takes place on Wednesday in Limerick. Limerick are hot favouirtes but again Cork hurling is in a good place and they played very well against us in the semi (still sick we lost tbh). Antrim were beaten by Derry in Ulster last week and the final up there is Derry vs Down with the winner going on to face Kilkenny in the All Ireland semi final and more than likely get the hammering of a lifetime but its very good for the players involved. Galway will face the Munster winners in the other semi final 
SuperDub View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 8:10pm
I got tickets for both games from tickets.ie earlier. Hoganstand 327 not bad but €45 is a bit steep. Both games could be crackers. Dublin underage teams could be involved on both days if our U17's beat Antrim on Thursday evening.

Edited by SuperDub - 24 Jul 2017 at 8:28pm
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by SuperDub SuperDub wrote:

I got tickets for both games from tickets.ie earlier. Hoganstand 327 not bad but €45 is a bit steep. Both games could be crackers. Dublin underage teams could be involved on both days if our U17's beat Antrim on Thursday evening.

Atm the season ticket bring a friend option is live for Cork vs Waterford and it's section 302 Cusack Lower (me and the father have season tickets and always get 2 other tickets). Think I'll wait it out and get our 2x ST Allocation and then get the other tickets later (don't care about us not sitting next too each other, the other 2 are lunatics)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 40>
  Share Topic