You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GAA Hurling 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 40>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 11:55pm
So i was wrong and Waterford destroyed Offaly 1-35- 0-14, i was up at the game and was a little worried after the first 20 mins as Waterford were struggling but we got the hang of Offalys tactics and started scoring. Austin Gleeson, Jamie Barron and Pauric Mahony played very well and the subs that came on played very well too. Sadly the Brick Walsh is losing his pace and Kevin Moran is getting on a bit too. Offaly were terrible and something has too be done with the hurling development system in the county

Westmeath put a very brave showing against Tipp but still came out on the wrong side losing 2-18-0-15. have heard Tipp were going through the motions and wont be as bad next week

Dublin beat Laois 2-28-1-15 

Kilkenny fought off Limericks challenge by 0-20-0-17. Limerick had chances but didnt convert them, Kilkenny struggled for parts of the game but can still turn it on at crucial times

The draw for Round 2 will take place on Monday morning and will involve Tipp, Waterford, Kilkenny and Dublin. Games are due to be played Sat 8th July and the winners will play the losers of the Leinster and Munster finals. Round 2 is going to be very intresting no matter what the pairings are 
SuperDub View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 12:45am
I was in Parnell Park tonight to witness Dublin's first championship win in 2 years. We struggled for the first half against a very strong wind but still went in at the break a point up. The defence tightened up after the break and the Laois forwards were anonymous. For me David Tracey, Donnie Burke, Cian O'Sullivan and Ben Quinn showed some lovely touches. Liam Rushe Struggled at half forward. I think the lad needs a year out from hurling, I really liked the look of Fergal Whitley when he came on in the second half. Will Someone please tell Ger Cunningham that short puck outs don't work with this team.

We'll be lambs to the slaughter next weekend. If we get beat next week we can hope Cunningham will be gone and the county board will have the cop on to appoint Joe Fortune who knows Dublin Hurling inside and out.

Edited by SuperDub - 02 Jul 2017 at 6:07am
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 1:06am
@Healy, I know hindsight is a great thing and all but I'm not sure even Mick McDonagh gave Offaly a prayer against Waterford today.

The bigger picture regarding Limerick is that the future is looking bright for them and there are some real good young players coming through which is healthy for Hurling because we need a strong spread of teams battling for the Liam McCarthy! But I'm going to be cynical here in regard to today's game and put it out there that Limerick bottled it, Kilkenny were there for the taking and the Limerick management must be scratching their heads this evening despite being proud of the teams effort on the whole.

In regard to Tipperary, you can take the bookies handicap into account (think it was minus 21 or so) and say "did they play badly or that wasn't overly impressive" but this game was nothing more than an exercise to play without pressure and allow the players to express themselves.

I don't think Dublin will be going much further, simply too many good players not playing and it takes it toll.

Edited by Green Devil - 02 Jul 2017 at 1:10am
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 4:56am
Looking forward to the analysis tomorrow, if only to see how many pundits go with the ' WD didn't play the sweeper system & scored 38 points' line, when in fact, we did play with one (no disrespect to Offaly, but that was with an eye to next week) and scored heavily anyway. It was more or less over as a contest after 20 minutes after Offaly held station for 10-15 mins, but were completely at sea once WD pushed up a bit on them.

One of the loudest critics of the sweeper system in the past 2 years has been Jackie Tyrell, who this week, wrote a column in praise of Wexford's use of it V KK in the Irish Times. After a solid 2 years giving out about it, he only now seems to have realised it is not necessarily exclusively a negative system. I think it can be used equally effectively as an attacking formation, but it kind of depends on who your 1/2 backs are as regards their willingness to push forward, against the better teams, I don't think our 2 today, Phil Mahony  & C Gleeson, are comfortable in attack or going much beyond the half way line, if it were up to me, I would re-jig the personnel (not the system) and put the 2 Fives' brothers either side of K Moran @ CB, with TDB doing his usual sweeping job behind them, and stick Conor Gleeson in at corner back instead of S Fives. 

Had 13 different scorers (9 starters plus 4 of the 5 subs) but very hard to gauge given the poor quality of the opposition. Today was all about getting to R2 qualifiers, and in that regard, job done, so lets see what Monday brings, would prefer Dublin to KK or Tipp, but KK & Tipp will be thinking much the same as regards playing us or Dublin. Saw 2nd half of KK/LK, KK looked OK without being anything exceptional, I still think there is a big game in them somewhere (maybe next week) but they are nothing to be scared of either, for long periods of the game, LK had them rattled. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 5:18am
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

@Healy, I know hindsight is a great thing and all but I'm not sure even Mick McDonagh gave Offaly a prayer against Waterford today.

The bigger picture regarding Limerick is that the future is looking bright for them and there are some real good young players coming through which is healthy for Hurling because we need a strong spread of teams battling for the Liam McCarthy! But I'm going to be cynical here in regard to today's game and put it out there that Limerick bottled it, Kilkenny were there for the taking and the Limerick management must be scratching their heads this evening despite being proud of the teams effort on the whole.

In regard to Tipperary, you can take the bookies handicap into account (think it was minus 21 or so) and say "did they play badly or that wasn't overly impressive" but this game was nothing more than an exercise to play without pressure and allow the players to express themselves.

I don't think Dublin will be going much further, simply too many good players not playing and it takes it toll.

Met Mick McDonagh on the way in to the game, he didn't give Offaly a prayer either. 

LK bottled nothing, they just weren't good enough, it wasn't for lack of chances, from early on, they were snatching at long range efforts out of not trusting themselves to work the ball further in to the danger area. They were also muscled off the ball in nearly any 50/50- ruck type situation, mainly due to a mix of Kk's superior strength and experience. I'm not sure how much brighter their future is as opposed to any other year, they don't lack for desire or grit, they never really do, but lack a few calm heads & skilful hurlers that it takes to beat the bigger names. They are looking good at U21 this year, so maybe that will have a positive effect in the next 2 years, but given LK's (generally successful) history at U21, nobody can take that as a given either. 

Tipp were absolutely terrible by all reports I have seen, I doubt Mick Ryan made 6 changes just to allow a few panel lads to 'express themselves', if they draw KK next week, does he go back to the team that underperformed V Cork, or the team that underperformed V Westmeath at home ??  No matter what he does, he can't be any way confident of a performance from either/or/a hybrid of those 2 teams, I would be very wary of them as AI champions and a team that I well know can destroy anyone on a day, but for any potential opposition, the fear factor they held last year is gone. 

Their poor form since the KK draw in league has got into their heads too, it is odd to see a 3 time all star in Callinan being withdrawn after scoring 2 points from play V a weaker county, just to give one example. That isn't to say they can't cut loose next Sat V anyone, they have the talent to do it, but they aren't the all conquering side of last year that nobody wanted to meet. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 1:36pm
I disagree, Limerick had countless chances to punish Kilkenny but the pressure got to them and that lack of experience cost them.

In regard to Tipperary, they were always going to win so no matter what a manager can tell you the motivation to play Westmeath will never be the same as it would facing Waterford, Cork, Kilkenny etc.

Ryan will play his most experienced team for who comes next, personally I want Tipp to get Kilkenny. Beat them and their championship season is reignited, they'll learn f**k playing Dublin but yeah Waterford are a wounded animal and I would fear them most!
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 3:46pm
Really looking forward to the Leinster Final Thumbs Up

It'll be interesting to see if the sweeper system will have a massive impact on the game.

Prediction - Galway -2 

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 3:57pm
Both teams in their away top.
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Both teams in their away top.

Absolutely quality jersey's to be fair Clap

Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 5:31pm
Galway deserved it and have a very good chance of going all the way

Wexford struggled a bit but will be tough opposition in the quarter finals
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 6:03pm
Galways sweeper system worked well today, partly because the wexford players weren't putting much pressure on it.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 6:33pm
€40 into Croke Park today because Hill 16 was closed because there's a concert there next weekend! Bloody Disgraceful! Galway looked to be struggling at first but ran out easy winners!!

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 02 Jul 2017 at 6:33pm
cm79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
Cawhil cattle caaaaal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cm79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 6:59pm
I can't remember the Hill being open for any other of our Leinster finals apart from the one against Dublin.

Great win today.
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 7:21pm
Galway won at a cantor in the end. Deservedly favourites for All Ireland.
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by cm79 cm79 wrote:

I can't remember the Hill being open for any other of our Leinster finals apart from the one against Dublin.

Great win today.
when you've a big crowd expected open up the terrace! Wexford would have had great colour on the Hill like in 96

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 02 Jul 2017 at 8:48pm
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 9:12pm
It looks bad on TV having an empty terrace behind one of the goals and takes from the occasion. Could close part of the second tier and have the hill open.
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Went looking for some criticism of Wexford using a sweeper system, can't find any anywhere. Funny that. 
All the commentators/analysts were very vocal in their condemnation of it after the Cork/Tipp game (even though that was not a straight 15V15 either, which was ignored for the sake of the new narrative) so is it back in fashion again now or what, 2 weeks later ?? Anyone know ?? 

Found it strange myself because say what you want about Cork, they would have been seen like Wexford were against Kilkenny when playing Tipperary and recent history/betting odds suggested the same.

If Wexford can concede 3 goals using the sweeper system in the tight confines of Wexford Park I could really see some trouble ahead in Croke Park for them more than likely against Galway's forwards.

There was awful panic when Kilkenny went direct from long. 

The first half was nip and tuck but Wexford really needed to be far more braver in the second half especially early on when things weren't going their way.

corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 9:46pm
The radio said a replay would have been in Thurles due to Nowlan park being too small.
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 40>
  Share Topic