You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GAA Hurling 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 40>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 2:04pm
how damaging is having a few bottles one night a week going to do for prep ???

these guys are very fit men and wont be suffering from major hangovers etc 
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

how damaging is having a few bottles one night a week going to do for prep ???

these guys are very fit men and wont be suffering from major hangovers etc 

Was he not banging Callinan's bird as well though?
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 2:18pm
Nay Callinan was banging Mahers bird allegedly

Edited by Denis Irwin - 31 May 2017 at 2:18pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
max View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

My new name is Wax

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 10:07pm
Back to back U21 Leinster semi finals for Westmeath. Scored 1-1 in the last minute to put it to extra time
max View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

My new name is Wax

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 10:11pm
And a note for the weekend, wasn't online. Keepers fault Westmeath lost to Offaly at fault for three of the goals, had a shocker Would of been huge to get to a Leinster semi! Think they have to get a Munster team in the qualifiers..
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by max max wrote:

Back to back U21 Leinster semi finals for Westmeath. Scored 1-1 in the last minute to put it to extra time

Looks like TG4 showed the wrong game, KK winning easily enough over Dublin. KK are AI favourites, and based on that showing, where they were no better than OK, they won't be winning it. Richie Leahy is a huge player for them though and will improve them when he comes back. Without having seen any of them yet, you would suspect that once again, the U21 title will go to a Munster team, unless Wexford have something good. 

Limerick are favourites in that, but could easily change when the games get underway, it doesn't seem like there is an outstanding U21 team like Waterford were last year, it might be open enough. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
max View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

My new name is Wax

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 10:25pm
Westmeath get Kilkenny at home in the semi on June 21st.
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2017 at 9:18pm
Poor performance from Limerick today but Clare look a lot better than they were the last few years and will give it everything in the Munster final. All depends on the qualifier draw for Limerick

Next Saturday is the Leinster semi final between Wexford and Kilkenny
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 4:21am
Odd enough oul game, Clare did what they had to do & mainly looked comfortable, even with a misfiring Tony Kelly, Shane O'Donnell took his 2 early goals very well, before fading pretty quickly, while Conor McGrath's goal will have been seen by the likes of Davy & Derek McGrath as a huge reason to persist with a negative sweeper system. 

Limerick occasionally looked like they might mount a fightback, and at other times, looked like a team that Dublin (even allowing for their desperate performance V Galway) might take a game to & even beat. There is improvement in Clare though, I'm not so sure Limerick can improve to a degree that would take them beyond the QF's, the excellent Kyle Hayes aside. Regardless of how good or bad WD V Cork turns out to be, the winners of that game will go in as favourites for the Munster Final, which FamilyGuy tells me will be played in Stade De Frank regardless of the outcome. 

If it does turn out to be ourselves and not SIPTU in the final, meself & FG are intent on a recreation of the 1998 Munster Final replay around the Washington Street area @ 3am on Sunday, July 9th. Everyone welcome, bring yer own stick. 

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 10:38pm
Former Waterford hurling manager, KK selector, all Ireland club winning manager with James Stephens & Glenmore and manager of a few more counties & even more club teams in his day, George Leahy, has passed away aged 78. RIP. 

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 11:08pm
And new proposals for the championship out today- 

2 Round Robin rounds in Munster & Leinster, teams play each other 2 home & 2 away, top 2 teams in each make respective finals, winners go on to AI semis. That's the easy bit. 

The 2 beaten finalists go to the AI quarter finals, that bit is easy too. 

There is a 3rd group of 5 (named as Laois, Antrim, Carlow, Westmeath & Kerry) who make up the provincial 'qualifying group'. These also play 2 home, 2 away games. The winner gets promoted to the Leinster championship (instead of Offaly more than likely) the year after. 

After that, I actually can't make sense of it. These winners will also play off V the 3rd team in Munster & Leinster in alternate years in some other playoff for a QF place. I have no idea what happens to the 3rd placed team that doesn't play the provincial qualifier winner, nor the 2 teams that finish 4th & 5th in either province, other than the team 5th in Leinster is relegated to the qualifying group the year after (but yet will still be in AI competition for the current year).

Presumably they all go in to some other qualifier process, maybe on a knockout basis to eventually narrow it to 2 teams to play the beaten Munster/Leinster finalists. Though if 3rd in Munster/Leinster V Qualifing group winner is guaranteed a QF place, as stated above, does that mean all the rest are playing for only one other QF place ??? . If that were the case, it could be an advantage to actually target 3rd, given yer likely to beat the winner of the qualifying group, to end up in the same place as the lads who bust their arses getting to the provincial final. 

Edit, maybe one team finishing 3rd goes straight through to QFs, with the other one playing a largely meaningless playoff V the qualifying group winners & the two 4th & 5th teams departing the championship. 

4000 bonus points for anyone that can explain this in any kind of clear fashion, because I have failed miserably. 

Edited by deise316 - 06 Jun 2017 at 11:22pm
Jason Kelly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Kelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 11:44pm
Don't really care what they do in any other provinces but leave the Munster Championship alone. It works fine as it is.

Straight knockout and if you don't show up on the day your gone, end of story. No second chances.

The Munster Hurling Championship is the best Championship in both codes by a long long way. Don't devalue it ffs.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 9:16am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

And new proposals for the championship out today- 

2 Round Robin rounds in Munster & Leinster, teams play each other 2 home & 2 away, top 2 teams in each make respective finals, winners go on to AI semis. That's the easy bit. 

The 2 beaten finalists go to the AI quarter finals, that bit is easy too. 

There is a 3rd group of 5 (named as Laois, Antrim, Carlow, Westmeath & Kerry) who make up the provincial 'qualifying group'. These also play 2 home, 2 away games. The winner gets promoted to the Leinster championship (instead of Offaly more than likely) the year after. 

After that, I actually can't make sense of it. These winners will also play off V the 3rd team in Munster & Leinster in alternate years in some other playoff for a QF place. I have no idea what happens to the 3rd placed team that doesn't play the provincial qualifier winner, nor the 2 teams that finish 4th & 5th in either province, other than the team 5th in Leinster is relegated to the qualifying group the year after (but yet will still be in AI competition for the current year).

Presumably they all go in to some other qualifier process, maybe on a knockout basis to eventually narrow it to 2 teams to play the beaten Munster/Leinster finalists. Though if 3rd in Munster/Leinster V Qualifing group winner is guaranteed a QF place, as stated above, does that mean all the rest are playing for only one other QF place ??? . If that were the case, it could be an advantage to actually target 3rd, given yer likely to beat the winner of the qualifying group, to end up in the same place as the lads who bust their arses getting to the provincial final. 

Edit, maybe one team finishing 3rd goes straight through to QFs, with the other one playing a largely meaningless playoff V the qualifying group winners & the two 4th & 5th teams departing the championship. 

4000 bonus points for anyone that can explain this in any kind of clear fashion, because I have failed miserably.
I'll try to explain with a worked example.
As you said 3 round robin groups, which for argument sake work out as follows....

Munster
1. Tipperary
2. Waterford
3. Cork
4. Clare
5. Limerick

Munster final: Tipp V Waterford

Leinster
1. Kilkenny
2. Galway
3. Wexford
4. Dublin
5. Offaly

Leinster final: Kilkenny V Galway

Provincial
1. Carlow
2. Laois
3. Kerry
4. Antrim
5. Westmeath

Playoff: 
Carlow (P1) V Wexford (L3)

Quarterfinals: 
Galway (L2) V Cork (M3)
Waterford (M2) V Playoff Winner (?L3?)

Semifinal:
Quarterfinal winner V Kilkenny (L1)
Quarterfinal winner V Tipperary (M1)

Relegation Playoff (winner in Leinster/Munster next year): Carlow V Offaly (if Kerry win the group their playoff would be against Limerick)

Edited by Shedite - 07 Jun 2017 at 9:18am
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 9:20am
FWIW, I like it, there'll be a lot of hurling, but you'll have 4 games a weekend to flick between. So it'll be more like a League Sunday than a Championship sunday. Traditionalists will say it doesn't have the drama of Championship, but anyone that watched the league this year will know it's entertaining whenever these top teams meet each other.
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 2:55pm
Id do it this way
tie in standalone provincial championships (5x teams in Munster and Leinster. 1x QF, 2X SF and Final in each championship)

Group A
1 Munster Champions
2 Leinster Runners up
3 Beaten Munster Semi Finalist
4 Beaten Leinster Semi Finalist
5 Beaten Leinster QFs

Group B
1 Leinster Champions
2 Munster Runners up
3 Beaten Munster Semi Finalist
4 Beaten Leinster Semi Finalist
5 Beaten Munster QFs
Top 2 in each group into semi finals and 2nd vs 3rd in each group QFs. 5th vs 5th in each group loser has to enter the qualifers group the next year
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 10:35pm
Cheers Shedite, the Examiner had a clearer explanation of it this morning than whatever I was reading last night, my confusion was as to what happens the 4th/5th placed teams in the groups, I thought maybe they would get another chance to make QF's, but they don't, they just exit at that stage. 

Not sure on giving beaten provincial finalists home advantage in the QF's is a great idea though, and the playoff between a third placed team and the qualifier winner is little other than a formality for the 3rd placed team and a bit of a dubious reward for the winners of the qualifying group. 

I think the traditionalists are right in that it will affect attendances in any particular game, it's a decent spin on poor roads from Waterford to Limerick/Clare & vice versa, I can't see huge numbers travelling until the final, but then the overall attendances should go up as there are more games to be played. 

Some of the other points- Galway finally get home games in it. 

At U21, Galway & ''An Ulster team of sufficient quality'' (usually Antrim) will be integrated into the Leinster championship, while in minor, Galway & one other team outside of Leinster/Munster will make SF's along with the Munster/Leinster champions. 

Bo Jackson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bo Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 8:52pm
Davy Fitz is at it again! well done Wexford.
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!
Joe Stalin View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Stalin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 9:44pm
Sensational match tonight by all accounts, real shame that it could only be viewed on sky sports.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 40>
  Share Topic