You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GAA Hurling 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 40>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by cm79 cm79 wrote:

Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

Out of curiosity AM, what's the beef with Tipp?

Ach, nothing too much. Been down to games at Thurles and what have ye and I found, on occasion ( not wanting to paint everyone with same brush etc, etc and all that ) an arrogance that I wasn't too taken by and some of their younger crowd at big games would be more suited to a cage than a terrace ( Not a problem unique to Tipp by any means)

My 'experience' with them would be significantly worse than when mingling with supporters of other Munster counties.

That's it really. 

I have seen some of there younger supporters on the hill for the last two AI semi finals and they definitely belong in cages.

Would agree with you there to an extent, the roughest of the rough are often found on the Hill. Banging weed out of it and throwing empty cans down on others Dead 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 2:29pm
Leinster QF weekend

Sat
Westmeath vs Offaly

Sun
Laois vs Wexford (Winners vs Kilkenny in the semis)
Galway vs Dublin (Winners vs Westmeath or Offaly)

AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Leinster QF weekend

Sat
Westmeath vs Offaly

Sun
Laois vs Wexford (Winners vs Kilkenny in the semis)
Galway vs Dublin (Winners vs Westmeath or Offaly)

Wesmeath and Offaly probably the most interesting match of the 3. 

Westmeath fairly poor this year, losing to Kerry in the league but they beat Offaly last year in the championship.

Offaly with a narrow win for me.

Can see Wexford winning handy enough, likewise Galway. Dublin regressing over the last year or two with some of their best hurlers content to be subs for the footballers. Galway probably fancy themselves to be hurling in September.
@AntrimMan85
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 9:26pm
Have Westmeath got worse this year (I know their results have been worse), or are they losing games narrowly, have a load of injured players to come back, or did Skully not really bother with the league after losing the first game & try set up an ambush of sorts here ?? Or maybe they are simply worse than last year. Given Offaly's results in the past few years, this isn't a given, if Westmeath were close to last years form, people would be giving them a chance. 

Hard to see Wexford not winning ,though it probably suits Laois to a degree that nobody gives them a prayer even though they ran Wex to 4 points in the league game. 

Dublin look OK, even as good as a lot of teams from 1-7. Its after that the trouble starts, its hard to see their midfieders & forwards being able to do enough against the Galway defence. I'm wary of writing them off, I wrote them off before the league game V Cork, and then they turned around and thrashed them in PUR, and although I rate Galway highly this year, everyone seems to have forgotten our effective reserve team was 10 points up on them with 10 minutes to go in the league QFs. Like Tipp and now Cork, maybe they are being talked up a bit much too.  Dublin have to start well to do anything though, if Galway build up a head of steam the Dubs won't come back from it. 

Think this year, I'm going to go against all conventional wisdom for predictions, as I got fcuk all much right last year so eh, Westmeath, Wexford & Dublin.........

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
SuperDub View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 11:14pm
I have only seen dublin play their home games this year and it wouldn't leave you with much enthusiasm for the championship. Atroctious against Tipp and we faded badly against Waterford and Kilkenny.

Sadly I don't believe Cunningham is the man to bring Dublin forward. We lost a league semi final to Cork 2 years ago when in the last 10 minutes we were been cleaned out in the middle of the park while Liam Rushe was stuck in the full forward line. I honestly believe if he had of been playing half back for the last 10 minutes that day he would have steadied the ship and we would have won. From that day I lost any faith in Cunningham as a coach.

I admit we badly needed change after Daly's reign but the way we have lost so many players simply would not be tolerated by the footballers. We have lost the Schuite brothers, Danny Sutcliffe, Shane Durkin, Joey Boland, Johnny McCaffrey, Mikey Carton add injuries to Dotsy, Fionn McGibb, Cian Boland and Chris Bennett leaves the cupboard pretty bare. That list doesn't include lads that are training fodder for the footballers.

As for the game our defence is pretty ok with Eoghan O'Donnell for such a young lad showing a lot of maturity who spent much of his childhood in Zimbabwe. Our half backs are probably the strongest line we have with Crummy Rushe and Barrett but Crummy needs to be disciplined and we can't afford to have him sent off again. Mildfield have a decent pairing in Ben Quinn and Sean Moran. Sadly we will struggle to score up front. Donal Burke was a minor last year makes his championship debut at 13. Tracey will be in the frees which will take the pressure off his young Burke as he has struggled with them in the league.

On a side note I hadn't intended to going to tullamore on Sunday as I'm pretty disillusioned with what's going on off the field but I got a call from the sister in Galway to tell me my niece is playing in the mini games at halftime of the senior game so for that alone I'll be there now. If we are within 6 of Galway by the finish it will be a respectable performance.

Edited by SuperDub - 26 May 2017 at 11:52pm
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 11:39pm
I was surprised Cunningham got another year, at that stage, Carton, Keaney & a few more had already let it be known in public what their view was of his management, and sure enough, subsequently even more lads left the panel. I hadn't realised the Schutte's left until last week. Every panel loses one or 2 each year, and the reasons vary, and there isn't a manager out there who gets on with all his players, but Dublin are shedding them at a huge rate, and not just any oul players, but a lot of their better ones, former All Stars & AS nominees from only 3 years ago. 

At CB level, alarm bells should have been ringing when Sutcliffe left, even if he was the only one, he was that important to Dublin. Anyway, good luck tomorrow chief, like ya said, ye will need it. 

SuperDub View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 12:14am
The senior players, The County Board and the current management have to take responsibility with what has been allowed to occur.

The senior players wanted someone from outside of Dublin. They got Cunningham who then made changes which ailienated alot of the senior players. Cunningham lost a lot of his back room team along the way too. The county board allowed lads to walk away without trying to resolve the problems that were occurring.

Last years 21s manager was let go after getting us to an all Ireland semi final. A guy called Joe Fortune who from what I hear is highly respected by anyone that's played for him. I
would give him the gig when the position becomes vacant this year.

Edited by SuperDub - 27 May 2017 at 5:59pm
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 2:01pm
For the first time in years people are actually talking about Wexford, I even found myself talking them up as a possible threat to Kilkenny/Galway this year in Leinster Stern Smile

Aside from their under 21 success's in Leinster over the past 5 or so years, it seems that because Davy Fitz is now in charge they are suddenly being spoken about a lot more than normal. Granted they had a very good league campaign but you compare the talk about Dublin Hurling under Daly (winning Leinster was massive) you are now hearing feck all about the Dubs and its now Wexford being seen as the potential threat to Leinsters top two. 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 4:04pm
Spirited performance by Laois but hardly surprising Wexford had too much for them in the end.

The pre-qualifier games definitely bring on the weaker counties, Westmeath done ok vs Offaly and Laois wracked up a decent score against Wexford.

There is great work being done in Laois, hurling wise! A lot of traditional Football clubs in South Laois have neglected Hurling for years, but many clubs including my own are making great strides and it can only help Laois hurling grow in years to come. 

SuperDub View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 10:48pm
There's not much you can say about our performance today it was pretty abysmal. Some lads played way below what is expected of them.
mike74 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by SuperDub SuperDub wrote:

There's not much you can say about our performance today it was pretty abysmal. Some lads played way below what is expected of them.

Galway never left second gear.. I remember a few people were saying that Anthony Daly was somehow holding Dublin back.. well I'd say he was laughing down his collar as he left O'Connor park today. Dubs couldn't have gone any further back than they have the past few years..
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 11:16pm
Pretty awful performance from Dublin, though it has to be said they were barely hanging in there until the iffy decision to send off O'Callaghan (thought although there was contact, it wasn't altogether conclusive as to whether he tripped yer man) and the incorrect decision not to award Dillon a pen, or maybe a free in as it was close to the line, Galway went up the other end and scored their 2nd goal, possibly a 6 point turnaround. 

Although Galway would have likely won anyway, those 2 things finished Dublin and the last 20 mins was played out at challenge match pace with Galway superior in every department. There isn't much to be said on the positive side for Dublin fans, and now, there is a huge focus on those missing- fair play to Joanne Cantwell for asking Ger C directly about it after the game and not being put off by his initial evasive answer - but this should have been a question for the end of last year, or the start of this years league. 

The various analysts all remarked on it and came up with different points- Liam Sheedy thinks there should be an onus on players to want to play for their county, which is normally true, but in Dublin, if yer good enough to make the 30 man football panel, you have a Leinster medal by going to a few training sessions, and a better than average chance of an AI one too, and that isn't a choice/option fellas in KK, WD, Galway or Clare etc have. 

Ger Loughnane was inclined to blame the players to an extent too, pointing out that the missing lads weren't all that good, pointing out previous results/losses that those players played in,  but I think he missed the point a bit too, just because those lads played in games Dublin lost doesn't mean Dublin are necessarily better off without them. Eddie Brennan probably got it right, without saying too much more than he could have. 

The draw might be kind to them, but Dublin don't look equipped to beat any of Cork, Clare, Wex or probably even Limerick, never mind the 4 AI semi finalists of the last 2 years, so it will be likely be goodbye to Ger Cunningham. Who do the Dub fans want instead ? Anthony Cunningham might be a good fit, I'm sure he still thinks he has a point to prove to the Galway lads who ditched him, or maybe the other Galway man managing Cuala, Mattie Kenny ? Think something has to change, or the gains made under Daly will be a distant memory, could be argued they already are. 

Galway did what they had to, and Offaly won't test them to any great degree in the SF, but Joe won't be allowed run around Croke Park unhindered like today Vs KK or Wexford, so we still don't really know how good they are, I'm still kind of amazed that because Cork beat Tipp, Galway went to AI bookies favourites from 3rd favs without pucking a ball last week, it doesn't make much sense, there will be tougher tests ahead. 

Wex had too much for Laois to no great surprise, while Westmeath were very unlucky V Offaly and only a Keeper error let them over the line, it seemed to be heading for a draw. Offaly get 2 more games out of it, Westmeath one, and all 3 are likely to be lost when the Munster losers enter the qualifier draw. As regards the championship, bar Clare being favourites over Limerick, all the other games left in Munster/Leinster are hard to call, and that hasn't happened too much in recent years, by 2 weeks time things will have got a lot more interesting. 

Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 3:21pm
Only 1 hurling game this weekend with the Munster semi final between Clare and Limerick taking place 

Its a very important game as a win for either team will ensure them not only a munster final but at the least an All ireland Quarter Final place. I have heard Clare are flying atm and could be dark horses this year, Limerick who have had a few bad years will want to get back on the road. Clare too win for me 

Galway will deff beat Offaly on the 18th June, I can see a shock in store in Wexford Park and see Wexford beating Kilkenny. Have a feeling Cork will beat Waterford as they will want to play a Munster final in there own new backyard and they were very impressive vs Tipp 

Possiblity of a Galway vs Wexford Leinster final and Cork vs Clare Munster final with Kilkenny, Tipp, Waterford, Dublin, Limerick, Offaly and 2 of Laois, Westmeath and Carlow/Antrim in the qualifers 

Qualifiers Overall Format

A total of nine teams enter the qualifiers – five of the seven teams eliminated in Leinster before the final, all three teams knocked-out in Munster before the final and the winners of 2017's Christy Ring Cup.

The fixtures are decided by draws which are detailed in the sections below. All qualifier matches are knock-out and eventually result in two teams who progress to the All-Ireland quarter-finals.

Qualifiers Preliminary Round Format

The GAA congress held in February 2017 voted to allow the winners of the 2017 Christy Ring cup to enter the 2017 qualifiers in a new preliminary round. The Christy Ring cup winners play the losers of one of the the three Leinster quarter finals on 24th June.

Qualifiers Round 1 Format

After the qualifiers preliminary round, the eight remaining qualifier teams play in four matches on 1st July. First team drawn has home advantage. A draw is made that ensures there are three matches between Leinster and Munster teams. Teams who have previously played each other in the Leinster Championship cannot meet again.

Qualifiers Round 2 Format

The four winners of round 1 play in two matches on 8th July in neutral venues. Teams who have already met in the Leinster or Munster championships cannot be drawn to meet again.

All-Ireland Quarter-Finals

The beaten finalists from the Leinster and Munster championships play the winners of round 2 of the qualifiers in the two quarter-finals on 23rd July. These games cannot be played in Croke Park because of U2 concert on Saturday, 22nd July.

All-Ireland Semi-Finals

The Leinster and Munster champions play the winners of the two quarter-finals.

6th August – Leinster Champions v Quarter Final Winner
13th August – Munster Champions v Quarter Final Winner

All Ireland Final

3rd September, 2017

As far as I know Tipperary are the only county definitely in the qualifiers at this stage.  For the first round proper, the draw will look something like this (I am guessing that the Leinster results will send these teams through the qualifiers with Kilkenny and Galway progressing to the Leinster Final, but you never know.  The Leinster team in Pot 1 is subject to an open draw among the Leinster qualifiers as far as I know)

cm79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
Cawhil cattle caaaaal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cm79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 10:04pm
Cathal Barrett dropped from the Tipp panel
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by cm79 cm79 wrote:

Cathal Barrett dropped from the Tipp panel

Some interesting rumours around that camp at the minute .

reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 9:16am
Drinking and women, the 2 greatest distractions for an intercounty player!
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 9:47am
Any truth in them though? Remember they did score 1-26 against Cork.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
cm79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
Cawhil cattle caaaaal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cm79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 11:20am
Just saw some the whattsapp messages this morningLOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 40>
  Share Topic