You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GAA Hurling 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 40>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

John Mullane was brilliant on the radio yesterday. Clip from the news this morning.

'Here we go Pauric'

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2017/0522/876966-aw-here-we-go-pauric/

Dead

I never heard someone so biased towards one team (as a neutral which he is) than yesterday. He dislikes Tipperary and you could sense he was willing Cork to win, which is pathetic.

'I said it' , 'I called it' etc was the regular pattern of Mullane's great commentary yesterday. 

Fair play to Cork, no complaints! I was caught working in Limerick so I couldn't make it Ouch 

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 5:25pm
Cork vs Clare munster final i think and in the New PUC 

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 11:16pm
Didn't see that coming whatsoever, happy to be wrong as it does open up the championship very early. Unless Waterford win Munster, & KK, Galway & Tipp all avoid each other until that stage, we will have at least one new semi finalist in the AI too after the same 4 being there the last 2 years, which can only be good for hurling as a whole. 

I wouldn't be writing off Tipp yet, but they have a very hard route to go & win an AI from here, which could yet be made harder if KK don't win Leinster & lurk somewhere in a QF draw, mind you, the same could be said about Galway, who would be equally dangerous opponents at that stage. I'm not quite ready to proclaim Cork as AI champions in waiting either, they have clearly made huge improvements and at long last found some exciting new talent, but they will get stiffer tests as the 2 championships move on, it might take big scores to beat them, but that still isn't a watertight looking defence to me. 

Watching the Sunday game last night, I'm going to take issue with the analysis of it, in the modern game, there are clearly things happening that either are not seen, or ignored, and I would like to know why. We have an overall narrative of ''15V15''  '' No Sweepers'' and this is what we are told is happening, because it is what so many want to hear, but tis clearly wrong. 

Callinan at FF for Tipp was up there on his own, and even isolated at stages. Where did the other 2 full forward line lads go ?? I've no idea, but they weren't in the FF line all the time, which suggests they dropped back at stages, and one man's dropping back a line is another man's sweeper system, whatever it is, it certainly isn't the game of the 90's or 2000's. 

Likewise, for Cork's 2nd & winning goal, you have 2 Cork lads in the FF line, and 2 Tipp defenders. There is nobody anywhere else to be seen. Where was Cork's 3rd forward, and where was his marker ? Marker presumably following him out to HB or midfield, which again, does not suggest either were lining up in the traditional 3-3-2-3-3 formation. This in not a criticism of either Cork or Tipp's tactics, they are entitled to do what they like, but as sure as fcuk, when Wexford do it next week, it will be highlighted, and when we do whatever McGrath has planned (and he will have something planned to stifle Cork), it will be back to the ''This sweeper system is ruining the game Ger'' .

I think there is a few things happening here, firstly, I'm not sure the analysts are actually seeing some of this happen, or if they are, they can't identify exactly what is is, or where the extra/spare man went to, so they just ignore it (RTE really misses Donal Og for this type of thing, he would know, he would explain it, he would explain the theory behind it & he would tell ya whether it worked or not) and secondly, after 2 years of barring a game or 2, ordinary to poor hurling championships, there seems to be a narrative running through the analysis to emphasise the traditional approach, even to the extent that even though what you are looking at is clearly not the traditional approach, you are being told it is. 

The other thing is that for a casual watcher of the game, and the traditionalists,  I don't think a lot of them are interested in this type of analysis (My oul lad, very much a traditionalist, certainly wouldn't be) but for those of us that are interested in it, we are losing out. Their job is not to tell you what you saw, you have your own eyes for that, it is , or should be, to tell you what you didn't see. It's why Neville & Carragher's show on Sky is so popular, because they can see things that you miss, and are brilliant at explaining them with their magic screen. Right now, RTE & Sky's tactical analysis without Donal Og, is so poor that Neville & Carragher would probably make a better fist of explaining hurling than some of the lads that are on it. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Cork vs Clare munster final i think and in the New PUC 

Yep, Cork have us beaten already, and I think Laois or Offaly will put an end to our season in the qualifiers. 

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Dead

I never heard someone so biased towards one team (as a neutral which he is) than yesterday. He dislikes Tipperary and you could sense he was willing Cork to win, which is pathetic.

'I said it' , 'I called it' etc was the regular pattern of Mullane's great commentary yesterday. 

Fair play to Cork, no complaints! I was caught working in Limerick so I couldn't make it Ouch 

A well known Cork fan is John. 

What you actually heard there, but I wouldn't expect you to recognise it, is a genuine hurling person loving the fact that an underdog was putting it up to the champions, and the nature of the game itself being end to end & scores swopped by the minute.  If Cork were going for 3 in a row & Tipp were the challengers, he would have been just as excited to see Noel McGrath or Callinan bearing down on the Cork goal. He is over excitable if anything, but while most people deduced a passion for the game itself, you deduced a dislike for Tipp. 

If he is on duty at Clare V Limerick, and there is nothing in the game coming to the closing minutes, you will hear similar from him, and that is a certainty. I have no idea which of those 2 he likes or doesn't like, maybe the chap is just a fan of hurling. 

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 12:08am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Dead

A well known Cork fan is John. 

What you actually heard there, but I wouldn't expect you to recognise it, is a genuine hurling person loving the fact that an underdog was putting it up to the champions, and the nature of the game itself being end to end & scores swopped by the minute.  If Cork were going for 3 in a row & Tipp were the challengers, he would have been just as excited to see Noel McGrath or Callinan bearing down on the Cork goal. He is over excitable if anything, but while most people deduced a passion for the game itself, you deduced a dislike for Tipp. 

If he is on duty at Clare V Limerick, and there is nothing in the game coming to the closing minutes, you will hear similar from him, and that is a certainty. I have no idea which of those 2 he likes or doesn't like, maybe the chap is just a fan of hurling. 

Did I say John Mullane drapes himself in the red and white of Cork every evening or secretly grew up dreaming of playing for them? You would swear that just because an ex player or manager has a history with a rival that in turn he couldn't show favouritism towards them during punditry or when talking about them. 

I expected nothing less from you, a childish dig because someone has a opinion different to yours.

I'm sorry I work a lot of weekends and that my passion for hurling isn't there for all to see on YBIG. 

How anyone who doesn't agree with the almighty Deise316 on YBIG must not be a genuine hurling fan.

Edited by Green Devil - 23 May 2017 at 12:11am
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 1:04am
No, you said he dislikes Tipp, which was an inference you drew from his commentary. I didn't draw the same inference, and I doubt too many others did either, most people (from all counties) commenting on it on the RTE site were positive about it. You are of course, entitled to your opinion. 

I actually didn't disagree he showed favouritism toward Cork, but I explained why I think this was the case. Maybe have an oul read of it again. I could of course, be wrong about that too. 

The reason I didn't expect you to recognise that has nothing to do with having a different opinion to mine, most people on this thread actually do, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. It is an opinion I have formed based on your posting history on this thread, which I am also entitled to. Based on your response, it probably isn't an opinion I'll be changing any time soon. 

I don't care what you do or don't do at weekends & have no idea whether you are a genuine hurling fan or not. You are a fan of one team, and a fan of winning alright, but as for the game itself, I've seen little evidence of it.  That's not to say you aren't a genuine fan, you might be a far bigger hurling die hard than me & everyone else put together for all I know, but I haven't seen anything particularly insightful from you here, unlike Sid, Superdub, Big Club, the Galway lads, CM79, Trig, AntrimMan, FG, Reddladd etc, so I have little else to go on. Sorry if that offends you in some way, and feel absolutely free to keep disagreeing with me. 

AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 11:29am
So, aye, few interesting points Deise.

Was a great game to watch as a Neutral ( well, kind of, I've no great love for Tipp I'll freely admit ) and, ye know what, I don't have a huge issue with the nature of the commentry and punditry during the game. Some of it is a bit twee, some auld lad hollering Yerra isn't it great, Munster hurling as it used to be, when men were men and sweepers were confined to chimneys ( How'ya Cyril Farrell). The enthusiasm for the match is infectious and in a way, they're pushing the product to quote the Sky Sports generation. Now, maybe my opinion on that is influenced by the extreme opposite we see from the big ball experts where the game has gone to f*** and a gaelic football match should be approached with the same enthusiastic vigour as a funeral ( Morning Mr Brolly )

But - Agree 100% on the Sunday game evening show. They have a few hours to properly analyse the game and I think in general they make a poor fist of it. Now, as much as I enjoyed the match, it was a bit of a defensive sh*t show. And not for the reasons they're telling us. It wasn't 15 against 15 with everyone lined out 33233, the corner forwards on the 21, the half forwards on the 40 etc ( does that even happen anymore anyway - even at Junior B you'd hardly see that ). Their analysis did point out swathes of green where a 'traditional' corner forward would be.

What I want to know, as im watching on TV on ye miss an awful lot,  is, where has the forward gone? Why is he where he is? What is he doing? 

On that last point, if he's back sweeping, judging by Sunday, he's not doing a great job of it at all.

On the game, Thought the Tipp wing half backs, Padraic Maher in particular had very poor games and the Cork forwards targeted them superbly. Lehannes point from the sideline a good example, drift out to the wing for the puckout have a go at the back, step outside him and over the bar. Made it look easy.

The next day, they'll have a much better half back line to contend with and a team that is much better versed in playing a defensive system so interesting to see how they cope and if it was a 'one off'

In other news, Antrim through to Christy Ring final against Carlow who must be sick of the sight of us. Good vibes from Antrim camp at the minute by all accounts. Some progress anyway as we've been losing to the likes of Carlow, Westmeath, London (!) the last couple of years, now we're beating them. Onwards and hopefully upwards.
@AntrimMan85
cm79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
Cawhil cattle caaaaal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cm79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 11:44am
Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

Was a great game to watch as a Neutral ( well, kind of, I've no great love for Tipp I'll freely admit ) and, ye know what, I don't have a huge issue with the nature of the commentry and punditry during the game. Some of it is a bit twee, some auld lad hollering Yerra isn't it great, Munster hurling as it used to be, when men were men and sweepers were confined to chimneys ( How'ya Cyril Farrell). The enthusiasm for the match is infectious and in a way, they're pushing the product to quote the Sky Sports generation. Now, maybe my opinion on that is influenced by the extreme opposite we see from the big ball experts where the game has gone to f*** and a gaelic football match should be approached with the same enthusiastic vigour as a funeral ( Morning Mr Brolly )

But - Agree 100% on the Sunday game evening show. They have a few hours to properly analyse the game and I think in general they make a poor fist of it. Now, as much as I enjoyed the match, it was a bit of a defensive sh*t show. And not for the reasons they're telling us. It wasn't 15 against 15 with everyone lined out 33233, the corner forwards on the 21, the half forwards on the 40 etc ( does that even happen anymore anyway - even at Junior B you'd hardly see that ). Their analysis did point out swathes of green where a 'traditional' corner forward would be.

What I want to know, as im watching on TV on ye miss an awful lot,  is, where has the forward gone? Why is he where he is? What is he doing? 

On that last point, if he's back sweeping, judging by Sunday, he's not doing a great job of it at all.

On the game, Thought the Tipp wing half backs, Padraic Maher in particular had very poor games and the Cork forwards targeted them superbly. Lehannes point from the sideline a good example, drift out to the wing for the puckout have a go at the back, step outside him and over the bar. Made it look easy.

The next day, they'll have a much better half back line to contend with and a team that is much better versed in playing a defensive system so interesting to see how they cope and if it was a 'one off'

In other news, Antrim through to Christy Ring final against Carlow who must be sick of the sight of us. Good vibes from Antrim camp at the minute by all accounts. Some progress anyway as we've been losing to the likes of Carlow, Westmeath, London (!) the last couple of years, now we're beating them. Onwards and hopefully upwards.
I always found the coverage on Newstalk to be far better than RTE in telling you what was happening out on the pitch.

RTE would be too busy saying hello to Jimmy on his honeymoon in New York who hasn't  missed a match in twenty years.
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 11:51am
Out of curiosity AM, what's the beef with Tipp?
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 11:56am
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

Ach, nothing too much. Been down to games at Thurles and what have ye and I found, on occasion ( not wanting to paint everyone with same brush etc, etc and all that ) an arrogance that I wasn't too taken by and some of their younger crowd at big games would be more suited to a cage than a terrace ( Not a problem unique to Tipp by any means)

My 'experience' with them would be significantly worse than when mingling with supporters of other Munster counties.

That's it really. 
@AntrimMan85
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 11:59am
Originally posted by cm79 cm79 wrote:

I always found the coverage on Newstalk to be far better than RTE in telling you what was happening out on the pitch.

RTE would be too busy saying hello to Jimmy on his honeymoon in New York who hasn't  missed a match in twenty years.

I don't have an awful problem with that. I have a pair of eyes and can for the most part see what happens and all I want to see during the game. Not sure thats the best time to give a tactical masterclass anyway. But when the dust settles and the lads have prepped for the evening showing, I want a bit of detail.
@AntrimMan85
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 12:00pm

I awlays figured a few hours is oo little to analyse anything. MOTD suffers from the same thing. Monday Night Football with it's extra day gives great insight. Wonder if a GAA show on Mon/Tue night would be better (with better analysts too)
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

I awlays figured a few hours is oo little to analyse anything. MOTD suffers from the same thing. Monday Night Football with it's extra day gives great insight. Wonder if a GAA show on Mon/Tue night would be better (with better analysts too)

If you've watched whatever RTE are calling the LOI highlights programe this week, you'll appreciate all the time in the world wont matter a jot unless the personnel are there..... 
@AntrimMan85
cm79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
Cawhil cattle caaaaal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cm79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 12:04pm

Ach, nothing too much. Been down to games at Thurles and what have ye and I found, on occasion ( not wanting to paint everyone with same brush etc, etc and all that ) an arrogance that I wasn't too taken by and some of their younger crowd at big games would be more suited to a cage than a terrace ( Not a problem unique to Tipp by any means)

My 'experience' with them would be significantly worse than when mingling with supporters of other Munster counties.

That's it really. 

I have seen some of there younger supporters on the hill for the last two AI semi finals and they definitely belong in cages.
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 12:31pm

Think it's fair to say Tipp would be the most disliked hurling county for numerous reasons some of which have been previously stated like the arrogance and behaviour of the fans! No Munster title between 1971-1987 and they call it a famine like!!

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 23 May 2017 at 12:31pm
cm79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
Cawhil cattle caaaaal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cm79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 12:33pm
The Tony Keady affair Angry
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

No, you said he dislikes Tipp, which was an inference you drew from his commentary. I didn't draw the same inference, and I doubt too many others did either, most people (from all counties) commenting on it on the RTE site were positive about it. You are of course, entitled to your opinion. 

I actually didn't disagree he showed favouritism toward Cork, but I explained why I think this was the case. Maybe have an oul read of it again. I could of course, be wrong about that too. 

The reason I didn't expect you to recognise that has nothing to do with having a different opinion to mine, most people on this thread actually do, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. It is an opinion I have formed based on your posting history on this thread, which I am also entitled to. Based on your response, it probably isn't an opinion I'll be changing any time soon. 

I don't care what you do or don't do at weekends & have no idea whether you are a genuine hurling fan or not. You are a fan of one team, and a fan of winning alright, but as for the game itself, I've seen little evidence of it.  That's not to say you aren't a genuine fan, you might be a far bigger hurling die hard than me & everyone else put together for all I know, but I haven't seen anything particularly insightful from you here, unlike Sid, Superdub, Big Club, the Galway lads, CM79, Trig, AntrimMan, FG, Reddladd etc, so I have little else to go on. Sorry if that offends you in some way, and feel absolutely free to keep disagreeing with me. 

Please enlighten me? I've supported Tipperary all my life based on the fact that my Father was a Tipp man so most Sundays of my childhood were spent watching Tipperary, my uncles played for Tipperary in both hurling and gaelic, my cousin Angela won All Irelands for Tipp camogie team and my cousin Shane was a dual county player etc. 

I continue supporting Tipperary to this day, if I'm honest hence why I brought in weekends, is down to the fact I work 80% of weekends so I'd be lucky to get to 4 or 5 matches maximum a year for Tipp hurlers so instead of making myself out to be some sort of super-fan on here by going on what Ger Canning tells me on the radio or what Ger Loughnane breaks down on The Sunday Game, I rarely comment on here. 

So spare me the bullsh*t, I'm not trying to be anything other than a Tipperary supporter with an opinion, I certainly don't need some random person I've never met trying to belittle me because I have an opinion........

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 40>
  Share Topic