You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GAA Hurling 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 40>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Would welcome it, if only because it would somewhat concentrate local minds as to the state of Walsh Park. I'm really struggling to see how it could be passed fit by the High Vis & Clipboard men to hold a championship game of any significance in its current state. 

That said, it would be very unlikely we would be ceding home advantage to anyone, but would then be in a fairly bizarre situation of struggling to get tickets for a championship game in WP, which would no doubt have it's capacity reduced to some extent on health & safety grounds. Think the official capacity is 17000, and it wouldn't be passed for much more than 12k. 

We could play our home games in thurles or the new place in cork ??

A few counties that might be involved in the super 8 football may be in the same situation as us, as there stadiums may not be big enough for serious championship games eg Kildare,Meath etc
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 11:10pm
Why the Jaysus would you do that ?. Given the stick McGrath got for bringing the Munster Final to Limerick last year instead of Thurles, I wouldn't like to be the fella who decides the new PUC is our new 'home' just before getting beat out the gate by Cork or whoever.

Can't see any manager wanting to give up home advantage, particularly as the 'hasn't changed since the 1970's' WP probably wouldn't be a place opposing teams would wish to visit. There would be wailing from the Big Day Out brigade alright, if they couldn't get tickets for a game, but we only bring 5000-10000 (the 10k being a figure for a final or the likes) to league games anyway, our attendances have never recovered to pre 2008 figures. 

To be honest, I couldn't give a fcuk if I never saw any of the fair weather lads at a game ever again, but I would concede it would be a terrible venue for opposition supporters, with only 6000 seats available in entire ground, they would likely only be allocated about a block's worth, or a few hundred seats. 

Is the compromise to play the 'home' games at a neutral venue, ie play Cork & Limerick in Thurles, play Tipp & Clare in PUC ??. Whichever way it goes, it will at least concentrate the minds of the CB a bit, they will now have to do something in the short to medium term, rather than putting the thing on the long finger, where it has been since 2007. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 9:42pm
Laois and Westmeath have come through the Leinster Round Robin with Kerry's 2017 season completed and Meath going back down to the Christy Ring Cup for 2018. 

Westmeath will play Offaly in Mullingar on the 27th May, Laois will play Wexford followed by Dublin vs Galway in the leinster QFs on the 28th May in Port Laoise

Leinster Semi final draw
Kilkenny vs Wexford/Laois- Sat 10th June Wexford Park
Galway/Dublin vs Offaly/Westmeath- Sun 18th June Tullamore

The Munster championship gets underway on Sunday 21st May with All Ireland/Munster champions Tipperary taking on Cork in the QF in Thurles with the winner taking on Waterford in the semi final on the 18th June. Cork will fancy this one and will be all out to get to a munster final in there very own brand new Pairc Ui Chaomh on July 9th, Tipp who after a shocking league final loss will want to make amends sunday. Limerick vs Clare in the Semi final takes place on Sunday 4th June in Thurles

I think Tipp will win but Cork will give them a much harder game than previous years. My very own county Waterford will of course play the winners but theres a few very worrying things happening in the camp atm. We played Limerick in a challenge game last night and we lead by 7 points with about 15 mins to go and ended up losing by 2 points, only scoring 1 point for the rest of the match. We seem to never be able too finish out a game (which has cost us dearly in the past eg Kilkenny last year, Galway in this years League QF and Clare in last years league final) and we persisting in playing defensive tactics with only 1 full forward. It could well be an early summer for us if we cant fix our problems, a few players are not playing as well as last year and guys like Noel Connors, Brick, Moran, Shane Fives are ageing. 

This could be the most compeditive All Ireland Championship in years and the Qualifers will not be a nice place too be

expecting a Clare vs Tipp Munster final and Galway vs Wexford Leinster final with Galway collecting the big one in September 

Christy Ring Semi finals (sat 20th May)
Antrim vs Down
Carlow vs Wiclow

Nicky Rackard semi finals (sat 20th may)
Tyrone vs Armagh
Monaghan vs Derry

Lory Meagher Cup
The last round takes place next Sat with Leitrim vs Sligo, Warwickshire vs Lancashire and Fermanagh vs Cavan. Warwickshire are guaranteed a place in the final on the 10th June and will be joined by either Sligo, Leitrim or Lancashire. A win for Sligo over Leitrim will be enough for them but a Leitrim win and/or Lancashire win this weekend it will all come down to points difference between the 3 teams for a place in the final 
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 11:16pm
Cork will fancy this one ?? I highly doubt it. Think some lads (and probably not Cork ones, who are realistic enough after looking at the last 3 years of Cork hurling) are reading far too much into Galway's league victory over Tipp, I think Tipp at 75/80% are still about 10 points better than Cork. That said, there is usually a game in Cork somewhere in the season, and the bookies are playing safe enough with a 5 point handicap. I'll still be surprised if Tipp don't beat it though. 

Losing a challenge game (played at half pace, by all accounts) after changing an entire team at HT does not constitute ''very worrying'' by the way. Picking the 3 oldest players in the squad and using them as evidence that the team is 'ageing' isn't overly relevant either, although it is surely Brick's last season and there probably isn't a whole lot left in Moran after this year either. 

I don't see how we differ from any other county here, most are carrying a few veterans, as in fact, most team sports tend to do. Shane Fives is 27 years old. So is Noel Connors.  Joe Canning is 28, so is Seamus Callinan, TJ Reid is 29, Pa Horgan is 29.  Are they all finished as well, or does it only apply to our own lads ???

As regards the tactics and the 2 man full forward line, or sometimes one man, most teams do it at stages during any given game (the important bit is at stages, it rarely happens for an entire 70 minutes). Whether anyone likes it or not, this is the way hurling has recently evolved. The bit I don't particularly like, nor understand, is that when a team managed by McGrath or Davy Fitz does it, it is analysed & criticised, usually by the same people that tell you ''Kilkenny don't do tactics'', a myth put to bed by Donal Og Cusack nearly a decade ago at this stage, but some prefer the alternative reality. 

You should note that there was some criticism of KK this year in league games for not being tactically aware enough, most of these tactics come about because you simply don't have as many good players as the opposition do, something that hasn't happened in Kilkenny for nearly 2 decades, but may possibly be a factor for them going forward. You seem to think so anyway, seeing as yer tipping Wexford to beat them (who funnily enough, also use a one man full forward line in Conor McDonald with support from Chin etc in certain games this year, worked out pretty OK all the same).

I think to be fair to McGrath, if he thought we could outscore any opposition, he might give it a try, but the evidence isn't really there for that, regardless of how high an opinion anyone has of our forwards. Gleeson is obviously the main man there, but he has off days, accompanied by many wides, Brick is nearly a non scoring forward (bit like Bonnar Maher for Tipp, but both do an excellent job), the Bennetts, Shan 2, Curran, Dunford, Dillon etc can all do it on a day, but rarely the same day as one of the other forwards, and rarely 2 days in a row, I think the key to our season is finding at least one, if not 2 forwards who can trouble the scoreboard on a regular basis, even on a bad day. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Laois and Westmeath have come through the Leinster Round Robin with Kerry's 2017 season completed and Meath going back down to the Christy Ring Cup for 2018. 

Westmeath will play Offaly in Mullingar on the 27th May, Laois will play Wexford followed by Dublin vs Galway in the leinster QFs on the 28th May in Port Laoise

Leinster Semi final draw

The Munster championship gets underway on Sunday 21st May with All Ireland/Munster champions Tipperary taking on Cork in the QF in Thurles with the winner taking on Waterford in the semi final on the 18th June. Cork will fancy this one and will be all out to get to a munster final in there very own brand new Pairc Ui Chaomh on July 9th, Tipp who after a shocking league final loss will want to make amends sunday. Limerick vs Clare in the Semi final takes place on Sunday 4th June in Thurles

I think Tipp will win but Cork will give them a much harder game than previous years. My very own county Waterford will of course play the winners but theres a few very worrying things happening in the camp atm. We played Limerick in a challenge game last night and we lead by 7 points with about 15 mins to go and ended up losing by 2 points, only scoring 1 point for the rest of the match. We seem to never be able too finish out a game (which has cost us dearly in the past eg Kilkenny last year, Galway in this years League QF and Clare in last years league final) and we persisting in playing defensive tactics with only 1 full forward. It could well be an early summer for us if we cant fix our problems, a few players are not playing as well as last year and guys like Noel Connors, Brick, Moran, Shane Fives are ageing. 

This could be the most compeditive All Ireland Championship in years and the Qualifers will not be a nice place too be

expecting a Clare vs Tipp Munster final and Galway vs Wexford Leinster final with Galway collecting the big one in September 

Antrim vs Down
Carlow vs Wiclow

Tyrone vs Armagh
Monaghan vs Derry

Lory Meagher Cup
The last round takes place next Sat with Leitrim vs Sligo, Warwickshire vs Lancashire and Fermanagh vs Cavan. Warwickshire are guaranteed a place in the final on the 10th June and will be joined by either Sligo, Leitrim or Lancashire. A win for Sligo over Leitrim will be enough for them but a Leitrim win and/or Lancashire win this weekend it will all come down to points difference between the 3 teams for a place in the final 
Galway V Dublin is on it Tullamore!

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 16 May 2017 at 2:08pm
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

Leinster Semi final draw

Antrim vs Down
Carlow vs Wiclow

Tyrone vs Armagh
Monaghan vs Derry

Lory Meagher Cup
Galway V Dublin is on it Tullamore!

my mistake read it wrong on hoganstand. A double header would make sense with a full O Moore park but its the gaa were talking about 
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 2:26pm
Wouldn't have had the room in Portlaoise. Once Wexford start winning a few games they get serious support. I am sure a fair crowd will travel up from Wexford for this game.

Bar a couple of injuries Laois are heading into this game as well as can be expected. It is a very young team though with the majority under the age of 23. They are never going to set the world alight but there a team that are getting to the stage where they might start causing upsets, so to speak. The general mood is that Wexford is the favourable draw and traditionally Laois teams performed well against them(haven't beaten them that often mind). The round robin served Laois very well this time round and they have a bit of momentum and confidence going into the game.

Goals conceded are our achilles heal and we conceded 7 in the round robin to teams that would be ranked below Wexford. You'd be hopeful we'd give Wexford a bit of a fright as they haven't had a competitive game for a while and Laois can be a tough nut in O'Moore Park. Also looking forward to seeing how Davy copes in the stand. I doubt he will be staying too quiet!
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 5:51pm
Wexford could win Leinster this year or did they just get lucky in the league ???

they have quality players and a very good manager in Davy who brings a winning mentality everywhere he goes, All Ireland/League with Clare, All Ireland Final/Munster title with Waterford and a load of fitzgibbons with LIT. 

very exciting championship ahead 
mike74 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 10:54pm

Wexford could win Leinster this year or did they just get lucky in the league ???

they have quality players and a very good manager in Davy who brings a winning mentality everywhere he goes, All Ireland/League with Clare, All Ireland Final/Munster title with Waterford and a load of fitzgibbons with LIT. 

very exciting championship ahead 

Said it at the time that Davy's role in Clare's AI win was totally underrated and many people itk were on about how he was holding them back... that said I think Wexford have peaked already in the league and won't get passed KK. KK v Galway in Leinster final with the winner eventually playing Tipp in September.
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 6:07pm
Related image
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 6:11pm
Cork will always be Cork. 

Tipp will always be Tipp. 

That result was obvious, in hindsight. 

Some of us can remember the 1990 Munster hurling final, you know.
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 6:24pm
Well. That was simply f**king sensational. There's deeper analysis to come but that's all I have for now.
@AntrimMan85
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 7:21pm
That was raw hurling from Cork. Some decent younglads there led well by Horgan. Kingston got some great scores. Unreal determination from Cork!
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 7:38pm
Congrats Cork didn't expect that

A lot of Waterford supporters were expecting us too face Tipp in June but now it's become very very different. Cork hammered us in the league in March and there long range scores will cause us issues. Hopefully Derek and co didn't put there eggs in one basket and do all the research on Tipp

Munster is very wide open now as were now guaranteed a new champion. The back door is going to be tough too with Tipp and the likes of Dublin/Galway/Wexford/Kilkenny/limerick/Clare/Waterford and Cork being there

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 10:38pm
Nobody saw it coming

Nobody dared to say
That Tipperary would go out
And lose to Cork today

History doesn't repeat itself 
But it echoes through the years
Tipp men drunk on arrogance
And too many winter beers

They only had to turn up
Or so they seemed to think
Cork hiding in the long grass
With a knowing nod and wink

Donkies don't win derbies
But thoroughbreds run strong
Like Babs in 1990
Tipp judged the animal wrong

Remember all those years ago
A no hope Cork fifteen
Who ambushed Tipp at Semple
As ruthless as Dan Breen

They didn't know Mark Foley
And John Fitzgibbon too
But they soon would get to know them
'T'would no longer be “Mark Who?”

Tipp never learn their lesson
Cork they thought, were sh*te
But they sprung up like the mushrooms
Appearing overnight

Now they know Mark Ellis
And Mark Coleman next his side
A new Fitzgibbon, Darragh
Knocked Tipp on their backside

Lee-Haan's pace and shooting
Was always on the mark
While Darren Gleeson kept the goal
As if fumbling in the dark

The Rebels sent the Tipp men home
With a big mug filled with tea
Because Cork are Cork and Tipp are Tipp
And forever will it be

Edited by sid waddell - 21 May 2017 at 10:39pm
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 11:01pm
Nicely put Sid.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 9:21am

The back door is going to be tough too with Tipp and the likes of Dublin/Galway/Wexford/Kilkenny/limerick/Clare/Waterford and Cork being there
You've just named every serious hurling county (apologies Offaly)
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 11:33am
John Mullane was brilliant on the radio yesterday. Clip from the news this morning.

'Here we go Pauric'

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2017/0522/876966-aw-here-we-go-pauric/

Edited by reddladd - 22 May 2017 at 11:36am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 40>
  Share Topic