You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The happiest moment in Irish football

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vepkhistqaosani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The happiest moment in Irish football
    Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 2:53pm
The moment which still makes you cry with happiness.
Describe and post the goal, emotions of people, ambiance etc (How did the person(s) next to you react, what did they or commentator say (if you watched), how the stadium erupted, how many minutes were left to the whistle? Did you, the stadium, the nation hold the breath? Anything. What reminds and revives the emotion and memory. Which makes it special, memorable.). 
And if you want to tell more: What importance did it have to the team, to Ireland, to you.  Why was and is it so emotional? Share your experience, share your memory and how it revives when you remember it.

That`s why we love football, and more you remember such moments more you love it, it and your team. (But of course football and love of it (and of our team) is not all about  joy. Rather, these moments are so special and emotional because footballers and fans did their best, worked as never, desired as never, it was almost unexpected, because it was so hard, it was, because we were not favourites, and we were not favourites because in such circumstances one loses and one was almost destined to lose, but then, out of sheer love for the game, for the team one overcomes all of these. I think what shines at these times is this desire, faith and hope in our heart of hearts that we will win despite all of the facts, rankings etc. It is not about knowing and reasoning that we will win. So it is about this (and not only about joy): despite (usually) losing on this or that level, despite disappointments, you believe in your team, against all facts, and you go with this belief to the stadium, you count hours to the game, and you got envisioned this great wins already. And sometimes it really happens and it is inevitable now that if so many fans wait for the match and go to the stadium with such dreams, no result can subdue them, no result can make them turn their back to the game, and in such an ambiance and such a love of the game (of your team) starts the way towards these emotional moments.

Edited by Vepkhistqaosani - 07 Oct 2016 at 1:20pm
Maybe fortune decided so:Ireland desperately need points when they visit Georgia.And they experience what brothers Scots did:The irony of fate &a perfect revenge.Wake me up when September comes!(Grin)
Sponsored Links

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 3:15pm
Shane LOOOOONNNGGGG!!!
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 3:21pm
Probably 1990 Romania in the World Cup.
Then 1994 Italy in World Cup

Recently
2009 Robbie Keane's goal in Paris
2016 Italy in Euro
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 3:26pm
has to be robbies goal v germany in 2002. was in kildare at the time in a pub in naas. place went bananas. great memory of a truely awful awful town. was glad to see the back of it.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 3:38pm
Houghton with the shot and it's there!!! Rayyyy Houghton
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 3:39pm
Either I'm having Deja Vu or there is a thread on this already
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 3:40pm
When the final whistle went in Stuttgart in 88.
Grown men breaking down in tears.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

You said that the last time.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

You said that the last time.

I may be thinking of the Robbie Keane favorite moment thread
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 3:47pm
Steve Amsterdam View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 3:48pm
Houghton in '94. That really cemented my love for the team. 

Was only 9  in 1990 and remember the penno's well, but Houghton was the first time I really grasped the emotion of it all. Great memories.
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 3:49pm
Stuttgart 1988.  First game in a major finals and a 1-0 win over England.  
Irish2011 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 3:56pm
When Trapatoni got sacked. At least their was hope for the future after years of sterile football.
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 4:25pm
1. Robbie Brady's goal v Italy in Lille (a mix of euphoria and relief at the same time - brilliant enough on it's own but to be there as well, and at my 1st major tournament...Heart)

2. John O'Shea's equaliser in Gelsenkirchen (my 1st away match!) 

3. Ray Houghton's winner v Italy at WC94 - and the final whistle (in between was absolute torture LOL)

4. Penalty shoot-out v Romania at WC90

Obviously would also have mentioned Robbie Keane's goal v Germany in 2002 but bCensoredx of a boss wouldn't let me off work to watch the game. Angry Was able to have the radio commentary on in work but obviously NOWHERE near the same.Cry
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 4:27pm
"We'll do them for you today lads...." no explanation needed and....

Sheasy's goal in Gelsenkirchen. I was very emotional after that goal, the goal coming in the same town that Vim Kieft broke our hearts 26 years earlier.

Edited by Cabra Hoop - 04 Oct 2016 at 4:32pm
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 4:38pm
Final whistle in Stuttgart.  84 minutes hanging on, our first game in a finals, against the ould enemy, the banishing of Johnny Atyeo ghost of 1957 and other ghosts that cheated us getting to finals until then.

Outpouring of relief, delight, ecstasy, pride and unbridled joy.  Will never be surpassed.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Final whistle in Stuttgart.  84 minutes hanging on, our first game in a finals, against the ould enemy, the banishing of Johnny Atyeo ghost of 1957 and other ghosts that cheated us getting to finals until then.

Outpouring of relief, delight, ecstasy, pride and unbridled joy.  Will never be surpassed.

That fleeting moment between Razor scoring, looking at the linesman and seeing no flag raised. Time seemed to stand still...
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Peter Stöger View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 4:53pm
They all compare in their own way but as I remember them:

Quinn sliding in to score against Holland 1990

Packie's save Romania 1990

Quinn scoring in Wembley 1991

Alan McLoughlin hitting that peach of a volley in Windsor Park 1993

Rayyyy Houghton!! 1994

Anfield 95 speaks for itself

McAteer v Holland, ended up 2-3 rows forward in the east stand hugging some auld culchie

More recent: 

O'Shea in Gelsenkirchen since living in Germany and being in the German end made it all the sweeter

Shane Long for obvious reasons

Brady against Italy, doing the unthinkable with 5 minutes left

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic