Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The happiest moment in Irish football

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 4:57pm
one I'd also add having seeing it in live was John Aldridge celebrating in Couto's face after scoring the winner against Portugal. Alas, that would be our last good result under Charlton and he was gone by Christmas 

Sponsored Links

rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 4:59pm
Keane's goal in Bari, Brady's penalty against France, Brady's goal in Zenica, the final whistle in Estonia 2011, they'd all be up there for me, with most of the above.

Honourable mentions too for Slovakia 0-4 Armenia,  Georgia 1-0 Scotland, and when it was announced Roy Keane was returning to play for Ireland.

Edited by rolo - 04 Oct 2016 at 4:59pm
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 5:29pm
Best moment being there was Long v Germany and Brady v Italy.

Not being there was the 2nd leg play off v Iran. Was in the Palace on Camden st and place was packed at something like 2 in the day. It was mental and amazing.
The dark side.. And the light
killer kilbane View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote killer kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 7:32pm
Gary mackay v bulgaria first time we ever qualified.not to forget both sheedy and quinns late equaliser s in Italia 90
And it's come through now to mackay... and it's there
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 8:30pm
1/ The Genoa game 1990 and shoot out , nothing inn all these years has come close really .
2/ Shane Long Germany game Lansdowne , Just the sheer madness in 114 never seen anything like in in that section .
3/ Wales in Croke Park , I was in tears as soon as the anthems started as a life time been told it would never happen but it did .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 8:41pm
Can't choose between Long against Germany and Brady in Lille. Both absolute carnage in the stands, shed a tear at both. Brady's i probably went even more mental because with Long's it was nervousness mixed with cautious optimism that we might get a draw before the goal went in, with Brady's everyone was deflated because Wes had just missed "the chance" or so we thought a minute before
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
valo88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valo88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 9:41pm
Hard to rank them personally,

Brady v Italy Euro 2016, didnt know what to do with myself for 24hrs. Didnt even need a drink, was running off pure adrenaline. Ended up hopping a train to Lyon instead of my train home.

O'Shea v Germany, last kick of the game. Was getting ready to walk towards the exits. Jaysus I must have fell 20 rows forward celebrating. Cuts and bruises head to toe. Never experienced a last gasp goal like that one. Ended up on the beer for 5 nights afterwards in DusseldorfLOL

Brady v France Euro 2016, could barely breath when it went in. Tears were shed and 60mins we couldnt stop dreaming.

Keane v Germany WC 2002, no explanations.

Too many thankfullyClap
Given's zimmerframe View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 10:01pm
Richard Dunne's homemade jersey against Russia away.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 10:05pm
Probably Long V Germany for a number of reasons
nobody expected it
we had to hang on for 20 mins ( we would not have hung on against Italy for 20 mins)
they were world champions
it actually mattered as we qualified
first tie the Aviva was really rockin
still get emotional watching it again - will take it to the grave

special mention for Estonia 0-4 Ireland - watched stone cold sober
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Blue Man View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 10:14pm
Thankfully Ive a few to choose from but Im going to go for Robbie Keane in Paris and Robbie Brady in Lille. Paris was my first away game and I brought my da to it. The sing songs, the banter, the anticipation was just something else. When I close my eyes, despite the copious amounts of alcohol, I can still see that goal played out. Ended up 3 or 4 rows behind me somehow, in the arms of some young wan. Stuck the head on her in the celebrations and ran back down to find me da resulting in probably the tightest embrace ever!!

By the time Euro 16 came Id been living in Canada almost 4 years and visa trouble meant I couldnt travel back for it. Brady's goal was a bit more personal because we're both from Baldoyle and I've known him pretty much all my life. Knocked off work early for the Italy game and Im pretty sure I still had my head in my hands after Weso's miss and then it came. To see your mate score a goal of that magnitude for our country in a major championships was something else. Then seeing his brothers Cian, Darren, Redser and his girlfriend at the final whistle sent me into tears. A brilliant night that was
"Everytime Leeds concede a goal, its like being stabbed in the heart" - Billy Bremner

Gary Speed 1969-2011

YBIG Blind Date Champion 2010
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 10:39pm
McLoughlin v Northern Ireland
Houghton v Italy
McAteer v Holland
Robbie Keane v Germany
O'Shea v Germany
Long v Germany
Brady v Italy
The only way is up
eviemonkey View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eviemonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 11:04pm
Lille. window.post_1475615860861_19 = function(win,msg){ win.postMessage(msg,"*"); }window.post_1475615863944_43 = function(win,msg){ win.postMessage(msg,"*"); }

After the double dejection of the performance and result in Bordeaux and the short 4-day turnaround, it was difficult initially to get up again for the Italy game. Everyone I knew was flying back home after the Belgium game. After ten days on the batter, I was half-tempted to join them myself. 

It was hard to spend the Monday and Tuesday in Paris watching the Northern Irish and Welsh celebrating their own qualification, when I couldn't see us beating Italy at that stage.

That all changed when you landed in Lille. There was a special atmosphere and build-up around the city all day. That only intensified when you entered the stadium and experienced the wall of Irish noise under the closed roof. 

The performance was great but would have counted for nothing without the win. The goal celebrations were manic. I was in the first row on the second tier directly behind the goal. I was glad of the perplex wall that protected us from the tier below. The rendition of ybig in the 88th minute was a moment I will take to the grave. 

Five minutes later, the full time whistle and the tears flowed. Strangers on all sides were hugged. The one or two Italians behind us and the match day stewards wore smiles almost as big as my own. You can't put a price on the quiet contentment and pride you felt on the metro back to the city centre and the return train to Paris.

Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 11:05pm
McLoughlin's equaliser v the North. Balled my eyes out when it went in. The babysitter thought I was a freak!
Hickster74 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hickster74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 11:09pm
Long against Germany for me. I was heading into Lansdowne with my 9 yr old and he turned to me and said 'Dad, you know we've no chance, they won the world cup'. I replied 'no son, we have to believe'. As soon as I said it, I was terrified that it'd be another 5-0 and he'd be scarred for life!!

Slowly things started to point to a possible surprise, the Germans were missing everything, the lads were getting stuck in. About 70 mins, I shouted out 'its time to believe, lads'.

2 minutes later, Shane was bearing down on goal and his sweet strike stung the back of the net. We were in the front row of 116. I picked up my son and turned him to see the crazy celebrations behind us. He kicked me to turn around and there was Shane and the rest of the lads celebrating right in front of us.

The next morning 7.30am flight to Warsaw, wrecked, a free seat beside me. An auld lad, 80 at least, struggled down the aisle. I was thinking, please don't sit there (shame on me)..He stopped at my row and I helped him up with his case.

He sat down and said, 'here, do you want to read my Indo, son'. I thanked him and looked at the big picture on the front page. There I was with my mouth open ready to lift my son right in front of Shane's lifted arms. I turned to look out the window of the plane, tears in my eyes.

'y'alright, son?'

'I'm grand'
"Perhaps the reason that they did not consider the worst, was because discussion of such cases would have cast suspicion on the planner as being a "saboteur". Paranoia was rampant throughout."
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 11:12pm
Keane V Germany in '02. 

Robbie Brady V Italy in Lille.

Noel Hunt V Italy in Bari. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
GreenDodger93 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenDodger93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 11:15pm
Brady against Italy followed by O'Shea away to Germany
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by Hickster74 Hickster74 wrote:

Long against Germany for me. I was heading into Lansdowne with my 9 yr old and he turned to me and said 'Dad, you know we've no chance, they won the world cup'. I replied 'no son, we have to believe'. As soon as I said it, I was terrified that it'd be another 5-0 and he'd be scarred for life!!

Slowly things started to point to a possible surprise, the Germans were missing everything, the lads were getting stuck in. About 70 mins, I shouted out 'its time to believe, lads'.

2 minutes later, Shane was bearing down on goal and his sweet strike stung the back of the net. We were in the front row of 116. I picked up my son and turned him to see the crazy celebrations behind us. He kicked me to turn around and there was Shane and the rest of the lads celebrating right in front of us.

The next morning 7.30am flight to Warsaw, wrecked, a free seat beside me. An auld lad, 80 at least, struggled down the aisle. I was thinking, please don't sit there (shame on me)..He stopped at my row and I helped him up with his case.

He sat down and said, 'here, do you want to read my Indo, son'. I thanked him and looked at the big picture on the front page. There I was with my mouth open ready to lift my son right in front of Shane's lifted arms. I turned to look out the window of the plane, tears in my eyes.

'y'alright, son?'

'I'm grand'

Brilliant story! Makes all the miserable disappointing nights worth while!
Deane View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by Hickster74 Hickster74 wrote:

'y'alright, son?'

'I'm grand'

Lovely story, truly a great moment ClapClap

Edited by Deane - 04 Oct 2016 at 11:25pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic