Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IRELANDSOCCERSHIRTS.COM WISH LIST PG 19

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 30>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 10:57am
7 of the 8 O Neills kit styles that I believe Ireland wore in qualifiers for Mexico 1986 between 1984 and 1985.

The only one left to add is the white shirt v Switzerland away that was almost exactly the same as the Russian away in 1985 except it had a gold shoulder stripe.

Edited by irelandshirts - 15 Mar 2017 at 9:49am
WWW.IRELANDSOCCERSHIRTS.COM

Sponsored Links

irelandshirts View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 11:39am
The Irish kit styles from 1986 and 1987 starting with Big Jacks first game v Wales.No one could have imagined the journey the team,fans and country were about to embark on.Its acknowledged that the performance of the team had an impact on the mood of the entire nation.Its not just a story of sporting history.

Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 12:54pm
Beating England in 1988 is arguably the greatest result in Irish sporting history.The shirt from that era is probably the most iconic kit in Irish sporting history also.You just have to look at it and be transported back to those days in 1988. Time travelling thru fabric.

greenforever View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by irelandshirts irelandshirts wrote:

The Irish kit styles from 1986 and 1987 starting with Big Jacks first game v Wales.No one could have imagined the journey the team,fans and country were about to embark on.Its acknowledged that the performance of the team had an impact on the mood of the entire nation.Its not just a story of sporting history.

I must say leaving the ground after losing to Wales in Charltons first game in charge was one of the lowest points in my years going to games at home. I was disgusted at his appointment, an Englishman getting the job, a pathetic crowd turned up, a bad result, little did any of us know what was in store for us. Once we made Jack an honorary Irishman, I accepted him LOL
I know nothing :-)
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 1:59pm
1990 saw Ireland qualify for our first ever World Cup in Italy.The home and away shirts from that tournament are probably the nicest pair of kits we have ever had.

Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 2:25pm
Despite the disappointment of not qualifying for the Euros in 1992 just around the corner was a famous night in Belfast and Alan Mcloughlin entering into Irish sporting folklore.Like many Irish campaigns it is never over until its over.One of the last times we had home and away shirts that were just an exact reverse of each other.

Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 5:39pm
From the total high of beating the Italians in Giants Stadium to a tame exit at the hands of the Dutch in the blistering heat World Cup 1994 brings back mixed memories to fans.The shirts were fantastic tho with tricolours on each sleeve and Irish around the crest.The last adidas kits as they ended their 8 year association with the FAI.

Peter Stöger View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 6:28pm

From the total high of beating the Italians in Giants Stadium to a tame exit at the hands of the Dutch in the blistering heat World Cup 1994 brings back mixed memories to fans.The shirts were fantastic tho with tricolours on each sleeve and Irish around the crest.The last adidas kits as they ended their 8 year association with the FAI.

A crying shame too
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 7:04pm
Umbro took over the sponsorship of the FAI in 1994 with the match in Belfast v Northern Ireland.Sadly the home kit is most associated with a pls off loss to Holland at Anfield.23 years later and Umbro are still one of the title sponsors of the FAI.One of the longest partnerships between an international association and kit supplier there is.

depechemode View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote depechemode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 4:36pm

Is that Liam brady or gerry daly centre signature?
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by depechemode depechemode wrote:

Is that Liam brady or gerry daly centre signature?

Liam Brady on the centre one.His shirt v Wales in Dublin in 1986.

Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 10:23am
From 1996 to 1998 the Irish team wore mostly this Umbro green shirt which saw the end of Paul McGraths Irish career(this is his last shirt v Wales) and Ray Houghton after the playoff defeat to Belgium in Brussels.

The orange shirt was worn with front numbers away to Macedonia. There are hardly any other kits that fans immediately associate with one specific game but this orange one will stand the test of time.

rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 11:29am
All this stuff is on your website already. The cynic in me is thinking you're bumping this thread daily (sometimes a few times a day) to give your thread - with your website in the thread title - a prominent position on the first page of the ROI section, in this busy period leading up to a major qualifier when traffic is high. It's mainly just you posting on it at this stage, with pointless posts about random jerseys.

Edited by rolo - 15 Mar 2017 at 11:29am
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 11:38am
Well I'm not clicking on his website but I'm happy to have a wander into this thread to check out the updates. It's not for everyone but I like looking at the old jerseys. There's no harm in the fella publicizing his interest. The theme is relevant.  
El Puto Amo
shakeyshamrock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakeyshamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 11:39am
really enjoy seeing these old shirts and get a kick out of reading about the specific games + players associated with them. brings back plenty of memories, some good, some bad, some that I've only ever heard about from my da. 
keep up the good work man - don't let the haters get to you! 
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 12:26pm

From 1996 to 1998 the Irish team wore mostly this Umbro green shirt which saw the end of Paul McGraths Irish career(this is his last shirt v Wales) 
I've absolutely no recollectionof that game.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

From 1996 to 1998 the Irish team wore mostly this Umbro green shirt which saw the end of Paul McGraths Irish career(this is his last shirt v Wales) 
I've absolutely no recollectionof that game.
0-0 draw in Cardiff Arms Park IIRC. Jon Goodman got his first cap
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 12:29pm
http://www.11v11.com/matches/wales-v-republic-of-ireland-11-february-1997-247269/

I had to google it, thought I remembered every game from that period! Massive crowd at it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 30>
  Share Topic