You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IRELANDSOCCERSHIRTS.COM WISH LIST PG 19

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 30>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote depechemode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 11:02am
Originally posted by irelandshirts irelandshirts wrote:

And it wasnt just the players that gave so much and also just didnt get over the line to qualify for Tournament there was also the Managers, some who were a success, some who were not and others that split opinions!! Either way they all deserve to be remembered. RIP Liam Touhy.

Ever Irish Managers signature.

Loving this thread keep it up . Fascinating seeing some of the older jerseys too.
Managed to pick up this shirt on eBay unsponsored .
Probably one of the nicest shirts we have had . Classic and simple design.
Sponsored Links

irelandshirts View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 11:26am

Edited by irelandshirts - 27 Oct 2016 at 12:05pm
WWW.IRELANDSOCCERSHIRTS.COM

Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 11:58am

Edited by irelandshirts - 14 Oct 2016 at 12:58pm

Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 12:17pm
Some moments are just burned into Irish fans memories and the night in Windsor Park in 1993 when Alan McLoughlin scored THAT goal seem like only yesterday..

Niall Quinn v Northern Ireland

Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 1:00pm
In the mid 1980s the FAI signed a sponsorship deal with Opel under Arnold O Byrne.The FAI agreed to have the sponsors logo on the front of replica shirt. The precedent was set and that's why today we still have the players wearing shirts without sponsors and fans wearing shirts with the sponsors logo. A subject that annoys Irish fans.

In certain games like Testimonial Matches the Irish team have worn sponsored shirts.

Mark Kinsella v Liverpool FC Steve Staunton/Tony Cascarino Testimonial.

Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 1:19pm
Historically Ireland up to the 90s mostly wore green shirts.White shirts pre 1990 were very rare. This shirt was issued for a friendly fixture v Liverpool in 1986 when we wore the green version of this shirt.

Ireland 1986

Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 1:54pm
This yellow Ireland goalkeepers style shirt is probably the most iconic goalkeepers shirt we have ever had thanks to the exploits of Packie Bonner in Euro 88 and World Cup Italy 1990.

Tho shirt is historic as Packie Bonner became the first Irish goalkeeper to be sent off during the Ireland v Italy US Cup match in 1992 in America.The shirt has numbers to the front and back which was for American TV audiences.

Gerry Peyton replaced Bonner wearing this shirt and his first job was to pick the ball out of the net as Italy scored their penalty.

Gerry Peyton v Italy US Cup 92 signed by Packie Bonner.

Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 4:45pm
Umbro,Adidas and O Neills have been Irelands three main kit suppliers.The 1980s saw O Neills range of different kit styles and even unusual crests appeared randomly and in 1985 there were three different kit styles used.

Gary Waddock v Switzerland 1985

Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 7:14pm
O Neills went thru a fair few different crests in the mid 1980s when it looked like the FAI were happy to leave them at it.Again a white kit was not normally worn as we mostly wore green.

Denmark v Ireland 1984 signed by Liam Brady.

Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 7:22pm
Umbro in the mid 1990s made Irish shirts that had plenty of fabric in them and plenty of colours also!!!

Shay Given 1996

Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 4:14pm
Nice work on the new site and museum IS. Thumbs Up

Posted it up on Facebook it was Tweeted at the weekend too
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Nice work on the new site and museum IS. Thumbs Up

Posted it up on Facebook it was Tweeted at the weekend too

Cheers bob.i saw that.really appreciate the plug.Maybe the FAI might even notice soon!!

Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 4:42pm

O Neills went thru a fair few different crests in the mid 1980s when it looked like the FAI were happy to leave them at it.Again a white kit was not normally worn as we mostly wore green.

Denmark v Ireland 1984 signed by Liam Brady.

Have to say I'm loving this jersey Clap We had some great kits through the years. Keep up the good work IS.
Charlton's Child View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 5:18pm
Great work , some classic shirts great to have them on display for all to see
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 9:40am
The Museum project is still not complete and the next phase is to try and complete the entire shirt history from 1966 to 2016.

This will take time and money so if there is any FAI sponsor,company or individual who would like to become a sponsor of the Museum that would be fantastic.

irelandsoccershirts@gmail.com

Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 12:19pm
In 1985 Ireland played Norway in a World Cup Qualifier in Dublin.RTE were on strike at the time and so the match was not covered by Irish TV. Only a handful of photographs remain of this game which finished 0-0.

Hoping to inspire a change in fortunes for the Irish team their kit supplier O Neills created this Irish jersey based i would say on the Kerry GAA kit. I do not believe any replica versions of this kit were ever created and this shirt style was only ever worn in this one game which has almost been "lost" in time.

A real piece of Irish footballing history.Signed by the Irish Captain on the day, Mr Liam Brady.

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 12:26pm

This yellow Ireland goalkeepers style shirt is probably the most iconic goalkeepers shirt we have ever had thanks to the exploits of Packie Bonner in Euro 88 and World Cup Italy 1990.

Tho shirt is historic as Packie Bonner became the first Irish goalkeeper to be sent off during the Ireland v Italy US Cup match in 1992 in America.The shirt has numbers to the front and back which was for American TV audiences.

Gerry Peyton replaced Bonner wearing this shirt and his first job was to pick the ball out of the net as Italy scored their penalty.

Gerry Peyton v Italy US Cup 92 signed by Packie Bonner.

I really, really love this shirt. Its both iconic, and professional. That is a shirt I would gladly pay top, top dollar for. What a beautiful shirt.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 1:25pm
On the 6th September 2011 Ireland played Russia in a vital Euro 2012 Qualifier in the Luzhniki Satdion in Moscow.Some players International legacy's are defined by one particular game in their career.Ray Houghton v England 1988,David O Leary v Romania 1990, Paul McGrath v Italy in 1994,Roy Keane v Holland in 2001.

In terms of the performance of a defender in an Irish International match, Paul McGrath had set the benchmark v Italy in 1994. I think it is fair to say that Richard Dunne joined him in the ranks of the immortal Irish performances with his display v Russia.

Bloodied but unbowed, Dunne performed heroics, along with his goalkeeper and teammates in securing a vital point that helped us qualify for our first European Championship Finals for 24 years.

To add to the drama Dunne had a very special shirt created for him, live, during the match with the aid of Alan Kelly Jnr and a black marker. This is a totally unique, one of a kind shirt.It has remained unsigned on purpose as i dont think Dunnes signature would actually make this piece any more historic.

For me, (and i would say this as its on permanent display in my front room) it is easily the most iconic Irish football shirt in our history and defines Richard Dunne.

Richard Dunne "The Marker Shirt" v Russia 2011.

Edited by irelandshirts - 14 Oct 2016 at 1:30pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 30>
  Share Topic