You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GAA Football 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041 78>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 8:25pm
Ros v Mayo
Kerry  v   Galway
Dublin  v  Mon/Down
Tyrone v  Kildare/Armagh

That will change if Armagh beat us which will mean it will be an open draw between Armagh and the winners of the all Nordy clash to see who plays Tyrone and Dublin,with Feely back i fancy us to beat Armagh though.
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by Salzburglilly Salzburglilly wrote:

Ros v Mayo
Kerry  v   Galway
Dublin  v  Mon/Down
Tyrone v  Kildare/Armagh

That will change if Armagh beat us which will mean it will be an open draw between Armagh and the winners of the all Nordy clash to see who plays Tyrone and Dublin,with Feely back i fancy us to beat Armagh though.

Down can't play Tyrone. Will only be a draw if Monaghan and Armagh win
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 8:37pm
Can see Kerry comfortably beating Mayo next week. They stumbled over the line this evening IMO. Playing extra time won't have helped either

Edited by Denis Irwin - 22 Jul 2017 at 8:37pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Gashley Grimes View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Can see Kerry comfortably beating Mayo next week. They stumbled over the line this evening IMO. Playing extra time won't have helped either

Not playing each other Mayo play Ros.

It'll be like an exodus out of the West next weekend.

Galway,Mayo and the Rossies converging on Dublin!!

The West's Awake.....

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 8:48pm
sh*t I knew that and all don't know what made me post that

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 8:51pm
Galway will give Kerry a game next week

Salzburglilly View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 8:55pm

Robot  malfunction LOL
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by Salzburglilly Salzburglilly wrote:

Robot  malfunction LOL

f**k you

Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by Gashley Grimes Gashley Grimes wrote:

Is it not Ros v Mayo?

Given Galway look home and hosed against Donegal,will they not play Kerry?
As Galway played Roscommon in CF.

Great first game felt sorry for Cork really put it up to Mayo.
Don't think that ref will be allowed into Cork.
Jimmy Cooney the 2nd! What a stupid mistake to make! Had an awful game really for both sides he doesn't give free's out that easily!

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 22 Jul 2017 at 9:03pm
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 12:15am
Big news in Tyrone tonight:

RED HAND SPICE

Sean Spicer appointed as new Tyrone GAA Press Secretary

by Damian Gormless, The Cookstown Sizzle, July 22nd, 2017

Tyrone have shocked both the GAA and political worlds with the appointment of Sean Spicer as the county's new official Press Secretary.

In a stunning coup for the Ulster champions, Spicer, who resigned as White House Press Secretary only yesterday, was unveiled at a press briefing at the county's Garvaghey Centre of Excellence this evening.

Furiously chewing on five sticks of chewing gum, Spicer explained his reasons for the unexpected move.

“I love Tyrone and I love Coach Harte, and that's why I've decided to come here” said Spicer. “'Tyrone Power!', as I say!”

“I'm a Republican to the core, and there's nowhere more Republican than Tyrone. I love red states, and there's nowhere more red state than Tyrone – it's the Red Hand state.”

“I love guns, and Republicans in Tyrone love guns too. They hate the government. I hate big government. The people are God-fearing and religious. So am I. The story about the team saying the rosary before each game persuaded me that this is the place I want to be. ”

Spicer says he fully supports the existing policy of Mickey Harte not to talk to RTE. For the rest of Tyrone's involvement in the championship, he will hold a daily press briefing to counter what he sees as the “fake news media” of RTE.

“Coach Harte is a great man. He's religious, God-fearing, supports wealth creators like Sean Quinn and I love his anti-abortion stance.”

“We will not talk to RTE. They are FAKE NEWS. For the last six years they have engaged in a witch hunt against Tyrone and especially against our beloved Coach Harte. Their ratings are falling. Nobody cares about their lies. It's sad!”

Spicer will write a weekly column for the Tyrone GAA website entitled “A View From The Bushes”, echoing his infamous midnight press briefing in the grounds of the White House.

The former White House Press Secretary was impressed by his whistle stop tour around the county this morning and afternoon.

“I dig Coalisland. I love the people. I got to see where Game of Thrones is filmed – man I love that show. The Ulster-American folk park took me back to my roots. They love their country music here too, just like back home. So it feels like home here in the old country. I can't wait to see Philomena Begley play live.”

He has also been familiarising himself with the team he will be representing.

“I saw a video of the Ulster final. It was totally awesome. Coach Harte's team made Tyrone great again. And what a crowd – it was the biggest crowd ever for a Gaelic football match.”

When told that the 32,000 people in attendance at Clones last Sunday was a full 58,000 less than the 90,000 that were present for the 1961 All-Ireland football final between Down and Offaly, Spicer was unrepentant.

“It was the biggest crowd for a Gaelic football match EVER. Period. Just look at the photographs.”

The team's fashion sense also appeals to Spicer.

“The team colours of all-white are just beautiful. All-white is the way it should stay. Tyrone should never go back to red shorts.”

“I love the team's history too. The boys from the Bushes repeatedly taking down Kerry in the 2000s – just like the 2004 US presidential election.”

When one Armagh-based reporter joked to Spicer that the 2008 All-Ireland final featured a group of bearded men taking down the “Twin Towers” in September, Spicer was unamused and briefly stormed out before being presuaded to return by Garvaghey tea lady Nuala O'Hoop.

After six months of service to Uncle Sam, Spicer is now hot on the chase of another Sam.

“I've just come from the White House, but the goal is to end up back in the other White House when we meet President Higgins with the Sam Maguire Trophy.”

As part of the deal to bring Donald Trump's former press secretary to Tyrone, the team's shirt sponsors will change from “McAleer and Rushe” to “McAleer and Russia”.

Edited by sid waddell - 23 Jul 2017 at 12:16am
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 12:17am

ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 4:17am
Thankfully I was in croke park for u2 tonight so didn't have to witness that performance from us in Sligo

I've not watched it and don't intended towatch it but the 1 outcome I want now is for Rory Gallagher to leave as it's obvious to see he's not capable of managing a team at this level and has just brought us so backwards in his 3 years in charge
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
Salzburglilly View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 7:01am
The only Donegal man in Croke park this summer LOL
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 1:00pm
Down would be nice for Dublin.Tongue

Can only see Monaghan and Kildare coming through though.
Given the two week break you'd expect both to win out.

Expect a reaction from Monaghan after their performance against Carlow.
Even though there'll be a bit of needle in the Kil/Armagh match - Kildare should be too strong for the Orchard county.

SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 4:41pm

Even though there'll be a bit of needle in the Kil/Armagh match - Kildare should be too strong for the Orchard county.

Why though? I mean, they were poor enough against Down the first time around, and poor enough against Carlow. I'm not sure they'll improve. I don't expect Down to win but I don't think it's fair to say that only Monaghan can win.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Why though? I mean, they were poor enough against Down the first time around, and poor enough against Carlow. I'm not sure they'll improve. I don't expect Down to win but I don't think it's fair to say that only Monaghan can win.

Not saying they have a divine right to win no team in sport does but on league form and as a 1st division team you'd have to go for Monaghan.
Well if there is no reaction and they lose then Malachy O'Rourke will walk I reckon.

Seriously they can't be any worse then they were against Carlow I was at the game and they were woeful I expected them to wipe the floor with Carlow. 
Bo Jackson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bo Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 10:23pm
Been quiet on this thread recently due to my own absence from Galway games in the Championship. Saturdays qualifier was the first championship game I made this summer and by jesus I wasn't disappointed.

Promotion from Division 2 was the primary goal this season and we've done that. However, a lot of the good work that done would have been lost if we didn;t answer the critics on Saturday evening. The Connacht final was a major disappointment. I didn't even get to see that game live in full but the snippets I saw were enough to conclude why we lost. Roscommon to their credit were the better team, and outfought us in every position. Tactically were left wanting but more alarming was our attitude. Only for a 10 minute spell when we reeled off six points in a row to narrow the gap to three points, did we show what we were capable of. But the Rossies stepped it up another gear and we had no answer.

There was no question who wanted to win this game more. The attitude, hunger, and execution for the 70 minutes on Saturday was everything any Galway fan who travelled to Sligo could ask for. I knew this team had more to offer, and I was pissed off with the way people in our county wrote us off. We hadn't turned into a bad team overnight and coming out of Markievicz Park on Saturday, I was beyond satisfied they had proved that.

We learned from our mistakes and played to our strengths. Kevin Walsh needed to focus on the approach that got us this far. Ruairi Lavelle came in for huge criticism not only for the final but in the Mayo game. We suddenly decided in the Championship to put a huge emphasis on short kickouts and building from the back. I have no issue with that. However, it was clear in both games we were not comfortable with doing that. I'd hazard a guess that the level of preparation to execute it properly in match situations wasn't done and we were punished for it. I can remember three years ago in Walshs first year how we could barely handpass across the field facing a blanket defence without dropping it in the League. Its important to point out though that no matter if Lavelle had struck every kickout perfectly, the players weren't working hard enough to secure that ball and support the man in possession. If Lavelle had went long, Roscommon more than likely would have won the majority of clean ball because they wanted it more.

Against Donegal, we didn't abandon the short kickout, we just showed for it far more often when we had to and set up a solid platform to attack from. The same went for long kickouts. We either won the ball cleanly or winning the breaking ball. Attitude can make a savage adjustment at this level. I felt sorry for Lavelle that he was dropped but his replacement Bernard Power (last years No.1) could not be faulted throughout and capped his display off with a fantastic penalty double save. Its secured his position for the rest of the championship.

The same hunger and desire we showed against Mayo was there Saturday. And what we did on and off the ball was simply too much for Donegal to handle. We went to basics, in terms of our football but the system Kevin Walsh has introduced. Every player was tracking back and nullifying Donegal when we didn;t have the ball. Theere always players in support when we had the ball. Johnny Heaney was superb from first minute to last. Two great goals running from deep and a constant nuisance with his tracking. He left Conroy and Flynn to take control of midfield and orchestrate the attack.

Ian Burke for years has been talked up as a key player for Galway, first not getting much opportunity and then this year, not taking it. He proved to me anyways that he's well able for this level with a fine display. His composure on the ball and how he used it made a huge difference in amongst Donegals packed defence. Michael Daly has nailed down the No.11 position and his impact this year only points to a positive future. Comer is always a threat and he is struggling to hit the same heights as last year. He is getting drawn into sledging contests that aren't doing him no favours. I know if he can cut that out he'll be more effective. Shane Walsh has been utilised at No.11, No.14 at wing half forward but for now he has stay at corner forward. He is a quality footballer that can do plenty of damage inside if given the chance. The return of Sean Armstrong has been a delight. For years he infuriated me with lacklustre displays never matching his potential. But since he's returned he's been fantastic, I dont understand why he was dropped for the Connacht final but he won;t be dropped next Sunday. Excellent of frees and his movement belying that of a veteran inter-county forward.

And yet, the most talked about forward that evening was Michael Meehan. I don't want to jinx him because he has suffered setback upon setback over the last 10 years with injury. In the time he was on, you couldn;t take your eyes off him. He looked in good shape and while I think he still has a bit to go, even for 20 minutes, he could make a massive difference. His talent is unquestionable and the boost to have him come off the bench could be a game changer going forward. He was desperate to score but not at the expense of the team, selfishly laying off a pass that led to a point when the game was well and truly over. Danny Cummins came on to score a cracker of a goal. Depth and talent is there, and we're certainly worthy of our place in the last 8.

I will sound a note of caution that we can only play what was in front of us. After the first ten minutes I was expecting a much closer game against Donegal. Once we got the first goal however, their heads suddenly dropped. I noticed that Eoin McHugh had started well but after making three good runs he was out of gas and barely threatened after. McBrearty got a wonderful point to piut Donegal ahead before that goal but got little service after that. Had to feel sorry for Michael Murphy. For years, he has been the go to man with this team but the onus of leading the team is becoming greater and greater on him. He cannot do it by himself. I'm sure there is enough talent in the county to play alongside him and make Donegal a threat in the Championship. Sincerely doubt Rory Gallagher is the man to do that, he's been there three years now and there is little he can point to that suggests he is doing a good job. Kevin Walsh in comparison has brought several new players and a new system in the same timeframe to a team that was much worse than Donegal in 2014.

As for Sunday, I can only hope we bring the same attitude and performance against Kerry. And after that who knows? The last thing I want to see from Galway is to become a Jekyll and Hyde team on the big occasion. We all know what Tipp did last year to us. We could very well lose to Kerry but with this being our third quarter final in four years and with Division 1 football coming next year, we need a big performance at Croker regardless of the opposition in front of us.
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 10:22am
Antrim and Belfast men, where would you pick up a county flag about Belfast (don't say a bonfire), apparently O'Neills don't do them?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041 78>
  Share Topic