You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will Keane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 24>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

He did make the Man Utd first team in his teens and had a glittering future ahead of him before the injuries really kicked in. Mick encouraged him to declare for Ireland, which he has done, and Kenny has clearly seen enough to convince him he's worth a gamble. Let's just wait and see how it goes.

That sums up where I'm at also. Unlike others, I think he'll get pitch time vs the Azeri, as I cant see why he would have been selected at this point in time otherwise. The management team must surely have realised the pretty obvious criticism which was bound to come their way after his selection. Why, when already on shaky ground, provide more ammo for your detractors if you don't intend playing him? They could easily have held off on selecting him until after the campaign if they didn't intend using him.

Hopefully he justifies his selection, but as you say, it's very definitely a gamble and probably a fatal one if it doesn't work out.
Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 4:20pm
I really think Keane is the type of player we're missing, I watch the EFL highlights on Quest most weeks and was the one that bumped this thread a few weeks ago. His attributes fit perfectly. A goal scoring number 10 whos good in the air and has a knack of making runs in behind to score headers from crosses.

The amount of chances we've wasted from headers over or just wide of the target and having to rely on Duffy and Egan to be in the sole threat in the box from corners and set pieces that at times has left us exposed at the back on the counter. Someone like Keane can offer that threat for 90 minutes without that risk.

I think hes worth a shot.

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

They really need to learn how to read a crowd. Most fans understandably have reservations about his call up because of his England caps and lack of quality.

They're just setting him up for a fall if anything.

For the record and I would share some of the reservations (primarily regarding his ability as I haven't seen him play a full match and he is a L1 player), Collins, Maguire, Hogan, Scully. Mc Goldrick, Robinson, Curtis and Aiden O'Brien were all born in England, I cant be bothered to check which of them have underage caps for England, (perhaps they weren't good enough?) but I know Robinson and Scully have.

I'm a realist. I'm fully aware the vast majority of English-born players are playing for us because they aren't good enough to play for England. I'm referring to the average Joe you'd see commenting on 42 or Twitter. What they know of Keane is his Man Utd past, past England caps, and a brother who is a senior England intl and former Ireland intl.

The FAI media team really need to look at the optics here. If it was Patrick Bamford, even the most cynical among us would have our spirits raised by a PL player who consistently scores goals at that level declaring for us.

But this is 28-year-old Will Keane, who has a 1 in 13 record at Championship level. The lack of self-awareness is almost comical.

I have already said it's either brave or stupid due to the optics - He played 82 games across several seasons at PL/CH level due to well documented injury problems. I have no idea if he's any good, but at 28, Daryl Murphy scored 4 in 33 in the CH for Ipswich, Mc Goldrick 5 in 30 in the CH also for Ipswich, so I dont think that is grounds for exclusion considering the current competition for a spot and his team currently sit top of L1, so he may well be a Chship striker this time next year at 29 (younger than James Collins currently who hasn't managed a goal or assist this season).

The management team have clearly seen something in his game that they feel perhaps doesn't exist amongst our other limited (for various reasons) squad members - blowing his trumpet does seem a very strange thing for the FAI to do at this point, but the manager will live and die by his decisions - I just find the whole brouhaha over his selection a bit ott.

Daryl Murphy played 72 Premier League games, helped Sunderland to promotion to the Premier League, and had already reached double figures in one Championship campaign, all by the age of 28. It's insulting to him that you're comparing him to Will Keane.

Not to mention he also played predominantly as a winger at the start of his career.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 5:59pm
Will has had an injury ravished career where he has rarely strung together a run of more than 10 consecutive games. Its not worth arguing what he has or hasnt done in the distant past.

In his last 17 games for Wigan he has 10 goals and 5 assists that coincided with his best run of games without injury for any club throughout his career.

He was a highly rated player at United for a reason like Robbie Brady once was.

We know if Robbie stays fit and gets a run of games to us hes a big assist.

Same goes for Keane. If he stays fit, he can score goals.

Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 6:37pm
I’d be surprised hell feature on Saturday unless there’s a couple of late pullouts. Good luck to home if he goes.

Off topic a bit but anyone know the last debutant to score on debut and that game being a competitive fixture. Might be someone obvious I can’t think of.

Edited by Dalymount79 - 05 Oct 2021 at 6:37pm
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by Dalymount79 Dalymount79 wrote:

I’d be surprised hell feature on Saturday unless there’s a couple of late pullouts. Good luck to home if he goes.

Off topic a bit but anyone know the last debutant to score on debut and that game being a competitive fixture. Might be someone obvious I can’t think of.

Good question. I think Tommy Coyne scored on his debut but I think that was a friendly (against Switzerland?)
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by Dalymount79 Dalymount79 wrote:

Is it Stephen Ireland? He scored on his debut in a qualifier but I don't know if there was someone else after him.
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 7:18pm
Balls. I just checked. I was completely wrong. This doing my head in
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 7:25pm
Off the top of my head, Clinton Morrison scored on his debut in a friendly against Croatia. Robbie Brady against Oman? Can't think of any since then.

Edited by Mr. Snrub - 05 Oct 2021 at 7:28pm
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 7:44pm
James Collins in the 3-1 win against Bulgaria back in 2019.

Before that it was Aidan O'Brien in the 1-1 draw against Poland in 2018.

Edited by Bandwagon - 05 Oct 2021 at 7:47pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 8:05pm
Paul Green scored on his debut but it was in a friendly.
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 8:32pm

Paul Green scored on his debut but it was in a friendly.
that was his second game, he was a sub in the previous game

I wrote this up a few years ago, needs to be updated

Edited by tetsujin1979 - 05 Oct 2021 at 8:33pm
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 1:05am
If being good enough to be one of the top ten strikers in League one in your late twenties merits being the starting centre forward for our national team these days then people can stop complaining about as not being able to beat the likes of Luxembourg and Azerbaijan as we truly don't deserve to be.

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 8:55am
Doesn’t make the match day 23 for today
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 9:54am
has the matchday squad been announced somewhere?
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 10:08am
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

https://twitter.com/nathanmurf/status/1446745515203473409

Says Will Keane and Jason Knight won't be in the squad tonight but Idah will.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 10:17am
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

https://twitter.com/nathanmurf/status/1446745515203473409

Says Will Keane and Jason Knight won't be in the squad tonight but Idah will.

Good Knight, Irene.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 10:24am
Idah Keane Knight but ended up with disappointed with Smallbone

Edited by Trap junior - 09 Oct 2021 at 10:33am
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 24>
  Share Topic