You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will Keane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 24>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

The more i look at our forward options the more I'm thinking that Keane should start ahead of idah vs Azerbaijan. 

Idah just isn't ready yet and it's too much for a player that's played 139 mins of football with Norwich this season (which include the 90mins vs Liverpool B team in the efl Cup) and just 325 mins of football all last season albeit due to injury. 

Scoring 3 goals since Sept 2020 which were vs Huddersfield, wycombe and Barnsley.

Not saying he didn't do OK but that's only when you caveat with the fact he's not playing.

Will Keane has at least played 935mins of football this season and 2220mins last season.

If Kenny can a pull a mad one out of his hole like starting Jamie McGrath against Portugal, then Keane starting against Azerbaijan is well within the realms of possibility. 
Sponsored Links

B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 10:34pm

Either way.

Idah shouldn't start
Horgan shouldn't play
McClean shouldn't play

J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

The more i look at our forward options the more I'm thinking that Keane should start ahead of idah vs Azerbaijan. 

Idah just isn't ready yet and it's too much for a player that's played 139 mins of football with Norwich this season (which include the 90mins vs Liverpool B team in the efl Cup) and just 325 mins of football all last season albeit due to injury. 

Scoring 3 goals since Sept 2020 which were vs Huddersfield, wycombe and Barnsley.

Not saying he didn't do OK but that's only when you caveat with the fact he's not playing.

Will Keane has at least played 935mins of football this season and 2220mins last season.

If Kenny can a pull a mad one out of his hole like starting Jamie McGrath against Portugal, then Keane starting against Azerbaijan is well within the realms of possibility. 

True, but one thing with McGrath was he was in the training camp over the summer and Kenny knows him going back to Dundalk. Knight and Browne were also missing from the squad. Keane is coming into his first squad and we've got no starting forwards out injured.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 11:12am
8 goals in 82 games at PL and Championship level, 6 of which were from open play.

1 goal in every 13 games from open play, 1 in 10 if you include penalties.

Which is ironic considering someone here was criticising Hendrick for "only" having 1 in 10 from midfield.

It's also disingenuous to compare Keane's present record to Scully's as Scully is 22 whereas Keane is a near 30 year old who's already proven his sh*teness at a higher level consistently in the past.

O'Shea/Eoink/4-4-2/Wesley Wanderers will be delighted, though, since Mipo Odubeko's complete and utter abjectness at Huddersfield so far has given him little to get excited about.
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

8 goals in 82 games at PL and Championship level, 6 of which were from open play.

Which is ironic considering someone here was criticising Hendrick for "only" having 1 in 10 from midfield.

It's also disingenuous to compare Keane's present record to Scully's as Scully is 22 whereas Keane is a near 30 year old who's already proven his sh*teness at a higher level consistently in the past.

O'Shea/Eoink/4-4-2/Wesley Wanderers will be delighted, though, since Mipo Odubeko's complete and utter abjectness at Huddersfield so far has given him little to get excited about.

You started making a valid argument about Will Keane's record but then decided to have a go at your alter egos / arch nemesis (most of us on here can't determine which or what the relationship actually is). Why don't you just use DM, save us all having to read this sh*te? 
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 1:17pm
FAI seem to be really whoring him out on their social channels.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

It is all very strange. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 1:48pm
They really need to learn how to read a crowd. Most fans understandably have reservations about his call up because of his England caps and lack of quality.

They're just setting him up for a fall if anything.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 1:51pm

No its disingenuous to refer to Keane's record at CH/PL level when he hasn't played there since 2018/19. Players can and do improve as they get older btw - Drogba, Vardy, Walters, Mc Goldrick, Daryl Murphy etc.

He is 28 and since the start of the 2020/21 campaign he has 15 goals in 42 L1 games. Scully has 18 goals in 51 L1 games, Parrott has 5 in 26 L1 games (plus 0 in 11 CH games) over the same period. As pointed out by several others, Scully is a left sided forward and playing in the same position as Connolly and the position in which Robinson has played for West Brom this season. Keane and Scully have similar goals per game ratios in League 1 over the last season and a bit, but they are entirely different types of player, which may explain Keane's selection over Scully. I was surprised at Keane's inclusion, but I can see a certain logic to it - it's either brave or stupid. I was not particularly surprised at Scully's exclusion - he will get his chance in March.

I have never seen either Scully or Keane play a full game - the management team have made a decision, you can lump on when and if it all goes tits up, but the faux outrage is all a bit ott tbh.
Idah Dream!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

No its disingenuous to refer to Keane's record at CH/PL level when he hasn't played there since 2018/19. Players can and do improve as they get older btw - Drogba, Vardy, Walters, Mc Goldrick, Daryl Murphy etc.

He is 28 and since the start of the 2020/21 campaign he has 15 goals in 42 L1 games. Scully has 18 goals in 51 L1 games, Parrott has 5 in 26 L1 games (plus 0 in 11 CH games) over the same period. As pointed out by several others, Scully is a left sided forward and playing in the same position as Connolly and the position in which Robinson has played for West Brom this season. Keane and Scully have similar goals per game ratios in League 1 over the last season and a bit, but they are entirely different types of player, which may explain Keane's selection over Scully. I was surprised at Keane's inclusion, but I can see a certain logic to it - it's either brave or stupid. I was not particularly surprised at Scully's exclusion - he will get his chance in March.

I have never seen either Scully or Keane play a full game - the management team have made a decision, you can lump on when and if it all goes tits up, but the faux outrage is all a bit ott tbh.

Murphy played virtually his entire career at Championship level or higher. Walters was released by a PL club as a kid and worked his way back up and stayed there. Vardy gradually worked his way up from non-league to PL level and stayed there.

Keane played approx. a hundred games at Championship level or higher, looking distinctly ordinary, before finally dropping down and finally finding his level.

Drogba FFS...
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 2:08pm

They really need to learn how to read a crowd. Most fans understandably have reservations about his call up because of his England caps and lack of quality.

For the record and I would share some of the reservations (primarily regarding his ability as I haven't seen him play a full match and he is a L1 player), Collins, Maguire, Hogan, Scully. Mc Goldrick, Robinson, Curtis and Aiden O'Brien were all born in England, I cant be bothered to check which of them have underage caps for England, (perhaps they weren't good enough?) but I know Robinson and Scully have.
Idah Dream!
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

It is all very strange. 

I have never said it here as what's the point but now you mention it the FAI twitter page is cringe/drivel at the best of times it's not remotely surprising to hear it.

Nothing at all against Bazunu and I get he's the new hotshot but it's a bit unfair on him to have him doing all the press conferences. He's very well spoken but he is being hyped to oblivion and god forbid the poor kid makes a mistake soon (had hairy moments the last campaign) exaggerated abuse tends to follow exaggerated praise.

Edited by kevin100 - 05 Oct 2021 at 2:10pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 2:15pm

For the record and I would share some of the reservations (primarily regarding his ability as I haven't seen him play a full match and he is a L1 player), Collins, Maguire, Hogan, Scully. Mc Goldrick, Robinson, Curtis and Aiden O'Brien were all born in England, I cant be bothered to check which of them have underage caps for England, (perhaps they weren't good enough?) but I know Robinson and Scully have.

I'm a realist. I'm fully aware the vast majority of English-born players are playing for us because they aren't good enough to play for England. I'm referring to the average Joe you'd see commenting on 42 or Twitter. What they know of Keane is his Man Utd past, past England caps, and a brother who is a senior England intl and former Ireland intl.

The FAI media team really need to look at the optics here. If it was Patrick Bamford, even the most cynical among us would have our spirits raised by a PL player who consistently scores goals at that level declaring for us.

But this is 28-year-old Will Keane, who has a 1 in 13 record at Championship level. The lack of self-awareness is almost comical.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 2:31pm

I'm a realist. I'm fully aware the vast majority of English-born players are playing for us because they aren't good enough to play for England. I'm referring to the average Joe you'd see commenting on 42 or Twitter. What they know of Keane is his Man Utd past, past England caps, and a brother who is a senior England intl and former Ireland intl.

The FAI media team really need to look at the optics here. If it was Patrick Bamford, even the most cynical among us would have our spirits raised by a PL player who consistently scores goals at that level declaring for us.

But this is 28-year-old Will Keane, who has a 1 in 13 record at Championship level. The lack of self-awareness is almost comical.

I have already said it's either brave or stupid due to the optics - He played 82 games across several seasons at PL/CH level due to well documented injury problems. I have no idea if he's any good, but at 28, Daryl Murphy scored 4 in 33 in the CH for Ipswich, Mc Goldrick 5 in 30 in the CH also for Ipswich, so I dont think that is grounds for exclusion considering the current competition for a spot and his team currently sit top of L1, so he may well be a Chship striker this time next year at 29 (younger than James Collins currently who hasn't managed a goal or assist this season).

The management team have clearly seen something in his game that they feel perhaps doesn't exist amongst our other limited (for various reasons) squad members - blowing his trumpet does seem a very strange thing for the FAI to do at this point, but the manager will live and die by his decisions - I just find the whole brouhaha over his selection a bit ott.
Idah Dream!
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 2:35pm

Where? On Twitter & Instagram all I see is one post welcoming him to his first Ireland camp.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

Where? On Twitter & Instagram all I see is one post welcoming him to his first Ireland camp.

I think there was a story or two on IG also. It just felt like they were pushing it too hard. It might just be me. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 3:28pm

Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

I think there was a story or two on IG also. It just felt like they were pushing it too hard. It might just be me. 

They do it very every new call up.

They'd one for each of Omobamidele, McGrath, Mandroiu, Ogbene, Szmodics in recent months.

Theres no agenda.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 3:55pm
He did make the Man Utd first team in his teens and had a glittering future ahead of him before the injuries really kicked in. Mick encouraged him to declare for Ireland, which he has done, and Kenny has clearly seen enough to convince him he's worth a gamble. Let's just wait and see how it goes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 24>
  Share Topic