You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

World Cup Qualifying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 40>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 9:59pm
As regards the second place playoff seedings (team ranked last of the 9 runners up doesn't make the playoffs), it was good for us tonight that Sweden lost, Holland lost, Bosnia lost and Greece drew.
Sponsored Links

Cathalthesmart View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cathalthesmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Originally posted by Cathalthesmart Cathalthesmart wrote:

Syria in dreamland right now and I'm delighted for the troubled nation and huge underdog.

On Tuesday, A win against Iran and a draw between Korea and Uzbekistan see's them in Russia next year - Syria will finish 2nd on GD

I want Syria to pull it off as much as the next guy but away to an Iranian side that has yet to concede a goal I really just can't see it sadly :( 

I'd settle with Uzbekistan as a consolation, but definitely not Korea.. They've been woeful in what was supposed to be a stroll in the park for them, I'd say they would be the least deserved Nation in the tournament if they do win on Tuesday.

Im the same, for sh*t's and giggles I would love Saudi to qualify (which could happen as they are very difficult to beat in Mecca and are against a Japan side who are through already). Im not a fan of Korea tbh and woudlnt be upset if they make it, would have been great is Uzbekistan handnt f**ked up vs China as then they would only need a point.
Hi Lads
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 10:04pm
Its sad to see how far holland have fallen. Such great players they always had. That team tonight didnt look like a holland team. Mbappe is the man tho. World class no doubt.
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 10:15pm

Syria in dreamland right now and I'm delighted for the troubled nation and huge underdog.

On Tuesday, A win against Iran and a draw between Korea and Uzbekistan see's them in Russia next year - Syria will finish 2nd on GD

It would be a huge propaganda boost to the Syrian regime. Who supports the regime? Iran, Russia?! Wouldn't be surprised if Syria won in against a lacklustre already qualified Iran. A good thing for the average Syrian looking for a peaceful life... my bollix.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by Dalymount79 Dalymount79 wrote:

It would be a huge propaganda boost to the Syrian regime. Who supports the regime? Iran, Russia?! Wouldn't be surprised if Syria won in against a lacklustre already qualified Iran. A good thing for the average Syrian looking for a peaceful life... my bollix.

DeadClown

Are you for real?!
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 9:17am
South America.
Peru and Paraguay won last night to move back into contention.
Uruguay and Argentina drew.
Brazil won, already qualified.
3 matches left for all teams.

6 teams from 2nd to 7th within 4 points of each other.
Argentina still only 5th in table, but will probably be alright with 2 easy enough home games to come.
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 10:42am
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

South America.

Argentina still only 5th in table, but will probably be alright with 2 easy enough home games to come.
Even if Argentina were to mess those up and finish 5th, they'll still be in a play-off against the winner of the Oceania qualifiers which will most likely be New Zealand (who beat Solomon Islands 6-1 in the 1st leg of the Oceania play-off final). So you would think they should still have more than enough about them to make it to Russia.

Edited by ConorMac77 - 01 Sep 2017 at 10:42am
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 11:10am
Would love to see Peru qualify, a truly mad footballing nation who were once one of the giants of South American football in the 70's and early 80's.

Pablo Guerrero Approve
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 11:28am
Always loved their shirt.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 11:50am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Always loved their shirt.

Absolute quality Clap

There are not many more iconic shirts in International football. 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

South America.

Even if Argentina were to mess those up and finish 5th, they'll still be in a play-off against the winner of the Oceania qualifiers which will most likely be New Zealand (who beat Solomon Islands 6-1 in the 1st leg of the Oceania play-off final). So you would think they should still have more than enough about them to make it to Russia.

As much as I love an upset it would be an awful shame if Argentina didn't qualify.
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

South America.

As much as I love an upset it would be an awful shame if Argentina didn't qualify.
There are some teams who have that tag 'the tournament wouldn't be the same without them' and Argentina are one of those teams.  Unfortunately, so are Holland and look at the mess they're in. LOL

Besides, like yourself, I love to see a few upsets, but too many of them can badly impact on the quality of the tournament later on - World Cup 2002 is a good example where the likes of Argentina, France, Italy etc went out early (Holland didn't even qualify) only for us to then end up with unappetizing quarter and semi finals such as Senegal v Turkey, USA v Korea.

The occasional upset is great but at the end of the day, a tournament really needs the big guns slogging it out at the business end.
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 2:33pm
None of those two matches were semi finals but yah it would be a shame if the Dutch didn't qualify. It benefits us if the Dutch lose out in a potential playoff spot as I'd rather we face Sweden than them.

They still have Robben and Van Persie
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 2:39pm

None of those two matches were semi finals but yah it would be a shame if the Dutch didn't qualify. It benefits us if the Dutch lose out in a potential playoff spot as I'd rather we face Sweden than them.

We'd beat the Dutch over two legs they're a shambles

Argentina have  as said two home games they should be winning Venezuela and Peru , Ecuador away is a tricky one at altitude

But expect 6 points to be enough for them to finish at least 5th meaning a playoff vs New Zealand who'd they'd easily beat over two legs
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 2:41pm

When the Dutch didn't qualify for 2016, my Dutch friends told me they wouldn't qualify for 2018 either.

Have to say I didn't believe them.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

When the Dutch didn't qualify for 2016, my Dutch friends told me they wouldn't qualify for 2018 either.

Have to say I didn't believe them.

What about 2016?
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Argentina have  as said two home games they should be winning Venezuela and Peru , Ecuador away is a tricky one at altitude

But expect 6 points to be enough for them to finish at least 5th meaning a playoff vs New Zealand who'd they'd easily beat over two legs

Honestly Lass do you base your opinions on reality or just what you want to happen?

Even on the Sweden game, the idea that it was bad news for the Dutch if Bulgaria won was bonkers when it is the complete opposite.

At best it would be an extremely tight playoff with the dutch who we never beat when it matters. We certainly would be nowhere near favourites

Edited by irishmufc - 01 Sep 2017 at 2:52pm
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 2:55pm

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Honestly Lass do you base your opinions on reality or just what you want to happen?

Even on the Sweden game, the idea that it was bad news for the Dutch if Bulgaria won was bonkers when it is the complete opposite.

At best it would be an extremely tight playoff with the dutch who we never beat when it matters. We certainly would be nowhere near favourites

LOL
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 40>
  Share Topic