You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

English League Cup 2016/2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 16>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Ultimately, this is just what the media are anxious for. Nothing incidents where plastic cups are thrown between men with mean expressions on their face.

As somebody who was actually at the game last night it was well policed, and the security presence was successful in its attempts to ensure that the trouble that one might expect was never going to happen.

The so-called "incidents" were noting, but the media will have a great time ranting about football culture and violence, when last night was nothing of the sort.

So the fan on 5-live earlier talking about coins being thrown and seats being ripped up and thrown was making it up ??
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 2:42pm

Ultimately, this is just what the media are anxious for. Nothing incidents where plastic cups are thrown between men with mean expressions on their face.

As somebody who was actually at the game last night it was well policed, and the security presence was successful in its attempts to ensure that the trouble that one might expect was never going to happen.

The so-called "incidents" were noting, but the media will have a great time ranting about football culture and violence, when last night was nothing of the sort.
Which is, putting aside my 'atred for the 'appy 'ammers aside, the correct answer. There probably is issues with internal policing and there are certainly question marks over how much security is there but it is probably for Lady Brady to sort out and not the media to cream the togs over.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

So the fan on 5-live earlier talking about coins being thrown and seats being ripped up and thrown was making it up ??

Show me where I said that?
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Which is, putting aside my 'atred for the 'appy 'ammers aside, the correct answer. There probably is issues with internal policing and there are certainly question marks over how much security is there but it is probably for Lady Brady to sort out and not the media to cream the togs over.

Agreed. This is not some systemic degeneration. There have been teething problems at the new place, and these must be rectified. But in terms of internal supporter segregation, and the standing issues, these have been addressed. Furthermore, the turnstiles issues have been gradually rectified with the issuance of new ticket. While there may be more to go, its incrementally getting sorted. Tiny elements are being magnified by the media as though it was WW3 LAST NIGHT.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 3:29pm

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Agreed. This is not some systemic degeneration. There have been teething problems at the new place, and these must be rectified. But in terms of internal supporter segregation, and the standing issues, these have been addressed. Furthermore, the turnstiles issues have been gradually rectified with the issuance of new ticket. While there may be more to go, its incrementally getting sorted. Tiny elements are being magnified by the media as though it was WW3 LAST NIGHT.
As I put forward elsewhere, the EPL and the broadcasters need it and the media have always loved it. I have loved some of the tabloid reports of it, calling online trash talk as 'chilling' and 'bone tingling'. LOL It is some lad in Surrey reliving his youth for f**k sake.
seaniemac View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seaniemac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

The big problem was that the stadium was designed for Athletics, so there's no segregation in the access routes , turnstiles etc. That'll have to be built now. The stewarding is a joke too. Newham Council are supposed to supply these, and have been supplying stewards who are used to Taylor Swift concerts, not Chelsea/West Ham fans.

Wouldn't fully agree with this. There's no segregation in the access routes for most stadiums, Old Trafford is one for example. The away fans have their own turnstiles now in the Olympic stadium and they had a corden in place for after the game to divert the Chelsea supporters away from the ground and not send them towards Stratford station.

I would agree with you that the stewards are next to useless in the stadium. It's like they didn't forsee any teething problems and most of them are still not sure of the layout of the stadium/seat locations.

I was also at the game and thought the stewards at Stratford station are still pretty useless two months on from the first game. 

It was also quite obvious there was going to be a flash point between the two sets of fans as the blocks either side of the segregation areas weren't even watching the game and just finger pointing and billy big bollocks posturing for most of the game. It just looks embarrassing on TV from what were lads who mostly are knocking the bollox out of 40. 

When the flashpoint started, the stewards looked like they either didn't know what to do or didn't want to risk getting a slap for their troubles. It will only improve when they finally get that airwave radio system in place but that's now not until February. The met police have blamed E20, the stadium owners, for this and said they highlighted it back in 2014. It's amazing that they were allowed move West Ham in without this system in place. 

I wonder what odds on West Ham getting Millwall at home in the FA Cup third round draw? 

Sligo Hornet View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Runner Up, Branson lookalike 2003

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sligo Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 9:48pm
Seaniemac.....good insight from you as you were actually there......agree from my one experience being there for the Watford game.....stewarding was poor ... NO Police inside or outside....no segregation outside after game....lack of good signage/ directions for exiting after the game

Met Police surely have a duty to prevent ( what was 100% guaranteed to happen ) violence outside the stadium.....so to abandon responsibility ( so I have heard and read )
is crazy ....West Ham also must take control ( and suffer the cost ) to secure fans safety .... they are the tenants ... they invite people there at huge cost....they are responsible for their welfare

coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by Sligo Hornet Sligo Hornet wrote:

Seaniemac.....good insight from you as you were actually there......agree from my one experience being there for the Watford game.....stewarding was poor ... NO Police inside or outside....no segregation outside after game....lack of good signage/ directions for exiting after the game

Met Police surely have a duty to prevent ( what was 100% guaranteed to happen ) violence outside the stadium.....so to abandon responsibility ( so I have heard and read )
is crazy ....West Ham also must take control ( and suffer the cost ) to secure fans safety .... they are the tenants ... they invite people there at huge cost....they are responsible for their welfare

Exactly what I said then. Sunderland fans said the same.

I can safely say myself as I work in an Away stand in a Stadium, Stewards are not allowed to arrest or publicly arrest, once tempers have kicked off it turns into a Police matter - But there's no police present cos they're all outside the Stadium at WHU. 
The security is utterly flawed, it's almost as if the Stewards are there just to be cannon fodder. 
I've had sets of fans kick off at me, Chelsea 1 of them actually, and all you can do really is buy time for the Police arrive then you're allowed to assist them. But I wouldn't dare dive into a crowd of fans to get to 1 of them, it's not worth the risk of getting a punch in the back of the head for. 
seaniemac View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seaniemac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 1:16am
Originally posted by Sligo Hornet Sligo Hornet wrote:

SH, I think it's more a problem with E20, the stadium owners than directly with West Ham (although I'm sure they can do more as well). 

There is decent signage now up leading back to the station, that has improved from the first game in August I was there and after the game, they were sending Chelsea fans to the Pudding Mill Lane DLR station instead of sending them to Stratford. Think the idea was for them to go one stop and then get on the district line back into town while the home fans use the central line but it's also only one stop back up to Stratford from Pudding Mill Lane as well.

There was a lot of police sitting in vans in-between Stratford station and the ground but from what I saw anyway, they were only in the concourse and not actually out in the stands until it all kicked off near the end.

It would be interesting to see how that stadium, even for the Olympics, got approved without the correct radio system in place for the cops. Surely you'd think that is a massive health and safety fail?

Realistically, the only thing they can do now is have the Trevor Brooking stand exclusively for the away fans. Put them in the middle blocks in the lower and upper tier of that stand and have 2/3 blocks either side empty to keep the fans separated. Having all the food/drinks stalls on the ground floor is another problem for them too.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 1:15pm
First, there was a significant presence from the Met there on Wednesday night. They were in the stands and were available to be called when necessary. Like I said, the problems seemed to stem from people "larging it up" and enter the competition for who can pull the meanest face and use the worst language, with only isolated, and others irrelevant moments of trouble. The bulk of it seemed to be the throwing of plastic cups. Not to be condoned in the slightest, but certainly not something to get one's knickers in a twist over.

There was a world of difference between the away segregation at the Watford game and the Sunderland game. However, the current gap is even wider than it was at the BG and was the case for the BG. Any away ground you go to will generally have only certain amount of segregation, which unfortunately is insufficient to stop the occasional idiot who feels compelled to throw plastic around the place. Notwithstanding, there has been a world of difference between the Sunderland and Watford game, and I could see that with my own two eyes.
seaniemac View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seaniemac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 5:00pm

First, there was a significant presence from the Met there on Wednesday night. They were in the stands and were available to be called when necessary. Like I said, the problems seemed to stem from people "larging it up" and enter the competition for who can pull the meanest face and use the worst language, with only isolated, and others irrelevant moments of trouble. The bulk of it seemed to be the throwing of plastic cups. Not to be condoned in the slightest, but certainly not something to get one's knickers in a twist over.

There was a world of difference between the away segregation at the Watford game and the Sunderland game. However, the current gap is even wider than it was at the BG and was the case for the BG. Any away ground you go to will generally have only certain amount of segregation, which unfortunately is insufficient to stop the occasional idiot who feels compelled to throw plastic around the place. Notwithstanding, there has been a world of difference between the Sunderland and Watford game, and I could see that with my own two eyes.

It was coins and (at least) two plastic chairs thrown as well so it wasn't just plastic cups, which wouldn't go very far unless there's alcohol in them and wasting alcohol like that would be a bigger crime in my book then the rule britannia mentality that you (very accurately) describe above.

The problem West Ham have is now is a PR one, every game is going to be a potential flashpoint and the media/twitter will lap it up so they have to be seen to do something. The fact they allowed that one Chelsea gobsh1te to get onto the seat covering between the two sets of fans and didn't pull him down until he came back near one of the stewards on the Chelsea side shows how much they still need to improve on.

Banning 200 people is a start but realistically, if anything happens at the Stoke game Saturday week, they will be under enormous pressure to do something else.

heppies View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heppies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 3:06pm
Have sky selected the two live games for the quarter finals yet?
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 6:37pm
heppies View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heppies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 9:40am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by heppies heppies wrote:

Have sky selected the two live games for the quarter finals yet?
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11938/10635674/manchester-uniteds-efl-cup-quarter-final-with-west-ham-to-be-shown-live-on-sky-sports

Links not working mate.
heppies View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heppies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 3:31pm
This is gonna a be the Carabao Cup next season.
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2016 at 7:30am
Liverpool v Leeds Utd is the live game on SS1 tonight 19.45 ko.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2016 at 3:45pm
Are Liverpool putting a full strength side out tonight? Leeds are 50/1 to win 1 0 with Paddy Power.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2016 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Are Liverpool putting a full strength side out tonight? Leeds are 50/1 to win 1 0 with Paddy Power.

Likely to be a fair number of changes from Saturday but the players coming in are likely to be the likes of Lucas, Origi, Klavan etc with a few young lads mixed in. Trying to take off my red hat for one second, I#d be hard pushed to back Leeds tonight - Now just go and watch them win !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 16>
  Share Topic