You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UEFA Europa League 2016/17

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 15>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 12:22pm
Rostov are extremely underestimated, they led the Russian League all season until the final 6 weeks or something, their version of Leicester it almost was.

Utd should be too strong for them over 2 legs however.

Edited by coyne - 24 Feb 2017 at 12:22pm
Sponsored Links

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 12:24pm
Would say so, Good draw in a sense for Utd with Roma and Lyon and Gladbach and Schalke getting each other 2 of their main competitors  for the trophy will be out
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 12:33pm
Genk V Gent

Ouch
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

3 Belgian teams in the last 16, what the Belgian FA have done should be an inspiration for the FAI to follow.
40 odd years of success in Europe from a league with an average attendance that will be the same as the total attendance in Ireland tonight? I know we should be setting our targets high but that is a bizarre statement.
alihau41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alihau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

3 Belgian teams in the last 16, what the Belgian FA have done should be an inspiration for the FAI to follow.
40 odd years of success in Europe from a league with an average attendance that will be the same as the total attendance in Ireland tonight? I know we should be setting our targets high but that is a bizarre statement.

not necessarily a bad point, just not fully accurate. it's not down to the Belgian FA, rather it's down to their government. in the early 00s, their government decided to start putting significantly more funding into two sports - football and hockey. now both of their mens national teams are in the top 5 in their respective rankings. it isn't a model that the irish government are going to follow, but perhaps they can learn from the fact that more funding can actually have a greater impact at a national level in the coming generations...
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by alihau41 alihau41 wrote:

not necessarily a bad point, just not fully accurate. it's not down to the Belgian FA, rather it's down to their government. in the early 00s, their government decided to start putting significantly more funding into two sports - football and hockey. now both of their mens national teams are in the top 5 in their respective rankings. it isn't a model that the irish government are going to follow, but perhaps they can learn from the fact that more funding can actually have a greater impact at a national level in the coming generations...
Very well, but trying to compare clubs from the two countries is madness. They have 7th vs 8th in their league meeting in the later stages of Europe, Genk sold a player to the EPL for 15 million, both teams regularly get attendances around 20k. Both sides are also full of overseas talent so the government investment is only a small part of it.
It is all light years from where Irish clubs are. Cork City just signed a lad who struggled at Welling United ffs.
ccfcmurphy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccfcmurphy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 1:28pm

Very well, but trying to compare clubs from the two countries is madness. They have 7th vs 8th in their league meeting in the later stages of Europe, Genk sold a player to the EPL for 15 million, both teams regularly get attendances around 20k. Both sides are also full of overseas talent so the government investment is only a small part of it.
It is all light years from where Irish clubs are. Cork City just signed a lad who struggled at Welling United ffs.

Leon Bailey also went to Bayer Leverkusen for 20 million
There's no point being the richest man in the graveyard
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by ccfcmurphy ccfcmurphy wrote:

Leon Bailey also went to Bayer Leverkusen for 20 million
I forget about him, after he scoring against City and all.
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 2:20pm

I meant more in terms of an effort been made to re-structure and improve the game throughout the country. I'm not saying the achievements of Belgian clubs are attainable for our just that we should be looking at changes they have made that have improved the fortunes of their domestic team and senior team while producing some great players in the process. I also didn't know they were receiving government backing as was pointed out.

A lot of the Belgian fans I see posting online are giving their playoff system a lot of credit for improved performances in Europe for example. 
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 3:51pm
Probably more attainable for us to look at the systems Iceland put in place.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 4:01pm
The other thing about Belgium is the governments policy and attitude to immigration. Belgium has been very proactive in welcoming people to work and live there for many years and benefitted greatly by developing footballers form the children of immigrants - Sciffo, Mpenza, Lukaku, Bendteke, that curly headed fella who scored against us in Bordeaux etc. etc.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 6:12pm

I meant more in terms of an effort been made to re-structure and improve the game throughout the country. I'm not saying the achievements of Belgian clubs are attainable for our just that we should be looking at changes they have made that have improved the fortunes of their domestic team and senior team while producing some great players in the process. I also didn't know they were receiving government backing as was pointed out.

A lot of the Belgian fans I see posting online are giving their playoff system a lot of credit for improved performances in Europe for example. 
I would imagine that we should be looking at how Denmark, a country of similar size to ourselves, turned the fortunes of their league around or , as was mentioned, how Iceland have managed to improve their coaching and infrastructure to punch far above their weight.
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

The other thing about Belgium is the governments policy and attitude to immigration. Belgium has been very proactive in welcoming people to work and live there for many years and benefitted greatly by developing footballers form the children of immigrants - Sciffo, Mpenza, Lukaku, Bendteke, that curly headed fella who scored against us in Bordeaux etc. etc.

Definitely. The league here is crying out for a bit of variety in terms of coaching and players.
Out of the 12 PD clubs this year, there`s one foreign manager and that's Robertson at Rovers. He`s English so he`s hardly coming from a different football culture.
Now obviously people will point out that Dundalk`s success was built on an Irish manager and a group of Irish players but a bit of foreign influence would only be a good thing.
The league is all the poorer without players of the calibre of Jo Ndo, Mbabazi and Boco.
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by Bitored Bitored wrote:

Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Definitely. The league here is crying out for a bit of variety in terms of coaching and players.
Out of the 12 PD clubs this year, there`s one foreign manager and that's Robertson at Rovers. He`s English so he`s hardly coming from a different football culture.
Now obviously people will point out that Dundalk`s success was built on an Irish manager and a group of Irish players but a bit of foreign influence would only be a good thing.
The league is all the poorer without players of the calibre of Jo Ndo, Mbabazi and Boco.
Funny how Boco looked so good in the LOI, have seen him playing in league two a couple of times and he has looked very ordinary. Maybe it was his exoticism that made him stand out more.

Edited by pre Madonna - 24 Feb 2017 at 7:17pm
UCDFAN View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UCDFAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 2:38pm
Russia league has been back for the last two weekends.   FK Krasnodar had a good start 2-2 at home v. Spartak and a comeback 2-1 away v. Lokomotiva (Moscow) without Russia league leading scoring Fyodor Smolov.

Krasnodar took care of Athletic Club Bilbao Fenerbahce and have a greater challenge 1-2 down v Celta de Vigo. 
The Bulls - быки Bylki - have had a great spring but will need all their southern guile to overcome Celta

FK Krasnodar Match report Lokomotiva 1:2 Krasnodar

Edited by UCDFAN - 15 Mar 2017 at 2:46pm
www.ucdsupporters.ie
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 10:02pm
I can't believe BMG threw away the tie, I fancied them to win it out.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 10:14pm

I can't believe BMG threw away the tie, I fancied them to win it out.

Thought they had a real shot at winning it out myself if not at least making the final. Disastrous result. Wouldn't fancy schalke to go much further. In terms of odds, there's no value in United. I'd say Celta are an interesting one now depending on the draw.
BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 10:25pm
Schalke got a lucky bounce for their first goal. 2nd was an extremely harsh peno.
They won't win it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 15>
  Share Topic