You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Declan Rice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5556575859 306>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Cousins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 11:34am
Start putting time and effort into producing our own players, and forget about begging people with very tenuous connections to Ireland to play for us.
Sponsored Links

aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 11:34am
see o Neill saying this morning that he always got the feeling that grealish dad was pro England where rice dad wants him to play for us.dad has his Irish jerseys up on the wall in family house. I say gold and then pricks have the young lad head melted with money and promises of world cups, all on the back of England best world cup campaign in years.
 He 19 give him a bit of time.I not going to start shouting off at him just yet till he makes his decision.mcclean and the likes just need to stay out of  it For the moment.For what it worth I think he stay with us

Also whoever it was that was trying to compare players moving from the north to us is talking rubbish. All Irish men on the one island. 

ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 11:45am
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

more respect for Grealish at least he didn’t accept a call up, kiss the badge and also say he definitely wasn’t going to switch.

Not sure if anyone reads the secret footballer books? Dave kitson was Callum o’dowdas agent and tried to make him reject a call up for Ireland as 5 caps for England is worth more than 50 for Ireland in terms of being able to command better contracts and endorsements etc. O’dowdas dad was having none of i

Agreed. Makes Grealish look very good in comparison
Agents!  AngryAngryAngry
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 11:45am
I don't buy the "he's only 19" nonsense. Any interview I've seen with him, he comes across as far more mature, intelligent and articulate than a lot of players older than him. 

Yesterday's announcement would not have been made lightly. It was very calculated on the players/advisors behalf. Once again, there's this idea that Rice only found out yesterday that he could play for England. 

The announcement (knowingly on Rice's behalf) was the start of his transition away.

FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 11:50am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

I think people seem to be stuck on the deliberation side of this story. 

Rice's deliberation didn't start 5 minutes after O'Neill named his team yesterday. He (and his family/advisors) knew way in advance and knew the backlash that awaited. 

He's made his decision. For PR purposes he's not going to be a complete cold bastard and tell the Irish public "thanks but England have come in and how can I say no?..."  Of course he'll make it seem like a Sophie's choice, but in the end (after months of deliberating) I can't turn down an opportunity to play for my country of birth, etc, etc

Here's what it boils down to. If he seriously wanted to continue with Ireland his mind would've been made up even before England came calling. 

The fact that yesterday happened at all, says that he's called it a day in the Ireland jersey.

Agreed
Yep, agree with all that.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 11:53am
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/5866523/declan-rice-west-ham-ireland-voice-turkey/

But Rice said: “When your country comes calling and you get a chance to put on that green shirt, you’re going to jump at it.

Edited by horsebox - 28 Aug 2018 at 11:54am
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

Also whoever it was that was trying to compare players moving from the north to us is talking rubbish. All Irish men on the one island. 

It's not rubbish to people who work the N.I. sides, who may have nourished that talent through their underage set ups (just as we did with Rice and Grealish) only to see them move away to the other 'Irish' team whenever we came calling.

In regards to Rice's decision. It has pretty much always been this way.  Many of the anglo stars of the Charlton era were not on England's (or other countries) radar and had they been we would likely have never have seen them in a green shirt. There have been countless players that have played for England down the years that were dual qualified.

Kevin Sheedy's dad saw that he was never on Welsh radar.  Horsebox's comments above may give some hope that Rice might stay with us.

We are not in the position of ever turning down great talent.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by Stoked Up Stoked Up wrote:

It's not rubbish to people who work the N.I. sides, who may have nourished that talent through their underage set ups (just as we did with Rice and Grealish) only to see them move away to the other 'Irish' team whenever we came calling.

In regards to Rice's decision. It has pretty much always been this way.  Many of the anglo stars of the Charlton era were not on England's (or other countries) radar and had they been we would likely have never have seen them in a green shirt. There have been countless players that have played for England down the years that were dual qualified.

Kevin Sheedy's dad saw that he was never on Welsh radar.  Horsebox's comments above may give some hope that Rice might stay with us.

f**k NI and their coaches. They deserve everything they get. Irish men can play for Ireland, and if a load of jumped up little Brits want to get annoyed over it then even better. 
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 12:38pm
All I can think if is Rice Rice baby, that f**king sh*te ad song for Mueller Rice Angry Angry Angry
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

All I can think if is Rice Rice baby, that f**king sh*te ad song for Mueller Rice Angry Angry Angry
Is it vanilla rice?
mandrake View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Originally posted by Stoked Up Stoked Up wrote:

f**k NI and their coaches. They deserve everything they get. Irish men can play for Ireland, and if a load of jumped up little Brits want to get annoyed over it then even better. 

well said horsebox...
Come on Irelind
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Question:  Why would you earn more money as an England player than an Ireland player?

How does this get you a bigger wage?

Quote In Access All Areas, a 2015 book by The Secret Footballer, the author speaks to a contact in Nike about a player deliberating over choosing to represent England or Ireland at international level. “If he plays once for England he’ll make a million quid from us as a minimum; if he plays a hundred times for Ireland, we’re not interested, I’m afraid,” the contact says.

The author, who is the agent of the player in question, adds.

He shouldn’t play for Ireland. He is too good. I explain this to the kid and the dad, and tell them that my plan is to use Ireland to flush out England, for whom the boy really wants to play. I think that’s fair to Ireland. To England. And to the kid. Let him make his choice when he sees what choices there are.
“I explain that my friend, an old coach of mine, heads up talent for England, and it will only take one phone call. I haven’t made that call yet because the kid really needs to have played more games for his team rather than the 10 or so he has under his belt. However, our hand has now been forced, so I’ll make the call. In the meantime, I’ll tell Ireland, ‘Thanks, but no thanks.’ ‘But,’ says the dad, ‘Ireland are on the table today.’”

Ken Early alludes to this also mentioning Harry Maguire
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 12:51pm

Originally posted by inlikeflynn inlikeflynn wrote:

I’ve got a cousin who grew up, went to school in S****horpe. His mother, my aunt is from S****horpe. My uncle, my dad’s brother, is Irish.

This lad has been in NZ for ten years. I haven’t seen him in ages. But I met up with him before the World Cup and he started talking about the English in the WC as ‘we’. I couldn’t believe it. I asked him about it and he’s on the fence. But it’s easy for me, who didn’t grow up in England, to confer nationality on him. 

Same with Rice. Everyone’s nationality is personal to them and nobody can decide it except himself. 

That's all grand and fully understandable. However, I would implore your cousin not to play any senior games for Ireland unless he has made his mind up definitively over who he wants to represent long term. 

Gary Breen on OTB last night mentioned the Gallen brothers in which 2 of the chose us, while Kevin chose England, which just goes to show how complex the dual heritage situation is. Especially when you consider that Rice is one generation removed from the likes of Kilbane and Breen, who have been so passionate about their Irish heritage that there was only ever one option for them.

HOWEVER, don't play in 3 senior internationals (potentially taking caps away from other players), state your pride in playing for the country, sing the national anthem, and kiss the badge after a late winner for the U-21's, and say you need time to think about it. 

It seems like he's being very badly advised by his new agent and the West Ham board, which all arise from the financial gains that can be made from playing for England.

19 or not, he should come out with a statement about the situation.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Icy Bread People View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icy Bread People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 12:59pm
I could never really see how anyone born and raised in England would have any kind of connection with Ireland to begin with. His parents aren't even Irish, it's a Grandparent link. So if England is a realistic offer, you'd expect him to go with them. Maybe Southgate told him he'd involve him in a squad, which would send his value through the roof and maybe even get him linked with top clubs. Plus I'm sure he was supporting England during the World Cup, where they did so well.

Ireland on the other hand have no great players right now, hence all of us losing our sh*t over a 19 year old that was benched by West Ham the other day. 

I would just worry he doesn't get many or any caps for England, but then again maybe international football doesn't mean so much to modern footballers.
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Originally posted by inlikeflynn inlikeflynn wrote:

I’ve got a cousin who grew up, went to school in S****horpe. His mother, my aunt is from S****horpe. My uncle, my dad’s brother, is Irish.

This lad has been in NZ for ten years. I haven’t seen him in ages. But I met up with him before the World Cup and he started talking about the English in the WC as ‘we’. I couldn’t believe it. I asked him about it and he’s on the fence. But it’s easy for me, who didn’t grow up in England, to confer nationality on him. 

Same with Rice. Everyone’s nationality is personal to them and nobody can decide it except himself. 

That's all grand and fully understandable. However, I would implore your cousin not to play any senior games for Ireland unless he has made his mind up definitively over who he wants to represent long term. 

Gary Breen on OTB last night mentioned the Gallen brothers in which 2 of the chose us, while Kevin chose England, which just goes to show how complex the dual heritage situation is. Especially when you consider that Rice is one generation removed from the likes of Kilbane and Breen, who have been so passionate about their Irish heritage that there was only ever one option for them.

HOWEVER, don't play in 3 senior internationals (potentially taking caps away from other players), state your pride in playing for the country, sing the national anthem, and kiss the badge after a late winner for the U-21's, and say you need time to think about it. 

It seems like he's being very badly advised by his new agent and the West Ham board, which all arise from the financial gains that can be made from playing for England.

19 or not, he should come out with a statement about the situation.
That's the problem with all this. Don't blame England, we've done enough of it ourselves, but this sh*t is what's making the whole thing worse and harder to stomach
Some people just deserve a slap
irish_major View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Bookie Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_major Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 1:22pm
Duff finds it difficult to see Rice lining out for Ireland again and he empathises with the teenager's position.

"At the end of the day, he’s English. He was born in England," he added.

"If I put myself in his shoes, I had my first few underage caps for England because I wasn’t spotted by Ireland and then Ireland come calling, I’m swimming back to Ireland because it is in my blood.

"He may have been convincing himself he is Irish for the last few years."

Awful tripe by duff

Here we go again
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 1:27pm
For f**k sake will these lads just keep their pie holes shut for the moment. It's not helping 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
LO SCIENZIATO View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Fucknut Of The Year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LO SCIENZIATO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by irish_major irish_major wrote:

Duff finds it difficult to see Rice lining out for Ireland again and he empathises with the teenager's position.

"At the end of the day, he’s English. He was born in England," he added.

"If I put myself in his shoes, I had my first few underage caps for England because I wasn’t spotted by Ireland and then Ireland come calling, I’m swimming back to Ireland because it is in my blood.

"He may have been convincing himself he is Irish for the last few years."

Awful tripe by duff

jaysus Dead

some of these ex/current players are cult heroes to some on here but the tripe they are spewing since this came out is a beyond a joke LOL 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5556575859 306>
  Share Topic