You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Declan Rice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5455565758 306>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 10:02am
Have England got a squad announcement coming? Wonder will he be named in it...
Some people just deserve a slap
Sponsored Links

irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 10:04am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Originally posted by inlikeflynn inlikeflynn wrote:

That has happened in the past. I’ll probably be proven wrong, but I think that the team which beat England in 88 had more English born players than Irish. Or more British born maybe. 
McCarthy
Morris
Hughton
Galvin
Houghton
Aldridge

Paul McGrath and David O leary also Born in England  Not sure if they played that day though. 
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
Fanny MaGee View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fanny MaGee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 10:07am
Originally posted by Croftman Croftman wrote:

Doubt it. If he decides to switch it'll take months for the clearance to go through.
Ask MaGee
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 10:09am
Originally posted by Fanny MaGee Fanny MaGee wrote:

Doubt it. If he decides to switch it'll take months for the clearance to go through.
What clearance will he need? Honest question
Some people just deserve a slap
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 10:11am
I think it's fair enough comment to feel like McLean should just stay out of it. It's another headline, another story for media to run with "Current international slams Rice" all that stupid nonsense. Just stay off your phone and focus on your football ffs. MON had his say and was respectful. Leave it at that, you've football to focus on.

Rice's head has definitely been turned and with Gold's latest tweet it's obvious where it's all come from. Sickening 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 10:11am

Originally posted by Fanny MaGee Fanny MaGee wrote:

What clearance will he need? Honest question
From FIFA. It certainly isn't instantaneous.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 10:16am
I think the bigger issue with Rice is just how far he has gone with the Irish setup. Between being a permanent fixture in the Under 21s and picking up three caps at senior level, it is a different situation to Grealish and Kelly.

However, I think if all three were available and playing for Ireland, it would make a noticeable difference.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 10:19am
Kilbane and McClean need to shut the f**k up for the moment. I ain't exactly happy with the scenario at the moment but we're not in a position to be tellling players with good potential  to f**k off 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
skylarking View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skylarking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 10:22am
Very disappointed with this development, however, the whole Granny rule/eligibility can be a blessing and a curse. I really think it's awful to target Declan though - you don't know what has motivated him, his real feelings etc. I'll admit it's a bit odd having seen him kiss the badge etc, but I don't know the lad personally or what has gone on behind the scenes. Not a big fan of McClean nominating himself as spokesman again, hardly going to help. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 10:24am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Kilbane and McClean need to shut the f**k up for the moment. I ain't exactly happy with the scenario at the moment but we're not in a position to be tellling players with good potential  to f**k off 

Even though I feel Rice has gone so far already, I agree with this. Especially as it’s difficult to judge Rice’s mindset given his heritage.
skylarking View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skylarking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 10:25am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

+1 Particularly McClean, at least it's Kilbane's job to give his opinion

Edited by skylarking - 28 Aug 2018 at 10:26am
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 11:02am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

If he continues to be omitted from the West Ham side, he then may realize that the grass is not greener...

He may opt for England but never play for England.

I'm starting to think his head being turned by this is what has led him to being dropped from the side. Given the absolute state of West Ham's defending over the last couple of games it can hardly be for footballing reasons.
inlikeflynn View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inlikeflynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 11:04am
I’ve got a cousin who grew up, went to school in S****horpe. His mother, my aunt is from S****horpe. My uncle, my dad’s brother, is Irish.

This lad has been in NZ for ten years. I haven’t seen him in ages. But I met up with him before the World Cup and he started talking about the English in the WC as ‘we’. I couldn’t believe it. I asked him about it and he’s on the fence. But it’s easy for me, who didn’t grow up in England, to confer nationality on him. 

Same with Rice. Everyone’s nationality is personal to them and nobody can decide it except himself. 
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

more respect for Grealish at least he didn’t accept a call up, kiss the badge and also say he definitely wasn’t going to switch.

Not sure if anyone reads the secret footballer books? Dave kitson was Callum o’dowdas agent and tried to make him reject a call up for Ireland as 5 caps for England is worth more than 50 for Ireland in terms of being able to command better contracts and endorsements etc. O’dowdas dad was having none of i

Agreed. Makes Grealish look very good in comparison
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 11:13am
Originally posted by inlikeflynn inlikeflynn wrote:

I’ve got a cousin who grew up, went to school in S****horpe. His mother, my aunt is from S****horpe. My uncle, my dad’s brother, is Irish.

This lad has been in NZ for ten years. I haven’t seen him in ages. But I met up with him before the World Cup and he started talking about the English in the WC as ‘we’. I couldn’t believe it. I asked him about it and he’s on the fence. But it’s easy for me, who didn’t grow up in England, to confer nationality on him. 

Same with Rice. Everyone’s nationality is personal to them and nobody can decide it except himself. 

That's all grand and fully understandable. However, I would implore your cousin not to play any senior games for Ireland unless he has made his mind up definitively over who he wants to represent long term. 
El Puto Amo
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 11:29am
I think people seem to be stuck on the deliberation side of this story. 

Rice's deliberation didn't start 5 minutes after O'Neill named his team yesterday. He (and his family/advisors) knew way in advance and knew the backlash that awaited. 

He's made his decision. For PR purposes he's not going to be a complete cold bastard and tell the Irish public "thanks but England have come in and how can I say no?..."  Of course he'll make it seem like a Sophie's choice, but in the end (after months of deliberating) I can't turn down an opportunity to play for my country of birth, etc, etc

Here's what it boils down to. If he seriously wanted to continue with Ireland his mind would've been made up even before England came calling. 

The fact that yesterday happened at all, says that he's called it a day in the Ireland jersey.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 11:30am
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

I think people seem to be stuck on the deliberation side of this story. 

Rice's deliberation didn't start 5 minutes after O'Neill named his team yesterday. He (and his family/advisors) knew way in advance and knew the backlash that awaited. 

He's made his decision. For PR purposes he's not going to be a complete cold bastard and tell the Irish public "thanks but England have come in and how can I say no?..."  Of course he'll make it seem like a Sophie's choice, but in the end (after months of deliberating) I can't turn down an opportunity to play for my country of birth, etc, etc

Here's what it boils down to. If he seriously wanted to continue with Ireland his mind would've been made up even before England came calling. 

The fact that yesterday happened at all, says that he's called it a day in the Ireland jersey.

Agreed
El Puto Amo
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 11:32am
Not necessarily, it looks as though his father wants him to play for Ireland, and WH might be putting pressure on him to play for England.

His agent might also be in his ear too.

I still believe there is a good chance he will play for Ireland.

Edited by horsebox - 28 Aug 2018 at 11:33am
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5455565758 306>
  Share Topic