You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Declan Rice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5152535455 306>
Author
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote royal rover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 10:08pm
I find this worse than the grealish saga to take tbh, firstly as season ticket holder for a number of years and secondly he has used us for his own gain, whether he got a new agent or not is irrelevant to me, his age is irrelevant, the board and wilshere and noble should also be deemed irrelevant  he made this call when he played against Turkey, kissing the badge etc, there is no financial gain in international football directly, he owes us a serious apology as fans if he chooses England, if I was the fai I would feel very used ,more so because even when Duffy  mcclean   and Gibson were involved with the North at whatever stage they didn't come out kissing the badge and basically saying he would stick with us, those of you that go too games should be very angry, ultimately he has taken somebody else's place, and I will never forgive him for that, if this was Scotland or Wales they simply wouldn't want him, some of you on this are somewhat sympathetic towards him, he has potential no doubtin that, but I don't ever want him near the squad, he has taken it a step further than grealish and anyone else I can remember, let him go now 
royal rover
Sponsored Links

zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 10:12pm
Gold is some shyster. Low balling Rice with contract offers all summer and now proclaiming him the next Bobby Moore. I think we have our answer to what happend 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
gazurtoids View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by The Tribesman The Tribesman wrote:

You would have to wonder with England's pursuit of Rice and Grealish, are they actually getting virtually as desperate as us to get players through!Smile

Think it's just a case of like the big Premiership clubs sweeping up all the available young talent.....they've all got dozens and dozens of players out on loan (Chelsea in particular) who I don't believe will ever have a future at those clubs....Rice could switch to England there's no going back and never get a full cap .....tho tbf I thought the same of Grealish at the time, but his rate of progression the past couple years says he will eventually
valo88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valo88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by belt belt wrote:

Is there any other similar situations in international football? Where a player has been capped by a country, is still wanted by that country but has chosen to play for another country 

Diego Costa prob the most notable playing for Brazil then Switching to Spain over the summer months.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 10:13pm
Can people please stop comparing Rice's predicament to Irish men such as McClean, Duffy and Gibson playing for Ireland.

It's a completely different situation, although England is at the root of both. 
Given's zimmerframe View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 10:14pm
He owes 3 caps to some young lad desperate to play for us, robáil solas la.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

SuperDave, I don’t often disagree with you but I do in this instance. I think your points might be valid if Rice hadn’t actually accepted the previous call ups and taken the 3 caps. We were preparing for competitive games and we were doing so with him being in our minds as a probable starter. He’s taken another lads place and exploited us for his own gain. 

First of all, it's quite possible that seeing the World Cup, and how England did, has had an effect. That is certainly understandable. Secondly, in friendlies, he always knew it wasn't 100% final. Now, you might call that selfish but, again, without being in his position, it is hard to know exactly how and when he changed his mind. It's not even clear when or how Southgate approached him, but I doubt it was in the lead up to the World Cup.

In my mind, once he took the first cap then his decision should have been made. End of. I know the rules don’t support that argument but he should have had the decency to take a step back if he wasn’t sure that Ireland was his team before that first senior appearance. I’m embarrassed to say that I’m actually raging about this. 
El Puto Amo
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 10:17pm
fair play to skillban for his honesty and passion
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 10:23pm

Is there any other similar situations in international football? Where a player has been capped by a country, is still wanted by that country but has chosen to play for another country 

Don't think any of have as many as three caps. Thiago Motta got 2 for Brazil before he jumped and played for Italy. Not an honorable move but Brazil didn't want him at that stage and he hadn't played for them in 8 years.

Edited by grannyrule - 27 Aug 2018 at 10:23pm
The only way is up
Scamper View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 10:26pm
ClapClap
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Originally posted by Liam Green Liam Green wrote:

I’m finding this even more disgusting that the Grealish saga.. hard to believe Rice has stooped even lower that Grealish.. it’s an absolute joke and so underhanded it’s hard to believe 

Did you register just to come on and post that?! He is still a kid. He is also in a very difficult position. It's one that is very hard to appreciate from the outside. He was born and brought up in England. He has received most of his football education in England. However, he knows he has Irish heritage and has played underage for Ireland for years. That said, it's his grandparents who are Irish, not his parents. That is definitely relevant. It clearly has to have some impact on how he feels as to his nationality. I know his father was obviously proud but every father will be proud of their son playing international football. Rice may have played for Ireland underage because England didn't want him. He might have played for them because of parental influence. It's possible that he accepted the call ups from Ireland as a kid without really thinking about his national identity. It's a very real possibility that he has never truly considered his national identity and now wants to consider it properly. Maybe he considers himself more English than Irish and is now afraid of the long term consequences of nailing his colours to the mast.

Plus, you'd imagine he has grown up supporting England as well as Ireland. You'd imagine he looked on this summer and saw England reaching the semi finals and thinking he could be part of something like that. There's no doubt that England have realistic chances of winning international tournaments. Frankly, as a kid, who didn't run through the park and dream that the goals they were scoring were in the World Cup final? It's hard to overstate the impact something like England's performance in the World Cup could have had.

I don't necessarily buy into this being an anti-O'Neill decision. Rice may look at the football in Ireland and not like it. However, there are multiple reasons for it. Rice might look and think that it is simply a matter of resources. Ireland do not have the same population as England. They don't have the same calibre of player coming through. Certainly, they don't have as many. Rice may be one of them but there's no shame in not wanting to be a big fish in a small pond. There's certainly an argument that if he chose Ireland, it would belie a lack of ambition.

This is all leaving aside the potential for extra money over the course of his career. It is not really disputed that it is financially better to play for England. It's not even about transfer fees or wages. It goes way, way further than that. Any long running England international can make money off that fact even long after they've retired. Gareth Southgate made money off his missed penalty, and he's far from the only one who made money from international failure. It is simply a higher profile position in a bigger country. Gary Linekar, too, is a lot more famous because of his international exploits and parlayed that into a successful media career.

There are a load of reasons for Rice to consider that playing for England might be the right choice for him. It might be the right choice for him because he sees himself as genuinely more English than Irish. It might be the right choice for him because he wants the best chance at international success. It might be the right choice for him short and long term financial reasons.

I think each of those considerations are valid for a player in his position. The fact is, once he makes the decision now, he is stuck with it. If he chooses England, he's stuck with England. If he plays in a competitive game for Ireland, he's stuck with Ireland. The moment of reckoning has arrived. He's still only nineteen years of age. I don't envy his decision and I certainly won't criticise him for delaying it for a few months. I hope we see him in an Ireland shirt for the Euro 2020 qualifiers. If we don't, however, it will be disappointing - but I won't castigate him for deciding to play for England. It's a truly difficult decision. Without being in his position, I think it is difficult to appreciate everything he has to consider.

Clap Excellent post Dave
====#Everywhere you play, We'll Follow====
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 10:31pm
Neil Fewings is Rice's new agent according to the West Ham board. Anyone know anything about him?
The only way is up
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 10:36pm
Reckon David Gold and WHU have stumped up more cash for his contract provided he declares for England. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I'd definitely agree with Carlton Coles comments though.

Thought I was seeing things LOL
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 10:41pm
what about all Declan’s interviews over the last twelve months,where he said among other things so much positive and believable stuff like he had no Choice to make between ireland and England  ...singing the anthem and kissing the badge ... and now this today..it is hard to take but it will be interesting to hear what he has to say himself.. maybe he will stay with Ireland  
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 10:52pm
more respect for Grealish at least he didn’t accept a call up, kiss the badge and also say he definitely wasn’t going to switch.

Not sure if anyone reads the secret footballer books? Dave kitson was Callum o’dowdas agent and tried to make him reject a call up for Ireland as 5 caps for England is worth more than 50 for Ireland in terms of being able to command better contracts and endorsements etc. O’dowdas dad was having none of i

Edited by Citizen - 27 Aug 2018 at 10:53pm
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

Don't think any of have as many as three caps. Thiago Motta got 2 for Brazil before he jumped and played for Italy. Not an honorable move but Brazil didn't want him at that stage and he hadn't played for them in 8 years.

It's nearly unprecedented for a player to be capped a few times at senior level and then reveal a few weeks later he's thinking about switching allegiance. Previous cases have involved a player falling out of favour with the first country or drifting out of the squad. It would be one thing if Rice had last played 18 months ago but it looks bad on him that he was playing for us only a few weeks ago.

500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 10:59pm
https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/0827/987962-mcclean-blasts-rice-decision-to-decide-on-future/

Im with mclean and killer on this, playing for Ireland is not a difficult decision. If we tolerate this half arsed commitment we will lose our strongest trait.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 11:01pm
McClean weighing into this story really isn’t going to help the situation. Just can’t help himself it seems
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5152535455 306>
  Share Topic