Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Declan Rice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 291292293294295 306>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by gazurtoids gazurtoids wrote:

Originally posted by The White Cafu The White Cafu wrote:

Michael Keane has come out with big comments about his time with the Ireland underage setup today saying he never felt Irish and he admitted using Ireland as a stepping stone for England.

It might be the truth but why come out with those comments? It all stinks of a big PR twist by The FA's PR team

And we're considering entertaining his brother who's no doubt in the same mindset.....difference being his career went the opposite way
Really? I have come across plenty lads in England who have brothers who see themselves as different nationalities, loads of them Irish. That is a ridiculously sweeping statement.
Sponsored Links

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

I'm sure his brother who just declared for Ireland is delighted with those comments.
In the 90s, Kevin Gallen (QPR) infamously refused a call up and declared for England even though both his brothers played for the Eire.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 12:41pm
Wayne Rooney's brother also expressed his interest in playing for Ireland once too I seem to remember.
There's a correlation developing here. The inferior brother loves the EIRE
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Wayne Rooney's brother also expressed his interest in playing for Ireland once too I seem to remember.

So basically we are the priesthood of international football. LOL
gazurtoids View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Michael Keane has come out with big comments about his time with the Ireland underage setup today saying he never felt Irish and he admitted using Ireland as a stepping stone for England.

It might be the truth but why come out with those comments? It all stinks of a big PR twist by The FA's PR team

And we're considering entertaining his brother who's no doubt in the same mindset.....difference being his career went the opposite way

Really? I have come across plenty lads in England who have brothers who see themselves as different nationalities, loads of them Irish. That is a ridiculously sweeping statement.

Really, yes....there's been open minded and there's been obtuse

at the time his brother was 'using Ireland as a stepping stone' in his own words, he was playing underage for England......you don't think they ever had a 'conversation' ?

Edited by gazurtoids - 21 Mar 2019 at 12:46pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 12:47pm

at the time his brother was 'using Ireland as a steeping stone' in his own words, he was playing underage for England......you don't think they ever had a 'conversation' ?
And that would be completely ruling out that people can feel both. Like most of the posts on this thread, you are viewing nationality through your own eyes only.

Flanno7hi View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flanno7hi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

John Rooney is an absolute ****. He's have used us a stepping stone in a second if he was good enough to play at a decent level.
Our City. Our Community. Our Club
IG @flanno_7hi
The White Cafu View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The White Cafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 12:50pm
Kevin Prince Boateng turned down Germany after coming through their youth setup to declare for Ghana, came up against Jerome in a WC quarter final aswell I think, bit of a change to the trend. 
mandrake View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 12:55pm

yeah but his brother I crap, if he was any good he wouldn't be declaring for us....we have better irish born players,,, this starting to piss me off... if the players who aren't committed 'english' aren't much better than irish born then they aint worth following....
Come on Irelind
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by mandrake mandrake wrote:

yeah but his brother I crap, if he was any good he wouldn't be declaring for us....we have better irish born players,,, this starting to piss me off... if the players who aren't committed 'english' aren't much better than irish born then they aint worth following....
His ability isn't relevant to the debate, nor is where he is born. When two players have similar abilities nobody should be checking their birth certificates. He wants to play for us, if he is deemed good enough he will be picked.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 1:23pm

at the time his brother was 'using Ireland as a steeping stone' in his own words, he was playing underage for England......you don't think they ever had a 'conversation' ?

And that would be completely ruling out that people can feel both. Like most of the posts on this thread, you are viewing nationality through your own eyes only.

This Nationality issue has taken on a different meaning as regards footballers, I'm sure it's always been the case with players thinking they're too good for this or that so I'll go with the other and vice versa .....but it's become much more high profile in recent times .......in some cases it's all too obvious and with the Keane brothers this is obviously the case

Edited by gazurtoids - 21 Mar 2019 at 1:24pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 1:48pm

This Nationality issue has taken on a different meaning as regards footballers, I'm sure it's always been the case with players thinking they're too good for this or that so I'll go with the other and vice versa .....but it's become much more high profile in recent times .......in some cases it's all too obvious and with the Keane brothers this is obviously the case
It isn't obvious at all. When a person has two (or more)nationalities they are more likely to lean towards one over the other. How strongly they lean to one side  can only really be known by the individual themselves; in this case it is quite probable that both Keane brothers would have chosen in England if it was a straight choice, but it wasn't. That doesn't mean that Keane can't play for Ireland or doesn't feel anything towards us. He can't be responsible for the naivety of his brother. Those comments were really only disrespectful to his family.
I don't think the FAI should be begging or chasing players either, but if a player is eligible and good enough he should be called up and take it from there.  This wailing and gnashing of teeth that players aren't Irish enough by fans is silly. The bottom line is if they are eligible they are Irish enough, after that we are in the realms of thought-crime.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 1:55pm

It isn't obvious at all. When a person has two (or more)nationalities they are more likely to lean towards one over the other. How strongly they lean to one side  can only really be known by the individual themselves; in this case it is quite probable that both Keane brothers would have chosen in England if it was a straight choice, but it wasn't. That doesn't mean that Keane can't play for Ireland or doesn't feel anything towards us. He can't be responsible for the naivety of his brother. Those comments were really only disrespectful to his family.
I don't think the FAI should be begging or chasing players either, but if a player is eligible and good enough he should be called up and take it from there.  This wailing and gnashing of teeth that players aren't Irish enough by fans is silly. The bottom line is if they are eligible they are Irish enough, after that we are in the realms of thought-crime.

I'm not buying it, it's all too convenient

course the flipside could be said we're all guilty, if Nathan Redmond decided tomorrow he wanted to play for Ireland there wouldn't be too many dissenters, hay ho
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 2:01pm
What's convenient? I don't understand that.
mandrake View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 2:25pm

Originally posted by mandrake mandrake wrote:

His ability isn't relevant to the debate, nor is where he is born. When two players have similar abilities nobody should be checking their birth certificates. He wants to play for us, if he is deemed good enough he will be picked.

I think the ability is the key if he was good he wouldn't play for us,, come on... its time we all woke up...and good enough to be picked,, bottom of championship … I don't know is he much better than say aiden o brien .. so if they have similar abilities i'd say nah don't bother coming over
Come on Irelind
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 2:43pm
See above.
johnvonp View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnvonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 3:51pm
Instagram comments which show Declan writing "UP THE RA" have resurfaced. He has been redeemed.
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by johnvonp johnvonp wrote:

Instagram comments which show Declan writing "UP THE RA" have resurfaced. He has been redeemed.

That'll go down well at West Ham
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 291292293294295 306>
  Share Topic