Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Declan Rice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 290291292293294 306>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 11:01am
Would there be as strong a reaction if he had changed to Scotland (assuming he qualified)?
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 11:02am
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

There is also an element of him playing up to the England fans, which seems unnecessary, but that's how modern football works.

There's a lot a frothing-at-the-mouth Brexiteer types who are not at all impressed with Declan's distasteful and unfortunate past association to 'the Eire'. I'd imagine he's attempting to pander to this crowd and, as pointed out above, there also appears to be a clear, unified message from the England camp to downplay this association with us as well.
Is there? I don't think there is. There will be an element, but I certainly don't think it is something England would be bothered about. Sure, they will be trying to sell a unified team as a 'brand' after the World Cup, but most people won't be bothered about his connections with Ireland. There will be an element  put out that he played for another country, but not overly bothered which one. Which is why it is being addressed here. They will certainly want to send out a united message and front, but I think you are projecting your own views on English fans and the FA if you think it is to do with anti-Irish sentiment.
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 11:05am
Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Time to move on lads. 
Totally.
I moved on the day he deserted.
Sit back and wait for karma.
But But But you assured all in sundry on here he was going nowhere, ye fcknut LOL
Sorry pal but Deco lied to me, he even lied to his Da.

I'll never speak to him again.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 11:11am

Is there? I don't think there is. There will be an element, but I certainly don't think it is something England would be bothered about. Sure, they will be trying to sell a unified team as a 'brand' after the World Cup, but most people won't be bothered about his connections with Ireland. There will be an element  put out that he played for another country, but not overly bothered which one. Which is why it is being addressed here. They will certainly want to send out a united message and front, but I think you are projecting your own views on English fans and the FA if you think it is to do with anti-Irish sentiment.

I was a little surprised by it also as, like that, I would have just assumed they wouldn't really care. But I've seen a good few comments now around the place moaning about the fact he played for us. Now, some of those people may have purely had an issue with the fact he played for another country, but the jist of them seems to be the same - as in "He played for Ireland so he can f-off' etc. Whether that's specifically anti-Irish sentiment or just 'anti-switching' sentiment, I'm don't know. The point is though that he is currently not popular with a section of their support so we can expect a good bit of promotion highlighting how English he actually is, downplaying his past connection to Ireland etc.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 11:21am
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

I was a little surprised by it also as, like that, I would have just assumed they wouldn't really care. But I've seen a good few comments now around the place moaning about the fact he played for us. Now, some of those people may have purely had an issue with the fact he played for another country, but the jist of them seems to be the same - as in "He played for Ireland so he can f-off' etc. Whether that's specifically anti-Irish sentiment or just 'anti-switching' sentiment, I'm don't know. The point is though that he is currently not popular with a section of their support so we can expect a good bit of promotion highlighting how English he actually is, downplaying his past connection to Ireland etc.
Is your opinion based on those  who comment on articles on the internet? I wouldn't be using them as a yardstick for anything.
It is to be expected that if a player joins an international set-up that that country will want to show how committed he is, when he has previously been selected by another country, at any level, that commitment will be highlighted more. 
As someone who normally likes to look for a deeper meaning in things, I wouldn't bother with this one too much.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 11:25am
Love it when some European Club sides come up with banners at short notice which don't explicitly say what they are trying to say but leave you in no doubt. Would be impossible to organise at short notice but could you imagine seeing something in 114 next week saying that something along the lines of us being better off without mercenaries etc !
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 1:21pm

Time to move on lads. 
Totally.

Would that be Karma Chameleon ? - just like Rice........they come and go, they come and go...
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Time to move on lads. 
Totally.

Would that be Karma Chameleon ? - just like Rice........they come and go, they come and go...
He is a man without conviction
a man who doesn't know
how to sell a contradiction
you come and go
you come and go

Loving would be easy if your loving was like my dream
red, gold and green

didn't hear your wicked words every day
you used to be so sweet I heard you say

The song could have been written about the situation!
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 1:39pm

Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Time to move on lads. 
Totally.

He is a man without conviction
a man who doesn't know
how to sell a contradiction
you come and go
you come and go

Loving would be easy if your loving was like my dream
red, gold and green

didn't hear your wicked words every day
you used to be so sweet I heard you say

The song could have been written about the situation!
Half a pound of tuppeny rice
Half a pound of grealish
That's the way the money goes
Pop! Go the weasels.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 1:48pm
Terii Terrii Territorial
he comes and trolls
he comes and trolls
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Terii Terrii Territorial
he comes and trolls
he comes and trolls
LOL

He is much better when he uses asterisks, pictures and a wink smiley face. 
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 2:09pm

Terii Terrii Territorial
he comes and trolls
he comes and trolls
LOLLOLLOL
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 3:43pm

Terii Terrii Territorial
he comes and trolls
he comes and trolls

LOL
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
The White Cafu View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The White Cafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 11:37am
Michael Keane has come out with big comments about his time with the Ireland underage setup today saying he never felt Irish and he admitted using Ireland as a stepping stone for England.

It might be the truth but why come out with those comments? It all stinks of a big PR twist by The FA's PR team
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 11:41am
It is only their own families they are insulting, I wouldn’t be too worried about them.
The White Cafu View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The White Cafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 11:45am
Originally posted by The White Cafu The White Cafu wrote:

Michael Keane has come out with big comments about his time with the Ireland underage setup today saying he never felt Irish and he admitted using Ireland as a stepping stone for England.

It might be the truth but why come out with those comments? It all stinks of a big PR twist by The FA's PR team

Meanwhile in the FAI PRO's office:

FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 12:04pm
I'm sure his brother who just declared for Ireland is delighted with those comments.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
gazurtoids View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by The White Cafu The White Cafu wrote:

And we're considering entertaining his brother who's no doubt in the same mindset.....difference being his career went the opposite way
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 290291292293294 306>
  Share Topic