You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Declan Rice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 209210211212213 306>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The White Cafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 8:02pm
I actually think he will declare for us. Wouldnt pay attention to any “In the know” people or reports, the same way I didn’t to any other reports or journalists claiming to know he will declare for Ireland or England. 

Gary Mc will Prevail.
Sponsored Links

Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

There's something a bit weird about certain posters desire to be able to say "I told you so" if Rice declares for England. Why take pleasure from something that hurts the team you support, it's just bizarre.

Sure we could all go and support the three lions tomorrow if we wanted but it’s not about that. I don’t want English players at heart playing for us. Time to f**k off and stop disrespecting the Irish jersey by turning down call ups.
irish_major View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Bookie Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_major Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 8:11pm
Very easy to say he's definitely gone and then turn around if he does declare and say 'late change of heart' or 'pleasantly surprised'. Nobody will give a sh*t if you were wrong so it's the obvious tactic for the journos to go with. 
For all that it does look like he's gone but, he'd need to be doing it soon one would think. The longer it drags you'd assume the better for us. Fingers crossed but I'm sceptical. 
Here we go again
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

There's something a bit weird about certain posters desire to be able to say "I told you so" if Rice declares for England. Why take pleasure from something that hurts the team you support, it's just bizarre.

Personally I wouldn't take any pleasure in seeing any player defecting from Ireland at any level, be it a youngster of 15 or a real up and coming senior player like Rice.

I will say 2 things though.

1 - the moment Rice pulled out of the squad months ago, this situation was over. I'm not in the know and have never claimed to be. It's just common sense. It would be absolutely bizarre if Rice didn't switch over now. Imo his mind was 100 percent made up months ago. Has there ever been a scenario like this where the player refused to turn up for months for a country, had the opportunity to switch, but decided to stay after a of that? It would be extraordinary if he's an Irish player in 2019.

2 - personally I have a massive issue with a player refusing to turn up when called up to the squad. I seem to be in a tiny minority on this thought process. If MON was still manager, I would have no bother at all in backing him if he was of the opinion that even though Rice has decided to get back on board, he won't be selecting him for the foreseeable future. The fact that there's new management may make it easier as there's the sense of a clean slate for everyone, but again I would have no issue with management taking their time turning to players who have refused call ups for no other reason than to think about their future. 

Just on this. This is simply not true. What other teenager has had a massive rise from a nobody to a lad being a serious talent. Yes I know people knew about him but you know what I mean. 

So his head was clearly turned. Personally I think if he was gone we would know already. He got a bumper new contract based on the fact they rate him obviously but more so that he could be an English 100 million player. He clearly benefitted from his international future being up in the air. 

Ireland gave him international football. Ireland called him up. England didn't. Mick made some very good points. He asked Gareth where he sees him playing and he said CB. Mick wants to play him CM. Mick also asked Gareth why he didn't pick him when he was involved in the underage set up. He won't play CB for the them, not a hope. 

I think has done very well here to be honest and is probably one of a handful that could have got him back on board. He was loyal to West Ham and I think he will stick with us. 

Edited by kearney304 - 12 Jan 2019 at 8:15pm
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 8:25pm
I don't think any of that proves my post to be incorrect Kearney. I simply asked was there a single situation that people are aware of, where a player refused a call up to a country after already being involved and capped a few times, took time to consider his options (which always means he's moving on), and then a few months later says he's decided to stay with his original country. It would be absolutely bizarre if it happened that Rice did all of this, and then turns around and says he's staying with Ireland.

I have not heard of a single scenario where such a thing has happened. Has anyone here?

"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

And you are 100% sure of that Ger? 100%?

Not enough to publish.

Edited by The GerK - 12 Jan 2019 at 8:27pm
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 8:27pm
Emphatic to the last...
We're decent enough..
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Originally posted by The GerK The GerK wrote:

Originally posted by howieb howieb wrote:

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Paddy Power odds are not indicative on anything in this situation. 

Fairly sure this market falls under the term ‘novelty betting’. 

I've been betting a long time and it's rear paddy gets it wrong with odds like that 

PP have nothing to lose with those odds, so why not?  More importantly as far as actual likelihoods are concerned would be "what are the odds that Rice will declare for Ireland?".

If PP are willing to shed out a lot of cash on that eventuality, I fear we are in trouble. 

These novelty markets are just for publicity - That's what stakes are extremely limited and why when there are a number of bets in a short space of time, the markets get pulled and then reinstated with drastically amended odds. 

No one has a clue what his decision is going to be until he releases a statement . I think everyone is presuming England because they have bigger name players and are more than likely going to be more successful than us in tournaments . Come on Declan surprise us all . 

I really don't get how so many keep saying that no one has an idea what his decision will be until he releases a statement. 

Declan Rice released the most important statement he ever could as regards us a few months ago, when he made himself unavailable for numerous squads selections when fit. Why is this, by far the most important fact in this whole scenario, so willingly overlooked time and time again.

Exactly.  And the wait is just damage limitation.

He will be an England player very soon 

I personally believe he will play for England. 

But why aren't the Indo running with that story if that's the information you have? 

The UK media has gone very quiet too.

I think at this stage you would want to be absolutely certain. 
I would be 80-90 per cent sure.
If I am wrong, I will be happy
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 8:36pm

Who is taking pleasure in anything.  This is a football forum where fans discuss their thoughts on Ireland.
There is no shortage of fans saying he is staying or going. 
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Be a shame if he ditches The EIRE as he seems like a likeable kid and down to earth and seems to genuinely love playing football. I also think he has great affinity for Ireland but not sure if he sees himself as Irish.  I don't believe he is a mercenary.  I got the feeling Grealish never gave a toss about The EIRE where as I think Rice does.  I just don't think he thought he would ever get a chance to play for England and happily chose us thinking England would never come along. However his career is progressing far better than he ever expected and now opportunities are coming up for him and he has a decision to make that he never thought he would have. 

I wouldn't hate him if he chose England.  I'd be very disappointed.  I'm sure his dad's family would be too.  I don't think its an easy decision for him but think he will choose England.

Thank you for the well balanced analysis. I have to agree with it. Regrettably i think you are correct that he will choose England.

The difficulty is without an announcement we have hope. The hope is the killer..
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 8:38pm

I don't think any of that proves my post to be incorrect Kearney. I simply asked was there a single situation that people are aware of, where a player refused a call up to a country after already being involved and capped a few times, took time to consider his options (which always means he's moving on), and then a few months later says he's decided to stay with his original country. It would be absolutely bizarre if it happened that Rice did all of this, and then turns around and says he's staying with Ireland.

I have not heard of a single scenario where such a thing has happened. Has anyone here?

I have no issue with your post. This is a very unique situation. You have a talented kid because it doesn't matter how level headed he is, he is still a kid and of course the chairman speaking out, references to Bobby Moore, his contract situation and Gareth ringing him has turned his head. He has cemented down a place in the West Ham team, got his new contract and now he will confirm his international intentions. Refusing a call may be what it is written as but it was simply a young man asking for time to sort his sh*t out and clear his head. I see nothing at all wrong with this and actually find it very mature. Look if he switches over then my post is bollocks but I believe he will stick with us. 

Seems like a good kid and I think he will have a savage career. West Ham have 5 years with him max and he will be playing CL football. It could be a huge turning point for us if he stays with us. Would be a fantastic boost for Mick and the FAI. 
Lansdown Roar View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lansdown Roar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 8:38pm

I've been betting a long time and it's rear paddy gets it wrong with odds like that 

PP have nothing to lose with those odds, so why not?  More importantly as far as actual likelihoods are concerned would be "what are the odds that Rice will declare for Ireland?".

If PP are willing to shed out a lot of cash on that eventuality, I fear we are in trouble. 

These novelty markets are just for publicity - That's what stakes are extremely limited and why when there are a number of bets in a short space of time, the markets get pulled and then reinstated with drastically amended odds. 

No one has a clue what his decision is going to be until he releases a statement . I think everyone is presuming England because they have bigger name players and are more than likely going to be more successful than us in tournaments . Come on Declan surprise us all . 

I really don't get how so many keep saying that no one has an idea what his decision will be until he releases a statement. 

Declan Rice released the most important statement he ever could as regards us a few months ago, when he made himself unavailable for numerous squads selections when fit. Why is this, by far the most important fact in this whole scenario, so willingly overlooked time and time again.

But why aren't the Indo running with that story if that's the information you have? 

With all due respect i think you're talking out your hole.

How many times has the Indo switched sides here.

Can't take any credibility with what you're saying. I'm not saying that personally more the paper you work for.
They've only gone and done it
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by Lansdown Roar Lansdown Roar wrote:

Can't take any credibility with what you're saying. I'm not saying that personally more the paper you work for.

I don't think the Indo has once went all in for either side. 
The only people to do so so far have been Sky, Ian Murtagh in the Star in England and Emmett Malone in the Times.
Reporting news like FAI confident after meeting is not the Indo saying he will choose Ireland.
Not once has the Indo definitively said he will choose England or Ireland.
The closest was John Fallon alluding England recently.

Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 9:05pm

The only people to do so so far have been Sky, Ian Murtagh in the Star in England and Emmett Malone in the Times.
Reporting news like FAI confident after meeting is not the Indo saying he will choose Ireland.

The English media have been a bit of joke through all of this, closely followed by our own media.

If at this stage it is imminent that he is to declare for England then surely there are sources close to English journalists who might be now be talking? 

Considering that the likes of the Sun, Star and Sky Sports have splashed absolute nonsense throughout this saga it seems very weird that they're saying nothing at the moment, especially when it seems that the info you have is coming from the across the Irish Sea.

If your source is based in Ireland then refute this entire post. 

But wouldn't an English source be running his mouth to British papers / journalists before Irish ones? 

I suppose tomorrow's Sunday papers might hint at whats going on.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

I have no issue with your post. This is a very unique situation. You have a talented kid because it doesn't matter how level headed he is, he is still a kid and of course the chairman speaking out, references to Bobby Moore, his contract situation and Gareth ringing him has turned his head. He has cemented down a place in the West Ham team, got his new contract and now he will confirm his international intentions. Refusing a call may be what it is written as but it was simply a young man asking for time to sort his sh*t out and clear his head. I see nothing at all wrong with this and actually find it very mature. Look if he switches over then my post is bollocks but I believe he will stick with us. 

Seems like a good kid and I think he will have a savage career. West Ham have 5 years with him max and he will be playing CL football. It could be a huge turning point for us if he stays with us. Would be a fantastic boost for Mick and the FAI. 
[/QUOTE]

The funny thing is if he decided to stay with Ireland, it wouldn't even be a big news story in England, just a 24 hour wonder. They could hardly claim he is "the one who got away" given that he has been capped at all levels by Ireland, including three senior appearances.
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 9:16pm

The English media have been a bit of joke through all of this, closely followed by our own media.

If at this stage it is imminent that he is to declare for England then surely there are sources close to English journalists who might be now be talking? 

Considering that the likes of the Sun, Star and Sky Sports have splashed absolute nonsense throughout this saga it seems very weird that they're saying nothing at the moment, especially when it seems that the info you have is coming from the across the Irish Sea.

If your source is based in Ireland then refute this entire post. 

But wouldn't an English source be running his mouth to British papers / journalists before Irish ones? 

I suppose tomorrow's Sunday papers might hint at whats going on.

I genuinely don't think the reporting has been that bad. It's just that it has one on so long so there has been so many stories with little news in them. Just small updates but they still have to be reported. 

The Rice camp have kept a lid on this very well. 
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Everyone has their own take on this situation and that's all good.

A couple of things though I would say. Plenty have said this on here and you've just said it about Rice, and that is him being a kid. Fair enough, he is a young enough lad, and some are more mature than others. He's nearly 20 though. He's not a kid. He is very much an adult at this point. 

Secondly, the amount of this that and the other spoken on here is something else. We know bits and pieces of what has definitely gone on the past few months, he met Mick etc. waiting on new contract etc. - and we all interpret these bits of info as we see fit then. It genuinely baffles me though, how many people think that his refusal to be called up and tie him down seems to be played down as a major part in this whole saga. For me it's the beginning, the middle and the end of the saga. I am unaware of a single situation ever that has played out like Rices, and after such a refusal the player has gone back to continue playing with the country he was originally capped for. It would be absolutely bizarre and unheard of. Everything that has happened after his refusal to be called up months ago (it feels like decades ago) has been fluff. Nothing but inconsequential fluff.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 9:20pm
Can posters not quote properly ?

Do you to copy the whole conversation ?
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 209210211212213 306>
  Share Topic