You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Declan Rice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 280281282283284 306>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by PanteirA PanteirA wrote:

Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Anyone get a copy of those stories? Agent must have moved quickly, they've been taken down from the sun and the mail.

Only quotes I can find are these from another site reporting the deleted story

"Disappointed dad Sean told pals: “I’m very Irish, my mum and dad were very Irish and Declan grew up in an Irish/English environment as a lot of people from London do.

“And so at the end of the day he had to make a choice and I have to support my son.

“I wouldn’t have thought for 100 years he’d run out in an England shirt but he’s got his reasons."

The father only has himself to blame. He should have taken Declan to one of these Irish centre's where big church going GAA heads would have bate the Englishness out of him.

LOL LOL LOL
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Sponsored Links

Jimbhoy View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 3:56pm
I'm surprised that nobody within the Irish or English press have questioned Gareth Southgate's views on what he genuinely thinks about players playing for countries that they were not born in, and how comfortable he is that a "proud Englishman" like Rice took 3 senior Ireland caps. In his 2004 book Woody & Nord (Southgate's nickname at Palace) Southgate is on holiday with Andy Woodman and Woodman's wife when they start talking about Eddie McGoldrick, who had recently been called up by Ireland for the 94 World Cup, despite being born in England They ask Southgate if he has any Irish blood, and Southgate takes exception to the thought that he would even consider playing for a country other than England. At this stage in his career, Southgate was miles off playing for England (I know this as I'm a Palace fan who he was playing for at the time) and Woodman and his wife don't believe that Southgate would not jump at the chance of playing in a World Cup finals, and start laughing at how annoyed he is with their suggestion. Southgate becomes really irritated that they think he would even contemplate playing for another country, and states that he just doesn't understand why an Englishman can even consider a call up from another country.

Fast forward 25 years later, and it seems Southgate has no problem with actively chasing Rice, Luca Connell and Tom Cairney despite them choosing to play for Ireland and Scotland previously, something he is on record as saying he would never consider himself. Why has no journalist even mentioned this during the Declan Rice saga? The Woody & Nord book was nominated for the William Hill sports book of the year in 2004 so it's not as if this book is unheard of. If Southgate is faced with a decision between picking Henderson, Winks or Rice for one defensive midfield position, does he pick a player who has only ever played for England, or does he pick a player who didn't think he was good enough for England until a promising 6 months in a West Ham shirt?

The statement that Rice's PR person released last week also seems to be a work of fiction now with his Dad coming out and saying that he wanted Rice to remain with Ireland. I thought you had the support of all of your family Declan?
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by PanteirA PanteirA wrote:

The father only has himself to blame. He should have taken Declan to one of these Irish centre's where big church going GAA heads would have bate the Englishness out of him.
Sure when Roy Keane couldn't manage it, what hope was there for anyone else? LOL
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 2:36pm
I was listening to a radio interview with Pat Nevin on the subject of Declan Rice the other day.

He was broadly sympathetic to him, mentioning his own experience.

Apparently he was brought up in a strong Irish family eg christened "Patrick Kevin Francis Michael Nevin"; holidayed in Ireland as a kid; proud of his roots; (Scottish-born) father delighted when ROI beat Scotland in Glasgow in a qualifier, even though his son was in the Scotland XI etc

And if ever asked/good enough, all five of his siblings would have chosen ROI over Scotland "in a heartbeat".

Yet when his Da put it to him when it came to Pat to decide, he never even thought of choosing ROI, it was Scotland (only) for him.

Jimbhoy View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 3:54pm
Nevin spoke about the Scotland v Ireland game at Hampden in 1987 in an Off The Ball programme in Glasgow with Ray Houghton. He said his Dad met him after the game with a big smile on his face after being in the Ireland end during the game, despite the fact that his son was playing for Scotland. Declan Rice's Dad sounds like he would do something similar.

Anti Irish sentiment is still much more prevalent in the West of Scotland today than in England, where the days of "no blacks, no dogs, no Irish" are thankfully a thing of the past. I can totally understand why McGeady and McCarthy chose to play for Ireland having been ignored by Scotland at junior levels.

Nevin wouldn't have got in our team in 1987.The team we put out that night is possibly our strongest ever line up. Houghton was much better than Nevin and they played in the same position.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

I was listening to a radio interview with Pat Nevin on the subject of Declan Rice the other day.

Apparently he was brought up in a strong Irish family eg christened "Patrick Kevin Francis Michael Nevin"; holidayed in Ireland as a kid; proud of his roots; (Scottish-born) father delighted when ROI beat Scotland in Glasgow in a qualifier, even though his son was in the Scotland XI etc

And if ever asked/good enough, all five of his siblings would have chosen ROI over Scotland "in a heartbeat".

Yet when his Da put it to him when it came to Pat to decide, he never even thought of choosing ROI, it was Scotland (only) for him.

Heard that podcast too. What Nevin neglected to mention was DR having played 3 games at senior level and umpteen games at underage level for the old sod. So Nevin's situation is not a true comparison. Alan Kernaghan on the other hand.........
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 5:37pm
Pat Nevin is a soup taking asswipe
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by tonyjaa tonyjaa wrote:

You're blaming him for preferring Scotch Broth, then?

Or maybe it's this...

Former Scotland international Pat Nevin has told MSPs he was “driven away” from the football club he loved after hearing sectarian chants from Celtic fans when he was at Parkhead with his young son. He also revealed the “intimidation” he felt after being targeted by the club and its fans when he criticised their chanting live on air at this season’s Scottish cup final.

Nevin, now a media pundit, told MSPs he had grown up in the east end of Glasgow, where the club is based, and was part of the area’s Irish catholic Diaspora. “I supported Celtic for most of my life,” he said. “But one day, I found myself sitting in the stand with my son, who had started to take an interest in football, hearing the song Ooh ah, up the RA. “I could not accept bringing up my son alongside that, so I was driven away from the club that I loved. I was very disappointed about that.”

Nevin was commentating for the BBC at this year’s cup final between Celtic and Dundee United when he provoked the ire of the club when he hit out at a section of their fans over their chants. He told MSPs: “The song went something like, ‘As a young man, I’m going to join the IRA – provisional wing’. “It offended me and I do not want to hear it at a football ground. “I was shocked and surprised that Celtic Football Club and a great number of fans complained to the BBC, because I expect to hear them say that they do not want to hear that sort of song at their ground.”

Read more at: https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/celtic-fans-ira-chants-drove-me-away-from-the-club-i-love-says-nevin-1-1830310

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Heard that podcast too. What Nevin neglected to mention was DR having played 3 games at senior level and umpteen games at underage level for the old sod. So Nevin's situation is not a true comparison. Alan Kernaghan on the other hand.........
What was the podcast?
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 6:17pm
Steve Clarke was abused by the huns last night with sectarian chanting.  Told the reporters sarcastically ''its great to be back in Scotland.''  Also said ''thank God Chelsea took me away from west Scotland''. ''Thankfully my kids never had to put up with this crap as they grew up in London''.

Terry what is the point in digging up this sh*te?  

Shock horror there is chanting on both sides.  Who would have thought.

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

What was the podcast?
Here:
(1 min 50 secs in)
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Terry what is the point in digging up this sh*te?   
I didn't "drag up" any sh*te.

If you look back through the thread, you'll see I brought up Pat Nevin, in the context of his comments on Declan Rice. Nevin's comments and mine were both relevant to the thread and wholly unexceptional, with no ordure whatever.

Then out of the blue, sorry, green and white, good old Tony flew in with:
"Pat Nevin is a soup taking asswipe"

Intrigued as to why Nevin should provoke such a reaction, I went to his Wiki page, where I saw the offending article which I quoted.

Meanwhile, you'll find it was others who dragged up Clarke, Boyd and the rest.

But heyho, if in doubt, blame the Partick Thistle* fan... Wink

* - I'm not really, but if you held a gun to my head and made me pick a Scottish football team... Wink

Edited by Territorial - 21 Feb 2019 at 8:33pm
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 9:24pm

What was the podcast?
Last Fridays BBC world service World Football pod. Tomorrow's pod, Nevin is on about sectarianism in Scottish football.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 9:27pm

Originally posted by tonyjaa tonyjaa wrote:

You're blaming him for preferring Scotch Broth, then?

Or maybe it's this...

Former Scotland international Pat Nevin has told MSPs he was “driven away” from the football club he loved after hearing sectarian chants from Celtic fans when he was at Parkhead with his young son. He also revealed the “intimidation” he felt after being targeted by the club and its fans when he criticised their chanting live on air at this season’s Scottish cup final.

Nevin, now a media pundit, told MSPs he had grown up in the east end of Glasgow, where the club is based, and was part of the area’s Irish catholic Diaspora. “I supported Celtic for most of my life,” he said. “But one day, I found myself sitting in the stand with my son, who had started to take an interest in football, hearing the song Ooh ah, up the RA. “I could not accept bringing up my son alongside that, so I was driven away from the club that I loved. I was very disappointed about that.”

Nevin was commentating for the BBC at this year’s cup final between Celtic and Dundee United when he provoked the ire of the club when he hit out at a section of their fans over their chants. He told MSPs: “The song went something like, ‘As a young man, I’m going to join the IRA – provisional wing’. “It offended me and I do not want to hear it at a football ground. “I was shocked and surprised that Celtic Football Club and a great number of fans complained to the BBC, because I expect to hear them say that they do not want to hear that sort of song at their ground.”

Read more at: https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/celtic-fans-ira-chants-drove-me-away-from-the-club-i-love-says-nevin-1-1830310

And Nevin now follows hibs, club with worst hooligan mob in Scotland.Smile
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 10:26pm

What was the podcast?
Last Fridays BBC world service World Football pod. Tomorrow's pod, Nevin is on about sectarianism in Scottish football.
Just had a listen, cheers. 
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 11:54pm
Life is full of contraductions anomalies etc.

Its like trying to explain to a provo RA Celtic head that you are a Protestant Republican and see how confused they get.

Life is great.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 9:58am

What was the podcast?

If it's about sectarianism is it called a prodcast?
The dark side.. And the light
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 11:13am
LOL
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 280281282283284 306>
  Share Topic