You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Declan Rice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 207208209210211 306>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by howieb howieb wrote:

Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Paddy Power odds are not indicative on anything in this situation. 

Fairly sure this market falls under the term ‘novelty betting’. 

I've been betting a long time and it's rear paddy gets it wrong with odds like that 

These odds can literally go up and down on the basis of someone wagering 10-20 euro.

A few weeks ago Rice was odds on to play for Ireland, then England, then Ireland and now England again.

Whether he plays for England or Ireland, Paddy Power or your average joe punter has nothing to do with it.

Anyone betting on this market needs to have their head examined.
Sponsored Links

Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Pace is hugely important for a CB. If you have little or no pace as a CB, your team set up and tactics are extremely limited. Especially if you are playing for sides who like to be on the front foot, like England would. Or Man City, who he was recently linked with.

Is he really that slow?
Would Harry McGuire have any pace carrying that head?

Surely positioning and reading of the game is more important.

No I don't think he's that slow. He isn't very fast either though from what I've seen of him. You would definitely get more exposed as a CB for pace in a "bigger" side imo. He could be so good back there that his positioning will make it all look easy anyway.

Either way, he's already showing that he has most of the attributes needed to be a top level CM. 
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 4:24pm
He's slow, he lacks strength, and he's useless in the air. A centre-back he is not. Central midfield is blatently his best position, it suits the attributes he does have.
We're decent enough..
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

These odds can literally go up and down on the basis of someone wagering 10-20 euro.

A few weeks ago Rice was odds on to play for Ireland, then England, then Ireland and now England again.

Whether he plays for England or Ireland, Paddy Power or your average joe punter has nothing to do with it.

Anyone betting on this market needs to have their head examined.

Yes, it's only a novelty football market. You might as well be betting on Mick McCarthy having a Christmas No.1 or something. I wouldn't pay any attention to the odds.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 4:33pm
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Howdo View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

The Hindu Times saying Declan is Irish.  He won't like that.

What’s a Hindu?
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 4:56pm
Borussia, fair enough re PP market.  If it's limited stakes, then they are just doing it for publicity and entertainment reasons and not looking to make money off of it, so not to be taken seriously.

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

He's slow, he lacks strength, and he's useless in the air. A centre-back he is not. Central midfield is blatently his best position, it suits the attributes he does have.

Bizarre post. Even if this was sarcastic it wouldn't make sense.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 5:15pm

It's not sarcastic, he is slow, he is lightweight, and he isn't good in the air. His strengths are his composure on the ball and his passing, which make him better suited to midfield than defence.
We're decent enough..
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by howieb howieb wrote:

Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

He's not quick enough to play for a top 6 team as a defender so it's a strange decision from Southgate to say he sees him as a defender, especially as he's starting to establish himself as a very good holding midfielder.

Took his goal very well, and used the ball well throughout the game. It'll be a sickener to lose him when he makes the seemingly inevitable decision to defect.

Make no mistake he will play for a top 6 team. He's 19 and he's a regular starter for a prem league team. How many 19 year olds can you name starting every week in the premier league.  He's going to be a top player . 

I didn't say he wouldn't.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 5:25pm

It's not sarcastic, he is slow, he is lightweight, and he isn't good in the air. His strengths are his composure on the ball and his passing, which make him better suited to midfield than defence.

He is very composed and a very decent  passer of the ball, I'd agree.

I definitely wouldn't say he's quick, but not sure how slow he is either.

As for his strength and ability in the air, I could be going mad, but he's always looked very strong to me and quite decent in the air. I'm not sure where you get he's lightweight from? 
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

He's not quick enough to play for a top 6 team as a defender so it's a strange decision from Southgate to say he sees him as a defender, especially as he's starting to establish himself as a very good holding midfielder.

Took his goal very well, and used the ball well throughout the game. It'll be a sickener to lose him when he makes the seemingly inevitable decision to defect.

Strange comment. 

John Terry wasn't the quickest either  who never needed to rely on pace and he was one of the best centre backs in the last 20 years in England. Steve Bruce to a lesser degree wasn't blessed with pace either. Their positional sense and physical strength would be far more a critical factor than how quick they are for that position imo. 

He was also well protected by the tactics his managers used during his time at Chelsea. Any time a manager tried to change the way Chelsea played, his lack of pace was horribly exposed. Mustafi for Arsenal is a prime example of it.

Seeing Iwobi burn past Rice earlier, despite starting 5 yards behind him makes me think Rice could suffer if asked to play a high line as a CB. Mourinho aside, I don't see any other top 6 managers advocating sitting on the edge of their own box. His best position is definitely as a holding midfielder IMO.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Green rebel View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green rebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 5:26pm
maybe I'm being to optimistic,but does anyone else think that if he was going to declare for England, why didn't he mention it in the interview he gave to the london paper last week,surely that was a golden opportunity to declare his interest  in playing for England in the English press ,he would have known well in advance that the interview was coming up and would surely have dropped some hints he was switching if his mind was made up,fingers crossed there's still a future with Ireland.

Edited by Green rebel - 12 Jan 2019 at 5:27pm
royal rover View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote royal rover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 5:40pm
It would be disrespectful to do that, still think there are lots of possibilities of him sticking with us, even though those on here with inside knowledge say otherwise, was chatting to a nordie fan today who mentioned duffy was on the bench for the north and all nigel worthington had to do was play him and he was forever with them. not sure how true that is but we have clearly benefited from his decision, mcclean never went that far to my knowledge, the whole thing is rotten to the core at this stage, and looking at his twitter the way some Irish fans are tweeting to him makes it even worse. If it works to our advantage that would be great but if he declares for england so be it 
royal rover
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 5:42pm
Not sure where all of the unfounded negativity has come in the last few days.

I think we'll probably learn the truth next week and to be honest there is nothing to suggest right now that Rice is any closer to declaring for England than he ever has been.

The nonsense stories have died down in the UK about how he is certain to play for England and now I think everyone just needs to wait a few more days.

We've waited long enough and the end is in the sight, no point in losing the rag at this stage.

He is an absolutely brilliant player and will improve us hugely should he stick with us.

Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Originally posted by Long Shot Long Shot wrote:

Jermaine Jones played 3 friendlies for Germany before switching to the USA 

That was your typical example of a player falling out of favour with one country and then making the change. Germany had simply stopped playing him and Low stated publicly that Jones was no longer in his plans.
Why's a player moving to play for his first choice country to playing for his second choice any better than going from your second choice to your first choice? It just reflects the trajectory of your career surely? 
At least Rice will be making a choice out of 2 options rather going for option B because its the only one left available to him like Jones did?
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 6:06pm
Moderator Tools > Topic Admin > Move Topic > Rest of World > OK

Really hope it me that gets the honour.
eboue16 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote eboue16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by Howdo Howdo wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

The Hindu Times saying Declan is Irish.  He won't like that.

What’s a Hindu?

Lay eggs
"He f**ked me over and my attitude is an eye for an eye."
Roy Keane
Talking about Alf Inge Haaland tackle
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 207208209210211 306>
  Share Topic