Declan Rice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 236237238239240 306>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

I was having a gander at his Facebook profile and he's still playing in his Ireland colours (which is his profile background).

Was trying to see if there was any other Rice's making comments about the situation. And nothing.

The older cynics amongst us will class social media activity as an indicator of nothing. 

But when you see how often players use twitter and Facebook these days, I think their online activity can say a lot. 

Rice shared something about Ronan Curtis scoring for Pompey about three days ago on Twitter. Now I know they may have played together at various underage levels for quite some time and may just be mates. But surely Declan would refrain from sharing posts that may appear to make it look like he was going to play for Ireland, he’d surely be keeping quiet on social media full stop, or perhaps he is genuinely happy to see his international team mates succeeding, knowing full well he’ll be back playing with them in a few weeks. 

I know yeah,

I was looking for something and I never found anything. He does appear to be friends with a good few Irish internationals, Ryan Sweeney, Rory Hale and others. Didn't look beyond that.

I don't think this is the end of this saga.

Definitely not over IMO. There’ll be further twists & turns over the next few weeks
Sponsored Links

JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

There will be some amount of Nigerians and Poles born and growing up here declaring for their parents countries in the near future

I'm actually surprised we haven't seen many already Shodipo, Obafemi and Idah* are the only Nigerian eligible players (* not 100% if Nigerian) I can think off hand.

Have never heard of any Polish youngsters in the youth teams bar the Everton lad

Paul McGrath !!!
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

I was having a gander at his Facebook profile and he's still playing in his Ireland colours (which is his profile background).

Was trying to see if there was any other Rice's making comments about the situation. And nothing.

The older cynics amongst us will class social media activity as an indicator of nothing. 

But when you see how often players use twitter and Facebook these days, I think their online activity can say a lot. 

Rice shared something about Ronan Curtis scoring for Pompey about three days ago on Twitter. Now I know they may have played together at various underage levels for quite some time and may just be mates. But surely Declan would refrain from sharing posts that may appear to make it look like he was going to play for Ireland, he’d surely be keeping quiet on social media full stop, or perhaps he is genuinely happy to see his international team mates succeeding, knowing full well he’ll be back playing with them in a few weeks. 

I know yeah,

I was looking for something and I never found anything. He does appear to be friends with a good few Irish internationals, Ryan Sweeney, Rory Hale and others. Didn't look beyond that.

I don't think this is the end of this saga.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 1:07pm

There will be some amount of Nigerians and Poles born and growing up here declaring for their parents countries in the near future

I'm actually surprised we haven't seen many already Shodipo, Obafemi and Idah* are the only Nigerian eligible players (* not 100% if Nigerian) I can think off hand.

Have never heard of any Polish youngsters in the youth teams bar the Everton lad

Gavin Bazunu, possibly the biggest prospect of them all. 
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 1:06pm

There is a Facebook page and scouting set up dedicated to young Polish footballers in Ireland. 

I can’t for the life of me remember the name, but I’ll post it next time they share something as I have liked their page.

From the looks of things, they’ve been bringing over Polish eligible kids from Loi and schoolboy clubs to Polish league sides for trials and what not. 

Assuming that not every one of these kids will play for Poland, you’d nearly say that these lads are doing a better job of promoting underage football than the FAI! 
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 1:03pm

Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 1:01pm

Edited by Maccatacca - 30 Aug 2018 at 1:02pm
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 12:57pm

There will probably be some but you would hope that most will grow up feeling Irish and wanting to play for Ireland first and foremost as a result. 

Edited by the_walls - 30 Aug 2018 at 12:57pm
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 12:51pm
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 12:50pm

Likewise his post about loving play for Ireland is still on his Instagram page.

the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 12:49pm

Originally posted by SeanG4393 SeanG4393 wrote:

I imagine a lot of people have been in his ear over it and it's a lot of pressure. I wonder has Mark Noble has a bit of a word he waited his whole career for England to call and they never. 

I hope he doesn't go down the route of waiting for England just to boost his sponsorship and conract options like someone else not so long ago did. 

Big difference. Noble has come out and said he was asked by numerous times to play for Ireland but always felt he'd be taking someone who dreamed of playing for Ireland's place

This is his quote about it

"There are young Irish kids playing well that deserve and would appreciate an Irish cap more than I would. I played through all the age groups as a youth international (with England), went to tournaments and sang the national anthem. But obviously I’ve never got a senior cap.

So for me to turn up to play for Ireland without it having been a dream of mine, and there’s an Irish kid out there who might miss out when it’s their dream to play for Ireland. I couldn’t do that."

That's the type of attitude everyone should have when it comes to international football and fair to him.

Rice obviously considers himself more English than Irish if he is having to think about, which is fair enough, he is from England afterall! Just all the badge kissing and proclaiming how proud he was to play for Ireland is what getting under people's skin. I wouldn't want him back, even if he massively improved us. I'd rather never qualify for anything and have a squad full of lads who dreamt of playing for Ireland growing up than have players who grew up dreaming of playing for another country. As sh*te and all as they might be, they would be a true representation of Ireland. If I had the power I'd nearly be inclined to get rid of the granny rule. It might also make the FAI actually focus on developing young players in Ireland. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 12:49pm

Edited by horsebox - 30 Aug 2018 at 12:49pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 12:46pm
He's now liked O'Hara's, Duffy's and Walter's posts on Instagram in the last two days, a bit odd.

If I was guessing I'd say he had zero intention of switching until someone got in his ear about it, still think he'll play with us.
BippityBoop View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BippityBoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 12:25pm

I imagine a lot of people have been in his ear over it and it's a lot of pressure. I wonder has Mark Noble has a bit of a word he waited his whole career for England to call and they never. 

I hope he doesn't go down the route of waiting for England just to boost his sponsorship and conract options like someone else not so long ago did. 

Big difference. Noble has come out and said he was asked by numerous times to play for Ireland but always felt he'd be taking someone who dreamed of playing for Ireland's place

"There are young Irish kids playing well that deserve and would appreciate an Irish cap more than I would. I played through all the age groups as a youth international (with England), went to tournaments and sang the national anthem. But obviously I’ve never got a senior cap.

So for me to turn up to play for Ireland without it having been a dream of mine, and there’s an Irish kid out there who might miss out when it’s their dream to play for Ireland. I couldn’t do that."

I had never heard that. Fair play to Noble. You've got to appreciate his honesty.
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 12:22pm
Jamie O'Hara always said the same thing when he was young and playing for Spurs. It makes everything a lot less messy when players can be that self aware.

But Jamie then changed his mind later in his career and said he was interested. He wasn't playing at a high enough level to get a call up then though. He'd probably have had a chance now. Ouch

Edited by TonyNotJack - 30 Aug 2018 at 12:31pm
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 12:17pm
Fair play to him, very noble.

Sorry couldnt resist but seriously fair play to him.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
fochie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fochie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 12:16pm
According to Arry Red "Rice should be wary of anything that West Ham tell him"

How was the greatest footballer and one of the greatest sportsmen this country ever produced reduced to living his final years as a commentator on Capital Radio and a columnist in the down market Sunday newspaper - rejected by his club, his country, and those who should have placed him at the heart of the game?

The hypocrisy that followed his tragically premature death in 1993 sickens me. Bob’s got it all now. The old South Bank named after him at Upton Park, statues outside the ground and at Wembley Stadium. They even use his name to sell West Ham United merchandise these days. ‘Moore than a football club’ is the slogan.

When he was alive they didn’t want to know him. I saw him get slung out of there for not having a ticket.

This day I was sitting in E block, when from behind me I heard, ‘Harry.’ I turned around and it was Bobby. We were about 15 minutes into the game. ‘Fancy a cup of tea at half-time?’ I said, and he gave me the thumbs-up.

Next thing I knew, a steward was marching up the steps towards him. ‘Excuse me, Bob’ - he looked almost ashamed - ‘it’s not me, but the secretary wants to know if you’ve got a ticket.’ Bob said he hadn’t. ‘Then I’m afraid I’ve been told to ask you to leave.’ And he went.

Bobby Moore. The Bobby Moore. Thrown out of a half-empty stand at West Ham because he didn’t have a ticket. I don’t think he ever went back after that.

Edited by fochie - 30 Aug 2018 at 12:24pm
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 11:38am

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 236237238239240 306>
  Share Topic