You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Georgia - 2nd September 2017 - General Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 49>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 10:34am
Baltic i'd say.
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Sponsored Links

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 10:49am
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

Baltic i'd say.

Yep that seems to be the one, question is is the Ryanair Riga the same airport or is it Riga airport which is actually in Estonia
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 10:58am
They're not that strict on Baltic anyway LOL That's how we went there last time

You could be going in on a stretcher and they'd still let you on the plane
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 3:43pm
Sometimes its cheaper to book gatwick to tbilisi via riga with air baltic than it is to book riga to Tbilisi. Strange but true. Same applies to Amsterdam and Rome
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2016 at 12:04am
Is it possible to enter South Ossetia from Georgia or is it still only possible to enter from Russia.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2016 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Is it possible to enter South Ossetia from Georgia or is it still only possible to enter from Russia.
only from Russia and you must have permission from the south Ossetian authorities before you even make the trip.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2016 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

DFA.ie says no.
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2016 at 12:53pm
No it is so :)
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 2:19pm
So you'd need a Russki visa to get in and you can't pick those up at the border, only in advance, and only with a heap of hassle.

I just hope for all the Russian embassies' sake that the Russian government follow through with their promises and treat world cup tickets as visas and don't have tens of thousands of extra visa applications to deal with in the lead up to the tournament.
ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

So you'd need a Russki visa to get in and you can't pick those up at the border, only in advance, and only with a heap of hassle.

I just hope for all the Russian embassies' sake that the Russian government follow through with their promises and treat world cup tickets as visas and don't have tens of thousands of extra visa applications to deal with in the lead up to the tournament.

Think the agreement already been signed to say any fans attending the finals that have tickets will be allowed to visit the country for duration of the tournament. They did similar thing for the winter Olympics in sochi and seemed to work alright
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 2:43pm

I hope we are all still worried about this in a year's time.

They have the visa waiver in place for the Confederations Cup so it will surely follow.  

Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

I hope we are all still worried about this in a year's time.

They have the visa waiver in place for the Confederations Cup so it will surely follow.  

yes that will be the case
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 4:42pm
FYI. Georgia is moving to a Spring to Autumn season from this year, not sure if they do international breaks but with a few making a couple of days out of this trip and visiting places like Kutaisi and Batumni it may be worth checking out nearer the time if there are fixtures on.
irish_major View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Bookie Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_major Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 10:44am
Will be flying into Kutaisi and staying in Georgia for a week. 
Anyone have any advice on what to do for the time i'm there, was planning on maybe staying in kutaisi for 3 days then heading to tblisi. How does one travel around in Georgia?
How do I get over the language barrier? I'm assuming in kutaisi there aren't maybe english speakers?
Here we go again
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 11:38am
Originally posted by irish_major irish_major wrote:

Anyone have any advice on what to do for the time i'm there, was planning on maybe staying in kutaisi for 3 days then heading to tblisi. How does one travel around in Georgia?
How do I get over the language barrier? I'm assuming in kutaisi there aren't maybe english speakers?

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by irish_major irish_major wrote:

Good gang of us in Kutaisi on the Wednesday night and heading to Tbilisi on the Thursday, Think anymore than one night in Kutaisi are you may struggle to find it interesting as its not as lively as Batumi or Tbilisi. The Georgian sports museum is located in Kutaisi and if you have an interest in past glories of the soviet union and Georgia it might kill an hour for you. The Language barrier will be an issue take screenshots of the main phrases on google translate and save them to your phone. Just remember there are two railway stations in Kutaisi make sure you get to the right one if you plan on getting the train to Tbilisi.  Depending on what day you fly into Kutaisi it might be no harm heading to the costal resort of Batumi if you have a few days to spare or else head to Mtskheta a town located only 20km from Tbilisi.

Edited by kevincronin2000 - 05 Jan 2017 at 3:11pm
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 3:46pm
Heading to Kazbegi for a couple of days IM. A town in the mountains and close to the Russian border. Very scenic with glaciers, gorges, the caucasus mountains, famous churches/monasteries etc. Anyone with half decent fitness would be more than able for the walks.

It's 3 hours from Tbilisi in a minibus taxi (matrushka). Didube station is where you need to get to get the matrushka.

Anyone over 40 is likely to have minimal English at best. The younger folk have a good grasp of the language.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 4:30pm
Would be up for a night in Kazbegi to break up the trip.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 49>
  Share Topic