You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Georgia - 2nd September 2017 - General Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940 49>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Turns out all those political posters we saw, and the ones on the big building between Hangar and MacLarens are actually of Kaladze the former Milan defender.....i just figured it was a common name in Georgia but no, hes trying his hand at politics!

He's the prime minister !!!

Correction: Former deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Energy. He's running for mayor of Tbilisi in next months election hence the posters all over the shop. One of his promises is to make Tbilisi a green city. Not sure what the taxi drivers in their hape of sh*te cars will make of that
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Sponsored Links

colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by Tyronebhoy Tyronebhoy wrote:

Got a taxi to airport at 3am on Sunday morning for 15 Lari, threw the guy 22. Only hitch was hotel ballsing up by double booking my room on last night. I could have made issue about it but I was gonna be leaving very early on last morning anyway, so couldn't be arsed. Only regret (apart from the performance) was missing the walking tour due to massive hangover Dead

Ah jaysus I got ripped off this morning. Paid 20 lari to get to the airport. Apparently the key to taxi drivers is for you to make an offer first otherwise it's like shooting fish in a barrel to them.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 10:57pm
How tight are you. 5 lari is less than two Euro for feck sake. What are you going to do with the 5 lari anyway at the airport.
AKA pedantic kunt
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 11:01pm
Lighten up ffs
cathalb96 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cathalb96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 11:03pm
Saw some hilarious and also fairly weird stuff on the trip. I asked the receptionist in my hotel for a clean towel for a shower and she said that she couldn't find any clean ones so she gave me a dressing gown to use! A taxi man hadn't a clue were our hotel was so stopped to ask a bin man for directions. As the bin man was talking in the window a car drove up and hit him, he was startled but then carried on to talk to the taxi driver as if nothing happened
Cathal Bourke
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Lighten up ffs

AKA pedantic kunt
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by cathalb96 cathalb96 wrote:

Saw some hilarious and also fairly weird stuff on the trip. I asked the receptionist in my hotel for a clean towel for a shower and she said that she couldn't find any clean ones so she gave me a dressing gown to use! A taxi man hadn't a clue were our hotel was so stopped to ask a bin man for directions. As the bin man was talking in the window a car drove up and hit him, he was startled but then carried on to talk to the taxi driver as if nothing happened

I spent 4 full days in Tbilisi. I don't know where to start with the lunacy I witnessed.

A very good trip. Would have been a great trip had it not being for the poxy performance and result.

As it was my second time in Tbilisi I thought not a lot changed apart from there being a hell of a lot more tourists kicking about especially noticeable were the number of Russians.

Still didn't get to tick all the boxes so meself and the Mrs have decided to go back next year. Direct flights from London help.

Edited by colemanY2K - 04 Sep 2017 at 11:20pm
cathalb96 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cathalb96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 11:17pm

Originally posted by cathalb96 cathalb96 wrote:

I spent 4 full days in Tbilisi. I don't know where to start with the lunacy I witnessed

A very good trip. Would have been a great trip had it not being for the poxy performance and result.

As it was my second time in Tbilisi I thought not a lot changed apart from there being a hell of a lot more tourists kicking about especially noticeable were the number of Russians.

Still didn't get to tick all the boxes so meself and the Mrs have decided to go back next year. Direct flights from London help.

I would have love to have seen more of it. I had a full free day yesterday so went to freedom square and up the top of the hill on the cable car. Another day or two or sight seeing would've been good
Cathal Bourke
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 11:21pm
I suppose I knew it was going to be a good trip when the flight to Kutaisi was diverted to Tbilisi then the next morning I went downstairs to the lady running the guesthouse looking for water for the Mrs.

She offers me coffee and before I know it I'm drowning shots of home made chacha and eating watermelon with her...all this before 10am. Went back upstairs to the Mrs with no water and half scuttered
cathalb96 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cathalb96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 11:26pm

I suppose I knew it was going to be a good trip when the flight to Kutaisi was diverted to Tbilisi then the next morning I went downstairs to the lady running the guesthouse looking for water for the Mrs.

She offers me coffee and before I know it I'm drowning shots of home made chacha and eating watermelon with her...all this before 10am. Went back upstairs to the Mrs with no water and half scuttered

Our Luton to Kutaisi flight was great craic, we drank the plane dry and they somehow kept pulling more drink from somewhere. I asked the air host for a bottle of Jack Daniel's, he said he had none left, but then came to me with 3 bottles ten minutes later The one from Kutaisi to Berlin today was the opposite, I thought it was never going to end!
Cathal Bourke
daboi89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daboi89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 11:35pm
Good trip alright. a millions times better from the last time.. loads more tourists and locals about and all the building work on the footpaths was finished this time.

went up to azerbaijan and the russian border thursday and friday so both of them are ticket off the list

hightlight of the trip was falling asleep on the plane from milan to kutaisi and then waking up as we landed only to be told we were in Tbilisi as there was a storm in Kutaisi. they said we were refueling and had to go back to tbilisi, until everyone started shouting and balling and they let us off in tbilisi . no 4 hour bus journey from Kutaisi to Tbilisi and a 400 euro claim refund as we didnt get to our intended destination within 3 hours of taking off.
manchesterbhoy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manchesterbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 7:45am
For lads claiming compo diy don't give the claims companies 30-40%

A few taxi receipts also comes in handy if you had to stay overnight

1000 up this year on BA due to cancelled flights

Don't give the ambulance chasers the money
KILCRUISE View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KILCRUISE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 7:52am
Georgia  great trip, and some trip to the desolate wild lands down south at the Azerbaijani border at the David Gareja monastery complex. tour bus driver took wrong turn and we ended up having much longer drive , but we made our own craic on the bus, nevertheless did not get back to Tbilisi until midnight ( we left Tbilisi around 1030 that morning )

team performance was bad but hey we are still in with a shout , not over yet. Beat Serbia and it all changes.

may the road rise to meet you but make sure it does not slap you in the face
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 9:53am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by bogball88 bogball88 wrote:

Some stunning birds in Tbilisi lads. Got ripped off in the strip club

News just in.

Irish fan gets ripped off in strip club abroad

A strip club is the last place you'd expect to get ripped off.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Ourlad View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ourlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 10:49am
Lost Flag - Anyone in Tblisi come across our flag on Sat night, last seen in the Hangar bar .
Large flag with BALBRIGGAN 'OURLADS' ON TOUR
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 11:33am
Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

Originally posted by Gabrieléire Gabrieléire wrote:

Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

My Best trip yet I can easily confirm but obviously the football put a big drain on things, Tbilisi is a beautiful city and cheap as chips. Apart from the hanger bar staff trying to pull a fast one with not bringing back your change it was grand for the Hurling on Sunday. Oh and a few Mayo people getting a wee bit oversensitive over a few dubs chants coming back at them in the Hanger on Friday night relax lads LOL North Men South Men Comrades All. 

I agree IrelandFan. Great trip, great craic. Night night.

Night Night Heart

Sounds like someone got 3 points anyway Wink
OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 4:14pm
Good old Town Tiblisi, never seems to close down either... loads to do and deadly things to see

Got the impression alright some are out to take the extra bit alright, even in saying that, I found it hard to complain or get angry as I dont know how hard it is to get by there.

Both the Hangar and Mclarens were good spots to hang out. The Karaoke in Mclarens on the firday night was great craic. 

And as always hard not to have a good chat with irish fans

Wont be doing overnight flights to get to an away match again, took too long to recover and missed out doing more during the day

Wouldnt complain if We get Georgia out of the pot once again
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 4:50pm

Got done by a taxi man for 80 Lari to get us the couple of miles from Freedom Square to Betsys Hotel on arrival from the bus from Kutaisi. We were a combination of half locked and half asleep and the chancer got away with it as we had no grasp on the currency value. Gave me something to moan about anyway and I do love a good whinge so might have gotten my moneys worth in the end. 
El Puto Amo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940 49>
  Share Topic