You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Georgia - 2nd September 2017 - General Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 49>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Georgia - 2nd September 2017 - General Thread
    Posted: 11 Jul 2016 at 11:15pm
Thumbs Up
Sponsored Links

baresi41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baresi41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 4:35pm
http://www.pixte.com/1230711/15-of-the-most-unfriendliest-cities-in-the-world/

I'm sure the people of Tbilisi would agree with the number one city on this list.. LOLLOL
FRANCO BARESI: Always supporting the green brigade
PhilliyK View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Granny Grabber

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilliyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 4:55pm
Good to catch up with the legend Gocha over at eurofan again even if they somehow got revenge on us, will certainly be getting his advice for this again next year as fancy doing a few days out at the sea and seeing more than the inside of the hangar bar
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 4:58pm
Following our previous trip I heard from the grapevine that the American chick sold the hangar. I assume it and McLaren's will be the two auld haunts again for a lot of folk.

Well I hope so as I booked an apartment midway between the two pubs.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 5:01pm
Going to spend a night in Kutaisi before making my way to tiblisi for this one.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
baresi41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baresi41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 5:04pm
Batumi is where the local Georgians go to party. Turkish airlines fly there from Ataturk. I'm sure there's a train or internal flight to Tbilisi. Superdave is the man for this.  Hangar Bar is fine match day or meetup point, but not the whole trip.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 5:06pm
I've seen online there's train between batumi and Tbilisi. Takes about 5 1/2 hours iirc.

Edited by colemanY2K - 13 Jul 2016 at 5:08pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 5:09pm
Yeah, there are trains. However, you need to bring your passport to buy tickets and you'll need to book them in advance. Coming back from Gori last time, they only had a couple of tickets left and most of us had to take the bus.

It'll be grand booked a day or so in advance, I reckon. And if not, there are plenty of buses.
irish_goat View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_goat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 6:25pm
One thing I found about Tbilisi was that there was no real "centre" and bars/restaurants tended to just be scattered all over the place. There's a nice strip of places directly south of the Hanger bar, grand for food but there wasn't a wile pile of life about them for drinking. Didn't rate the Hanger bar much myself in saying that.

Just remembered today how awful the taxis are in Tblisi. No one seems to know where anywhere is and we struggled to get taximen to understand even when we presented the street names in 3 different languages and showed them on a map!  
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 6:48pm
Ya taxi drivers are brutal for directions over there and their driving leaves a lot to be desired to say the least
OscarDelta View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OscarDelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Ya taxi drivers are brutal for directions over there and their driving leaves a lot to be desired to say the least

Any chance of getting them to come to Dublin and give Taxi drivers some lessons.
greenforever View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

most drivers knew the Betsy so ok for going home at night, we used the hotel driver from the hotel all the time so no problems there

definitely not going back to Gori, but would recommend it  train down and we got a mini bus back from the train station for a tenner a head 
I know nothing :-)
Monaghan abu View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monaghan abu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 9:56pm
was in tbilisi last week and rebecca is still very much in charge  in hangar ,had big 4 july party
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by irish_goat irish_goat wrote:

One thing I found about Tbilisi was that there was no real "centre" and bars/restaurants tended to just be scattered all over the place. There's a nice strip of places directly south of the Hanger bar, grand for food but there wasn't a wile pile of life about them for drinking. Didn't rate the Hanger bar much myself in saying that.

Just remembered today how awful the taxis are in Tblisi. No one seems to know where anywhere is and we struggled to get taximen to understand even when we presented the street names in 3 different languages and showed them on a map!  

Didn't like the Hangar much either, McClarens was a grand spot though, but couldn't really take a huge crowd, service got a lot slower for those not sitting at the bar. Not that I really cared, as I was sitting at the bar, for about 6 days I think. 

Taxis, I would agree & disagree at the same time, we had a fella who brought meself, Reddladd, Kilcruise & Gerrupoutofthat to the wrong stadium (there are 2 football stadiums in Tbilisi, and the other one is a small venue, which was unsurprisingly empty, at the complete other end of the city) . 

Yer same man didn't exactly spare the horses getting to the wrong stadium, doing speeds of about 90 mph in an old battered Mercedes, and much weaving in & out of traffic at the same time,  but when he realised his mistake, and with only 30 minutes to go to kick off, in rush hour traffic, he went to an entirely different level of lunacy altogether, it was quite enjoyable, if you get an oul buzz from being seconds away from certain death, which I seemingly do, even if I hadn't realised it up to that point. Wouldn't say I would necessarily look forward to doing it again, but as a one off experience, I wouldn't knock the Tbilisi taximen...........

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
baresi41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baresi41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 11:05am
Just down from Betsy's, thought this was hilarious. Can't remember the hotel on opposite side of the street from this car, but plenty of our lads in there. Rebecca still there, I hope the the girls still have the tartan mini's on..
colmoc View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
serious foot fetish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colmoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Originally posted by irish_goat irish_goat wrote:

Didn't like the Hangar much either, McClarens was a grand spot though, but couldn't really take a huge crowd, service got a lot slower for those not sitting at the bar. Not that I really cared, as I was sitting at the bar, for about 6 days I think. 

Taxis, I would agree & disagree at the same time, we had a fella who brought meself, Reddladd, Kilcruise & Gerrupoutofthat to the wrong stadium (there are 2 football stadiums in Tbilisi, and the other one is a small venue, which was unsurprisingly empty, at the complete other end of the city) . 

Yer same man didn't exactly spare the horses getting to the wrong stadium, doing speeds of about 90 mph in an old battered Mercedes, and much weaving in & out of traffic at the same time,  but when he realised his mistake, and with only 30 minutes to go to kick off, in rush hour traffic, he went to an entirely different level of lunacy altogether, it was quite enjoyable, if you get an oul buzz from being seconds away from certain death, which I seemingly do, even if I hadn't realised it up to that point. Wouldn't say I would necessarily look forward to doing it again, but as a one off experience, I wouldn't knock the Tbilisi taximen...........

really enjoyed our in depth chat on the flight from Tbilisi to Istanbul
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 9:48pm
Ha !! LOL

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
irish_goat View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_goat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2016 at 11:11am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Similar experience ourselves and we weren't in any rush yet your man still felt the need to overtake on a roundabouts whilst doing 50kmh. No need for indicators over there when you can just beep the horn as well, apparently. My fears were only made worse when I realised right behind my seat was a massive gas tank that was running the car. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 49>
  Share Topic