You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Georgia - 12th Oct 2019- Travel & Acomm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 171>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyronebhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 5:43pm
Probably will just try and get head down in airport after few beers rather than go into town. We had
six-hour layover in Glasgow on way to Malta for game in 1999 and very nearly missed the plane after going on rip in city... surreal experience to hear your names being announced all over an airport telling you the gate's about to close Embarrassed
Northmen, Southmen, Comrades All
Sponsored Links

baresi41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baresi41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2016 at 1:26pm
Turkish Airlines Dublin - Istanbul -Tbilisi works out at €462 presently that's Thursday -Monday. Ukrainian Airlines London Gatwick - Kiev - Tbilisi return out Thursday back Sunday works out at £254 stg. Ryanair and Aerlingus fly into Gatwick cheap enough most days approx €70 return. Good times out of Dublin.

Flights back to Gatwick early morning from Tbilisi give you plenty of time to connect onward to Dublin.
FRANCO BARESI: Always supporting the green brigade
willmcc83 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willmcc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2016 at 3:01pm
Stupid question - is the Station Square metro on Freedom Square.. The map I'm looking at on booking.com doesn't actually say Freedom anywhere..
Time To Get Behind Mick & The Team
manulike View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manulike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2016 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by willmcc83 willmcc83 wrote:

Stupid question - is the Station Square metro on Freedom Square.. The map I'm looking at on booking.com doesn't actually say Freedom anywhere..

Station Square is about 4km North of Freedom Square.
It looks very handy for the Dinamo Stadium, though - less than 1km...

Pushkin Square and Freedom Sq are the two which are spitting distance from eachother
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2016 at 10:56pm
4 day trip enough ?
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2016 at 11:07pm
Plenty. If you've not been before, I'd recommend a day trip up to Gori and the Stalin museum and a day trip to the mountains. That's two days and match day is a third day, so that's perfect. I assume you mean four days and three nights. That actually might only leave one full free day but that's still fine.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 7:47am
Four full days is ideal but remember it takes the guts of a day to get there and you'll be leaving more than likely on a flight in the early hours.

The last time i went for 3 nights but in reality I was only in Georgia for little over 36 hours given the long haul (left London on Friday midday arriving at Tbilisi airport in the early hours of Saturday morning and left after the match on a 4am flight on Sunday night / Monday morning).

Edited by colemanY2K - 28 Sep 2016 at 7:52am
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 8:21am
Anyone booking this now remember we have a home game on the Tuesday night. For us culchies it might be an idea to fly back to dublin on the Monday evening and stay in Dublin that night for the game on Tuesday
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
willmcc83 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willmcc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 8:26am
Originally posted by manulike manulike wrote:

Originally posted by willmcc83 willmcc83 wrote:

Station Square is about 4km North of Freedom Square.
It looks very handy for the Dinamo Stadium, though - less than 1km...

Pushkin Square and Freedom Sq are the two which are spitting distance from eachother

Cheers pal
Time To Get Behind Mick & The Team
irish_goat View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_goat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 8:46am
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Plenty. If you've not been before, I'd recommend a day trip up to Gori and the Stalin museum and a day trip to the mountains. 

I'd combine those into the one day. That's what we did anyway. Didn't feel like there's enough in Gori to last a full day anyway. 
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 9:03am
Originally posted by irish_goat irish_goat wrote:

Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Plenty. If you've not been before, I'd recommend a day trip up to Gori and the Stalin museum and a day trip to the mountains. 

I'd combine those into the one day. That's what we did anyway. Didn't feel like there's enough in Gori to last a full day anyway. 

Aye there's nothing in Gori apart from the Stalin museum which for those who haven't been is well worth visiting. We even failed to find a restaurant or a bar whilst there.

Anyone into hill walking / hiking would love Georgia. The Caucasus mountains are incredible and littered with walking trails. Just throwing that out there as another thing to do.

http://www.caucasus-trekking.com

Edited by colemanY2K - 28 Sep 2016 at 9:06am
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
irish_goat View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_goat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 10:18am
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Aye there's nothing in Gori apart from the Stalin museum which for those who haven't been is well worth visiting. We even failed to find a restaurant or a bar whilst there. 

Yeah we only found a bakery and then headed back home after the museum. 

For people wondering about how to get to Gori or go see the mountains, you can hire a taxi to take you about. I think we paid €40 and the fella drove us to 3 different places. Was about 6 hours in all so pretty good value. He had originally asked for twice the amount but we knew the going rate and he was happy to take it after a bit of haggling. 
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 10:30am
We did a trip up the Military Road to the mountains in the North not a million miles away from South Ossetia. Had  few stops on the way, mainly around old churches. Taken up to a church in jeeps because you wouldn't do it in a bus. It was an interesting day and I think it was 10.30pm or so before we got back to Tbilisi. We left about 11am so a fairly full day.
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 5:35pm
Yeah, that was a good day. It wasn't expensive either, iirc, and they gave us food and some local fire water that may as well have been petrol.
manchesterbhoy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manchesterbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 11:50am
Just booked this one via Amsterdam and Kiev

Doing the overnight in the dam both ways due to flight times

Flight price all in £225 which includes luggage and seat res on Kim

Flights all linked up so no hassle with delays

Now for a hotel
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 7:11pm
Think I might go to this game. Have always took the safe options on away trips...be nice to go to one of the less traditional away games.

Won't be able to rubber stamp the trip until November though.

What seems to be the best route from Ireland??

Edited by ShamtheRam - 03 Oct 2016 at 7:11pm
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 7:56pm
There are a load of options but it depends on your priorities and whether you are prepared to pay a bit more to fly at more sociable hours, or to deal with three flights rather than two. Also, some of the potential cheaper options haven't gone on sale yet, and those that have might yet come down in price.

A lot of people flew three flights each way last time around, the second two with Pegasus through Istanbul, but they aren't up for sale yet. Most of those options involved Ryanair flights to places like Stansted, Charleroi, Amsterdam and the likes, then two flights from there via Istanbul Sabiha Gokcen.

Even the two flight options (generally with Lufthansa via Munich or Istanbul with Turkish airlines) tend to arrive and leave at mad hours, like arriving in at 3am and leaving at 4am.

If you want to leave Tbilisi at a reasonable hour of the day, rather than like 4am, you'll probably need to spend an overnight somewhere on the way back, although maybe not on the way over, flying with Ukraine International Airlines, via Kiev, with ryanair connections booked separately, whether you're flying via London, Amsterdam, Dusseldorf, or somewhere else. There are loads of options.

This all leaves aside the options that go to and from Kutaisi (rather than Tbilisi) with Wizzair and connecting Ryanair flights to those.... however, the Wizzair flights are pretty expensive at the minute. They are likely to come down in price closer to the time, in a way that some other airlines aren't, and could well end up being the cheapest way there and back, depending on the options.

That all being the case, you might well not need to book yet, but it's hard to know. If you find an option at a reasonable price that you are happy with, just go with it.
brendy_éire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brendy_éire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 9:38pm
I know all the flights aren't up yet, but I can't find any way of leaving Ireland and arriving the same day at any sort of reasonable time. Best seems to be arriving around midnight, most are in the early hours of the morning.
So your choice is to spend a night on the continent or arrive at night. Some of the flights from the continent leave early in the morning, so you could get by without a hotel for the night.
If you chose to arrive at night, just make sure you can still check-in at that time, particularly if it's an apartment.
City Till I Die
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 171>
  Share Topic