You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Georgia - 12th Oct 2019- Travel & Acomm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 138139140141142 171>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_goat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 4:00pm
We didn't even get a guide at the Stalin museum. Just left to our own devices.

Gift shop around the back has a nice range of Stalin coffee mugs too. 
Sponsored Links

belt View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Fantasy Football Champion 17/18

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 3:49pm
Have booked this trip now, two of us doing the double header with the Swiss game.
Leaving Dublin the Wednesday night and getting back the following Wednesday. Stopovers in Moscow and Athens included in the itinerary LOL
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 8:06pm
Does the Baku-Tbilisi train run on a Friday evening?
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by Roberto_Carlow Roberto_Carlow wrote:

Does the Baku-Tbilisi train run on a Friday evening?

Daily but overnight. It leaves at 20:40. You can get a bed in a four bed compartment for about €17 or in a two bed compartment for about €34. And don't forget the need for a visa for Azerbaijan ($23). In total, you should allow €50 for the cost of getting to Tbilisi from Baku.

https://ticket.ady.az/en/tickets will sell you the ticket but you need to show up in the station at least an hour in advance.

I assume the route you are looking at is the following:

10 October
DUB 05:55 - 09:50 BUD Aer Lingus €50
BUD 23:45 - 05:30 GYD Wizzair €69

12 October
Baku 20:40 - 08:55 Tbilisi

That allows a full day in Budapest but no need for a hotel there. You will need one for Baku, obviously, and it is a very early start from Dublin. It's just a pity the Ryanair Dublin to Budapest flight lands at 23:40 and not, say, 20:40. One other thing: the train does cross the border (obviously) so there is a border check. However, that will probably only be an hour or two before you arrive in Tbilisi, but it will take some time, so don't worry if you're still sitting there 90 minutes after arrival.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 23 May 2019 at 8:50pm
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 9:47pm
Nice one SuperDave, remember reading somewhere it was alternate nights from either Yerevan or Baku. Flying from the UK.

Unsure whether to do Kiev or Baku yet
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 11:30pm
I think Yerevan is every other night. However, during the summer, there is also a train from Yerevan to Batumi (at the far end of Georgia on the Black Sea) every other night as well, making a daily schedule during the summer, but it only runs until the end of September.

Yerevan - Tbilisi departs on even days, Tbilisi - Yerevan departs on odd dates.

Incidentally, if you are very brave, there is a direct Kiev - Baku train once a week. However, you'll need a Russian visa for that as well, and it runs through Dagestan.

Also, the direct Ankara - Baku train via Tbilisi should be running by October as well. I think it will be three times a week, maybe twice a week.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 23 May 2019 at 11:40pm
poznan7 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poznan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 1:55pm
Would one hour transfer in Istanbul on the way home be very tight? Haven’t travelled through it before
Bring back the Holy Goalie
brendy_éire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brendy_éire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by poznan7 poznan7 wrote:

Would one hour transfer in Istanbul on the way home be very tight? Haven’t travelled through it before

On the one ticket? If so, you're grand.
Otherwise, which airport?
City Till I Die
poznan7 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poznan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by brendy_éire brendy_éire wrote:

Flight home I'm lookin at is thought Istanbul airport but says it's only 1 hour wait time. Be a disaster to miss it on the way home. I'd imagine if they have it as an option it should be ok. Have you flown out of it?
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 3:00pm

Flight home I'm lookin at is thought Istanbul airport but says it's only 1 hour wait time. Be a disaster to miss it on the way home. I'd imagine if they have it as an option it should be ok. Have you flown out of it?

If it's the 4am one, there's loads of people on it, be fine 
VanBosch View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanBosch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 7:40pm
assume it’s the 10am one, I’d do it (I’m on the 4am one) but it was much more expensive when I booked it. 

If you miss it, Turkish might be able to get you home with their partners or direct the next day. Not ideal I agree but you won’t be out of pocket (work - maybe). 
poznan7 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poznan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by VanBosch VanBosch wrote:

assume it’s the 10am one, I’d do it (I’m on the 4am one) but it was much more expensive when I booked it. 

If you miss it, Turkish might be able to get you home with their partners or direct the next day. Not ideal I agree but you won’t be out of pocket (work - maybe). 

Yeah it’s the 10am flight. Fair play thanks lads
Pauldaly1984 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 12:31pm
anyone that’s done this before able to recommend a reasonable hotel near to where the action will be. Need a 24hr reception as will be arriving at stupid o clock 

Edited by Pauldaly1984 - 27 May 2019 at 12:32pm
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brendy_éire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 1:23pm

It's the new Istanbul airport then, which isn't all that busy just yet. You should be grand.
City Till I Die
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brendy_éire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by Pauldaly1984 Pauldaly1984 wrote:

anyone that’s done this before able to recommend a reasonable hotel near to where the action will be. Need a 24hr reception as will be arriving at stupid o clock 

The accommodation providers are usually ok about arriving a silly times, so you may not need a 24 hour reception. Same goes for check-out.
City Till I Die
Pauldaly1984 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 2:14pm

The accommodation providers are usually ok about arriving a silly times, so you may not need a 24 hour reception. Same goes for check-out.

Any decent Hotels to recommend 
gmfc90 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmfc90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 2:41pm

Any decent Hotels to recommend 

I'm staying in Mercure Tbilisi Old Town. Decent price and well located
Danger here, OH NO
whitesideOnside View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitesideOnside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 5:45pm

Originally posted by VanBosch VanBosch wrote:

I'm doing the one hour layover on the same flight. It should be fine I think.
I've booked it all through Turkish Airlines. I imagine there'll be plenty doing the same. The key will be to be in decent shape and not be making stupid turns or decisions around the airportWackoStern Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 138139140141142 171>
  Share Topic