You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Georgia - 12th Oct 2019- Travel & Acomm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 123124125126127 171>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 1:16am
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

Originally posted by ringerbell ringerbell wrote:

Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

We were going very well at that stage in the qualifiers too. If we are sitting nicely in the table come next October there could be up to 1500 I’d say as many will do the double header. The fact that it was such a great trip last time out apart from the result will attract more too.

I'd be very surprised if more than 1000 did the double header especially with it been in October when annual leave etc be an issue reckon alot will just do 1 of the 2 games and Switzerland will appeal to more as it's easier to get to etc

I can get you to Tbilisi on Saturday for €100, leaving Dublin at 17:05 on the Friday evening.

DUB 17:05 - 21:05 BUD Ryanair €53
BUD 23:55 - 04:55 KUT Wizzair €40
KUT 06:30 - 10:30 TBS GeorgianBus €7

That's for very little. Also, you can get away with working a half day on the Friday. Now, no doubt it is a bit risky with a non-guaranteed connection in Budapest but it's still an option, provided you can sleep on planes and buses.

I think I’d rather spend that weekend in Mountjoy.

A half day’s work then 18 hours travelling and the match 7 hours later LOL

Some of us go on these trips with the aim of enjoying them

Oh I know. I'm heading over on the Thursday and I land in Kutaisi at midnight (9pm Irish time) from Luton but the point is, you can get there without using any annual leave for not very much, if that is your priority. I have a night in Kutaisi and a full day to get down to Tbilisi (I'll do something touristy on the way).

It was really a reply on the annual leave point. Seeing as most people will take the Monday to go to Switzerland anyway, it isn't much more to take the Friday off and head out to Georgia then. There are decent options (including Turkish airlines) that don't involve sh*te like the one above that mean taking the full day rather than a half day.

Indeed, if you go out on the 16:30 Turkish flight to Istanbul on Friday, you can land in Tbilisi at 03:05 (00:05 Irish time), still have a good nights sleep there the night before the match, see the match, and then get the Turkish flight to Istanbul and on to Geneva on Monday, again during the day (10:40 departure from Tbilisi, 21:30 arrival Geneva) and get all those flights for €290. That still isn't madly expensive seeing as it goes directly to Tbilisi and on to Geneva. Long and short of it, there are options there, some for not that much and some for a bit more with less hassle.

Anyway, the basic point was that €100 to get to Georgia without using more than half a day's leave is possible.

Just because it's possible doesn't mean many would opt to do that route personally I'd give it a miss. Your right it's not much more to take the Friday off if you can do so but remember with home games been all midweek games this campaign those outside of Dublin could potentially be using days for them also. I mentioned annual leave as know it was something I'd to think about when booking my own trips this time as using more days than normal with us having 4 games away in space of 9 months 

Even with all that still think the point of us not having more than 1000 doing the double header still stands with more opting to do the Swiss game out of the 2
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
Sponsored Links

SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 2:00am
Ah yeah, I don't disagree with any of that. I'd be surprised if there is anyone on that route - I certainly wouldn't book it. However, hard pressed students or those with only a handful of days leave and the like might go for it. I suppose the key thing is this: if you are already taking three days leave for Switzerland, it isn't much more to take one day extra and go to Georgia as well, and it is even possible to get away with only taking an extra half a day for Georgia (and thanks to those flights, it's not even that expensive).

But if you live outside Dublin this is a tough year for annual leave: of the away games, Gibraltar probably takes one day away (Friday to Sunday), as does Denmark (at least, if not two, Thursday/Friday to Saturday/Sunday), and the double header probably takes another four minimum (Friday to Wednesday), not to mention probably four more days for the home games (counting a half day before and after each one). It's an expensive year, no doubt.
Jasonic View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasonic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 8:05pm

Ah yeah, I don't disagree with any of that. I'd be surprised if there is anyone on that route - I certainly wouldn't book it. However, hard pressed students or those with only a handful of days leave and the like might go for it. I suppose the key thing is this: if you are already taking three days leave for Switzerland, it isn't much more to take one day extra and go to Georgia as well, and it is even possible to get away with only taking an extra half a day for Georgia (and thanks to those flights, it's not even that expensive).

But if you live outside Dublin this is a tough year for annual leave: of the away games, Gibraltar probably takes one day away (Friday to Sunday), as does Denmark (at least, if not two, Thursday/Friday to Saturday/Sunday), and the double header probably takes another four minimum (Friday to Wednesday), not to mention probably four more days for the home games (counting a half day before and after each one). It's an expensive year, no doubt.

Annual leave is a killer this time round; 1 day for Gib, 2 for Denmark, and 5 for the double header, plus half days for the home games...I'll be working every bank holiday to get a few days back plus I purchased 3 days annual leave. Throw in a days volunteering which the company will match and at least I can get a few back to keep herself happy.
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 9:12am
Originally posted by Jasonic Jasonic wrote:

Annual leave is a killer this time round; 1 day for Gib, 2 for Denmark, and 5 for the double header, plus half days for the home games...I'll be working every bank holiday to get a few days back plus I purchased 3 days annual leave. Throw in a days volunteering which the company will match and at least I can get a few back to keep herself happy.

How do you do this?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 12:52pm
Some companies allow you to do that, some don't. If your basic contract has 20 days holiday (sake of argument), with 10 public holidays on top, then your basic work days are 230 (260 week days in a year, minus 30 holidays, equals 230).

Say you are on €46,000 (for the sake of easier maths), a lot of companies will allow you to buy extra days holidays for, say, €200 a day (pre-tax, obviously). Some won't even charge the full whack but most will only allow you to buy so many extra days.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

How do you do this?

Ali Express.
davereilly View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davereilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

How do you do this?

Ali Express.

So they take your money straight away, leave you waiting for about 2 months and you might not even get what you paid for? Big smile
Jasonic View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasonic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by davereilly davereilly wrote:

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

How do you do this?

Ali Express.

So they take your money straight away, leave you waiting for about 2 months and you might not even get what you paid for? Big smile

Money is taken from salary over 12 months, less tax, prsi and USC. 
xRedmanLFCx View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 10:52pm

Originally posted by ringerbell ringerbell wrote:

I'd be very surprised if more than 1000 did the double header especially with it been in October when annual leave etc be an issue reckon alot will just do 1 of the 2 games and Switzerland will appeal to more as it's easier to get to etc

I can get you to Tbilisi on Saturday for €100, leaving Dublin at 17:05 on the Friday evening.

DUB 17:05 - 21:05 BUD Ryanair €53
BUD 23:55 - 04:55 KUT Wizzair €40
KUT 06:30 - 10:30 TBS GeorgianBus €7

That's for very little. Also, you can get away with working a half day on the Friday. Now, no doubt it is a bit risky with a non-guaranteed connection in Budapest but it's still an option, provided you can sleep on planes and buses.

Great post, great information Clap I always appreciate reading your info Clap

A great option for those who don't want to take days off. 

Edited by xRedmanLFCx - 08 Jan 2019 at 10:56pm
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 12:06pm
Just remember, if the first flight is delayed, you're fecked!
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 1:20pm

Just remember, if the first flight is delayed, you're fecked!
Ill be in the same boat as Im going via Amsterdam, Cork to Amsterdam with Aer Lingus and onward with Georgian Air. The bit of comfort that I have is the aircraft should be in cork overnight as its the first departure out of cork. 
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 1:26pm
Aye, but October is peak fog season for Cork airport, is it not?
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 1:28pm
I hear Cork Airport is full of pickpockets these days also. 
Lostandfound View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lostandfound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 1:30pm

Aye, but October is peak fog season for Cork airport, is it not?

LOL
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 1:49pm
Drone sales have rocketed in Cork recently. Worth bearing in mind.
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 2:00pm
Cant understand how they cant disable drones around airports these days, anyway anyone  using drones around cork airport wont see much, unless its a bit of dogging late at night.

Edited by kevincronin2000 - 09 Jan 2019 at 5:51pm
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Cant understand how they cant disable drones around airports these days, anyone anyone  using drones around cork airport wont see much, unless its a bit of dogging late at night.

LOL
Gabrieléire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gabrieléire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Cant understand how they cant disable drones around airports these days, anyone anyone  using drones around cork airport wont see much, unless its a bit of dogging late at night.

Hmmm Kev, you sound quite familiar with the dogging at Cork airport WinkLOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 123124125126127 171>
  Share Topic