You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Georgia - 12th Oct 2019- Travel & Acomm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 171>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 11:34pm
Is around Freedom Square the best area to book?
Sponsored Links

colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 7:45am
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

not bad at all. The centre of the action is along a pedestrian strip which is full of bars and restaurants. The two bars frequented by thr Irish in large numbers the last time are at either end of the strip.. Look for the sioni cathedral near the river. It is bang in the middle of the strip.

...and re: hickster > ya it's very hilly. A bit like Sarajevo you want to be looking for a gaff close to the river.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
irish_goat View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_goat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 10:26am
http://www.google.co.uk/maps/@41.6917173,44.8073105,17.25z

Anywhere around the above would be a decent spot to stay. We stayed on the other side of the river last time and there wasn't much life about it.
manulike View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manulike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 11:33am
Some great photos and loads of reviews here
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g294195-d2301874-Reviews-Old_Town_Altstadt_Tbilisi-Tbilisi.html

Edited by manulike - 13 Sep 2016 at 11:37am
brendy_éire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brendy_éire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

For handiness, yes.  Taxis are dirt cheap and very plentiful, but the drivers are an absolute nightmare.  You'd honestly think they've never seen the place before, none of them know where anything is or how to get there, even if pointed out to them on a map and in three different languages.  It's not the place you want to be using any form of transport bar on foot or by metro.
City Till I Die
Gearoid101 View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gearoid101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 12:50pm
Just booked the Point Hotel Tbilisi

Edited by Gearoid101 - 13 Sep 2016 at 12:51pm
ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 1:51pm
Seems the apartment we have booked is right in the middle of freedom square. Will do the job for the few days we are there and seems to be walking distance to everything
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
irish_goat View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_goat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by ringerbell ringerbell wrote:

Seems the apartment we have booked is right in the middle of freedom square. Will do the job for the few days we are there and seems to be walking distance to everything

We've one there as well. 
Tyronebhoy View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyronebhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2016 at 4:48pm
Booked hotel I was in for last game. North of the river, 10-minute walk from ground and 20 minutes from Freedom Square, happy enough. That's simple part... now, if I could get flights that get me into Tbilisi in daylight!
Northmen, Southmen, Comrades All
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2016 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by Tyronebhoy Tyronebhoy wrote:

Booked hotel I was in for last game. North of the river, 10-minute walk from ground and 20 minutes from Freedom Square, happy enough. That's simple part... now, if I could get flights that get me into Tbilisi in daylight!
Wont happen.....
Monaghan abu View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monaghan abu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 10:17pm
there is a flight at 6 in morning out of Warsaw v kiev get in 15-45
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2016 at 11:10am
Originally posted by Monaghan abu Monaghan abu wrote:

there is a flight at 6 in morning out of Warsaw v kiev get in 15-45

To make that flight would require an overnight stay in Warsaw, no?  It's a bugger gettin' to Tblisi alright.
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyronebhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2016 at 4:47pm
One from Gatwick just after midnight on the Wednesday via Kiev that'll get me in at 4.45pm the same day, looks like the best option. Six-hour stopover in Kiev. Return on day after match gets into Gatwick at 11.25am, with another stopover in Kiev. Handy to get me to and from Belfast. Anybody know if the bars are 24-hour in Kiev Airport? 

Edited by Tyronebhoy - 16 Sep 2016 at 4:48pm
manulike View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manulike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2016 at 11:29pm

One from Gatwick just after midnight on the Wednesday via Kiev that'll get me in at 4.45pm the same day, looks like the best option. Six-hour stopover in Kiev. Return on day after match gets into Gatwick at 11.25am, with another stopover in Kiev. Handy to get me to and from Belfast. Anybody know if the bars are 24-hour in Kiev Airport? 

I was at Kiev airport in March.
Whatever you do, try to stay air-side, as land-side there is only a very small cafe and quite a basic restaurant (that probably sells booze, but I didn't check). Must admit that when I landed (at 1am) the place looked kind of deserted, but I wasn't on the look-out at the time for bars etc.

I stayed in a fairly decent hotel about 5km away from the airport for just 7 euro a night (single room) or 10 euro double - they had a 24 hour restaurant and bar as well ;-)

Let me know if you need their details

Edited by manulike - 16 Sep 2016 at 11:31pm
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyronebhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2016 at 1:48am
Originally posted by manulike manulike wrote:

Whatever you do, try to stay air-side, as land-side there is only a very small cafe and quite a basic restaurant (that probably sells booze, but I didn't check). Must admit that when I landed (at 1am) the place looked kind of deserted, but I wasn't on the look-out at the time for bars etc.

I stayed in a fairly decent hotel about 5km away from the airport for just 7 euro a night (single room) or 10 euro double - they had a 24 hour restaurant and bar as well ;-)

Cheers for the info, appreciate it
wicklowrunner View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wicklowrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 9:29am

You can get this trip for €350 from Dublin...but 2 stopovers... Gatwick & Kiev...
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyronebhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by wicklowrunner wicklowrunner wrote:

You can get this trip for €350 from Dublin...but 2 stopovers... Gatwick & Kiev...

Booked this, slightly different times. Outta Gatwick on the Tuesday night at 11pm, gets me into Tbilisi at 4.20pm on the Wednesday. Back to Gatwick on the Sunday by 11.25am. All via Kiev, 7+ hour stopover on way out but only couple hours on way back. Just over £250. Flights to Gatwick from Belfast cheap during week, so happy enough.

manulike View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manulike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 7:50pm
Note that Kiev airport is a fair way out form the city centre.
Reckon on a good hour by taxi (haggle hard for 300Gv fare - 10 euro) and around 70 to 80 minutes by Sky Bus 322 also called 'Palet' (costs 60Gv - about 2 euro).
Security and passport checks at Kiev were a total breeze - but do allow 40-45 minutes prior to departure, even if you have nothing to check in.
This should give you about 3 hours net time in Kiev.
Enjoy!

Timetable - https://kbp.aero/en/transport/sky-bus/

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 171>
  Share Topic