You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aaron Connolly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9394959697 177>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Lamptey and March brought on ahead of him so far.

Might need three or four more players to get injured before he gets a chance again.

Yeah doesn't bode well, omobamidele and idah sitting down too. Idah comes on in the 90th min to kill time. All three might need loan on Jan 

Omobamidele is absolutely fine where he is one injury and he gets in as they play 3 at the back. He's just turned 19. The other two I can't argue as young attackers need to play regularly and develop. Connolly is screaming for a Championship loan to really kick on. His effort against Swansea recently is a preview as to how good he could be down there. Would benefit him and Brighton long term.
Sponsored Links

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 6:54pm
Maupay substituted on 58 minutes... On comes Mwepu.
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 9:32pm
He really needs a loan move asap
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

No hes doesn't, he needs to get the head down and work his f**king socks off to show his manager hes good enough both on and off the field.

He'll still have the same struggles if he goes out on loan.

Nothing will change with this lad until he sorts himself out first.
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 10:40pm

Could lose a few pounds
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 9:31am
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

No hes doesn't, he needs to get the head down and work his f**king socks off to show his manager hes good enough both on and off the field.

He'll still have the same struggles if he goes out on loan.

Nothing will change with this lad until he sorts himself out first.

Spot on BW 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
SeanC View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 1:23am
at least he got rid of the blonde rinse, I’d be afraid if he went lower divisions either loan or permenant he’d slip off the radar. At least at Brighton he’ll get cup & is back up in league.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 1:21pm
Hopefully he gets another good run out tonight. Has never gotten a chance to build on his 2 goals against Swansea.
Landsdowne90 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landsdowne90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 4:37pm
picked this up from the comment section on the42 (not a good place at the best of times!!), written by a chap Aidan Prior, a different take on the lad that I’ve not seen written much elsewhere
“20hours ago

@Phil Redmond: I used to think the exact same, silly haircuts, diving in games and not looking bothered during the national anthem, the things that drove me mad. Then I did a bit more delving on him, and I came back with a different perception. According to his manager he’s very hard on himself, is always willing to work on his weaknesses, lacks confidence frequently, all being constant themes in his career/personality.
I then watched a couple of interviews of him, which surprised me to. He was quite nervous in both I watched, wasn’t cocky at all, shy and very softly spoken which reminded me he’s only 21. So maybe he needs more time and less expectation placed on his shoulders to deliver for the senior team. If he cuts out the playacting and gets a run of games he should come good.“

Edited by Landsdowne90 - 27 Oct 2021 at 4:38pm
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 5:33pm
I've always been a fan since I saw him run riot for the 21s.
Terrifies defenders and makes goals.
Can score too, but we've yet to see that in the seniors.

I don't care if his hair is green and down to his ankles.
I don't care if he has 44 girlfriends mud-fighting in some Sky2 show.

I do think he hits the ground too easily and too often but I'd not be surprised to hear he is being told to do that.  He wins the team frees and we saw from Duffer's time in the team, this is invaluable at relieving pressure and allowing us a set-piece.

It's a huge ask for him to get regular minutes in the PL, so I agree with the consensus that he'd be better served dropping down a level to get games.
I'd fancy he'd come on very strong for a run of matches.

Edited by Fozz - 27 Oct 2021 at 5:33pm
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by Landsdowne90 Landsdowne90 wrote:

picked this up from the comment section on the42 (not a good place at the best of times!!), written by a chap Aidan Prior, a different take on the lad that I’ve not seen written much elsewhere
“20hours ago

@Phil Redmond: I used to think the exact same, silly haircuts, diving in games and not looking bothered during the national anthem, the things that drove me mad. Then I did a bit more delving on him, and I came back with a different perception. According to his manager he’s very hard on himself, is always willing to work on his weaknesses, lacks confidence frequently, all being constant themes in his career/personality.
I then watched a couple of interviews of him, which surprised me to. He was quite nervous in both I watched, wasn’t cocky at all, shy and very softly spoken which reminded me he’s only 21. So maybe he needs more time and less expectation placed on his shoulders to deliver for the senior team. If he cuts out the playacting and gets a run of games he should come good.“

Does make sense in fairness, the over confident act always is a sign of a lack of confidence and the lad needs time to mature, we as humans all take different times and I think Connolly as a person was thrown in at the deep end but hasn't matured yet. Still plenty to come if and when he cops on. Played v well against Portugal and was v unlucky not to win a peno or score 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 5:55pm
I see he has taken down the picture of his new 'minge mobile' from IG.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 6:45pm
Starts along with Duffy. None of the younger crowd involved.

Edited by Bandwagon - 27 Oct 2021 at 6:45pm
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

I've always been a fan since I saw him run riot for the 21s.
Terrifies defenders and makes goals.
Can score too, but we've yet to see that in the seniors.

I don't care if his hair is green and down to his ankles.
I don't care if he has 44 girlfriends mud-fighting in some Sky2 show.

I do think he hits the ground too easily and too often but I'd not be surprised to hear he is being told to do that.  He wins the team frees and we saw from Duffer's time in the team, this is invaluable at relieving pressure and allowing us a set-piece.

It's a huge ask for him to get regular minutes in the PL, so I agree with the consensus that he'd be better served dropping down a level to get games.
I'd fancy he'd come on very strong for a run of matches.

It's next to impossible for young strikers/forwards in the PL nowadays and I think the Swansea game just showed the sort of damage he could do and the progression he could make dropping to the Championship for 2 seasons on loan.

Not to compare him to Duff or Shane Long but both like Connoly after bursting on the scene in the PL as teens wound up spending a few seasons in the Championship playing regularly and they both benefitted from this enormously long term. Connolly is competing in a League more competitive today then either of those two lads even.

Edited by kevin100 - 27 Oct 2021 at 7:03pm
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 8:16pm
Watching the game on a stream, BT I think? commentator keeps calling Alexis MacAlister, Connolly! Connolly hasnt touched the ball yet so I dont know what he'll be calling him. Its not like their names arent on their shirts!

Edited by Bandwagon - 27 Oct 2021 at 8:17pm
djhegzy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 8:19pm

Watching the game on a stream, BT I think? commentator keeps calling Alexis MacAlister, Connolly! Connolly hasnt touched the ball yet so I dont know what he'll be calling him. Its not like their names arent on their shirts!

he has called Connolly MacAllister every time he has touched it also, he almost got in with a header and the commentator was shouting MACALISTER LOL
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by djhegzy djhegzy wrote:

he has called Connolly MacAllister every time he has touched it also, he almost got in with a header and the commentator was shouting MACALISTER LOL

Yeah just caught him there calling him MacAlister. Gobsh*te LOL
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 8:24pm
33 mins in and looks like he's got it right now. Poor commentary though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9394959697 177>
  Share Topic