You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aaron Connolly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8788899091 178>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 2:59pm
I suspect Connolly will play tonight for Brighton. Some much needed gametime for him. Interesting to see will Ferguson Moran and Furlong get on the bench again. 
Sponsored Links

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

I suspect Connolly will play tonight for Brighton. Some much needed gametime for him. Interesting to see will Ferguson Moran and Furlong get on the bench again. 

I suspect if he doesnt score, he'll be subjected to the same type of criticism that Idah was last night. God forbid he misses a chance or he'll be another on the scrapheap.

Prediction - "He needs a loan to League One"
Idah Dream!
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 5:29pm
He needs to play games, himself Idah and Parrott all need to be playing games so that they learn and develop, you don't do this sitting on the bench, fortunately Parrott is.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

I suspect if he doesnt score, he'll be subjected to the same type of criticism that Idah was last night. God forbid he misses a chance or he'll be another on the scrapheap.

I seriously don't understand why suggesting a player should be looking to play games is so controversial. Idah missed much of last season in the championship due to injury, he's fully fit now and may end up missing most.of this season on the bench. Finding 10 minutes here and there in the premier league won't really develop his game.

Connolly is in a similar position, needs a run of games, bar an injury crisis at Brighton he's unlikely to get that at the moment.

When you look at parrott, he's struggled at Millwall, did better at Ipswich towards the end and has improved much more now at MKDons.

The longer a players sits on the bench, the better they become - said nobody ever.

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 5:57pm
[QUOTE=horsebox]He needs to play games, himself Idah and Parrott all need to be playing games so that they learn and develop, you don't do this sitting on the bench, fortunately Parrott is.

Connolly, Idah and Kelleher are making PL match day squads week in, week out, Parrot wasnt, Molumby wasnt, Hourihane wasnt, thus they went on loan. When they start getting omitted from match day squads then you may have a point. As things stand, their managers who pay their wages want them on their bench, Connolly is on 23k a week ffs. If Pukki, Sargent, Welbeck, Maupay, Alisson pick up injuries then these lads are next in line, meanwhile they are competing for those spots. While this remains the case for all 3 they should absolutely continue to work hard to try and force their way in to the first team. 
Idah Dream!
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 6:21pm

[QUOTE=horsebox]He needs to play games, himself Idah and Parrott all need to be playing games so that they learn and develop, you don't do this sitting on the bench, fortunately Parrott is.

Connolly, Idah and Kelleher are making PL match day squads week in, week out, Parrot wasnt, Molumby wasnt, Hourihane wasnt, thus they went on loan. When they start getting omitted from match day squads then you may have a point. As things stand, their managers who pay their wages want them on their bench, Connolly is on 23k a week ffs. If Pukki, Sargent, Welbeck, Maupay, Alisson pick up injuries then these lads are next in line, meanwhile they are competing for those spots. While this remains the case for all 3 they should absolutely continue to work hard to try and force their way in to the first team. 

John you cant have it both ways. If as you suggest it is up to the players to show the manager why they should be in the team then Idah did little last night to convince Farke. You dismissed criticism of his performance as snipping and negativity yet Idah had a chance last night to say to the manager- don't leave me out. Same if Connolly starts tonight. This is PL level, you either stand out or you will sit on the bench as a back up or have to look at a loan to get some development.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

John you cant have it both ways. If as you suggest it is up to the players to show the manager why they should be in the team then Idah did little last night to convince Farke. You dismissed criticism of his performance as snipping and negativity yet Idah had a chance last night to say to the manager- don't leave me out. Same if Connolly starts tonight. This is PL level, you either stand out or you will sit on the bench as a back up or have to look at a loan to get some development.

What exactly did Tzolis do, he's one of Idah's competitors for a place and Pukki came off the bench and fluffed their best chance of the night. Idah wasnt great 6/10, but he was no worse than either playing against a "very good" centre back partnership. He has got on the pitch in 6 of Norwich's 7 games this season, so he has not exactly languishing in the reserves. BTW players dont just go and look at a loan, their managers decide whether or not the club need them first and foremost.
Idah Dream!
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 6:38pm

Their making match day squads but doing very little else - if you think sitting on the bench is more beneficial for their development as opposed to playing games every single week then your simply wrong. 

Hourihane was making the Villa squads but is simply not good enough for the EPL. He's not a developing player either.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Their making match day squads but doing very little else - if you think sitting on the bench is more beneficial for their development as opposed to playing games every single week then your simply wrong. 

Hourihane was making the Villa squads but is simply not good enough for the EPL. He's not a developing player either.

These lads are assets at three very well run clubs. Their managers are well aware of what they feel is best for their development. Klopp, Potter and Farke have all decided that they want these lads in and around their squads training daily with PL quality players. Now from a selfish Irish fan pov, yes maybe it would be better for us were they playing regularly, but let me assure you that all 3 of these managers are concerned with their assets long term development. I trust their opinion rather than yours.
Idah Dream!
Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 6:48pm
Palace kept Kian Flanagan around when he wanted and needed first team experience, they had him in their u23s for four years, he won scholar of the year and u23 POTY. It suited Palace because they might have needed to call on him. He's had to drop to Barnet in the National League at 21 to get game time after Palace moved on without him in their plans. 

There comes a time you have to play, play somewhere because if you don't, you're not developed to pro level  ( however good you were underage  ) & of no interest to anyone at a level Ireland will select from. 

Thats my worry with these lads, they seem very nearly good enough but not quite and need to prove if they have it. 
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 7:01pm

He needs to play regular first team football regardless of the level. The higher the level he can get, the better. But we really need our young players playing week in week out.

Players would do well to look at what bazunu is doing and how it's working out for him
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by Scissors Kick Scissors Kick wrote:

Palace kept Kian Flanagan around when he wanted and needed first team experience, they had him in their u23s for four years, he won scholar of the year and u23 POTY. It suited Palace because they might have needed to call on him. He's had to drop to Barnet in the National League at 21 to get game time after Palace moved on without him in their plans. 

There comes a time you have to play, play somewhere because if you don't, you're not developed to pro level  ( however good you were underage  ) & of no interest to anyone at a level Ireland will select from. 

Thats my worry with these lads, they seem very nearly good enough but not quite and need to prove if they have it. 

In my view, that's a different scenario, these are not young lads playing in the U23s, these are lads consistently making match day squads, basically on the fringes of the first team. I have already said that if this stops being the case, then they may need to sit down with their managers and work out what is best for them. Obviously in the here and now, we as Irish fans want these lads playing regular minutes, because our needs are urgent, but as I said, they are at well run clubs with top class managers who probably know a bit more about what's best for their long term development than we do. Klopp in particular has been pretty straight with young players who he feels aren't good enough - he is unequivocal about Kelleher and indeed made the point quite forcibly last night in his post match interview. Potter has been extremely supportive of Connolly despite his well publicised indiscretions. 
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 7:28pm
connolly starts, furlong on the bench!
Idah Dream!
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 7:30pm

Edited by J89 - 22 Sep 2021 at 7:31pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 7:35pm

These lads are assets at three very well run clubs. Their managers are well aware of what they feel is best for their development. Klopp, Potter and Farke have all decided that they want these lads in and around their squads training daily with PL quality players. Now from a selfish Irish fan pov, yes maybe it would be better for us were they playing regularly, but let me assure you that all 3 of these managers are concerned with their assets long term development. I trust their opinion rather than yours.

LOL
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 7:38pm
Any links to this game?
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 7:54pm

Any links to this game?

Not being televised.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 8:05pm
Scores. (At least i think so this time LOL)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8788899091 178>
  Share Topic