You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aaron Connolly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8687888990 177>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by GoneToShowgies GoneToShowgies wrote:

He'd have won that penalty if he wasnt diving so much in the game. Crying wolf and whining to refs gets you nowhere and then when he is taken out he gets nothing. Its the same for Brighton too. 

It's either a penalty or its not, VAR looked at it and said it wasn't a penalty, I think many, including myself, thought that was a poor decision. 

On the other side, the ref reviewed the penalty from hendrick for about 5 minutes and said it was a penalty, I think that was an incorrect decision too. I mean the fact that he looked at it for so long tells me that he wasn't sure.if you're not sure then you don't give the penalty.

A fair point with VAR now in play. But VAR are people too, like refs, and if there is a lad with previous for diving then that could well swing it either way if its a tight decision. 
Sponsored Links

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 12:20pm
He's a young player learning the game at the highest level still. Just think we should ease off the abuse of him, seems to be too much after last night. 

Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

you would wonder the lads who watch the game last night and can’t see any good in Connolly, do they have any clue about football.  He was a constant threat to the Portugal back four and he was a huge out ball for us to relieve pressure and as someone else said get into their box.  He is wasteful.  If he wasn’t he would be starting every week in the PL and would be a top player.  There is a player there but needs to work on his final end product.  

Posted this in the matchday thread earlier. Agree there's a player there. He was massively overhyped after the two goals he got for Brighton in 2019, seems to have gone to his head a bit. Someone really needs to get a hold of him.

Connolly had two very good chances, the first when he was one on one and dragged the ball to his left instead of opening the goal up by moving it right. Even more bizarre when you then see he took the shot on with his right foot.

Second one he blazed over the bar when he should have at least worked the keeper. There was at least another one he skied. And it was a stonewall pen when he was barged over. 

His decision making needs a lot of work. He is the sort of player whose style means he creates chances or is in the areas when they arrive but his finishing is very poor. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

There is most definitely a player in there. 
+1... Unfortunately he is an extremely rough diamond at the moment. He has a lot to work on. 
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

He's a young player learning the game at the highest level still. Just think we should ease off the abuse of him, seems to be too much after last night. 

100%
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 12:34pm
After looking back i think it was defo a peno on him from the Egan knockdown. VAR should surely have at least got the ref to look at that. Only really looking t it again now.
I love beer gardens
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 12:37pm
The ref only seemed interested in VAR if it would benefit Ronaldo

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

The ref only seemed interested in VAR if it would benefit Ronaldo

ya and he didnt seem to want to entertain irish players on the ground. Doherty went down a few times and he seemed to think he was just play acting. 
I love beer gardens
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

+1... Unfortunately he is an extremely rough diamond at the moment. He has a lot to work on. 

Idah is 20, parrott is 19 and connolly is 21. All of them are in an around the same age. All of them still learning the game.

Connolly has
42 premier league appearances. Most as a sub. And 5 premier league goals.

Idah has
14 premier league games, all as Sub and no goals,
he has 17 championship appearances (mostly sub) and 3 goals.

Parrot has 
2 premier league appearances (sub) no goals 
11 championship appearances, no goals 
23 league one appearances 4 goals 
6 International senior caps and 2 goals.

All in all I would say Connolly is doing better than the others, I think he's going to get more premier league appearances than idah and he'll get more goals too.

I think parrott is going to has a good year this season and will add to his goals tally, performances have looked really good and playing in the overly physical league 1 will do him well.

I think idah is going to get 10-15 mins here and there with Norwich as they face a relegation battle. Would do better with a loan.

Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

After looking back i think it was defo a peno on him from the Egan knockdown. VAR should surely have at least got the ref to look at that. Only really looking t it again now.

Someone said in analysis VAR suggested he look at it and he wasn't interested. Can't remember who or how they'd know but definitely heard that. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
greengooner View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greengooner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 12:57pm

Idah is 20, parrott is 19 and connolly is 21. All of them are in an around the same age. All of them still learning the game.

Connolly has
7 international appearances and no goals

Idah has
8 international appearances and no goals

Parrot has 

All in all I would say Connolly is doing better than the others, I think he's going to get more premier league appearances than idah and he'll get more goals too.

I think parrott is going to has a good year this season and will add to his goals tally, performances have looked really good and playing in the overly physical league 1 will do him well.

I think idah is going to get 10-15 mins here and there with Norwich as they face a relegation battle. Would do better with a loan.

ok here's the international stats for the 3 of them.

Parrott 6 caps 2 goals
Connolly 7 caps 0 goals
Idah 8 caps 0 goals

I can't figure how it can be argued that Connolly is doing better than Parrott LOL

Edited by greengooner - 02 Sep 2021 at 2:59pm
Platini are you listening
You'd better keep your trophy glistening
Cos we'll be over next year
To drink all your beer,
Walking in an Irish Wonderland.
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by orourkeda orourkeda wrote:

Maybe this is just me.

If he continues the way he is going then we could have another Aiden McGeady on our hands.

By that I mean, a player who huffs and puffs and provides no end product. A player who almost inevitably either runs down a dead end, misses his cross or makes a mess of his effort on goal.

Someone needs to coach this out of him.

Nobody gets it right all the time and you cant expect them too but he needs to be more productive. This doesn't necessarily mean more goals but more positive contributions.

That man has assisted more Irish goals than anyone else in history. Confused 

Let's not let facts get in the way of your revionism though 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
TheNumber6 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNumber6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 1:59pm
If Connolly comes close to Aiden’s level he’ll be doing well 
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 2:24pm
I hope he becomes the player we need, but at the moment he's very frustrating to watch. Kinda similar to Traore at Wolves, he has to add end product to his game at some point. At the moment the diving, play acting and moaning is bringing unwanted attention. He needs to keep the head down and focus on football. Potter isn't a bad manager, he sees something in him obviously.

Idah and himself are very similar standards, and similar experience. Both huffed and puffed a lot last night, ran the channels, were a threat. Idah focuses on the football and gets a lot less sh*t about it
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 2:30pm

Connolly has

Idah has

Parrot has 

And obafemi has 4 premier league goals and he’s not In the squad.

All Connolly did was use his legs last night decision making was cat.

Surely obafemi could have offered at least the same can’t figure why he isn’t in the squad 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 2:39pm
because Kenny has worked with him at u21 and obviously thinks that he doesn’t follow his tactical instructions the way he wants to.  

Saw him against Italy at home and he was poor in relation to carrying out tactical instructions.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 5:46pm
That was a good performance from Connolly, helped relive the pressure ran good channels and some decent link up with Idah. Obviously when it mattered most he made wrong decisions. A good run of club games would surely sort that out. 

He needs a slap for his dive last night and why Potter hasn't sorted that out with him as he has done it numerous times with Brighton, maybe he has and it hasn't worked? 

Anyway, I hope he gets more game time over the next two games. 

It would damage this forums' reputation
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 7:48pm
It feels like he could be announced as the Taliban’s head of government and Potter would still use his next press conference to say the matter had been dealt with internally and that Aaron Connolly deserves another chance to be reintegrated in the Brighton squad. Once he flies back from chairing a cabinet meeting in Kabul.

From a Brighton fan blog 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8687888990 177>
  Share Topic