You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aaron Connolly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7576777879 178>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Unused sub again today as Brighton lose to Wolves. Meanwhile Neal Maupay gets another full game despite having 1 goal in his last 17 games.

He's still their top goal scorer and a better player than Connolly, Maupay was top goal scorer last season too.

He has 5 goals from open play in 29 starts. Connolly has 2 goals from 9 starts.

A 5.8 scoring ratio and a 4.5 scoring ratio.

If Potter persevered with Connolly nearly as much, Connolly would at the least match whatever Maupay conjures.

Connolly's return from injury pretty much sums up his Brighton career so far. He comes off the bench against Sheffield United and then he's an unused sub for the next two games. He'll probably start the next game and be back on the bench for the one after. There's no stability at all.

I hope he gets a Championship loan to a team like Swansea or Bournemouth next season.
Sponsored Links

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 5:51pm
If Connolly played the same amount of time as Maupay, Maupay would still have more goals.

It doesn't help that he's too unreliable due to injuries.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 5:56pm
Nice stats them I disagreed but those stats do provide perspective. It’s very very hard as a young attacker in the PL nowadays it’s so competitive. Greenwood Foden etc are the few and they are exceptions they are the top 7/8 as regards U21 attackers in world football not the rule. 

Neto another one of the select few is getting linked with all the big clubs and he has 5 goals and 5 assists in 35 games. Connolly himself was getting described as the perfect link player type singing for Liverpool and Leicester last year. Young attackers between 18-22 are so rare. 

Swansea would be a great spot for either Connolly or Obafemi I think. Would suit both players to a tee and they would get plenty gametime as Swansea don’t have a huge squad. 

Edited by kevin100 - 09 May 2021 at 5:56pm
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 9:32am
The stats comparisons aren't really valid.

Maupay has had a regular run in this team and as such should be a lot sharper. Connolly has had some bad injuries and has been in and out of the team. Hard to get goals consistently when you're always building match sharpness.

If Connolly stays fit, I think he should be able to displace either Welbeck or Maupay and secure a regular starting spot next year. The key is staying fit.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 9:45am
The jury is still out on Connolly. It would be very hard to build any plans around him. I think they are crying out for a goalscorer though as I think if they had someone more clinical then they would be much higher up the table. Not sure if connolly or maupay are the answer or wellbeck.

Maupay links up great with the team, which play a passing game of football. I watched the first half of wolves match yesterday and I said to myself not for the first time this season, I dont know how they are so low. They were all over wolves and could have had another 2 or 3 by half time. But like what appears to be a lot of games for then this season, they didn't turn their good play into a victory. They seem to have a lot of bad luck too. 

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 11:52pm

If Connolly played the same amount of time as Maupay, Maupay would still have more goals.

Maupay has 5 goals from open play in 29 starts this season.

Connolly has the same amount of goals from open play in 23 starts throughout his entire career.

If they persevered with Connolly for more than 1 or 2 games at a time, his baseline is already better than Maupay at worst, and at best he would greatly exceed it.

They don't work that well together from what I've seen of them, so I don't know why Potter's so beholden to Maupay that he can't take him out of the firing line for once and give Connolly a shot.

Maupay's performances aren't so good that they should preclude Connolly from getting a run of games for the first time since his breakthrough.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 1:12am

Connolly has the same amount of goals from open play in 23 starts throughout his entire career.

If they persevered with Connolly for more than 1 or 2 games at a time, his baseline is already better than Maupay at worst, and at best he would greatly exceed it.

They don't work that well together from what I've seen of them, so I don't know why Potter's so beholden to Maupay that he can't take him out of the firing line for once and give Connolly a shot.

Maupay's performances aren't so good that they should preclude Connolly from getting a run of games for the first time since his breakthrough.

This.

Maupay has scored 18 goals in 5,290 mins of football over 2 seasons for Brighton.

4 of them being penos.

So 5,290/14 = A goal every 378 mins in open play.

Connolly has scored 5 goals in 2,005 mins of football over 2 seasons for Brighton.

2,005/5 = A goal every 401 mins.

Very little between them.

Edited by Bandwagon - 11 May 2021 at 1:13am
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 8:00am
Unfortunately in these cases clubs will always give preference to the player they spent £20 million on. He was one of the early big money signings after Potter went in there so they're probably sticking with him in the hope of justifying the amount paid. Always harder for the lad that came through the youth system and didn't cost a transfer fee in these situations.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 8:38am
If connolly was not getting injured every second game around or if he was making a huge impression in the games he has played then Potter would surely play him more. 

Lasting impression Connolly has made this season are a couple of glaring misses in front of goal and off field antics. 

I definitely think he has talent there but unless he can sort out his fitness first and foremost then he can start to work on other improvements in his game along side the natural experience of playing more, I think he is just going to be a very frustrating player who probably doesn't last in the EPL
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 9:02am

He's injured most of the time, any time he has got a run he has missed some absolute sitter. 

His finishing is diabolical.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 10:00am

It's easy to miss chances when you are not match sharp. With a run of games he finishes some of those easy. 

If Connolly gets the opportunity he will not be found wanting.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 10:27am
Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

It's easy to miss chances when you are not match sharp. With a run of games he finishes some of those easy. 

If Connolly gets the opportunity he will not be found wanting.

He has been found wanting, he has not progressed this season, you could argue he has regressed.

He's missed some absolute sitters. 

The first thing he should be doing is concentrating on his fitness and injury issues. 
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 11:17am
Agree that in order for Connolly to play he needs to try to work out his injury issues.

Potter can't play an injured player so very little point in blaming him for team selection.

Connolly can't stay fit to play for ireland either, covid false possitive tests aside. 

I feel that Idah, obafemi and Connolly would be further along if they didn't suffer with injury at the rate they currently do. 

Next season needs to be a good one from an ireland player perspective. I can't see senior players hendrick, Doherty, mccarthy, hourihane, Long, Brady or Duffy getting better, only worse.

Molumby, knight, connolly, idah have all taken a step backwards this season. i seriously hope that was just a blip.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 11:25am
Danny Welbeck is generally profligate in front of goal and lacking in match fitness so Aaron's in good company there. Maupay also misses sitters. The one in the Sheffield United game was as glaring as any of Connolly's sitters.

Not disputing Connolly has fitness issues dating all the way back to his abortive loan at Luton but his pattern of starting/unused/unused/late sub/unused/starting/sub/unused/unused/unused/late sub/starting isn't going to help in that regard.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 1:01pm

Danny Welbeck is generally profligate in front of goal and lacking in match fitness so Aaron's in good company there. Maupay also misses sitters. The one in the Sheffield United game was as glaring as any of Connolly's sitters.

Not disputing Connolly has fitness issues dating all the way back to his abortive loan at Luton but his pattern of starting/unused/unused/late sub/unused/starting/sub/unused/unused/unused/late sub/starting isn't going to help in that regard.

If Danny Wellbeck was Irish he’d be our best striker by a mile. 

Connolly could do with a run in the first team starting every week. A championship loan would not be the end of the world at his age
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

If Danny Wellbeck was Irish he’d be our best striker by a mile. 

Connolly could do with a run in the first team starting every week. A championship loan would not be the end of the world at his age

We’d kill for a forward with the CV of Danny Welbeck. I would be happy to see Connolly go on loan drop down a level out the way where he will get a consistent run of games. 

Has had as many problems off the field as he has had on it this year. It’s hard to the point of being impossible for young attackers in the PL at the moment to shoot the lights out it’s so competitive for them. Greenwood’s and the Fodens besides it’s non existent and these lads are elite not the rule. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 1:46pm
Welbeck has never scored double figures in a PL season, which is something even Shane Long managed. He hasn't been part of the discussion when it comes to top-tier forwards in the PL for 6 or 7 years. I'm not going to get hung up over the fact he was a backup striker for the worst Arsenal side in over 20 years or played for Man Utd almost a decade ago. Right now, he is just someone who struggles to score goals for teams like Watford and Brighton. And his performances have been, largely, abysmal for the latter any time I've watched him this season.

And, like Connolly, he struggles to stay fit. So that can be used as grist against him as much as it can against Connolly.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 1:52pm

Welbeck has never scored double figures in a PL season, which is something even Shane Long managed. He hasn't been part of the discussion when it comes to top-tier forwards in the PL for 6 or 7 years. I'm not going to get hung up over the fact he was a backup striker for the worst Arsenal side in over 20 years or played for Man Utd almost a decade ago. Right now, he is just someone who struggles to score goals for teams like Watford and Brighton. And his performances have been, largely, abysmal for the latter any time I've watched him this season.

And, like Connolly, he struggles to stay fit. So that can be used as grist against him as much as it can against Connolly.

I accept that. Was more so talking in relative to our current options playing League 1 attackers and kids who are talented but have little to no experience.  

If you take Connollys record and put it with most of Brighton’s attackers Brighton form I doubt it’s that much if any bit worse. Just for his sake with the competition for places his rather turbulent time of things it might be no harm to get away from the club for a year go out on loan. Teams like Barnsley or Swansea would snap your hand off for him on loan I suspect and hed likely play regularly as in start 30 plus games for them both once staying fit.

Edited by kevin100 - 11 May 2021 at 1:53pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7576777879 178>
  Share Topic