Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aaron Connolly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6364656667 178>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 7:39pm
Does anyone think Aaron will be cut from Brighton at the end of the season , either drop down to the championship with the Seagulls or sold on ? 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Sponsored Links

coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Does anyone think Aaron will be cut from Brighton at the end of the season , either drop down to the championship with the Seagulls or sold on ? 

Brighton won’t be going anywhere, and neither will Connolly. 

Maupay will probably get the chop however. They’ve created 65 chances on goal in the last 2 games and scored 0 so it doesn’t take much working out who’s the weak link.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 7:53pm

Brighton unlikely candidates for relegation. West brom and Sheffield utd look finished leaving one place.

The optics on Connolly would look very different had he scored those 2 easy chances. Chances in which 99 out of 100 he would have put in the net.

What Connolly needs is a run of games free from injury and rotation. Difficult in the premier league.

wexfordman1 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wexfordman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 7:55pm

You have to remember that must centre forwards are in their prime from the age 28 to 31 or so even if he has to drop down for a year or two I think hell be a premier league centre forward long term
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 7:58pm
Perhaps a loan move... perhaps Brighton get relegated.

Fact is nobody looks good in a system that is the complete opposite of what suits them. 

He needs to leave Brighton either way and find a team more suitable to him. He is used as a constant scapegoat by the manager and had his confidence removed from his body with all the substitutions. 

He really should have gone to a Norwich, or a Bournemouth this year. Brentford after selling Benrahma would have been the perfect place on loan

He is still very very young in football terms though so... 2-3 years will tell most of the story. He has a lot of very very good attributes to be a big asset to us. A bit vain and attached to social media though.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by Loc Loc wrote:

Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

People are mistaking Connolly for a natural #9 which he is absolutely not, the only concrete #9 Brighton have in their squad is Maupay so the comparisons are completely unfair.
Potter requires his players to be versatile in their positions which Connolly is, he's served on the left as he's done for Ireland so far and he's also served behind the striker requiring him to close down on the left.

People are assuming he's their absolute vocal point of attack and should be scoring every week, his finishing needs to improve but he's not the next Robbie Keane people are expecting him to be. 

I think he's a very talented player and will be our main source of goals under the system Kenny plays, it probably doesn't fill people with hope based on the sitter's he's missed but he'll never be a centre forward for Ireland, much like Brighton he'll always be on the left.

I think there is a misconception that Connolly plays on the left because of the Toulon Tournament. Connolly consistently plus CF in every other game that I have seen him. Even playing for Brighton, Maupay often is the deeper forward and Connolly is always the furthest up top. Think most strikers at 21 are flaky and hopefully they persist with him centrally because we need a striker! 

Or maybe's that's where he's played most of his games for Ireland and Brighton.

It's very uncommon for Brighton to pair up with 2 strikers, the last 4 games alone they've played 
4-2-3-1, 3-4-2-1, 3-5-2, 4-5-1, basically every variation of a 5 man midfield possible, only 1 of them which has 2 strikers which makes it impossible for Connolly to have played there if Maupay occupied the spot!
djhegzy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 8:12pm

People are mistaking Connolly for a natural #9 which he is absolutely not, the only concrete #9 Brighton have in their squad is Maupay so the comparisons are completely unfair.
Potter requires his players to be versatile in their positions which Connolly is, he's served on the left as he's done for Ireland so far and he's also served behind the striker requiring him to close down on the left.

People are assuming he's their absolute vocal point of attack and should be scoring every week, his finishing needs to improve but he's not the next Robbie Keane people are expecting him to be. 

I think he's a very talented player and will be our main source of goals under the system Kenny plays, it probably doesn't fill people with hope based on the sitter's he's missed but he'll never be a centre forward for Ireland, much like Brighton he'll always be on the left.

I think there is a misconception that Connolly plays on the left because of the Toulon Tournament. Connolly consistently plus CF in every other game that I have seen him. Even playing for Brighton, Maupay often is the deeper forward and Connolly is always the furthest up top. Think most strikers at 21 are flaky and hopefully they persist with him centrally because we need a striker! 

It's very uncommon for Brighton to pair up with 2 strikers, the last 4 games alone they've played 
4-2-3-1, 3-4-2-1, 3-5-2, 4-5-1, basically every variation of a 5 man midfield possible, only 1 of them which has 2 strikers which makes it impossible for Connolly to have played there if Maupay occupied the spot!

Maupay plays behind and Connolly plays up top, I have seen most Brighton games this season when Connolly has been playing and he has never played on the left

Edited by djhegzy - 27 Feb 2021 at 8:12pm
Loc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by djhegzy djhegzy wrote:

Maupay plays behind and Connolly plays up top, I have seen most Brighton games this season when Connolly has been playing and he has never played on the left

Thanks - that’s exactly what I’ve seen too.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 8:50pm
I have to say I wouldn't be devastated if Brighton were relegated from an Irish point of view. I think there would be a clear out of the higher paid players and the likes of Connolly and Molumby would have more of a chance to firmly establish themselves in the team. Who knows, maybe even earlier chances for the likes of Evan Ferguson and Andrew Moran over the course of a Championship season. Would also probably mean the end of Graham Potter's time at the club, which might be no harm either.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

He really should have gone to a Norwich, or a Bournemouth this year. Brentford after selling Benrahma would have been the perfect place on loan

Not in a million years.

Until Brentford took Winston Reid on loan from WHU in January - an emergency replacement for the injured Pontus Jansson - they hadn't borrowed another player from anyone for 3 seasons. It simply isn't in their model to develop young players for the benefit of their parent clubs.

Besides which, he wouldn't get near their 1st team. BFC are the highest goalscorers in the Division by a street (61 in 33 games), with new No.9 Ivan Toney having got 25 of them. And his replacement-in-waiting is Marcus Forss (21), who looks a real prospect.

Nor would Connolly get close to playing on either side of either of them in a front 3, when they already have the far more experienced Mbuemo, Canos and Fosu Henry for that role.

I don't know about those other two teams you name, but when you look at who they already have (Norwich), or have signed (Bournemouth), I'm not sure they'd have been interested either?

P.S. I think you meant BFC selling Watkins? Benrahma is a completely different sort of player to Connolly.

Edited by Territorial - 27 Feb 2021 at 11:03pm
cardwizzard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardwizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 11:35pm
 5.41 today, Terri ' I dunno nothing bout Connolly'.  Above he's an expert.

ThickSleepy

Edited by cardwizzard - 27 Feb 2021 at 11:39pm
Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I have to say I wouldn't be devastated if Brighton were relegated from an Irish point of view. I think there would be a clear out of the higher paid players and the likes of Connolly and Molumby would have more of a chance to firmly establish themselves in the team.

Adam Idah   ?     Wasn't Norwich going down supposed to be the making of him.

Its a cop out excuse which doesn't add up. He's getting plenty game time and plenty sights of goal. His miss today wouldn't have been any different had it fallen to him in the Championship  / L1 or L2 because he lacked the bit of calm to knock it in. Tried to bust the net and cleared the crossbar from point blank instead. 
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 12:37am
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

Not in a million years.

Until Brentford took Winston Reid on loan from WHU in January - an emergency replacement for the injured Pontus Jansson - they hadn't borrowed another player from anyone for 3 seasons. It simply isn't in their model to develop young players for the benefit of their parent clubs.

Besides which, he wouldn't get near their 1st team. BFC are the highest goalscorers in the Division by a street (61 in 33 games), with new No.9 Ivan Toney having got 25 of them. And his replacement-in-waiting is Marcus Forss (21), who looks a real prospect.

Nor would Connolly get close to playing on either side of either of them in a front 3, when they already have the far more experienced Mbuemo, Canos and Fosu Henry for that role.

I don't know about those other two teams you name, but when you look at who they already have (Norwich), or have signed (Bournemouth), I'm not sure they'd have been interested either?

P.S. I think you meant BFC selling Watkins? Benrahma is a completely different sort of player to Connolly.

Benrahma played out left for Brentford. I know they are different players. I had forgotten about their model and their academy changes etc but the point was a top championship team or one that plays very good football for his style etc

Edited by Nialler - 28 Feb 2021 at 12:40am
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 4:00am
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Potter strikes me as the worst fears people have of Stephen Kenny. Knocking the ball around, but how much progress have they made compared to the Chris Hughton era?

BTW, my point isn't why bother try knock the ball around, it's that Potter is a bit of a charlatan. 

considering they are now playing teams off the park as opposed to clinging on every match and getting battered I'd say that's a lot of progress. The missing piece of the jigsaw is just a finisher

Getting any sort of top level side to create chances at the rate Brighton do is extremely difficult and he deserves a lot of credit for that, the next step has to be better recruitment to find someone to stick the ball in the next. The £5m or so in wages that Welbeck is stealing for this season could certainly have been put to better use
EdisonCavani View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdisonCavani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 9:25am
Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Potter strikes me as the worst fears people have of Stephen Kenny. Knocking the ball around, but how much progress have they made compared to the Chris Hughton era?

BTW, my point isn't why bother try knock the ball around, it's that Potter is a bit of a charlatan. 

considering they are now playing teams off the park as opposed to clinging on every match and getting battered I'd say that's a lot of progress. The missing piece of the jigsaw is just a finisher

Getting any sort of top level side to create chances at the rate Brighton do is extremely difficult and he deserves a lot of credit for that, the next step has to be better recruitment to find someone to stick the ball in the next. The £5m or so in wages that Welbeck is stealing for this season could certainly have been put to better use
I agree with that. There seems to be a view out there that Brighton are rubbish and Potter is a fraud. Even a Callum Wilson or Danny Ings level striker would make a massive difference to them. I thought Connolly played okay yesterday in the bits and pieces of the match I saw. The miss was a bad one but it wasn’t Ronny Rosenthal like as referred to above.

Edited by EdisonCavani - 28 Feb 2021 at 9:26am
Loc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 9:36am
Originally posted by Scissors Kick Scissors Kick wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I have to say I wouldn't be devastated if Brighton were relegated from an Irish point of view. I think there would be a clear out of the higher paid players and the likes of Connolly and Molumby would have more of a chance to firmly establish themselves in the team.

Adam Idah   ?     Wasn't Norwich going down supposed to be the making of him.

Its a cop out excuse which doesn't add up. He's getting plenty game time and plenty sights of goal. His miss today wouldn't have been any different had it fallen to him in the Championship  / L1 or L2 because he lacked the bit of calm to knock it in. Tried to bust the net and cleared the crossbar from point blank instead. 

Yea it’s a good point re Idah. Disappointing season for him so far. However with regards to the chance being the same in championship/league 1.... I think it’s more about him getting a regular run so that when those chances do come he is more confident and can take them. Maybe it would be better if Brighton stay up but he got a loan to a mid championship team.
Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 11:39am

Maybe it would be better if Brighton stay up but he got a loan to a mid championship team.

Well, maybe but then look at Troy Parrott at Millwall, a mid Championship team loan and he had an awful time of it, that division is a pure beast of a thing and sides fighting like lunatics for points in the middle of it aren't creating chance after chance for young guys to learn to finish. 

Brighton however, are creating lots of chances because week on week, pundits are on about the chances they have missed  ( not just Connolly, all their finishers ). If they find a guy to convert they will be very comfortable in the division, if they don't it will cost Potter his job ultimately so I expect him to go shopping again and Connolly really needs to become part of the solution before that happens. 

He finished these type chances all through his development, he finished them V Spurs early on too. No one can do this for him and he neds to start converting at this level and very soon.  
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 12:15pm
QUOTE=cardwizzard] 5.41 today, Terri ' I dunno nothing bout Connolly'.  Above he's an expert.

ThickSleepy

[/QUOTE]
LOL

Edited by aviva8 - 28 Feb 2021 at 12:16pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6364656667 178>
  Share Topic