You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aaron Connolly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6263646566 178>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 4:49pm
Hows o'shea doing?Robinson seems to be completely out of the picture at the moment 

Edited by aviva8 - 27 Feb 2021 at 4:50pm
Sponsored Links

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

Hows o'shea doing?Robinson seems to be completely out of the picture at the moment 

And yet he makes it into a lot people's Ireland 11. Sad state of affairs we've found ourselves in.
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I have my doubts that Connolly is going to make it at this level long-term but I'd say his goalscoring record is pretty identical to Maupay when you factor in minutes played and take out the penalties Maupay pads out his record with.

Maupay can go months without scoring or playing well and not get dropped. At least Connolly can go back on the bench to be an unused sub in their next game and use that as an excuse for why his confidence is shot.

Maupay has scored 7.

The fact is that. If Connolly plays every game - his minutes per goal rate with just continue to deteriorate.

Kind of like Maupay's continues to deteriorate. 7 in last 45 for Maupay from open play. 5 in last 40 for Connolly from open play. And Maupay has played over twice as many minutes.

Connolly's miss was sh*te. It was harder to miss than it was to score. But as Welbeck's penalty miss just now shows, their problems in front of goal are symptomatic of a greater issue than just Connolly.
When you can’t put the ball in an open net on numerous occasions the blame is squarely on his shoulders.
geansaí View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geansaí Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 4:54pm
I think Potter has to shoulder a lot of the blame for Brightons issues in front of goal, he seems to get a lot of praise for his ability as a manager but ultimately he has the team set up in a way that doesn't allow for scoring goals.
They are all hard work and movement outside the box but by the time they get the ball in front of goal nobody is in position to score, or if they are in there they are wrecked and can't set themselves to take advantage
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

I have my doubts that Connolly is going to make it at this level long-term but I'd say his goalscoring record is pretty identical to Maupay when you factor in minutes played and take out the penalties Maupay pads out his record with.

Maupay can go months without scoring or playing well and not get dropped. At least Connolly can go back on the bench to be an unused sub in their next game and use that as an excuse for why his confidence is shot.

Maupay has scored 7.

The fact is that. If Connolly plays every game - his minutes per goal rate with just continue to deteriorate.

Kind of like Maupay's continues to deteriorate. 7 in last 45 for Maupay from open play. 5 in last 40 for Connolly from open play. And Maupay has played over twice as many minutes.

Connolly's miss was sh*te. It was harder to miss than it was to score. But as Welbeck's penalty miss just now shows, their problems in front of goal are symptomatic of a greater issue than just Connolly.
When you can’t put the ball in an open net on numerous occasions the blame is squarely on his shoulders.

Connolly is becoming increasingly profligate, which we pay more attention to. Maupay has also been consistently wasteful in front of goal over the last several months. It's just confusing to me why Maupay is never taken out of the firing line and Connolly is in and out of the team like a yo-yo. I don't think himself and Connolly even work well together.

A loan to the Championship would've been more beneficial to Connolly than this indecisiveness.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Potter strikes me as the worst fears people have of Stephen Kenny. Knocking the ball around, but how much progress have they made compared to the Chris Hughton era?

BTW, my point isn't why bother try knock the ball around, it's that Potter is a bit of a charlatan. 

They're really lacking someone to put the ball in the net. In any  of their games I've seen recently, they've created more than enough chances to win games, but none of their strikers are able to take them.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 5:03pm

Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

Maupay has scored 7.

Connolly is becoming increasingly profligate, which we pay more attention to. Maupay has also been consistently wasteful in front of goal over the last several months. It's just confusing to me why Maupay is never taken out of the firing line and Connolly is in and out of the team like a yo-yo. I don't think himself and Connolly even work well together.

A loan to the Championship would've been more beneficial to Connolly than this indecisiveness.

Cause when you have two equally wasteful strikers, the young gun tends to always get the chop first. No real serious level of logic is used to come to this decision.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 5:13pm
People are mistaking Connolly for a natural #9 which he is absolutely not, the only concrete #9 Brighton have in their squad is Maupay so the comparisons are completely unfair.
Potter requires his players to be versatile in their positions which Connolly is, he's served on the left as he's done for Ireland so far and he's also served behind the striker requiring him to close down on the left.

People are assuming he's their absolute vocal point of attack and should be scoring every week, his finishing needs to improve but he's not the next Robbie Keane people are expecting him to be. 

I think he's a very talented player and will be our main source of goals under the system Kenny plays, it probably doesn't fill people with hope based on the sitter's he's missed but he'll never be a centre forward for Ireland, much like Brighton he'll always be on the left.

Edited by coyne - 27 Feb 2021 at 5:13pm
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

People are mistaking Connolly for a natural #9 which he is absolutely not, the only concrete #9 Brighton have in their squad is Maupay so the comparisons are completely unfair.
Potter requires his players to be versatile in their positions which Connolly is, he's served on the left as he's done for Ireland so far and he's also served behind the striker requiring him to close down on the left.

People are assuming he's their absolute vocal point of attack and should be scoring every week, his finishing needs to improve but he's not the next Robbie Keane people are expecting him to be. 

I think he's a very talented player and will be our main source of goals under the system Kenny plays, it probably doesn't fill people with hope based on the sitter's he's missed but he'll never be a centre forward for Ireland, much like Brighton he'll always be on the left.

Agreed on most of that, but forget about Keane, Aaron will be lucky to be a Shane Long. Having a goal drought is one thing but missing chances he has is disheartening. 

Is any forward in the Irish set trying to stake a claim?!
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 5:27pm
Connolly is our best forward option but no excuses with missing sitters over the last few games, the good news is that parrott and scully are players playing regularly too, sadly goals are hard to come by.

Molumby may be better off in the Brighton u23s than sitting on the Preston bench. Not a good loan move so far and his progress seems to have stalled.

Robinson not getting a look in anymore but he's sitting on a premier league bench for now so could start in 4 weeks.

Idah maybe needs to follow suit with parrott and scully and get some game time in league 1.

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 5:30pm
Shane Long has less of an excuse for a poor goal scoring record as he is an out and out centre forward.

I always viewed Connolly as more of a wing forward. I think it's a waste with him playing in the centre if he's up there on his own for Ireland. 

It's just a pity he's missing clear chances he should be burying. Once he gets a goal, hopefully he'll start putting those sitters away. He's capable of getting into the right positions which is somewhat positive.  
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 5:41pm

Maupay can go months without scoring or playing well and not get dropped.
Dunno anything about Connolly, but the point about Maupay is that's he's desperate to learn, which means he's continually improving.

He was v.highly rated as a youngster at Nice (numerous under-age caps), but he got badly injured, then fell out with Claude Puel(!), so he went to St.Etienne. When he wasn't getting games there, he dropped down to L2 on loan to Brest, where people began to take notice again.

He had a few clubs interested inc Brighton, who had just been promoted to the PL and were offering higher wages. But he signed for Brentford for £1.6m, because he felt they were better for him at that stage of his career.

He struggled to adapt to England in his first season at GP but stuck with it, scoring 28 goals and being POTY in his second season, causing Brighton to come back and sign him for £20m.

He's not been so prolific at the Amex, which could mean the Championship was his true level, though I personally would still back him.

But if he doesn't make it, it won't be for want of trying. Other players could learn from him. He's a niggly bastard too! LOL

Edited by Territorial - 27 Feb 2021 at 5:43pm
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Shane Long has less of an excuse for a poor goal scoring record as he is an out and out centre forward.

I always viewed Connolly as more of a wing forward. I think it's a waste with him playing in the centre if he's up there on his own for Ireland. 

It's just a pity he's missing clear chances he should be burying. Once he gets a goal, hopefully he'll start putting those sitters away. He's capable of getting into the right positions which is somewhat positive.  

When Graziano Pelle was at Southampton, Long played on either wing or behind the striker quite a bit. And he still managed 15 goals in 39 starts. Before that, he had a more than respectable goalscoring record, netting roughly 1 in every 3 starts just at PL level. Peak numbers that any of our forwards would honestly kill for, and better than anyone since Robbie Keane (Doyle had the best season individually, but far less longevity).

His goalscoring record has fallen off a cliff since, arguably, his best season in the buildup to Euro 2016, but he's only made a combined total of 53 starts and 12 goals - which STILL represents a better goalscoring record for minutes played than Collins/Idah/Connolly/Robinson/Parrott or any other option we have, sometimes substantially so.

If someone goes 20-25 games without scoring it's going to look bad but if half of those appearances are 5 minute cameos, it's naturally going to distort things.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 27 Feb 2021 at 5:51pm
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 7:00pm
The abuse he received after the miss against spurs and spoofer potter leaving him out and than starting him and regardless how he play whips him off first every time, his confidence especially after today again is rock bottom for such a young player.  Having said all that he shouldn't be missing sitters like he did today but a confident Connolly would finish that chance in his sleep.
wexfordman1 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wexfordman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

The abuse he received after the miss against spurs and spoofer potter leaving him out and than starting him and regardless how he play whips him off first every time, his confidence especially after today again is rock bottom for such a young player.  Having said all that he shouldn't be missing sitters like he did today but a confident Connolly would finish that chance in his sleep.

Theres no evidence to suggest this at senior level proven himself to be a good player no doubt but not a goalscorer or finisher
PMc10 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PMc10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 7:15pm
He needs a bit of luck if he wasn't low in confidence he would of side footed it in, Might not have counted anyways which isn't the point as Mupaay looked like he handled it in the lead up..

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by PMc10 PMc10 wrote:

He needs a bit of luck if he wasn't low in confidence he would of side footed it in, Might not have counted anyways which isn't the point as Mupaay looked like he handled it in the lead up..

Any links to this miss? 
Can’t find it in Twitter 

Loc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

I think there is a misconception that Connolly plays on the left because of the Toulon Tournament. Connolly consistently plus CF in every other game that I have seen him. Even playing for Brighton, Maupay often is the deeper forward and Connolly is always the furthest up top. Think most strikers at 21 are flaky and hopefully they persist with him centrally because we need a striker! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6263646566 178>
  Share Topic