You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aaron Connolly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4849505152 178>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Four-Four-Two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Both are consistently unable to score?

he's a 20 year old kid with about 20 starts and 4 premier league goals to his game, is that what we now decide is "consistently unable to score". god help us, people say we overhype but there are just as many who like to cut down youngsters before they've even started
Sponsored Links

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

It's great and all that he's getting good reviews and bigged up by Klopp, etc, but the bottom line is he's just another Irish striker who can't score. 

At this point we need to take having a player playing ok in the premier league as progress.

Absolutely, but who gives a sh!t about that when the ireland games roll around.

You can't score..you can't score. Cry
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by Four-Four-Two Four-Four-Two wrote:

he's a 20 year old kid with about 20 starts and 4 premier league goals to his game, is that what we now decide is "consistently unable to score". god help us, people say we overhype but there are just as many who like to cut down youngsters before they've even started

I just don't think he's a natural goal scorer.

He's a good player, reads the game well, runs the channel, gets in behind defenders. He does all these things pretty well. But he needs too many chances to score.

That's just my opinion.

Last season, he scored 2 goals against Spurs in October, he didn't score again until the the end of the season at the end of July.

He's very similar to Shane Long.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 5:11pm
I would expect Connolly to start for the WC qualifiers if fit. 

Have to say for all of Collins's limitations and there was a few on here saying he was nowhere near good enough especially after the Georgia away game.  Collins, Long and to a lesser extent Hogan, and Maguire are our only real proven strikers at senior level albeit in the second tier of English football. 

I don't think Idah or Curtis have done that bad but either Long or Collins should be starting ahead of him in the WC qualifiers. It would be less pressure to ease Idah or Parrott in as substitutes and ideally if Ireland are already in a wining position in the match. 

Unless we get complete cannon fodder like San Marino in the first WC game in March, I think we need to go back to the tried and tested strikers to get that first win under Kenny. It would be a huge psychological boost. 

Edited by irishmufc - 28 Nov 2020 at 5:14pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
GaretFarellysNutSack View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaretFarellysNutSack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 5:31pm
Really with the head on him his surname should be Ward or McDonagh, it's uncanny
ripbomb View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 5:45pm

a 20 year old doesn't qualify as a kid no more... needs to be playing regularly and fulfilling his potential in next year or two
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 5:54pm
Hes 20,... legs have gone 
Frabhoy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frabhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 5:57pm
20 is still a kid in football.
23/24 will be him coming into his peak.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 6:06pm
Rashford, Owen,.Keane, greenwood, Rooney. These were teenagers.who were/are banging in goals consistently.

Connolly is 20. Rather than trotting out the tired aul... Give him time. He's finding his feet... Maybe we just have to accept that goal wise, he won't be much better than Shane Long or Kevin Doyle. 

From what I've seen of him over the last year he's missed chances that show he just doesn't have that goalscorers instinct.

That's ok though, as he has plenty more to offer besides goals.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 6:17pm
I recall a lot of people trotting out the “I remember when Keane and Duff came on the scene you knew they’d be special” line the other day. Obviously Keane was a standout from a young age but I looked at Duff there his 2nd season playing PL football he scored 1 goal with no assists in 36 appearances 98/99 when he was 19/20 before he played in the Championship for 2 years at 20/21 and 21/22 years of age. 

I wonder if Connolly went down to the Championship with Brighton or dropped down on loan from them next year for 1 season how many on here would be saying “god that’s a step back for him” hes going to be another lad not fulfilling his potential. 

Would ye have said the same about Duff back then naturally no one will answer yes for the sake of playing the role of captain hindsight 😂😂 

On a serious note I was only a small child back when Duff was that young so I don’t know maybe it was obvious even in that year he had 1 goal and no assists in 36 appearances for Blackburn and maybe back then a winger isn’t the same as a winger now but it’s hardly Mbappe numbers either is it? 

Connolly is frustrating in that he does so many things well but can be wasteful. He’s 20 that is young for an attacker by any stretch there’s a new school of football fan it could be that they get their knowledge off FIFA in that they think players should be put out to pasture at 26. 

Many top class attackers Salah If he was Irish would have been written off and Kane who got I think 2 goals in 17 appearances for Leicester in his 3rd season on loan in the Championship would have been undoubtedly written off as well at 20/21 by that logic.

You get exceptions but there aren’t many 20 year old attackers playing close to regularly for PL clubs it is a rarity context is seriously needed it’s not his Parrott Idah Obafemi etcs fault the lack of attacking quality playing for Ireland has been brutal the last 10 years.

Edited by kevin100 - 28 Nov 2020 at 6:19pm
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

I recall a lot of people trotting out the “I remember when Keane and Duff came on the scene you knew they’d be special” line the other day. Obviously Keane was a standout from a young age but I looked at Duff there his 2nd season playing PL football he scored 1 goal with no assists in 36 appearances 98/99 when he was 19/20 before he played in the Championship for 2 years at 20/21 and 21/22 years of age. 

I wonder if Connolly went down to the Championship with Brighton or dropped down on loan from them next year for 1 season how many on here would be saying “god that’s a step back for him” hes going to be another lad not fulfilling his potential. 

Would ye have said the same about Duff back then naturally no one will answer yes for the sake of playing the role of captain hindsight 😂😂 

On a serious note I was only a small child back when Duff was that young so I don’t know maybe it was obvious even in that year he had 1 goal and no assists in 36 appearances for Blackburn and maybe back then a winger isn’t the same as a winger now but it’s hardly Mbappe numbers either is it? 

Connolly is frustrating in that he does so many things well but can be wasteful. He’s 20 that is young for an attacker by any stretch there’s a new school of football fan it could be that they get their knowledge off FIFA in that they think players should be put out to pasture at 26. 

Many top class attackers Salah If he was Irish would have been written off and Kane who got I think 2 goals in 17 appearances for Leicester in his 3rd season on loan in the Championship would have been undoubtedly written off as well at 20/21 by that logic.

You get exceptions but there aren’t many 20 year old attackers playing close to regularly for PL clubs it is a rarity context is seriously needed it’s not his Parrott Idah Obafemi etcs fault the lack of attacking quality playing for Ireland has been brutal the last 10 years.

Duff was showing major glimpses of being a special player early on.  He was never a goalscorer but doing tricks on the wing and beating people.  Young players have a tendency to be inconsistent and he was a little inconsistent especially at international level and did nothing in a green jersey until WC2002.
Even after he was patchy and din't play consistently decently until Trapattoni was manager.

The point is top players are so good they force their way intot he first team even when young and are making progress at senior level.  Keane was so obvious straight away he was going to be a top player.  Was banging in goals at 17 at senior level.

Parrott going out on loan is a good thing but if he doesn't start doing his stuff at senior level then he probably doesn't have what it takes to be a good premier league goalscorer.  

The years go by very quick.  Can't keep saying he's only young.  He needs to make his mark in the next 18 months.

If he really is good enough he is old enough

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 6:32pm

Rashford, Owen,.Keane, greenwood, Rooney. These were teenagers.who were/are banging in goals consistently.

Connolly is 20. Rather than trotting out the tired aul... Give him time. He's finding his feet... Maybe we just have to accept that goal wise, he won't be much better than Shane Long or Kevin Doyle. 

From what I've seen of him over the last year he's missed chances that show he just doesn't have that goalscorers instinct.

When Harry Kane was 20 he was on loan at Leicester and scored 2 in 13 games in the championship.

Mo Salah at 20-21 was scoring 4/5 goals in the Swiss league.

Let’s see how he is performing at 22/23 before writing him off.

Four-Four-Two View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Four-Four-Two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 7:41pm

idiotic thinking. they are the unusual cases, most strikers don't become prolific til their 20's. i keep saying it, but harry kane, 3-4 underwhelming loans at connolly age, and didn't break through in spurs until he was 22/23. look at him now, if he was irish you would have written him off by then 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 8:52pm

idiotic thinking. they are the unusual cases, most strikers don't become prolific til their 20's. i keep saying it, but harry kane, 3-4 underwhelming loans at connolly age, and didn't break through in spurs until he was 22/23. look at him now, if he was irish you would have written him off by then 

He is Irish

GaretFarellysNutSack View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaretFarellysNutSack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 8:54pm
In fairness we have every right to expect our players to fail when we've had no good strikers or midfielders since the two Keanes. The odds are stacked against all our players. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 8:57pm
In all our history the only strikers we ever produced that were decent were Stapleton, Quinn and Keane.  Pretty pathetic production of strikers tbh.

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

In all our history the only strikers we ever produced that were decent were Stapleton, Quinn and Keane.  Pretty pathetic production of strikers tbh.

What about John Aldridge? Then there's Clinton Morrison.

But yes, agree that we've struggled in that area. Robbie Keane being far and away the best and even he wasn't a prolific goalscorer. He was a star player but not a world class player.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

What about John Aldridge? Then there's Clinton Morrison.

But yes, agree that we've struggled in that area. Robbie Keane being far and away the best and even he wasn't a prolific goalscorer. He was a star player but not a world class player.

They weren't produced here.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4849505152 178>
  Share Topic