Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aaron Connolly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 178>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 10:05am
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Back to the stalking players social media accounts and moaning what they do in their spare time ffs.

Get a lass to sit on ya face ffs, might cheer ya up.

Stop trying to be like Doc. He isn’t going to shag you ya know 
Sponsored Links

coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 10:08am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Back to the stalking players social media accounts and moaning what they do in their spare time ffs.

Soz Greta Thunberg
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 10:17am
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Lads it's clear as day that McCarthy selects his squad based on personal relationships he has with players.

He has done a good job in breeding team spirit into a team that has been completely devoid of it over the past eighteen months.

There's a clear argument to be made that Mick doesn't pick what is actually our strongest 23 man squad (on paper) but to be fair we've done OK so far and lets hope it continues.

Judge, Curtis, Hogan, McClean and even Richard Keogh are probably inferior players to say James McCarthy, Brady, Long and Clark, however, there is much of a muchness between the majority of the players in our squad and I think that's why Mick sticks with what he knows.

With that being said, we have no match winner in the team and haven't had one since Robbie Keane.

It's early days for Connolly but he has certain attributes (potentially game winning) that will make it hard for Mick to ignore him.

I expect him to play a part in the next two games. 

He ran riot in a game yesterday against a team of extremely talented players. (Granted Spurs are going through a bad patch).

Our strikers don't score anyway - there is very little risk for Mick in giving Connolly twenty minutes if it's 0-0 approaching the twenty minute mark in Tbilisi.

In fact, I can see Mick loving the idea of lumping it up to James Collins who can head it in behind for Connolly. 

The one thing I would say is that a fully fit McCarthy, Clark, Brady and an inform Shane Long could make a difference. It’s down to experience and ability. None are world beaters, but between getting us to a Euros and a WC Play Off, the actual record with those players is reasonably good.

It would be fantastic if we had Rice, Grealish and to a lesser extent, Kelly to choose from. But we don’t. As such we need to have our squad based on existing players and their quality.

However, I’m still convinced this will be Kenny’s brief, which will include determining what will be done with those players, along with the promising young lads and the existing squad. In theory, we have deep (if not rich) playing resources. But I feel that’s not to this campaign. However, it will be interesting to see what the future holds for the likes of Curtis, Judge and Hogan.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 10:59am

LOL LOL LOL

"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 12:20pm
Traditionally irish teams like to play a big lad up top for the long ball. It's a bit early to speculate I know but with Kenny playing him on the left in favour of the bigger idah lad it may be the case that connolly is played as a left winger rather than his preferred position.

This may be an insight that Kenny may not be as different as all other ireland managers with regard to his approach 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 12:24pm

Soz Greta Thunberg
Embarrassed
willGUFC View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willGUFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 12:26pm
From the little bit I saw of him up until now I thought he is definitely a winger but showed a lot of good movement to get the ball yesterday up front. Good chance he at least makes an appearance of the bench in the next 2 games if we need a goal given that he can play in either position. 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 12:33pm
He looks a bit stocky for 19.
I’m wondering is he a Wayne Rooney or a Shaqiri under that jersey LOL
Jerryfromkerry View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerryfromkerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 12:43pm
He is made for left side of a front three. Exciting to think of him Parrott and Obafemi all starting for Ireland in a couple of years.
No man has the right to fix the boundary to the march of a nation. No man has the right to say to his country “thus far shalt thou go and no further"
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Traditionally irish teams like to play a big lad up top for the long ball. It's a bit early to speculate I know but with Kenny playing him on the left in favour of the bigger idah lad it may be the case that connolly is played as a left winger rather than his preferred position.

This may be an insight that Kenny may not be as different as all other ireland managers with regard to his approach 

Why is it consistently being pedaled that Kenny is going to play some Brazilian like football, with a whole load of 3 foot 4 inch lads on the team. It's utter nonsense and hardly anyone who is looking forward to Kenny becoming manager has said this will be the case.

What Kenny will do is be positive and actually look to win games I would hope. That is a big step after the past 10 years we've endured. Our last 3 managers aim was to not to lose games. That's their aim. I expect Kenny to be far more positive and from there we can hopefully build a successful side over time. It will take a lot of time to recover from the grim hole we are currently in though.

As for the likes of Connolly, you would hope under Kenny such attacking players would flourish. McCarthy was always going to favour workhorses like Whelan, McClean etc. While that's fine, every team needs that quality, you don't want the entire team and squad filled with it to the detriment of actually playing football. It's why Duffy is our main player. It's why McClean is our main creative outlet under McCarthy. Hopefully the more technically gifted players coming through will have a chance to play under our next manager, in a system that will actually play to their strengths. 
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 1:33pm
Himself and Manning weren't long losing the Galway accent.  

Image result for terry mccann
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 1:34pm
157 ish new posts, sweet divine Jaysus 150 of them utter bollocks talk, the forum will be broken next week after poor Connolly is like the fans just watching from the sidelines
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 1:35pm

Some people would think this is football manager the way they’re bashing Mick. 

How can he anticipate what he’s like if he’s never played a first team game before, the same logic hes applied to not calling up Parrott

Nonsense, anyone who saw him last few years knew he was special
eddiebro View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eddiebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 1:36pm
From Micks sound bites it’s as though Mick had never even seen Connolly play at any level until the Armenia u21 game and on the basis of 1 game concluded he was a winger.

I know his contract is brief and bringing in young players isn’t his prerogative but you’d still expect him to have a good knowledge of up and coming players from communications with Kenny etc, that doesn’t seem to be the case.

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

[QUOTE=Left foot]Traditionally irish teams like to play a big lad up top for the long ball. It's a bit early to speculate I know but with Kenny playing him on the left in favour of the bigger idah lad it may be the case that connolly is played as a left winger rather than his preferred position.

Why is it consistently being pedaled that Kenny is going to play some Brazilian like football, with a whole load of 3 foot 4 inch lads on the team. It's utter nonsense and hardly anyone who is looking forward to Kenny becoming manager has said this will be the case.

I don't remember anyone saying anything of the sort. Is this a classic case of Moleman hyperbole.

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Ya you can detect a little english twang coming into his accent i must say.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

[QUOTE=Left foot]Traditionally irish teams like to play a big lad up top for the long ball. It's a bit early to speculate I know but with Kenny playing him on the left in favour of the bigger idah lad it may be the case that connolly is played as a left winger rather than his preferred position.

I don't remember anyone saying anything of the sort. Is this a classic case of Moleman hyperbole.

Surely you mean hypermole and don’t call me surely 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Is that Juergen Klopp with his doctor before his transformation 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 178>
  Share Topic