You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aaron Connolly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 129130131132133 178>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 9:49am
another gem from pundit arena

https://punditarena.com/football/rudi-kinsella/aaron-connolly-jim-crawford-ireland-under-21/

Clown
Sponsored Links

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 12:31pm
You really can't take any criticism of Connolly can you!?

There is nothing derogatory in that either, he's nowhere the senior team at this minute.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 3:08pm
The Punditarena article makes a very good point in my view. Clap

On merit, Connolly will justifiably not get picked for the seniors.

However, Connolly has more than enough to be picked for the U21s, for whom he's been outstanding  in the past.  

It's one of the most important, if not the most important U21 games Ireland have ever played.   

- He is eligible.  

- He is fit.  

- He's playing regular football, even if he's not in scintillating form to justify a senior call-up.  

- He is better than most or arguably all of our options at that level.  

- He could make an outstanding contribution.  

Why not get our best 11 (bar senior call-ups) out there?  

What's there to lose?  Nothing.

And a lot to gain. 

I'd definitely have him in the U21 squad, along with his Serie B colleague, Kerrigan. 

Edited by Luis Amor Rodriguez - 14 Sep 2022 at 3:09pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

However, Connolly has more than enough to be picked for the U21s, for whom he's been outstanding  in the past.  

It's one of the most important, if not the most important U21 games Ireland have ever played.   

- He is eligible.  

- He is fit.  

- He's playing regular football, even if he's not in scintillating form to justify a senior call-up.  

And a lot to gain. 

I'd definitely have him in the U21 squad, along with his Serie B colleague, Kerrigan. 

As long as he himself is amenable to such a call, I'm all for it. Getting to the finals next year would be a big achievement in itself, but it would also be a huge learning opportunity for all of the U21 lads to appear at a major tournament. Ebosele should be in the U21 squad also. Kenny and Crawford should sit down and talk to both himself and Connolly, clear the air and point out the nature of the opportunity in front of them. Either/both will be heroes if they can help get us over this final hurdle. 

Neither should be in the senior squad on merit atm, so given that, we should be aiming to put our best U21 team on the pitch for the two Israel games, both Connolly and Ebosele should be included in the squad.
Idah Dream!
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 3:18pm
He should definitely play in the u21 game. 
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 3:35pm
should be in the senior team without a question.

no point calling up cart horses like hogan and keane. 
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

- He is eligible.  

- He is fit.  

And a lot to gain. 

As long as he himself is amenable to such a call, I'm all for it. Getting to the finals next year would be a big achievement in itself, but it would also be a huge learning opportunity for all of the U21 lads to appear at a major tournament. Ebosele should be in the U21 squad also. Kenny and Crawford should sit down and talk to both himself and Connolly, clear the air and point out the nature of the opportunity in front of them. Either/both will be heroes if they can help get us over this final hurdle. 

Neither should be in the senior squad on merit atm, so given that, we should be aiming to put our best U21 team on the pitch for the two Israel games, both Connolly and Ebosele should be included in the squad.

Fairy sure Connolly said when questioned last year about the u21s he' have no problem playing saying something along the lines of its always an honour to play for your country whatever the level.

Should definitely be considered.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 4:45am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

You really can't take any criticism of Connolly can you!?

There is nothing derogatory in that either, he's nowhere the senior team at this minute.

He seems to have an issue with a few players being criticised. 
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 6:16am
Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

Absolutely. No hat-trick carthorses please. As you said, our Italian stallion is chomping at the bit with an "assist to an assist" this season. 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 8:04am
Compton Connolly
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 8:22am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Absolutely. No hat-trick carthorses please. As you said, our Italian stallion is chomping at the bit with an "assist to an assist" this season. 

LOL
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 8:23am

Hogan is 30 and has zero international goals what's the point?
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 10:47am

Hogan is 30 and has zero international goals what's the point?

I think Connolly would be the first to admit he hasnt done close to enough to force his way back in. I'm far from his biggest fan, but Hogan's performance off the bench against Scotland suggested he still has something to offer. He has backed that up at club level since, so hard to see how Kenny could leave him out.

I really like Connolly as a player and hope he can rekindle his best form in Italy. Would hope to see him do enough to force his way back in ahead of the next campaign. I still think he is potentially the most exciting of our current crop of youngsters, but it's last chance saloon really for the lad. He has to prove he wants it.
Idah Dream!
exgrad View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exgrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 11:12am
Connollys career trajectory is heading only one way unfortunatley.  It will take a lot more to reverse it than people think.  He's dropping levels each season.  In his interview a few weeks ago with Irish Fan TV he mentioned about Potter pretty blanking him in pre season.  Thats not a good sign, Connolly seemed to think it refelected poorly on Potter so not sure his "im a changed man" routine is all it seems.  Hopefully he can turn it around, i don't think he has gone to the right place to do that though.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 11:19am
Originally posted by exgrad exgrad wrote:

Connollys career trajectory is heading only one way unfortunatley.  It will take a lot more to reverse it than people think.  He's dropping levels each season.  In his interview a few weeks ago with Irish Fan TV he mentioned about Potter pretty blanking him in pre season.  Thats not a good sign, Connolly seemed to think it refelected poorly on Potter so not sure his "im a changed man" routine is all it seems.  Hopefully he can turn it around, i don't think he has gone to the right place to do that though.

I'm not sure two loan moves in the space of 9 months (having played for 2.5 years in the EPL before that)  qualifies as "dropping levels each season" LOL  He's played just over 180 minutes for Venezia and has been unlucky not to score in both of their last two games where he has made more than cameo appearances, bit ridiculous to be writing off the loan yet.
We're decent enough..
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 11:34am
I believe an U21 appearance could be just what he needs.
He has the talent and experience to excel in these games, but I'd be actually shocked where he to be named in that squad.
KING-CON View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KING-CON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 12:31pm
Getting named in the U-21 squad according to David Sneyd on twitter. I'm surprised given the Jim Crawford interview on Second Captains yesterday where he indicated he wouldn't bring any senior capped players to the tournament if we qualified. 
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 12:36pm
It’s the right call. He’s nowhere near the senior side at the minute 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 129130131132133 178>
  Share Topic