You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aaron Connolly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 118119120121122 178>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2022 at 2:46pm
Serie B is probably the equivalent of bottom half Championship/top half League 1. So, after how the Middlesbrough loan went, it seems about the right level for him to try to rebuild from. He really does need his next move to be a success, whatever it is.
Sponsored Links

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2022 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Serie B is probably the equivalent of bottom half Championship/top half League 1. So, after how the Middlesbrough loan went, it seems about the right level for him to try to rebuild from. He really does need his next move to be a success, whatever it is.

Just to compare him to another temperamental Irishman, Kyle Lafferty's move to Palermo had a rejuvenating effect on him, having struggled at Championship level.

I wonder if he starts regularly and finds the net in Italy, assuming the move goes through, does he get a call-up or does the move to Serie B make him out of sight, out of mind with Obafemi, Ogbene and Parrott's increased profile and Kenny's penchant for Idah? 
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2022 at 3:13pm
Given Cullen became a nailed on starter for us while playing with Anderlecht, & McGrath getting games while at St Mirren, & all the League 1 players we were calling up, Serie B is easily a good enough standard for inclusion.

If he's playing well & regularly he'll get back in the Ireland squad. We can never have too many options in attack, particularly when you factor in injury records for the likes of Obafemi & Idah.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2022 at 3:38pm
Left field but his options were looking like lower Championship, SPL or League one. New environment in Italy at a decent level in nice city, it might not be a bad thing. 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2022 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

In talks with Venezia according to this and the club have commented on the links as well.

I've got that sinking feeling
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2022 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Left field but his options were looking like lower Championship, SPL or League one. New environment in Italy at a decent level in nice city, it might not be a bad thing. 

Yep, fully agree.
Maybe a season just playing football and outa the limelight is what he really needs.
Hope it works out for him as there's raw talent there.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2022 at 4:33pm
I know absolutely nothing about Venezia and very little about Serie B but away from English nightlife (and media) might be a good idea for Connolly for a year or two.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2022 at 4:46pm
There's nightlife, women and distractions there too.

No point escaping from your issues, when you are the primary one. 

I hope it works for him, but he makes all these decisions himself. Why would attitude change in another country? This is a mentality thing. End of. Do you want to play to the best of your ability, or are you more consumed with your own ego.
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2022 at 5:34pm
The guys been a prick wherever he’s gone in England, he’ll be a prick in Italy as well. If he can play games and score some goals great, but I’ve very little faith.
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 9:19pm
i mean if he plays every week and finds some form i dont think this is a bad move, compared with his likely options which as mentioned are prob bottom of champ/top of league 1 or maybe spl or something. i think its a decent move, hopefully he can get back on track
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 10:01pm
Very hard to know where Connolly is at this stage. An awful lot of potential upside to this move Venezia will be chasing promotion to Serie A and will be fancied to go back up. If it works out and he plays well it's an obvious route back to top flight football for him something which seemed a long way away even a month ago. 

Would definitely be the most left field transferr made by an Irish player this summer if it happens!

Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2022 at 12:24am
Trying to figure out the backstory on Venezia. They seem to have an American chairman who I assume is a shareholder because they are owned by an LLC. There is a handful of American players there too, amongst other nationalities. Ivan Cordoba that played for Inter is sporting director. They have a manager called Ivan Javorcic that had a fairly short and patchy playing career in Italy. But he seems to have worked his way up the ladder in Italy in management having brought a club up to Serie C and another to Serie B. 

No obvious connection I can see for Connolly. 
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2022 at 2:51am
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Trying to figure out the backstory on Venezia. They seem to have an American chairman who I assume is a shareholder because they are owned by an LLC. There is a handful of American players there too, amongst other nationalities. Ivan Cordoba that played for Inter is sporting director. They have a manager called Ivan Javorcic that had a fairly short and patchy playing career in Italy. But he seems to have worked his way up the ladder in Italy in management having brought a club up to Serie C and another to Serie B. 

looked into it a bit- per transfermarkt, connolly has the same agent as aaron hickey (just left bologna for brentford) and josh doig (just left hibernian for hellas verona). the agency is called PLG and it seems that trent alexander arnolds brother is the founder/in charge, they have a few big names including taa, andy robertson, jarrod bowen, as well as jayson molumby. they have a lot of scottish players, but seems that with hickey, doig, and now connolly, there is some sort of italian connection maybe
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2022 at 6:57am
Originally posted by amccarten313 amccarten313 wrote:

Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

looked into it a bit- per transfermarkt, connolly has the same agent as aaron hickey (just left bologna for brentford) and josh doig (just left hibernian for hellas verona). the agency is called PLG and it seems that trent alexander arnolds brother is the founder/in charge, they have a few big names including taa, andy robertson, jarrod bowen, as well as jayson molumby. they have a lot of scottish players, but seems that with hickey, doig, and now connolly, there is some sort of italian connection maybe

Interesting. Cheers. Didn't do Hickey any harm. 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2022 at 11:04am
Talented lad, needs to get his head down out of the spotlight, so this mooted move could be ideal. I wouldnt be writing him off by any means. He's always looked a very good player to me when fully fit and firing. Let's hope it works out for him. He hasnt helped himself with some of the reported off field messing, but some lads do seem to love to hop on a young player when he's down. Needs to knuckle down now and rediscover his mojo.
Idah Dream!
Bukowski View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bukowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2022 at 4:59pm
There's nightlife, women and distractions there too. - Banjaxed

There are of course, but I think there is a no nonsense realism about much of Italian culture, and there is certainly less of the beers! chips! burgers! that is in England.

Let's hope he can do a Troy Parrott and realise you have to put in the hard yards.
"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2022 at 5:00pm
Anybody hear if he is over his heel injury?
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2022 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by Bukowski Bukowski wrote:

There's nightlife, women and distractions there too. - Banjaxed

There are of course, but I think there is a no nonsense realism about much of Italian culture, and there is certainly less of the beers! chips! burgers! that is in England.

Let's hope he can do a Troy Parrott and realise you have to put in the hard yards.

Try getting a beer after midnight in Venice, nigh on impossible! Besides, he'll not be followed around by paparazzi out there - definitely a better environment for him to do some growing up.
Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 118119120121122 178>
  Share Topic