You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aaron Connolly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 133134135136137 177>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Attending Coolio's funeral

Clap
Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2022 at 1:41pm
Is Connolly injured or just not making match day squads? No sign again today. 
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2022 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Is Connolly injured or just not making match day squads? No sign again today. 

Hasnt been making squads since they signed Cherychev
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2022 at 7:34pm
Yeah. I mentioned it before. He wasn't getting in squads before the Israel games so his absence doesn't have anything to do with being injured.

It's been rumoured that he's got back together with Lucinda Strafford. Far be it from me to tell him what to do with his personal life but not sure that relationship, volatile and distracting as it seems, is conducive to him getting back to his best form.

All in all, it's pretty depressing looking at the prospects of our young attackers. The change of scenery hasn't done anything for Connolly despite another drop down the tiers. Idah is still crocked. Parrott hasn't done anything to remove the doubts around his ability to cope at Championship level and now he's got injured right after the fillip of his goal (fortunate as that was). The "luck of the Irish" has eluded Liam Kerrigan, getting injured right after announcing himself for Como with a goal and getting consecutive starts. Colm Whelan out for another six months or so.

A lot of high hopes, likewise, for our goalkeepers but Travers was dropped in no time, Kelleher continues to get injured with alarming frequency and Bazunu is under the microscope big time at Southampton.

Joe Hodge's breakthrough is welcome news but, even with that, as he's played for England in the past, there will be question marks around him if he builds on this and makes more starts at this level.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 13 Oct 2022 at 7:36pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2022 at 10:44pm
"Has not recovered" according to a site I translated. Whatever the case, he's one of two players unavailable for the Frosinone game tomorrow.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 8:45am
His pursuit of the top scorer gong in Serie B is going well anyway 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 9:41am
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

"Has not recovered" according to a site I translated. Whatever the case, he's one of two players unavailable for the Frosinone game tomorrow.

Think he picked up an injury in extra time of the 2nd leg vs Israel, he certainly looked like he was carrying a knock when he was subbed off. If so you'd imagine Venezia arent too pleased, he had the full 90 on the Friday followed by another 105 on the Monday which were near enough his first minutes of the season. Anyway further speculation is pointless, he showed a good attitude dropping back down to the U21s and he looked a cut above that level in both games. Let's just hope he gets back on the pitch soon, he could still be a very important player for us in the upcoming campaign.
Idah Dream!
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 10:44am
Didn't make the squad for 1 Venezia game prior to joining up with the Ireland Under-21's, having  made appearances in all of their 5 opening games. Apparently he wasn't making squads for Venezia all season though? As usual, I'm not sure where these nonsense narratives on Connolly come from.
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 11:06am
Nobody said he wasn't making squads all season. Was merely contradicting what John Nice said about him only not making squads after the U-21 games. Settle down...

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 14 Oct 2022 at 11:10am
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 11:23am
It was an ill-advised move. He should have stayed in the Championship and got his act together. Nobody doubts he has talent, it's between the ears he has shortcomings. Who gives a fat rat's arse whether he's in the whatever-they're-called squad or not. It's when he actually does something he becomes worthy of mention - like putting the little roundy thing in the net.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 11:26am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

It was an ill-advised move. He should have stayed in the Championship and got his act together. Nobody doubts he has talent, it's between the ears he has shortcomings. Who gives a fat rat's arse whether he's in the whatever-they're-called squad or not. It's when he actually does something he becomes worthy of mention - like putting the little roundy thing in the net.

Would he have got a move to a Championship team? His form at Middlesbrough was abysmal. IMO Venezia was a good opportunity for him, but it was contingent on him getting his act together. I'm not sure that's happened TBH. But hopefully that brief blurb on the Italian website means it is just an injury and not anything more nefarious. The fact he didn't make Venezia's last squad before the Israel games, and was able to play in both of them, is a bit concerning though.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 14 Oct 2022 at 11:27am
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 11:42am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Didn't make the squad for 1 Venezia game prior to joining up with the Ireland Under-21's, having  made appearances in all of their 5 opening games. Apparently he wasn't making squads for Venezia all season though? As usual, I'm not sure where these nonsense narratives on Connolly come from.

Correct, it seems people like to kick a man when he's down! I'm looking forward to him proving them wrong in time, he is as talented, if not more so, than any of our young attacking prospects.
Idah Dream!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Correct, it seems people like to kick a man when he's down! I'm looking forward to him proving them wrong in time, he is as talented, if not more so, than any of our young attacking prospects.
For the millionth time - EVERYONE KNOWS HE HAS TALENT. Stating the facts is not kicking him - he's kicked himself. He's put himself down so often he should have handles on his hips. He needs form and goals to become relevant again. Until then he's nothing other than a waste of talent.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

For the millionth time - EVERYONE KNOWS HE HAS TALENT. Stating the facts is not kicking him - he's kicked himself. He's put himself down so often he should have handles on his hips. He needs form and goals to become relevant again. Until then he's nothing other than a waste of talent.

You see that's exactly what I'm talking about, the tone of this thread is so negative about a young lad who is still only 22. Yes he got himself a big contract, perhaps too early in his career and maybe he got a bit carried away, but the entire tone of this thread is negative, speculative and not at all supportive of one of our better prospects. that's what I object to, I just dont get the need to stick the boot in - I'm not going to read through the entire thread again, but some of the stuff posted has just been petty and puerile.
Idah Dream!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 12:26pm
He's 23 in a few months and it looks like he's in a battle to feature again before his birthday. You can't use the sowing wild oats or finding yourself excuse forever. He's already nearly a quarter of the way through a short career. 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 12:44pm
He'll be 30 in less than a decade, he should just pack it in and focus on finding a retirement hobby. Pensionable age is only around the corner!
We're decent enough..
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 12:46pm

He's 23 in a few months and it looks like he's in a battle to feature again before his birthday. You can't use the sowing wild oats or finding yourself excuse forever. He's already nearly a quarter of the way through a short career. 

Thats true, he's now getting to a stage where he needs to get it together sooner rather than later. I was at least in my mid 30s before I kopped on, but he doesnt have that luxury.
Idah Dream!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 12:55pm

Thats true, he's now getting to a stage where he needs to get it together sooner rather than later. I was at least in my mid 30s before I kopped on, but he doesnt have that luxury.

Yeah. Repeated poor performances and questions re: his attitude at Brighton. Struggled and dropped at Middlesbrough. Struggling and dropped at Venezia. I know there have been injury niggles at all three clubs but suitors would be asking if he's living the right kind of lifestyle to avoid getting these niggles. He doesn't have any kind of goalscoring record to fall back on either and the breakthrough performances of his debut season are well in the rearview mirror now. 

Big remaining few months for him if he wants to avoid dropping further down the tiers and having what if regrets about his career in the future.

I'm rooting for him but you'd have to ask what kind of advice and representation he's getting when you see these stories about Lucinda Strafford continuing to turn up in gossip columns.

It's not like he's Jack Grealish and he has the talent and name value to survive stories about inhaling laughing gas and crashing cars. Eventually the hassle is going to supercede any of the benefits in the eyes of clubs.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 22 Oct 2022 at 9:53pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 133134135136137 177>
  Share Topic