You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aaron Connolly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131132133134135 177>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 5:35pm
Fair play to the lad (and Festy) for accepting the call up, hopefully it goes a little way to winning back the doubters.
Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

exgrad View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exgrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 10:52am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by exgrad exgrad wrote:

Connollys career trajectory is heading only one way unfortunatley.  It will take a lot more to reverse it than people think.  He's dropping levels each season.  In his interview a few weeks ago with Irish Fan TV he mentioned about Potter pretty blanking him in pre season.  Thats not a good sign, Connolly seemed to think it refelected poorly on Potter so not sure his "im a changed man" routine is all it seems.  Hopefully he can turn it around, i don't think he has gone to the right place to do that though.

I'm not sure two loan moves in the space of 9 months (having played for 2.5 years in the EPL before that)  qualifies as "dropping levels each season" LOL  He's played just over 180 minutes for Venezia and has been unlucky not to score in both of their last two games where he has made more than cameo appearances, bit ridiculous to be writing off the loan yet.

A couple of years ago he was a premier league player and senior ireland international.  He now plays in Serie B in front of one man and his dog (compared to PL a anyway) and is back in the u21 squad.  That is dropping levels.

The average attendance in Serie B is about 10,000 - I'm not sure you know what you're talking about. He's a young player that has gone out on loan to rediscover some form, that hardly qualifies as a derailed career.

Average attendance for the team he plays for home games is less than 3,000.  He'd be playing in front of similar/more if he went on loan to Shamrock Rovers.  He's been sent out on loan because Brighton have washed their hands of him and obviously weren't too bothered where he went to.  Hopefully he can get his career on track but its a longer journey back than you and others are making out.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 11:51am

Connollys career trajectory is heading only one way unfortunatley.  It will take a lot more to reverse it than people think.  He's dropping levels each season.  In his interview a few weeks ago with Irish Fan TV he mentioned about Potter pretty blanking him in pre season.  Thats not a good sign, Connolly seemed to think it refelected poorly on Potter so not sure his "im a changed man" routine is all it seems.  Hopefully he can turn it around, i don't think he has gone to the right place to do that though.

I'm not sure two loan moves in the space of 9 months (having played for 2.5 years in the EPL before that)  qualifies as "dropping levels each season" LOL  He's played just over 180 minutes for Venezia and has been unlucky not to score in both of their last two games where he has made more than cameo appearances, bit ridiculous to be writing off the loan yet.

A couple of years ago he was a premier league player and senior ireland international.  He now plays in Serie B in front of one man and his dog (compared to PL a anyway) and is back in the u21 squad.  That is dropping levels.

The average attendance in Serie B is about 10,000 - I'm not sure you know what you're talking about. He's a young player that has gone out on loan to rediscover some form, that hardly qualifies as a derailed career.

Average attendance for the team he plays for home games is less than 3,000.  He'd be playing in front of similar/more if he went on loan to Shamrock Rovers.  He's been sent out on loan because Brighton have washed their hands of him and obviously weren't too bothered where he went to.  Hopefully he can get his career on track but its a longer journey back than you and others are making out.

Right - so in other words the average league attendance is 10K and you were talking nonsense, cheers for that. He was sent on loan because Brighton want him getting regular gametime, if they'd "washed their hands of him" then why didn't they just sell him? Absolutely bizarre narrative you're pushing.
We're decent enough..
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 12:09pm
I don't see Connolly ever playing for Brighton again.

Am I right in saying that Connolly has 5 appearances for Venezia with no goals or assists?
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Am I right in saying that Connolly has 5 appearances for Venezia with no goals or assists?

Yes. He does have several assist assist assists, though.
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 1:11pm
Unfortunately for Ireland, we've had a lot of bad luck with some of our biggest teenage prospects over the past 15 years or more. 

Many of them haven't been able to transition from successful youth careers to senior level at the highest level:

• Terry Dixon 
  • Conor Clifford
  • Graham Burke
  • Michael Drennan
  • Sam Byrne
  • Jack Byrne
  • Lee O'Connor
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 1:15pm

That's right. Not a very encouraging start but hopefully he can ramp things up. Joining up with the 21s implies that the attitude is improving and getting the training, coaching, maybe games and meeting some familiar faces is a good way to spend an international window for him. 

As we know, the season hasn't started great for our younger forwards for various reasons and there is only one league goal to show between Connolly, Idah, Parrott and Obafemi. Let's hope form, fitness, chances and attitude start to come in favour of these lads soon. 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

That's right. Not a very encouraging start but hopefully he can ramp things up. Joining up with the 21s implies that the attitude is improving and getting the training, coaching, maybe games and meeting some familiar faces is a good way to spend an international window for him. 

As we know, the season hasn't started great for our younger forwards for various reasons and there is only one league goal to show between Connolly, Idah, Parrott and Obafemi. Let's hope form, fitness, chances and attitude start to come in favour of these lads soon. 

2 starts I thought and 3 fairly brief sub apps. It's way too early to be judging the success or otherwise of this loan spell. Let's see where he's at come December. The first challenge is to tie down a spot in the first team, then he needs goals/assists. Give it time - he's not finished yet - jesus he's still U21 eligible and people are writing him off already.
Idah Dream!
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

2 starts I thought and 3 fairly brief sub apps. It's way too early to be judging the success or otherwise of this loan spell. Let's see where he's at come December. The first challenge is to tie down a spot in the first team, then he needs goals/assists. Give it time - he's not finished yet - jesus he's still U21 eligible and people are writing him off already.

Did I write him off? Please clearly identify what you deem to represent a write off.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 1:36pm

Yeah, 180 minutes in total. As I stated previously, the last 2 games are the first he's actually started and he's been denied by very good saves in both. Nothing too worrying at all.
We're decent enough..
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 2:44pm

Did I write him off? Please clearly identify what you deem to represent a write off.

Apologies I said people are writing him off, I didnt refer to you specifically, it was more a general point regarding some views which have been expressed on here.
Idah Dream!
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

Unfortunately for Ireland, we've had a lot of bad luck with some of our biggest teenage prospects over the past 15 years or more. 

Many of them haven't been able to transition from successful youth careers to senior level at the highest level:

• Terry Dixon 
  • Conor Clifford
  • Graham Burke
  • Michael Drennan
  • Sam Byrne
  • Jack Byrne
  • Lee O'Connor

How many Premiership/Championship games and goals within that cohort? How many international senior caps within that cohort? 

Dixon was cruelly unlucky with injury but maybe Burke, Drennan and Byrne would never have been good enough for a top level career. Connolly can hold his own in the top two tiers of English football. I don't think quality has been the issue. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 5:09pm
I wouldn't have Lee O'Connor in that bracket above, he will have a successful career albeit probably in the lower leagues in the UK, no shame in that to be fair.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 11:17pm

• Terry Dixon 
  • Conor Clifford
  • Graham Burke
  • Michael Drennan
  • Sam Byrne
  • Jack Byrne
  • Lee O'Connor

How many Premiership/Championship games and goals within that cohort? How many international senior caps within that cohort? 

Dixon was cruelly unlucky with injury but maybe Burke, Drennan and Byrne would never have been good enough for a top level career. Connolly can hold his own in the top two tiers of English football. I don't think quality has been the issue. 

From 45 PL games, he's scored 5 goals. A goal every 441 mins.
From 19 Championship games, he's scored 2 goals. A goal every 593 minutes.
From 8 Ireland caps, he's scored 0 goals. 
From 64 combined PL and Championship games, he's assisted 2 goals. 

He had a great record at U21/U23 level for Brighton. 31 goals from 42 games. He hasn't been able to transfer that form to senior level.

Burke was the top goalscorer of The NextGen Series in 2013. He scored 7 goals.

Drennan bagged 6 goals in the same competition. Prolific for Ireland across the age groups.

Sam Byrne was at United at 16 and was scoring regularly for Ireland across all age groups bar U21 level during his teens. He has basically drifted out of the game entirely. He couldn't make an impact in Ireland after 4 years with Everton.

Clifford captained Chelsea to FA Youth Cup success in 2010. He scored the winning goal in the final. He's been bouncing around Irish teams since his late 20s. He currently plays for Bray Wanderers.

Jack Byrne looked great at City. He impressed in The UEFA Youth League and had a solid loan at Cambur. He's bounced around Britain and Ireland since that stint in Holland. Blackburn, Wigan, Oldham, Kilmarnock, Rovers, APOEL, and Rovers again.

O'Connor played 84 times for United between U18, U19 and U21/U23 level. And ever present for Ireland across every age group possible. Even the U21s. Had you told me that he'd be a versatile utility player for a League Two club at 22 when he was 16/17... I would have laughed. Celtic was a disaster for him. He even assisted a goal for Ireland on his senior debut. That might be his only cap. He'll have a decent career. Just not what would have been expected from a teen who was on the books at United and Celtic at one point.

Connolly could join this lot if things don't change for him over the next few months.

CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2022 at 12:59pm
Doesn't make the squad for Venezia today - not sure why. 

Edited by CillDara - 17 Sep 2022 at 12:59pm
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2022 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by CillDara CillDara wrote:

Doesn't make the squad for Venezia today - not sure why. 

Neither does Kerrigan. Doubt clubs would release the players this early would they.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2022 at 2:06pm
Crawford said he was suffering with illness last week which is why he was taken off early. Dont know if thats still the case, but they've also since signed Denis Cheryshev in his position who is named on their bench today.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2022 at 10:47am

• Terry Dixon 
  • Conor Clifford
  • Graham Burke
  • Michael Drennan
  • Sam Byrne
  • Jack Byrne
  • Lee O'Connor

From 45 PL games, he's scored 5 goals. A goal every 441 mins.
From 19 Championship games, he's scored 2 goals. A goal every 593 minutes.
From 8 Ireland caps, he's scored 0 goals. 
From 64 combined PL and Championship games, he's assisted 2 goals. 

He had a great record at U21/U23 level for Brighton. 31 goals from 42 games. He hasn't been able to transfer that form to senior level.

Burke was the top goalscorer of The NextGen Series in 2013. He scored 7 goals.

Drennan bagged 6 goals in the same competition. Prolific for Ireland across the age groups.

Sam Byrne was at United at 16 and was scoring regularly for Ireland across all age groups bar U21 level during his teens. He has basically drifted out of the game entirely. He couldn't make an impact in Ireland after 4 years with Everton.

Clifford captained Chelsea to FA Youth Cup success in 2010. He scored the winning goal in the final. He's been bouncing around Irish teams since his late 20s. He currently plays for Bray Wanderers.

Jack Byrne looked great at City. He impressed in The UEFA Youth League and had a solid loan at Cambur. He's bounced around Britain and Ireland since that stint in Holland. Blackburn, Wigan, Oldham, Kilmarnock, Rovers, APOEL, and Rovers again.

O'Connor played 84 times for United between U18, U19 and U21/U23 level. And ever present for Ireland across every age group possible. Even the U21s. Had you told me that he'd be a versatile utility player for a League Two club at 22 when he was 16/17... I would have laughed. Celtic was a disaster for him. He even assisted a goal for Ireland on his senior debut. That might be his only cap. He'll have a decent career. Just not what would have been expected from a teen who was on the books at United and Celtic at one point.

Connolly could join this lot if things don't change for him over the next few months.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131132133134135 177>
  Share Topic